closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Insurance company rant

Master

Insurance company rant

So so angry right now. I’ve just bought a new car for work (taxi) but I’ve switched from hackney to private hire and as such I can’t just switch vehicles over. I had to cancel my policy and then take out a new one after getting the new car.
    Phoning around for quotes and I’m struggling to get anyone to insure me because I have three NON FAULT claims in the last four years.
    The first was a van driving into the back of me when I came to a halt during rush hour traffic on the M4
    The second was when my wife had pulled up outside a house to pick up a passenger. She was stationary and a van that was in front of her reversed into her and damaged the front of the car.
    The third is barely believable. A customer bumped his head on the boot of my car and tried, but failed to claim off me.
    I’m completely blameless in all these yet I’m the one being penalised.
    P!ssed right off !

Master
    This seems like an insurance industry scam. Non fault claims by definition means your company pursues all costs from other parties so you have caused no loss to insurers.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Statistically you're a higher risk, that's all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unfortunately exactly this as your experiences demonstrate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    But that goes without saying being a taxi driver doing 30+K a year. It’s why I pay over £1300 a year for my insurance.
    It’s absolute bollocks. None of those 3 bumps have cost my insurance a penny.

Just offering up the profile you've presented the insurance company with here, don't bite my head off...

What they have is someone who has had three incidences of putting themselves in a position where an accident happened. Fault or blame isn't the issue, it's the fact that at three times in recent years, claims have been made involving you. No doubt they will be able to wheel out stats showing that a person who is involved in a non-fault incident is, sooner or later, going to cost them money... and you have three of them. You also cover way more miles than average, I'm sure you can understand why they'd be reluctant to offer you cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Fault or blame isn't the issue, it's the fact that at three times in recent years, claims have been made involving you. No doubt they will be able to wheel out stats showing that a person who is involved in a non-fault incident is, sooner or later, going to cost them money... and you have three of them.
    Nail on head.

Statistics drive software quote engines. And Insurers have access to lots of stats to crunch. Which leads them to conclude invariably that having any kind of accident - fault or otherwise - indicates a greater likelihood of being involved in a claim in future.

Same reason their Policies require you to advise them of all accidents encountered - even those where a Third Party is at fault and paid for the damage, without the Insurer having paid a penny.

Also why they ask such random questions re smoking, marital status, favourite colour etc. - all those numbers get crunched and produce a risk profile.

The Taxi use is immaterial - that business use is baked into the rates already. The (additional) issue here is the three claims.
    Last edited by Stringer; 24th March 2020 at 21:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Just offering up the profile you've presented the insurance company with here, don't bite my head off...

What they have is someone who has had three incidences of putting themselves in a position where an accident happened. Fault or blame isn't the issue, it's the fact that at three times in recent years, claims have been made involving you. No doubt they will be able to wheel out stats showing that a person who is involved in a non-fault incident is, sooner or later, going to cost them money... and you have three of them. You also cover way more miles than average, I'm sure you can understand why they'd be reluctant to offer you cover.
    How then does a local company to me that leases taxis out get insurance? The owner told me he has 27 cars that he leases out and all are covered by his insurance. If you lease a car off him, you are driving on his insurance. I would have thought with that many cars he world be reporting accidents every couple of weeks.
    Thankfully I’ve managed to get a quote now but by god it’s frustrating. 30 years of driving and not a single fault accident. I get bumped into twice and struggle to get cover.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    How then does a local company to me that leases taxis out get insurance? The owner told me he has 27 cars that he leases out and all are covered by his insurance. If you lease a car off him, you are driving on his insurance. I would have thought with that many cars he world be reporting accidents every couple of weeks.
    Thankfully I’ve managed to get a quote now but by god it’s frustrating. 30 years of driving and not a single fault accident. I get bumped into twice and struggle to get cover.
    Unfortunately that’s a fleet policy vs your individual policy, in that instance you are trying to compare apples and pineapples.

Master
    Ironically I’ve been struggling to get a car insured for a job market that has literally dried up.