closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 77

Thread: ISS tonight

  1. #1

    ISS tonight

    Want something to do with the kids that’ll keep them busy for 10 minutes the evening
    ISS coming over from the West at around 8:23 ish and will be visible for about 5 minutes.
    Should be a good one this evening as it’s clear as a bell out.
    If you can find Venus you’ll find the ISS as they’re both West
    FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 24th March 2020 at 21:07.

  2. #2
    Thanks FFF my wife and i just stood outside and spotted it! Wow does that thing move fast. Also funny how you can convince yourself that other things are the ISS until you find the real one...

  3. #3
    Craftsman T1ckT0ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    572
    That was amazing! Never seen anything like that before, such clear sky too.

    Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Thanks FFF my wife and i just stood outside and spotted it! Wow does that thing move fast. Also funny how you can convince yourself that other things are the ISS until you find the real one...
    Certainly is, around 28000 kph!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    That was amazing! Never seen anything like that before, such clear sky too.

    Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Second viewing tonight as well about 22:05

  6. #6
    Craftsman T1ckT0ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    572
    ...but I’m only allowed one trip outside lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    There’s an app that tracks its, point your phone at the sky and it shows where it is. It is n amazing sight.
    Last edited by justin44; 24th March 2020 at 22:44.

  8. #8
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Some great viewing opportunities over the next few days. The orange banded passes in this chart will have the best visibility, weather permitting.

    https://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544#

    Last edited by Mr Curta; 24th March 2020 at 22:04. Reason: add image
    Don't Panic

  9. #9
    Best place to be right now.

  10. #10
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Best place to be right now.
    https://artsandculture.google.com/st...w&sv_z=1&hl=en
    Don't Panic

  11. #11
    So where do you need to look for the 22:05 one tonight?

  12. #12
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    15,290
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    There’s an app that tracks its, point you phone at the sky nd it shows where it is. It is n amazing sight.
    I use the ‘Night Sky’ app. Pretty amazing how it works.
    Cuidich 'n Righ

  13. #13

    ISS tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    So where do you need to look for the 22:05 one tonight?
    NW
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 24th March 2020 at 22:21.

  14. #14
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    So where do you need to look for the 22:05 one tonight?
    Not the brightest of passes.

    Don't Panic

  15. #15
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    19:40 tomorrow will be a bright Mag -2.4

    Don't Panic

  16. #16
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,123
    The app to see when the ISS will be visible from your location is called 'ISS Finder.' There are several apps that allow you to point your phone at the night sky and will identify stars, planets, constellations etc. My favourite of these is called 'Star Walk.'

  17. #17
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Livestream earth view from the ISS here:

    https://ustream.tv/embed/17074538
    Don't Panic

  18. #18

    ISS tonight

    Another site to track ISS is https://spotthestation.nasa.gov.

    Enter your location and will text/email when visible.

  19. #19
    Thanks will take a look

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thanks will take a look

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Livestream earth view from the ISS here:

    https://ustream.tv/embed/17074538

    Thank you Matthew, a great link to watch something beautiful, peaceful and thankfully distracting.

  21. #21
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Thank you Matthew, a great link to watch something beautiful, peaceful and thankfully distracting.
    If the main stream is down there's loads of archive here: https://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload
    Don't Panic

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    889
    Thanks for the heads-up. We are Warwickshire-based with no light pollution and was really bright !!!

    Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

  23. #23
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    I'll post this here as it may be of interest to anyone who may have missed it in the 'Interesting and Entertaining Things to Do Whilst Remaining at Home' thread.

    Absolutely superb real-time journeys through the Apollo missions, consisting entirely of historical material. You can jump to specific milestones, follow the transcript, listen to a commentary, view the original footage and photographs and much more.

    https://apolloinrealtime.org/

    Apollo 11: https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

    Apollo 13: https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/

    Apollo 17: https://apollo17.org


    The Apollo 13 one is great to follow in conjunction with Season 2 of the 13 Minutes To The Moon podcast, The Apollo 13 story.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p083wp70
    Don't Panic

  24. #24
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'll post this here as it may be of interest to anyone who may have missed it in the 'Interesting and Entertaining Things to Do Whilst Remaining at Home' thread.

    Absolutely superb real-time journeys through the Apollo missions, consisting entirely of historical material. You can jump to specific milestones, follow the transcript, listen to a commentary, view the original footage and photographs and much more.

    https://apolloinrealtime.org/

    Apollo 11: https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

    Apollo 13: https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/

    Apollo 17: https://apollo17.org


    The Apollo 13 one is great to follow in conjunction with Season 2 of the 13 Minutes To The Moon podcast, The Apollo 13 story.


    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p083wp70

    In a similar vein, here are a couple more excellent video/sequences

    https://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/(Real-time video, radio and mission control chat of the moon landing)

    50th Anniversary Celebration (Washington Monument)

  25. #25
    Master ~dadam02~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    3,273
    Blog Entries
    14
    So we get another pass tonight?

  26. #26
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    So we get another pass tonight?
    Yes, 19:40 - 19:44 should be a good one. More coming as well.



    https://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544#

    Don't Panic

  27. #27
    Master ~dadam02~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    3,273
    Blog Entries
    14
    Fantastic, great time to teach my 5 year old about ISS.

  28. #28
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,581
    I may use the Stratoliner for an accurate timecheck on the ISS.

  29. #29
    Watching it now

  30. #30
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Fabulous viewing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I may use the Stratoliner for an accurate timecheck on the ISS.
    Don't Panic

  31. #31
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,581
    Fabulous! I don’t think I’ve ever seen the ISS look so bright.

  32. #32
    Master ~dadam02~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    3,273
    Blog Entries
    14
    That's was excellent, thanks for the heads up all!

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    889
    Random Q - why does my app (Satellite Tracker) say it will be another 90mins but then the thing flies over me at 19:44?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Random Q - why does my app (Satellite Tracker) say it will be another 90mins but then the thing flies over me at 19:44?

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    4,255
    Just watched it go virtually overhead, and the brightest I have seen it

  35. #35
    Just saw it - rubbish phone pic but gives idea of size and brightness

    Kev

  36. #36
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    19,763
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Random Q - why does my app (Satellite Tracker) say it will be another 90mins but then the thing flies over me at 19:44?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Random Q - why does my app (Satellite Tracker) say it will be another 90mins but then the thing flies over me at 19:44?
    Because it will. But much lower on the horizon
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  37. #37
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    17,540
    Extremely bright tonight - so bright it was harder than it sometimes is to make out details.
    So clever my foot fell off.

  38. #38
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Coincidentally, this arrived today. I'm going to save it for a day that I'm stuck at home.

    Don't Panic

  39. #39
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    17,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Coincidentally, this arrived today. I'm going to save it for a day that I'm stuck at home.


    I'm liking what I see in the background. You and I have significant interests in common.
    So clever my foot fell off.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Extremely bright tonight - so bright it was harder than it sometimes is to make out details.
    Really good views tonight. Both my girls were excited to see it. Amazing you could see it from way off the Cornish coast to mid Germany (according to the app I was tracking).

  41. #41
    Master Matt London's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    1,075
    Damn missed the thread again Not sure if I missed a viewing of the ISS though?

    Do you think I would have been able to see it from bang in the middle of London?I will set an alarm if it’s worth trying.

  42. #42
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Because it will. But much lower on the horizon
    The elevation is similar but it is eclipsed from quite early in the pass (blue on the trajectory line here).

    Don't Panic

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    My house (unless I'm out).
    Posts
    2,813
    I was astonished. Wasn’t expecting it to be so bright or fast moving across the sky.
    Thanks OP.

  44. #44
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Damn missed the thread again Not sure if I missed a viewing of the ISS though?

    Do you think I would have been able to see it from bang in the middle of London?I will set an alarm if it’s worth trying.
    Definitely. Both 18:52 - 18:57 and 20:28 - 20:33 tomorrow should be good.

    Don't Panic

  45. #45

    ISS tonight

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yes, 19:40 - 19:44 should be a good one. More coming as well.



    https://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544#

    Does that mean it also passes again at 2204 hrs tonight? What does the blue versus green line mean?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Does that mean it also passes again at 2204 hrs tonight? What does the blue versus green line mean?
    That was one of yesterday's passes because of when I posted it. This is the later pass tonight, blue is where it goes eclipsed, hence the poor magnitude.

    This link lists all of the upcoming visible passes: https://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544#

    Last edited by Mr Curta; 25th March 2020 at 21:34.
    Don't Panic

  47. #47
    Master Matt London's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Definitely. Both 18:52 - 18:57 and 20:28 - 20:33 tomorrow should be good.

    Thank you!

  48. #48
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,581
    Everyone ready for tonight.

    I’m equipped to time the transit

  49. #49
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,581
    Just approaching the horizon I guess.

  50. #50
    Master grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,207
    I understand that on Sunday 29th ISS should cross the track of Starlink-4, visible in UK at around 8.43pm local time.

    Also,Starlink-2 visible tonight Thursday at 7.15pm Look from WEST to SOUTHEAST
    Elevation (from horizon): start: 10°, max: 52°, end: 11°
    Last edited by grey; 26th March 2020 at 19:48.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information