closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home exercise tip

Master

Home exercise tip

Now we’re officially in lockdown, I thought I’d recommend Tabata as a way to keep fit at home, without any equipment. It’s a fierce regime of four minute high intensity exercise that improves both aerobic and anaerobic fitness. I won’t lie, it’s excruciating if done right, as you will be doing hard movements until your muscles give up completely. But on the plus side, it’s over quickly and gives you a noticeable boost to how you feel (and indeed, look). Proponents say it’s proven to be more effective than spending a boring hour slogging away on an exercise bike, and having tried it I have to agree. There’s worse ideas than learning something new while stuck at home, and it could be just what’s needed to prevent us all becoming couch potatoes over the next weeks or months.

There’s a decent video here that shows you how to do it, full of worryingly fit looking people:
    https://tv.apple.com/gb/show/tabata/...2p7p3ezkxhp14e

Perhaps this is not the ideal exercise for those who were not already somewhat fit, but it will do more than you would achieve from daily walking or the odd jog during this period, and could easily replace going to the gym.

For others who want something less intense, perhaps this could be the time to learn Tai Chi or something similar?

Any other ideas on this thread would be welcome, we need all the encouragement we can get or we’ll all be blobs by the time this is over!

I installed 8fit on my iPhone a couple of years ago and use it 2-3 times a week to supplement kettlebell and cycling workouts. I can attest to the efficacy of the various types of short and intense regimes.

Master
    Tabata is good - kettlebell is another good option. Stores in almost no space, but good workout, short and sharp.

Master
    Buy a house with the living room upstairs and the kitchen downstairs then have your children around 7 days a week.

Simple and great:

https://www.building-body.com/trenin...rovcina-video/

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Now we’re officially in lockdown, I thought I’d recommend Tabata as a way to keep fit at home, without any equipment. It’s a fierce regime of four minute high intensity exercise that improves both aerobic and anaerobic fitness. I won’t lie, it’s excruciating if done right, as you will be doing hard movements until your muscles give up completely. But on the plus side, it’s over quickly and gives you a noticeable boost to how you feel (and indeed, look). Proponents say it’s proven to be more effective than spending a boring hour slogging away on an exercise bike, and having tried it I have to agree. There’s worse ideas than learning something new while stuck at home, and it could be just what’s needed to prevent us all becoming couch potatoes over the next weeks or months.

There’s a decent video here that shows you how to do it, full of worryingly fit looking people:
    https://tv.apple.com/gb/show/tabata/...2p7p3ezkxhp14e

Perhaps this is not the ideal exercise for those who were not already somewhat fit, but it will do more than you would achieve from daily walking or the odd jog during this period, and could easily replace going to the gym.

For others who want something less intense, perhaps this could be the time to learn Tai Chi or something similar?

Any other ideas on this thread would be welcome, we need all the encouragement we can get or we’ll all be blobs by the time this is over!
    Good advice, I did my 2nd Tabata workout today with an online class and it was HARD. Hopefully a few sessions a week along with some running will keep me in shape.
    I had just started making good progress with some weightlifting but don't have anything at home to carry that on really.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Joe Wicks is streaming a live workout 9am every day, aimed at kids and (I assume) the parents too

https://www.thebodycoach.com/blog/pe-with-joe-1254.html

I work at home a couple days a week so I did it with him today, my wife did it yesterday. Son enjoys it and replaces the circuits he does first thing at school so his routine is not going to pot. Over 900,000 households streaming it, which I think is great

You can access later in the day so I'll be doing it when I get home from work with him in future.

To do Tabata properly you have to go FULL out maximal which very few people (me included) can or do perform.

It does pack in a good bang for your buck.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Buy a house with the living room upstairs and the kitchen downstairs then have your children around 7 days a week.
    Haha my legs are burnt out already from chasing a 1 year old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing press ups, squats, and going up and down the stairs 😁 got to keep the heart rate up!

Will look up that 8fit app. Sounds good if I can use my kettlebells in the workouts.

I've been doing some kettlebell work and the missus has been doing yoga. I did go for the 1 short cycle to a nearby park on Sunday but left pretty quickly when I saw that it was quite busy.
    I do want to dust off the turbo trainer. It was acting strange last time so may need to troubleshoot it.

Went for my 1st run in nearly 2 years yesterday. Only 3 miles in about 25min. But really enjoyed it. Few weights in the garden

I’m missing the park run so using g-map-pedometer website I’ve plotted an exact 5k loop from my front door.

I also do a Bodycombat class at the gym so have just done a Les Mills Bodycombat class from YouTube. There’s plenty of choice on there. Kids are doing Joe Wicks class every morning at 9am.

Home exercise tip

Buy “Solitary Fitness” by Charles Bronson.

You are welcome.

To quote -

About the Author
    Charlie Bronson is everyone's favourite con - as testified by his bestselling books Bronson and Insanity: My Mad Life. Renowned for his serial hostage-taking and piquant sense of humour, he has earned himself a fearsome reputation on both sides of the bars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 25th March 2020 at 14:42.

Master
    Spent a week converting half of my garage into a home gym, collecting up all the bits of kit I’ve gathered over the years.

From this:

to this:

Pretty much everything I need - alternating days between Kettlebell, Swiss ball/resistance band and Slam ball sessions, plus the old turbo trainer ready for when the government says we can’t go out for a run any more. And the skipping rope. I’m sure skipping was easier 40 years ago...

That looks great Phil I’m hoping to do the same with my garage in the next few weeks