closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My personal Corona thread

My personal Corona thread

I've decided to try and get out every day either walking or cycling after a long lay off with a dodgy knee, the imprisonment dictated by the current state of emergency has given me added impetus to do this. I've already put an hour aside each morning to get my guitar playing going again, and the (hopefully) daily exercise will also work alongside getting a lot more photography done (hopefully). Also, Photoshop decided it didn't want to play any more, so I'm now on a learning curve with GIMP, which after an initial play seems very good. I'd like to think I'll post an image per day, but I know how difficult that can be, but we'll see. I guess a lot will be taken with my Canon G12. Expect some garbage along the way! So here's my first offering, "Through a Cattle Grid" . . .

Day 1.

Last edited by magirus; 25th March 2020 at 18:16.

I was thinking of doing something similar, but by god I live in a relatively dull area for photography. I look forward to it my friend!

Following with interest
    Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I was thinking of doing something similar, but by god I live in a relatively dull area for photography. I look forward to it my friend!
    No! There's always something worth photographing, you just have to look in the right place, get the camera out and get walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Following with interest
    I hope I don't disappoint!

No such thing as a bad area for photography . Good pictures are all around you, sometimes in the most unlikely of places!

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    "A good photograph is knowing where to stand." Ansel Adams
    I admire the inspiration from folk, thankfully having a phone on the camera allows me to try and capture anything that catches the eye. I've shot the few parks to death, not interesting places to begin with (though the light may help at the moment) and the rest of where I live is pure suburbia housing. Last thing I need is people thinking I'm spying and perving with a camera

Day 2.

Rusty bucket in tree.

Great idea Bob, and I look forward to seeing how it goes - looking good so far

I set myself a task to take a photograph every day for a year a few years back. It worked really well for several months until I became ill and ran out of things to photograph in our bedroom! So I wish you greater success than I had.

Lynn and I are confined to the house and garden due to being at high risk, (age/health), so I'm really confined to reviewing my previous snaps. An opportunity to improve some of my earlier efforts. I now use Silkypix for my RAW images and Affinity Photo for my JPEGs and the TIFFs produced by Silkypix. If you don't get on with GIMP then Affinity is very good, (better than Photoshop IMO), it also has a built in RAW converter which covers Nikon, Canon etc, I only use Silkypix as it is better with my Fujifilm X-Tran images.

Stay safe.
    Best Regards - Peter

I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post

I set myself a task to take a photograph every day for a year a few years back. It worked really well for several months until I became ill and ran out of things to photograph in our bedroom! So I wish you greater success than I had.

Lynn and I are confined to the house and garden due to being at high risk, (age/health), so I'm really confined to reviewing my previous snaps. An opportunity to improve some of my earlier efforts. I now use Silkypix for my RAW images and Affinity Photo for my JPEGs and the TIFFs produced by Silkypix. If you don't get on with GIMP then Affinity is very good, (better than Photoshop IMO), it also has a built in RAW converter which covers Nikon, Canon etc, I only use Silkypix as it is better with my Fujifilm X-Tran images.

Stay safe.
    Have you tried Capture one for Fuji files, its free and very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetorric View Post
    Have you tried Capture one for Fuji files, its free and very good.

I have indeed and it is very good, but Silkypix is way better when you get to grips with the interface. But then it should be as Fuji has decided to major with Silkypix, (easy to understand as they're fellow Japanese companies), and so they get deeper access to Fuji's code than others do - which is why Lightroom etc often have issues.
    Best Regards - Peter

Craftsman
    I have indeed and it is very good, but Silkypix is way better when you get to grips with the interface. But then it should be as Fuji has decided to major with Silkypix, (easy to understand as they're fellow Japanese companies), and so they get deeper access to Fuji's code than others do - which is why Lightroom etc often have issues.
    Thanks for that, I will have a look at Silkypix sounds good.

Stay safe.
    Thanks Peter! I'll take a look at Affinity. I only really used Photoshop to add borders and maybe a little sharpening and contrast after processing the RAW files in Lightroom, and I'm already finding the borders easier in Gimp. I like Lightroom for ease of batch importing, and being able to use the Nik collection of software plugins from the Lightroom menu, which Google made free when they got it. For B&W I used Silver Efex Pro2 on the first image here, and Analog Efex Pro2 for the second one. Certainly worth a look, especially Silver Efex. Hope you both stay well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetorric View Post
    Thanks for that, I will have a look at Silkypix sounds good.
    It is, and it gets better, (quicker), with each iteration. The earlier versions were great at what they did but were so sloooooooooooooooooow. They addressed that issue a couple of versions ago and now it's quite quick. You can get a month's free trial.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Thanks Peter! I'll take a look at Affinity. I only really used Photoshop to add borders and maybe a little sharpening and contrast after processing the RAW files in Lightroom, and I'm already finding the borders easier in Gimp. I like Lightroom for ease of batch importing, and being able to use the Nik collection of software plugins from the Lightroom menu, which Google made free when they got it. For B&W I used Silver Efex Pro2 on the first image here, and Analog Efex Pro2 for the second one. Certainly worth a look, especially Silver Efex. Hope you both stay well.
    Lightroom is excellent for any Nikon or Canon user as it handles the Bayer demosaicing very well, but it struggles with Fuji's X-Trans sensor. They have made improvements but for Fuji users Silkypix and Affinity are better products all round. The Nik collection works just fine with Affinity too, as do many other PS plug-ins. Oh, and all updates to Affinity, (there have been many, it's currently at 1.8.2.620), have been free to-date. I use all three Affinity products, Photo, Designer and Publisher, they interlink with one another; and all have been excellent - a local UK company too.

If you have standard borders than you can set up and record macros in Affinity Photo so with just a couple of clicks it's done.
    Best Regards - Peter

Day 3.

A hovering heron. This bird's been aloft here since the 2017 version of the Lumiere light festival.

Day 4.

Ample social distancing to my subject I hope.

Day 5.

It's quite surreal to be in a deserted and silent city that's normally thronging with people, with an empty space where there's normally a bustling outdoor market, live music and quite often the bird man with his falcons and owls on display. The two blokes who were there didn't have much to say, but our social distancing was good ! ;-)

However, around the corner there was a message of hope . . .

However, around the corner there was a message of hope . . .

That's my favourite so far. As we said to the kids in 2016 whilst our youngest was stuck in isolation as holiday and anticipated event dates passed, not cancelled, postponed. Everything was reinstated, and now they say it to encourage their mates.
    Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That's my favourite so far. As we said to the kids in 2016 whilst our youngest was stuck in isolation as holiday and anticipated event dates passed, not cancelled, postponed. Everything was reinstated, and now they say it to encourage their mates.
    I'm pleased you like it Matthew, and well done for giving your children such a positive attitude. I'm enjoying getting the feel of photography again, it's getting me off my ar$e when I really wouldn't have bothered otherwise. The freezing rain and hail at the end of todays ramble was actually quite invigorating! Hope you all stay well.

Day 6.

A cold day, got hailed on as I set off! Took a route into the city that needs stout footwear, but affords lovely views. Cold and windy, so a couple of quick snaps on the G12 for today's effort, the camera got me out when I might not have bothered.

Taken sitting here . . .

A panorama to give an idea of the view, the Wear doesn't curve as in the shot that's an effect of the iPhone panorama, it's dead straight and where the track meets the stand of trees on the left is Durham Rowing Club, where the races all start when the regatta is held. That track would have dozens of people enjoying their Sunday in normal times.

Last edited by magirus; 29th March 2020 at 18:57.

Master
    Is the Market Hall closed? I reckon you'd be stood by the gates in the photo above.
    Last edited by M4tt; 29th March 2020 at 22:25.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Is the Market Hall closed? I reckon you'd be stood by the gates in the photo above.

The market in town is the indoor/outdoor market, which is approx behind the tree in the first picture, @ 3/4 of a mile from where the pictures were taken. The market is indeed closed at the moment, sadly.
    Last edited by magirus; 29th March 2020 at 23:36.

Master
    The market in town is the indoor/outdoor market, which is approx behind the tree in the first picture, @ 3/4 of a mile from where the pictures were taken. The market is indeed closed at the moment, sadly.
    Sorry, I was responding to post 18. I should have been clearer. As usual. Did I ever mention I was from Houghton?

Master
    Love those pictures of Durham (especially post 18). Iíll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, I was responding to post 18. I should have been clearer. As usual. Did I ever mention I was from Houghton?
    Ah, I understand now! That's just where I was. I'm down the road from Houghton, just by the A690 sliproad to Belmont.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Love those pictures of Durham (especially post 18). Iíll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you! I'm having a cuppa right now thinking about where to walk today and what I might shoot.

Master
    Thank you! I'm having a cuppa right now thinking about where to walk today and what I might shoot.
    Finchale Abbey? Close and beautiful. Iíd imagine that a picture from the bridge would awesome...

Finchale Abbey? Close and beautiful. Iíd imagine that a picture from the bridge would awesome...
    By chance I was down by the river today walking directly towards Finchale! I went to photograph Belmont Viaduct (see next post). That's a good idea, there's a right of way for most of the route and a cheeky bit over fields to get there at the finish. I'll have a look at the map and if it's doable I'll make it a day out with a packed lunch, it'll probably be a good 10 miles or more the way I'd return on the other side of the river.

Day 7.

Down to the Wear a different way, and then head north to take a look at Belmont Viaduct. There's some info on it in these links . . .

https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-entry/1120726

https://www.palatinate.org.uk/durham...otten-viaduct/

With hindsight I should have gone earlier rather than late afternoon and taken a lot more time looking for different angles, but that's for another day. The camera did it's job and got me out walking, which was the point. I could take a packed lunch and spend hours down there, and not just the viaduct, it's a lovely place.

I'll be back down to see how quickly these grow . . .

Master
    Youíre making me feel homesick. Cracking pictures indeed.

Addendum to post #30. I got to wondering what the plant in Day 7 is. Some searching later I stumbled on an excellent site called wildflowerfinder. The homepage is vast, and I had no luck here so opened the search page, then "add photo". Here I got lucky, as before I did anything the examples they showed of how to post included my plant! It's a butterbur , surprisingly a member of the daisy/dandelion family, as the link shows. hope this is of interest and perhaps useful. I'll be back to photograph it again as it develops :-), it should change quite considerably by May and I expect still be doing my Corona thing then :-( .

Day 8.

133 YARDS, inscribed on a coping stone. A quirky little detail from Durham's ecclesiastic past, comparatively recent really given how far back it goes. I noticed this quite a while ago when mooching about with the camera and glibly assumed it might have something to do with the Chorister's School, which is close by, some sort of race I thought. Wrong. I was in contact with the Cathedral archaeologist about another matter, and he told me that back in the 1830's (IIRC) one of the senior clerics would take a daily walk and wanted to know just how far he'd been, so he had the strip of land measured and the stone duly inscribed, so he could take his daily stroll and tot up the yards.

So we are looking down a bank to the town side end of Prebends Bridge, behind us at the top the dark tunnel into the College. At the top of the steps is the coping stone . . .

Here's the stone with inscription . . .

A little closer look, it's a little more worn than when I first spotted it . . .

Look to our left to see the level piece of land where our cleric took his exercise . . .

Finally, looking over the gate, lovely and level for a stroll . . .

A little extra today, from a few years ago but related and maybe of interest . . .

If you zoom in the first picture, you can just see at the bottom of the bank a bench and a tree trunk,
    this is they on a cold winter's night . . .

Here's Prebend's Bridge, taken using a 10stop neutral density filter with an exposure of about 5 mins IIRC . . .

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Youíre making me feel homesick. Cracking pictures indeed.

Thank you, appreciated.

This is working very well indeed Bob, keep up the good work, and stay safe.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master
    That's lovely and takes me back, but you'd never get a Spitfire under that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3UtmHLKUU

I don't know why that popped up in my head but I thought it was worth sharing...

If you did get to Finchale it would do my heart good. I just wish I could take photos like those.
    Last edited by M4tt; 1st April 2020 at 16:05.

This is working very well indeed Bob, keep up the good work, and stay safe.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. Hope you and yours are all ok.

I don't know why that popped up in my head but I thought it was worth sharing...

If you did get to Finchale it would do my heart good. I just wish I could take photos like those.

Thank you! I think that if a Spitfire flew under Prebends it would emerge with slightly shorter wings! I will be going to Finchale at some point, if I can't get there via my side of the river I can definitely get there by crossing the Wear in Durham and walking some tracks I know from mountain biking.

Day 9.

I pass this graffiti quite often when I walk into town and I've long wanted to get a shot of it. However it's down below a footbridge I cross over the main road into town in an enclosed yard on University property, it would take decent climb to get in and out, not at my age! However some contractors left a gate open after they were working in an adjacent yard, and via a set of steps I popped in. Shy bairns get nowt as they say.

I'm pleased I got it, because once it's gone, it's gone. To illustrate my thinking, here's a fine pair of doors in Old Elvet that I pass when I go to the Dun Cow, I'm pleased I shot them when I did, they were much more interesting pre gentrification (student lets probably ;-( ). The second shot is a cropped screen grab from Google Earth showing them as they are now. Thanks for looking in.

Last edited by magirus; 2nd April 2020 at 02:42.

Love the graffiti shot Bob, one of my favourite subjects. As you say, you have to capture it whilst it's there as it's soon gone.

I was lucky to find one in Nerja, Southern Spain a few years back, which was a very well executed replica of the Guernica painting by Picasso. Sadly it was gone in a very short while. Another of my favourites is a very clever piece depicting a boy feeding a cat on a set of steps in Malta, which again I suspect won't be there any longer.

Must post a few in the Random Picture thread.
    Best Regards - Peter

Love the graffiti shot Bob, one of my favourite subjects. As you say, you have to capture it whilst it's there as it's soon gone.

I was lucky to find one in Nerja, Southern Spain a few years back, which was a very well executed replica of the Guernica painting by Picasso. Sadly it was gone in a very short while. Another of my favourites is a very clever piece depicting a boy feeding a cat on a set of steps in Malta, which again I suspect won't be there any longer.

Must post a few in the Random Picture thread.
    I saw the boy feeding cat shot in the Random Picture thread Peter, a great one to spot and capture!

I looked at the Finchale website and Heritage England have closed the site for obvious reasons, and the owners of the caravan site have also closed the touring part of the site. :-( I would have taken my full frame body with a 17-40 lens and gotten in amongst the ruins, but I'll have to settle for shots from outside the railings when I get there.

Day 10.

What a difference an SSD makes when processing. My Mac took a bad turn last year and the excellent lads at MJS Computers sorted it for me, I had a very interesting couple of visits to their premises to watch them get into the machine, clean it all out (very dusty) including the fans, and install the SSD and a new disc drive. It's a 2011 machine and is massively faster now, which makes Lightroom etc much easier and quicker to use. Had another sit up on the Palace Green in the shadow of the Cathedral, completely alone with only birdsong to hear, quite surreal, I could have been the only person in the world. I just hope when this crisis is over I never get another chance to do it. Here's today's efforts, steel and wood . . .

Enjoying this, thanks for sharing.

Me too, thanks for the thread Magirus. Durham is now on the long weekend list for when life returns to normality

Really enjoying this, Bob - great work, mate

Thanks for the kind words gents much appreciated. Just had a late lunch after a lengthy queing/shopping visit to Tesco. Boots on soon, check camera battery and off out to see what the day brings.

Day 11.

Was drawn back into the city today, the silence and absence of people and traffic is something I'll never (hopefully) know again, so I want to get it while it's there. The buds are starting to come through now, so took the chance to grab a silhouette before the trees are in leaf, it's a shot I've done before but taken 90deg to the left. It's the far left hand side of the Cathedral as you look at it on Palace Green, just at the top of Dun Cow lane.

Here's the shot I took a few years ago on a cold winter's evening . . .

Last edited by magirus; Yesterday at 20:35.

Master
    Durham. It really is a magical city. Those last two in particular are pictures to be proud of.