closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone furloughed from work?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Anyone know what the £2.5k limit applies to? I assume that's not the take home wage, so the max people will actually get is £2.5k minus tax, employer and employee NI, pension payments etc. What will that leave as the actual maximum take home?
    Not sure,but more than my £0.

Guys, thanks for support.of course it’s not just me in this. It’s worldwide and everything all inextricably linked
    Who knows what the future holds for anyone.
    Anyone who guesses and actually calls it right, I take my hat off to them - and they will also be in the wrong profession.

Anyone furloughed from work?

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    We are finally seeing who the important people are, the ones who make a difference to our lives and are doing the crucial jobs we need.

Shop workers ✔ï¸
    Care workers ✔ï¸
    NHS staff ✔ï¸
    Emergency services ✔ï¸
    Farmers ✔ï¸
    Teachers ✔ï¸
    Lorry drivers/delivery people ✔ï¸
    Cleaners ✔ï¸
    Refuse workers ✔ï¸

These people are the ones who keep our country ticking over, the core of our daily lives, the people who regularly go unnoticed and are often frowned upon but keep working hard, generally on a low income.
    People constantly look down on them and gloat that they earn more money than them.

I’m proud of all of these people, they don’t earn enough for what they do, and they’re never appreciated for what they contribute and this episode will open all of our eyes to that fact
    Yes it’s the ones NOT working at home, prattling on the internet all day long.

However, NHS staff is bit of a catch-all. Think plenty of admin/reception staff could easily be shed.

On the other hand, w/o back room staff or warehouse workers, shop workers would have little to sell.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 26th March 2020 at 11:25.

Craftsman
    Thankfully not for us as we are both classed as key workers so still getting paid our wages.

My GF has just been redeployed as a discharge nurse from an NHS commissioning team even though she's never been clinical for around 8 years, needs must and all that though.

I'm currently at work in a huge call centre but sorting my home working equipment soon, i've just handed it all back in a few weeks ago after changing jobs.

My family haven't faired as well though, my brothers tattoo shop is closed indefinitely, my other brother who spends his week in a hazmat suit in asbestos removal is being finished and my daughter a self employed PA was finished last week.

We've come to the conclusion that the little we currently have spare and due the lack of spending over the coming months we should be able to help them out but its pretty shit.

I really feel for everyone in a shit position regardless of the reasons why, it's not going to end soon either.
    Last edited by DiXoN; 26th March 2020 at 14:59.

Anyone know what the £2.5k limit applies to? I assume that's not the take home wage, so the max people will actually get is £2.5k minus tax, employer and employee NI, pension payments etc. What will that leave as the actual maximum take home?
    I believe the 80% is not take-home pay, you will need to take off the NI and tax from that, so say someone earns £2000 per month, 80% is £1600 per month less NI and tax so take home around £1350. That is my understanding of how it will work but they have not given much information.

The guys that have taken it at my place are happy with the 80%, they are stuck at home, can't spend anything, so they can live comfortably. If you can not survive on 80% salary you need to really address your finances. Especially when you consider petrol will be almost nothing, food bill should be lower etc.

Wives business is down 100%, took her 10 yrs to build
    We will survive, still have my job and working daily

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’m wondering if people are being furloughed can the employer top up the 20% out of their pocket to help the employee out? I’ve been asked this by a few people so emailed my Accountant. Not heard back yet. Think he’s snowed under with .... furlough queries.
    I run a small business. We are topping up our staff wages to 100%, whilst we still have money in our account to do so. However, there will be a limit on that goodwill, as we still have rent and bills to pay; wouldn’t make sense to be so generous that our business failed, as then the staff would lose their jobs.

It’s a fine balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I finished my previous role on the 12/02/2020 as I had been paid my leave entitlement and started my new role on the 09/03/2020 and have been told that I cannot go on the Furlough scheme which could put my job at risk. So I really don't know how it turns out in the end. I've even started looking for a new job as a fallback
    As I understand it you can go to your previous employer and ask them to furlough you even though you have left their employment it is at your previous employers discretion if they do so

Master
    I run a recruitment and consultancy business and there is lots employers can do YET in my experience many arent aware what they can and can't do and have opted to lay staff off.

I wrote a blog about 2 weeks ago that had our 7000 views - its amazing how little knowledge there is despite it being readily available in the public domain.

YOU CAN BE RE-INSTATED IF YOU WAS ON THE PAYROLL ON 28th FEB

show your employer this link

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/co...rloughNTKs.pdf

If your employer refusing furlough as it doesn't have the cash flow which is a topic that Ive seen raised loads and have instead opted for redundancies then:

You can agree to delayed pay and its best to negotiate directly with your employer, The Gov will cover furloughed employees' salaries from March to May.

Im happy to assist anyone who is struggling with this and there employer as ultimately it could be a client for me so Im happy to assist where possible

Master
    Robert, very kind of you. Sis in law was made redundant pre-Covid, but not sure on the dates yet.

That article from MSE you linked to could be very useful, as she was the main earner & have a 1yr old child with hubby being a police officer.

I may be in touch with you later after gaining more of an understanding of the timings etc. I believe from my wife that she has already received some redundancy pay, does that change things?

Matt

Came across this on the ICAEW web site which might be of help.

https://www.icaew.com/insights/viewp...lough-guidance

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I run a recruitment and consultancy business and there is lots employers can do YET in my experience many arent aware what they can and can't do and have opted to lay staff off.

I wrote a blog about 2 weeks ago that had our 7000 views - its amazing how little knowledge there is despite it being readily available in the public domain.

YOU CAN BE RE-INSTATED IF YOU WAS ON THE PAYROLL ON 28th FEB

show your employer this link

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/co...rloughNTKs.pdf

If your employer refusing furlough as it doesn't have the cash flow which is a topic that Ive seen raised loads and have instead opted for redundancies then:

You can agree to delayed pay and its best to negotiate directly with your employer, The Gov will cover furloughed employees' salaries from March to May.

Im happy to assist anyone who is struggling with this and there employer as ultimately it could be a client for me so Im happy to assist where possible
    Seems like a licence for abuse - someone takes a new job but is still being paid by furlough from their old employer.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 16th April 2020 at 09:29.

We had to furlough half of our staff a few weeks back so I feel sorry for anybody who has been furloughed, it can create anxiety and potential for ill-feeling in any team. The firm who provides all of our HR expertise has just passed on this update on the furlough legislation as they currently understand it. I find it pretty ridiculous how the specifics of the scheme are only being advised piecemeal. Its been many weeks and the basic mechanisisms should be well known so both employers and employees know exactly how the scheme applies.

The need for a written agreement should be self-evident to any well organised firm, however, the part I in bold will come as a surprise to many. I hope this doesn't alarm anybody but it seemed sensible to make people aware so they know how this may affect their specific situaion.

On 15 April 2020, the government issued a Statutory Direction setting out requirements for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, also known as furlough leave. We believe this takes precedence over the government guidance, which was also updated on 15 April.

There are some important points to note. We’ll provide a more detailed update shortly, but for now there are two urgent points to bring to your attention.

The first is the requirement for there to be a written agreement from both employer and employee to be furloughed. This contrasts with the current online guidance, which simply says “To be eligible for the grant employers must confirm in writing to their employee confirming that they have been furloughed. A record of this communication must be kept for five years.”

The second point is likely to be even more problematic. A lot of employers have placed employees on furlough and not continued to pay them until such time as HMRC paid the grant under the scheme, which would then be passed on to employees. There are obvious reasons why an employer may do this in the current circumstances and there was, and is, nothing in the online guidance to suggest this is not allowed. However, the new Direction seems to suggest that you can only recover monies from HMRC that have already been paid – effectively the grant amounts to a reimbursement of monies paid. The requirements appear to be as follows:

• If between 1 March and 18 April there has been a period in which an employee has been furloughed and you have not paid the employee what they would get under the scheme, you will have to make up the pay they would be due under the scheme for that period BEFORE you make a claim.
    • For any period after 18 April, if you have not paid an employee what they would get under the scheme while they are furloughed, you will not be able to make that pay up later and, therefore, you cannot be reimbursed by HMRC for that period. Effectively, we think this means that if you continue to not pay employees 80% of their salary (subject to the £2,500 p/m cap), you will not get money from HMRC.

It’s important to also note that this Direction can be changed at any time by the government – we suspect it probably won’t be changed before the proposed introduction of the scheme, which is due to go live on 20 April 2020.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wonder if the government is worried some businesses will receive money and then fold before paying it over to employees? (Or banks may swallow it to recover some overdraft)

Could be Suds, but if the lawyers interpretation of the Gov's intentions proves correct I smell trouble coming.

Master
    I was furloughed last week despite being told at the beginning of the week that I'd be fine. Company is clearly in financial disarray and fighting for survival. I'm just glad I have a savings pot to keep me going until something new comes along.

Master

Anyone furloughed from work?

We got furloughed as from 1st April. We had to sign and return a form to the company acceptance of there offer.

We just have to wait until our next full payday to find out what we’re actually getting. I feel sorry for the ones on a low basic that’s topped up with shift allowance and overtime. We’re contracted for 50 hrs a week with no shift extras so we shouldn’t be to bad. Hopefully.

We have 1 guy left in work, he said during the week he’s been getting calls demanding kitchens to be delivered, difficult as the factory is shut.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by aa388; 17th April 2020 at 10:09.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

A lot of employers have placed employees on furlough and not continued to pay them until such time as HMRC paid the grant under the scheme, which would then be passed on to employees. There are obvious reasons why an employer may do this in the current circumstances and there was, and is, nothing in the online guidance to suggest this is not allowed.

The guidance does not provide it is a problem in regards to the grant but the wider problem is that regardless of the furlough depending on how your contract is worded this likely a breach...

Yep, furloughed indefinitely, 4 weeks full pay, then 90% for 4 weeks then the government max

Its OK, people far worse off

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Hi, I bumped into a friend yesterday who I used to work with, she has been furloughed, 80% of earnings I belive, I asked if the employer was making up the difference (Bearing in mind the owner of the company is very well off)
    She said no, do they have to make up the difference?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

No they don't

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    My daughter in London hasn't been furloughed, but staff have been asked to take a 20% salary cut for 3 months.

Master
    Not furloughed, share price dropped, this years pay rise retracted (without warning), and everyone asked to take two weeks unpaid leave over the next two months.

Master
    My wife’s place of work has just furloughed a few people in her department. There are nine working there including a team leader and five have just been furloughed for three weeks on full pay.
    My wife asked what basis they used to decide who was furloughed (who wouldn’t like three weeks off on full pay) and she was told that the four that were kept working,my wife being one of them, were kept in work because they were more multi skilled. One of the four is a team leader so only three shop floor workers really.
    My wife came home from work furious yesterday when she was told. She works really hard, her quality control is the best in her department (one of the reasons for keeping her in work now) yet when she asked for a pay rise a little while ago to come into line with ironically the the other two girls still working, she was refused.
    I think I’m going to have to tread carefully over the next three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    My daughter in London hasn't been furloughed, but staff have been asked to take a 20% salary cut for 3 months.
    Hang on, so they get 80% of their salary and the company is paying them that. The company could furlough them for 1 month then pay them 100% as normal, they could even make up the 20% for the furloughed month.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Hang on, so they get 80% of their salary and the company is paying them that. The company could furlough them for 1 month then pay them 100% as normal, they could even make up the 20% for the furloughed month.
    She works for a company servicing clients worldwide so need to remain open for business - started working from home 10 days before lockdown when a colleague was tested positive for CV. Work wise she is running at 50% at best and colleagues were more concerned about redundancies.