closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: self isolation but cannot get supplies?

Journeyman

self isolation but cannot get supplies?

Ok so i'm in the category who should self isolate because of existing health issues

so just over two weeks ago i placed an order with Tesco for Click and Collect

been updated occasionally but all items i ordered were within Tesco 'rules' - so max three of many items

total bill nearly £550

went to collect today and i got only £251 of my order

missing many, many essential items - what a joke!

so now i have to go to shops which screws up self isolation

i have no family and would never ask a friend to risk their health for me

the folk at Click and Collect admit its a lottery - the staff completing orders just take from the shelves and never check stocks in the warehouse if its not on the shelf they move on

yet same order could be fully met 6 hours later after a delivery

so i now will shop in physical shops out of necessity

oh their substitution is shit - asked for Smash mashed potato and got three bags of frozen shit!!

Sorry Nick, I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you, but Im sure they are trying their best in very very difficult circumstances.

Are your essentials items really essential?
    I think we all have to lower our expectations at the moment.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Sorry Nick, I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you, but Im sure they are trying their best in very very difficult circumstances.

Are your essentials items really essential?
    I think we all have to lower our expectations at the moment.
    thank you

yes, like toilet rolls ( I have IBS and need more than most!)

Fairy washing up liquid

washing tabs/capsules

mineral water as home water is dreadful

surface wipes - i am subject to infection risk so need to be very clean

coffee - not admittedly truly essential

kitchen roll

i'm not alone and feel for others

what worries me is that items on Click and Collect are denied yet you can walk into the store and buy said items?
    Last edited by nick h; 25th March 2020 at 12:19. Reason: more facts

Master
    Sorry to hear about this Nick; while I'm not in a vulnerable category myself I'd greatly prefer to do the 'click & collect' thing myself at the moment, but all of the slots are taken up for the next couple of months at Tesco, and I assume other supermarkets as well.

Can you get a friend to get stuff for you and leave it at your door?

The last time I did use click & collect at Tesco (about 10 days ago I think) I was provided with items that weren't available in the store at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by nick h View Post
    thank you

Fairy washing up liquid

washing tabs/capsules

kitchen roll

what worries me is that items on Click and Collect are denied yet you can walk into the store and buy said items?
    As you say what they collect is what's on shelves at the time. If they checked warehouse they'd be doing far fewer deliveries.

As for mineral water? Tap water won't kill you (will it?).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    As you say what they collect is what's on shelves at the time. If they checked warehouse they'd be doing far fewer deliveries.

no, it will not kill me so fair comment

but i need to keep hydrated and if it tastes like SHIT its a bit hard

If you have 15-20 quid, a water filter jug may be a good option whilst you're limited. Deliveries are still going ahead from online retailers.

Regarding your orders being trimmed, that's happening to me with online only systems too so the shelf picking issue doesn't apply. Abel and Cole for example say that your orders are protected once you check out, which I did, but they've since removed the entirety of my meat order saying it's no longer available. So what they said about your orders being protected once checked out is a lie.

Their statement about it being protected meant I didn't place an order with anyone else as what I'd checked out with them was sufficient. I'm therefore now unable to order from others as it's now too late. I'll have to head to the shops therefore.

Shoddy.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 25th March 2020 at 12:44.

thank you

Fairy washing up liquid

washing tabs/capsules

kitchen roll

Hi Nick,

Have you had a letter from the NHS regarding self isolation for 12 weeks. The first batch were posted on Monday 23rd and will have landed with some people yesterday and give clear instructions regarding not leaving the house at all. The letter also indicates that there will be support services to source essential shopping and medication. If you have one of these letters you should not be leaving the house for a click and collect. It may be worth checking in the Crohn’s and Colitis UK website for the latest info. Most people with IBS and IBD fall into the low to moderate risk and just have to take the same precautions as everyone else.

When you say you wouldn’t ask a friend to help you with supplies, just be mindful that the reason that people are being asked to do this is if you are high risk not doing this could mean that you end up in hospital taking up resources. The measures are there to protect the NHS and other people as well as your good self. Don’t be shy of asking for help from people around you. It could save valuable resources being diverted to you if you become ill.

I suffer with uncontrolled IBD, no drug stopping flaring or bleeding and started biologics infusions within the last six weeks which apparently puts me in the high risk category due to the high loading doses that impact on my immune system. I thought the hair loss was my biggest problem a few weeks ago!!! My third infusion was last Friday so really bad timing. I have not received a letter as yet and am hoping that I don’t as a 12 week lockdown, isolated from my partner, dogs, friends and family is not very appealing. I am taking usual precautions with some additional measures as my partner has been redeployed from her training role to front line so we have to be very careful.

I think all grocery retailers are doing their best and when someone places a huge order they have to look at what they can provide in what are extraordinary circumstances. Some people panic buying is the cause of much of the chaos. If we all take a breath and realise that we need to make do and follow the guidance given, things will calm down. I was in Tesco last week and saw an elderly lady In front of me trying to buy 5 onions. She was politely told that she could only buy 3. She apologised and was going to put them back. I bought the other two and gave them to her. Outside she told me she was making soup for her and her older neighbours (she must have been 80). I almost got a kiss but we agreed to bump elbows. Which made us both smile.

Keep smiling and stay well.

Chris

Swallow your pride and ask a friend to help when they do their own shopping. I went to a local medium sized Asda at 09:15 today just after the NHS/high risk customer slot, and they had everything on your list. Excellent control on numbers in the store and constant reminders to maintain distance.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have joined the Volunteer NHS just waiting to get clearance, it’s gathering momentum and it’s to help people like you. I really do feel for you as yo are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do not be to proud to ask for help. I may have to to Mansions or Council flats I will not judge no one

To improve the taste of tap water just fill a jug and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours - all the chemical taste dissipates and it tastes much, much better.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Ok so i'm in the category who should self isolate because of existing health issues

so just over two weeks ago i placed an order with Tesco for Click and Collect

been updated occasionally but all items i ordered were within Tesco 'rules' - so max three of many items

total bill nearly £550

went to collect today and i got only £251 of my order

missing many, many essential items - what a joke!

so now i have to go to shops which screws up self isolation

i have no family and would never ask a friend to risk their health for me

the folk at Click and Collect admit its a lottery - the staff completing orders just take from the shelves and never check stocks in the warehouse if its not on the shelf they move on

yet same order could be fully met 6 hours later after a delivery

so i now will shop in physical shops out of necessity

oh their substitution is shit - asked for Smash mashed potato and got three bags of frozen shit!!
    You still got 251 quid of shopping so you’re hardly going to starve!!! Think about some of key workers out there and what they’re going through!

Blog Entries
    Forget bottled water get one of these

https://www.brita.co.uk/fill-and-enjoy/marella
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Swallow your pride and ask a friend to help when they do their own shopping. I went to a local medium sized Asda at 09:15 today just after the NHS/high risk customer slot, and they had everything on your list. Excellent control on numbers in the store and constant reminders to maintain distance.

This, ^^^^^^

MrsG went shopping today (Waitrose) and got pretty much everything she needed except tinned tomato’s and flour. They did have dried Pasta and toilet rolls as well, but she didn’t get any as she thinks we have enough.

I was out getting milk yesterday and even our office Post Office/shop (which is tiny) had Andrex toilet paper and dried “organic” pasta plus lots of veggies.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    You still got 251 quid of shopping so you’re hardly going to starve!!! Think about some of key workers out there and what they’re going through!
    knew there would be 'one' - lol

in fact most of my delivered order was high end wine and vodka - you don't get much for £250!

and the small quantity of food was at the expensive end of the market

could not even get any Americano/Espresso coffee

as for key workers they have my greatest thanks and if i could help them i would but in truth i can do nothing stuck at home

hope that clarifies matters?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    To improve the taste of tap water just fill a jug and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours - all the chemical taste dissipates and it tastes much, much better.
    many thanks for that tip - much appreciated

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

fair comment - BUT the likes of Tesco said they were stopping 24 hour opening to allow staff to restock the shelves overnight?

ergo shelves should be better stocked and as my order was 'picked' during the closed time i had hoped for better?

Journeyman
    i did not order any fresh/chilled food as going on the experiences of a few friends before this crisis the pickers pick the first item on the shelf so often have only one/two days before expiry

when i shop for fresh/chilled i always pick from the back of the shelf to get the longest 'use by' dates

Master
    Blog Entries
    i did not order any fresh/chilled food as going on the experiences of a few friends before this crisis the pickers pick the first item on the shelf so often have only one/two days before expiry

when i shop for fresh/chilled i always pick from the back of the shelf to get the longest 'use by' dates
    Short date is often a problem,that’s another reason I nought a extra freezer if you can find one.

knew there would be 'one' - lol

in fact most of my delivered order was high end wine and vodka - you don't get much for £250!

and the small quantity of food was at the expensive end of the market

as for key workers they have my greatest thanks and if i could help them i would but in truth i can do nothing stuck at home

hope that clarifies matters?

Do you really need all that 'high end wine' and 'vodka'? Why not cut back and make a donation to a local food bank - you know, to people who are REALLY struggling right now. People with little or no disposable income who are finding it hard to feed themselves and their families let alone drink alchohol!

Or is your 'high end wine' and 'vodka' more important? Don't answer that, I think I already know!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

That’s my personal nightmare !

I made sure I bought a few tins when I could.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Sorry but the OP is just a moaner

Our parents got bombed out and shot at and this man moans about not getting everything he wants. Sorry but you can't live through a pandemic and expect 100% service.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Do you really need all that 'high end wine' and 'vodka'? Why not cut back and make a donation to a local food bank - you know, to people who are REALLY struggling right now. People with little or no disposable income who are finding it hard to feed themselves and their families let alone drink alchohol!

Or is your 'high end wine' and 'vodka' more important? Don't answer that, I think I already know!
    what can i donate to a food bank? - non existent food?

and they do not accept alcohol

no point trying to give cash as they cannot buy food

i will not even try and answer your other comment but lets say i have paid more than very many others in tax
    Last edited by nick h; 26th March 2020 at 11:11. Reason: facts

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Sorry but the OP is just a moaner

Our parents got bombed out and shot at and this man moans about not getting everything he wants. Sorry but you can't live through a pandemic and expect 100% service.
    yes, my late father was a prisoner in a German Stalag - hope that helps?

and i have friends in this country and the US who have recently been shot and in some cases terribly injured - and they cannot get food with online shopping so what is your point? - the figures i mentioned?

did i ask for 100% service - no i did not

please back off if you cannot contribute helpfully regarding online/click and collect shopping -

Master
    You would genuinely get a much better result if you asked for help without whining like some spoilt kids

Sorry but that is how you have come across.

I’ve got sympathy that you are trying to self isolate for personal preservation...you definitely should have priority for home delivery over those that are probably using the service and could go to the supermarket with less risk.

On the other hand, to list mineral water as a necessity because tap water tastes bad....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You would genuinely get a much better result if you asked for help without whining like some spoilt kids

Sorry but that is how you have come across.
    sorry you see me as whining - but thats your opinion

i have no right or expectation of others to risk themselves and their loved ones for me - and judging from some of the comments on here you would not other help anyway?

i simply asked about click and collect not fulfilling placed orders to avoid others having to shop on my behalf but some people want to make an issue of anything?

so i will no longer post on this thread - over and out

what can i donate to a food bank? - non existent food?

and they do not accept alcohol

no point trying to give cash as they cannot buy food

i will not even try and answer your other comment but lets say i have paid more than very many others in tax
    Really? I'm glad to have been part of this, a recent donation of £988.75p to a local food bank SO THAT THEY COULD BUY FOOD for those that struggle to afford it! - and I will continue to do so....

And what the Donald Duck has your income tax got to do with the price of fish?

You are showing yourself for what you really are IMO! Greedy and selfish!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I hadn’t even seen the “high end wine and vodka” comment. This thread could easily have been one big troll but sadly I don’t think it is.

I appreciate the general situation of those at higher mortality risk properly trying to self-isolate but the OP really hasn’t done himself any favours in any of his postings. Foot-in-mouth a few times.

Master
    sorry you see me as whining - but thats your opinion

i have no right or expectation of others to risk themselves and their loved ones for me - and judging from some of the comments on here you would not other help anyway?

i simply asked about click and collect not fulfilling placed orders to avoid others having to shop on my behalf but some people want to make an issue of anything?

so i will no longer post on this thread - over and out
    Now you are coming across as a petulant quitter.

All you had to do was explain you are an essential self isolator and that the home delivery service is causing you problems and is there anyone here who could help you out. That would have brought in a much better response.

My wife has a elderly relative in similar circumstances to you and following a "please can someone help me" plea in some local Facebook group, the local vicar is handling deliveries to her door.
    Last edited by Mick P; 26th March 2020 at 12:10.