closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your life today

I started a new job today and needless to say it’s felt rather weird. I’m working with people I’ve never met located the length and breadth of the UK yet I might not physically meet them for many months.

Also feels strange that we’re all at home. We’ve put a school-day schedule in place for both kids who are very receptive to it.... on day one 😩

We’ll get some exercise tonight and hopefully most nights, in places where there aren’t other humans.

Master

Your life today

Pandemonium here !!! In the nicest possible way that is

I have two young children 4 and 8 and trying to home school them while doing some work is nigh on impossible.

Ive shown a pic below of the timetable my Wfie wrote out covering there normal day!!!

Neither myself or my wife have got much done today and its only day 1 how the hell the government expect people to maintain this is beyond me

Master
    Blog Entries
    My friend lives in Fort Lauderdale big massive house indoor pool the lot,so self isolation is lot easier then here. He Whats App me today and said, we have moved to one of our houses at Key Largo. I am now on my boat 20 miles offshore and I am staying here, catch some fish got most stuff I need, it won’t get me here. Lucky beggar

Social distancing to the max!

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    My friend lives in Fort Lauderdale big massive house indoor pool the lot,so self isolation is lot easier then here. He Whats App me today and said, we have moved to one of our houses at Key Largo. I am now on my boat 20 miles offshore and I am staying here, catch some fish got most stuff I need, it won’t get me here. Lucky beggar

Blog Entries
    My oldest has left the house (he lives in his own apartment now) and I'm currently re-decorating his bedroom for my youngest. ( "Finally a big room!"). Dark colours and wall paper have to be converted into a light and airy room. That will keep me busy for a while. Then, there's the garden and a garage filled with cars. The workshop is still open, with one mechanic/day. On one day, one of the mechanics, on the other day, the other person. The gate is closed, so no visitors. Mind you, the workshop can go on for weeks. The only thing is that we might need parts etc. Still, there's an acre or two, three to weld on all sorts of cars. So with plenty of welding wire and gas, we can go on for a while.

Regarding my official job: school vice-principal... well, there's a lot being done by the teachers, using Microsoft Teams etc. And they're doing a great job. Mind you, Dutch education has made a quantum leap last week regarding virtual learning.

My youngest is 'harvesting' these benefits of virtual education (same school as me, but a different location): he's up-and-running at 8 AM, behind his laptop, when his teachers start the day. He's chuffed because there's no distraction during the lesson and he's finished around noon instead of 3 PM. We're lucky that he's very determined to reach a high level and we never have (or had) to 'encourage' him to do his school-chores. I realise that it's pretty unusual.

When ready, he starts his game computer for some serious gaming! Normally, he's out on his mountainbike three mornings or afternoons during the week. But he agreed that staying at home is safer.

My wife has nearly finished a part of her Ph.D thesis. She was supposed to fly over to Boston for a meeting at the uni, but that was rescheduled into two days of video conferencing and she's now busy writing a paper. Originally, she'd planned to do so on the Turks & Caicos Islands, but she realized that getting there was one thing, getting back home a completely different thing... So, she rescheduled her holiday towards June and if that's not a good moment, she will reschedule it again.

We're in semi-lockdown here. 90% of the population is okay with that and follows the rules. However, there are always nut-cases who are unable to listen. So, there's a fair chance that the country will go into full mandatory lockdown later this week.

I've written this before: I was home-schooled by my mum when I was between 6 and 8. We'd moved from a big town to a small fishing village next to the sea. She had a strict regime: starting a 8 AM, up until 10 AM and then off to the beach. After returning and dinner, I had to do reading. When I think back, this was the most wonderful time ever.
    Last edited by thieuster; 23rd March 2020 at 17:36.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Pandemonium here !!! In the nicest possible way that is

I have two young children 4 and 8 and trying to home school them while doing some work is nigh on impossible.

Ive shown a pic below of the timetable my Wfie wrote out covering there normal day!!!

Neither myself or my wife have got much done today and its only day 1 how the hell the government expect people to maintain this is beyond me
    Some unasked advice...

I think that the school has set very ambitious goals here! Perhaps you should see them as a guideline, not as a 'must. Remember that a teacher has 20 -25(?) children in front of him/her and all need to be instructed, tested, re-instructed etc (I don't know the correct English educational phrases). E.g.: school's 45 mins. of math is composed with the idea that a teacher need to spread his/her attention over all those kids in class. You only have two kids in front of you who can get your attention at any single moment. You'll be making bigger steps and much faster.

A better option is setting a goal: what do you want to achieve in one lesson, one day or a certain period. Perhaps the teacher can send you a program: where he/she wants to be with the lessons in -let's say- May. Start 'chunking': cut the chores in small pieces and that's the assignment for that lesson/day etc. You can help your kid much faster than in class. And, when it finished, it's finished for the day. When choosing between all sorts of targets: comprehensive reading and maths are most important. If you must, emphasize on that.

(40+ yrs of teaching experience + being home schooled by my mum when I was young. Most of my teaching experience is (was) working with unmotivated juvenile school kids. And setting goals with 'freedom' at the end of a chore, works best).

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Some unasked advice...

I think that the school has set very ambitious goals here! Perhaps you should see them as a guideline, not as a 'must. Remember that a teacher has 20 -25(?) children in front of him/her and all need to be instructed, tested, re-instructed etc (I don't know the correct English educational phrases). E.g.: school's 45 mins. of math is composed with the idea that a teacher need to spread his/her attention over all those kids in class. You only have two kids in front of you who can get your attention at any single moment. You'll be making bigger steps and much faster.

A better option is setting a goal: what do you want to achieve in one lesson, one day or a certain period. Perhaps the teacher can send you a program: where he/she wants to be with the lessons in -let's say- May. Start 'chunking': cut the chores in small pieces and that's the assignment for that lesson/day etc. You can help your kid much faster than in class. And, when it finished, it's finished for the day. When choosing between all sorts of targets: comprehensive reading and maths are most important. If you must, emphasize on that.

(40+ yrs of teaching experience + being home schooled by my mum when I was young. Most of my teaching experience is (was) working with unmotivated juvenile school kids. And setting goals with 'freedom' at the end of a chore, works best).

Menno
    Has that even come from school?

Master
    Thanks for the feedback fellas its such appreciated, that's not from the school but it is an overview of what individually the kids day would normally look like.

The point I was trying to emphasise is how the hell are you expected to school your kids while carry on your normal duties

I normally work 8-6 and the wife 9:30 after the school run till 6 - now we have to do our normal day plus supervise the kids

Its mental !!!

Master
    Thanks for the feedback fellas its such appreciated, that's not from the school but it is an overview of what individually the kids day would normally look like.

The point I was trying to emphasise is how the hell are you expected to school your kids while carry on your normal duties

I normally work 8-6 and the wife 9:30 after the school run till 6 - now we have to do our normal day plus supervise the kids

Its mental !!!
    You have my sympathies, you really do, but can you think of any other way that keeps you and your family safe.

I have been self isolating with my wife for ten days and in the early days it was driving us nuts. Strangely enough we are now slowly adjusting to it and it is becoming the norm.

Hang in there, you will get through it.

Its mental !!!
    Day one and you're in meltdown?

What would you do if your child was ill?

Adapt, thought it was only us oldies who were stuck in the mud....

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Wife is working as she falls under key working, I’ve given up work for home schooling a 6yr old. Day 1 was ok apart from Joe Wicks. Did realise I was that unfit.
    School has set up work to do online everyday
    English in the morning then Mathletics and spellodrome and a fun project after lunch.

How I’m going to include going to work god knows.

Testing times

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Sorry but you can't just assume a position like that. It's not just about you catching it, it's about you passing it on and the 15-20 people you meet passing it on and them passing it on....and on....and on....

It cannot be life as usual. If it is for you then you're not taking the appropriate measures and will make this scenario last far longer than it could.
    OK, an unfortunate turn of phrase for which I apologise.
    I have a part time job because I like getting out and meeting people, and am really too young to do nothing. I am by no means rich but having retired from a high stress job at 49 with a decent pension, I have no debts and live comfortably. I could easily just throw my hands in the air and stay safe at home and then someone else will have to do what has now been elevated to an key role. It is my experience that each and every one of those persons are extremely pleased to see me. I consider gloves, hand wipes, keeping a safe distance etc, just the new "cost of doing business", a minor inconvenience. I very rarely go out to pubs or wander aimlessly round shops and can take the dogs for some free running in our field, so will be quite happy practising social distancing.
    I didn't mean to appear blase, and certainly don't consider myself at all special.
    What I was trying to say is that personally, I will not let it change the way I view life and keep on living in a fatalistic way. Quite probably in a very similar spirit of acceptance to many.

My life.. wow where to start.
    All work cancelled until September.. got all 5 children at home. 3 being home schooled and one moping because his GCSEs have been cancelled and he’s ‘lost’ the 3 months work he spent revising!
    My wife is now awaiting training to re enter work to provide us an income. (NHS)

My day today was a brief trip into town to get some fresh food. Was so quiet, so keeping distance was easy.
    Followed by work in the garden and the start of me learning a new language (Spanish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UK airspace at the moment:

https://www.flightradar24.com/53.5,-2.03/9

Blog Entries
    College officially closed until further notice, word is it could be september, i will get very bored, ok full pay but rather be working, probs going to get some security work to keep me sane!

Master
    Must be nice in some way to have 6 months off with pay! We've got the usual hassle with kids being home as the schools are closed. Fortunately ours already 10 and 12 - they have been great and really following the home school schedule well. They have teams-meetings, apps to work with etc to get their tasks and assignements.

I still go to work as does my wife, though she works for a huge fair center - she will be laid off shortly (at poor pay). And then myself. I have an wholesale business to run, things to sell. I'm still keeping my stsff full time, but let's see how long. I can manage if the shops are allowed to keep open. Interesting times.

Master
    Meltdown is a bit much and if I gave that impression I apologise, I gave up full time working in London last year where I had an additional 2 hour commute on my day in order to have more time at home and work for myself so trust me I’m all for time at home and sacrificed salary in order to do so especially given the confidants that we’re enforced on my old contract.

I suppose I was trying to emphasise what a great job the school & mother in law (who has them after school normally) do with them and that it’s tough juggling trying to self teach them at a time when business is really struggling

Please don’t get me wrong I totally endorse the reasoning why were all home and urge anyone to take heed of the advice shared even before the current stipulations

Stay safe folks
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Day one and you're in meltdown?

What would you do if your child was ill?

Adapt, thought it was only us oldies who were stuck in the mud....

M

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 24th March 2020 at 00:52.

Master
    I am combining night work as a key worker with home schooling my children during the day. It has been ok thus far as I am currently on rest days, but back on duty Thursday night. My OH is also a key worker, pharmacist, and has been refused the means to work from home. This is extra shitty as she is both diabetic and asthmatic.
    I am doing my best to minimise risk of my bringing infection home, I keep "dirty" clothes in my locker and shower and change before coming home in the morning. Regular hand washing and ppe if in an isolation area. I also try to keep 2m from colleagues but that is not easy in some of the confined spaces we deal in.
    Looking to the future from my day to day routine and hoping to come out of the far end with everyone safe and well.

Master
    Well first day on ‘lockdown’. Today I shall be mainly working from home, sitting in the garden and my one piece of exercise will be walking my neighbours dog at some point (she’s a nurse, bless her).

Stay safe everyone. At least the suns shining!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Well first day on ‘lockdown’. Today I shall be mainly working from home, sitting in the garden and my one piece of exercise will be walking my neighbours dog at some point (she’s a nurse, bless her).

Stay safe everyone. At least the suns shining!
    Your neighbour's dog is a nurse? Wow, I knew the NHS were stretched, but.................
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Your neighbour's dog is a nurse? Wow, I knew the NHS were stretched, but.................
    🤣

Having a lie in now with a mug of tea. Later I'll be taking my one allowed outside exercise, a long walk which I will combine with posting a small parcel and picking up a couple of supplies in the Spar down the road.
    Later I will be continuing to replace the garden decking, and tonight a film or two with my feet up.
    Think this is going to be pretty much the pattern until the restrictions either ease up or tighten up, whichever comes first.
    And of course based on the hope that none of us in the house get ill.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Mrs S is just back from Waitrose.

She got most of our midweek shop without too much trouble BUT...

She tried to buy some ready made curries, but they would only allow her 3 items... since the meals come as main dish and rice as two meals, that meant she couldn't buy enough for 2 people!!!!

It wasn't even that she wasn't allowed more than 3 of the same thing, it was 3 of anything in the range! Same with yoghurts - She couldn't but 4 separate yoghurts, but she could have bought 3 packs of 6 of a different brand...

Stopping panic buying is good of course, but if our two kids still lived at home, we couldn't buy enough for 2 people, let alone 4!!!!

They haven't sorted this out yet, clearly.

Oddly, she could buy as much fruit and veg as she liked - We've 10 bananas!

M

Heh, if she can do the job, do you care what species she is?

I expect a lot of people getting Coronavirus will be refusing treatment by EU national medical staff 'on principal'... Coming over here, saving xenophobes' lives...

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Mrs S is just back from Waitrose.

She got most of our midweek shop without too much trouble BUT...

She tried to buy some ready made curries, but they would only allow her 3 items... since the meals come as main dish and rice as two meals, that meant she couldn't buy enough for 2 people!!!!

It wasn't even that she wasn't allowed more than 3 of the same thing, it was 3 of anything in the range! Same with yoghurts - She couldn't but 4 separate yoghurts, but she could have bought 3 packs of 6 of a different brand...

Stopping panic buying is good of course, but if our two kids still lived at home, we couldn't buy enough for 2 people, let alone 4!!!!

They haven't sorted this out yet, clearly.

Oddly, she could buy as much fruit and veg as she liked - We've 10 bananas!

M
    I feel your pain on that. There is me and the wife plus 5 kids in the house. Yet everywhere I have been to shop we can only buy 1 loaf of bread or at absolute max 1 loaf and some buns. Meaning the bread last a day and Half at most. Same with toilet rolls we are allowed to but 4 pack at once.. between 7. Don’t last long.
    Yogurts are the same.
    Beginning to wish now I had stocked up loads and not listened...

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I feel your pain on that. There is me and the wife plus 5 kids in the house. Yet everywhere I have been to shop we can only buy 1 loaf of bread or at absolute max 1 loaf and some buns. Meaning the bread last a day and Half at most. Same with toilet rolls we are allowed to but 4 pack at once.. between 7. Don’t last long.
    Yogurts are the same.
    Beginning to wish now I had stocked up loads and not listened...
    No real pain for us as there's only the two of us at home now, but you don't need to be a 'big family' to find a limit of 3 similar items ridiculous.

Except, of course, that she needs to make more trips to the shops to get a week's supply, when the whole idea is to limit the amount of contact with others...

I wish you luck!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 24th March 2020 at 11:18.

On the plus side it’s encouraging the kids to try more food or the option is go hungry...
    so far this morning I’ve had...

We’ve no bread...
    We’ve no cereal....

I can’t eat anything for breakfast...

10 minutes later and all 5 kids are trying scrambled eggs with bacon...

I've just returned home from my daily "exercise", which is a slightly extended version of the same walk that I usually do twice each day.

I've reset the step goal on my Garmin Vivosmart to 5,000 as there's no point in having a goal that you can't possibly reach.

I met a couple of my neighbours while I was out, and we had a chat at a safe distance - I learned on BBC Breakfast that Richard Osman is two metres tall, so if you can imagine Richard Osman lying on the ground between you and your interlocutor then you should be ok. I've found that more people are happy to stop and chat right now, as they're obviously stir-crazy already, and glad of any human interaction.

That's it until tomorrow. I'm going to get my DVD's of "Chernobyl" out to cheer myself up. Still no prospect of a delivery from Ocado or Waitrose...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I understand that the supermarkets are supposed to be prioritising on-line shopping/deliveries for those high risk people who have to self isolate.

a) I can see no sign of this on any of the supermarket web sites

b) How would they know who was in that position and who isn't?

We've managed to arrange one home delivery but for our next shop - which we could only arrange for two weeks later! - we can only have click and collect which means one of us has to go out shopping!

And there's no guarantee that we'll get all/any of the things we've ordered that far ahead. We haven't stockpiled anything, or over ordered, so will have to reduce portions to eak things out!

This whole thing isn't being thought through at all!
    Best Regards - Peter

Life is exactly the same round here.

The Mrs and I are pretty much always self isolated!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    College officially closed until further notice, word is it could be september, i will get very bored, ok full pay but rather be working, probs going to get some security work to keep me sane!
    Please don't. There are lots of people out there who haven't been given the time off on full pay and REALLY need that job you might take just to keep yourself occupied.

If you really want to do something then volunteer for a charity.

Master
    I understand that the supermarkets are supposed to be prioritising on-line shopping/deliveries for those high risk people who have to self isolate.

We've managed to arrange one home delivery but for our next shop - which we could only arrange for two weeks later! - we can only have click and collect which means one of us has to go out shopping!

And there's no guarantee that we'll get all/any of the things we've ordered that far ahead. We haven't stockpiled anything, or over ordered, so will have to reduce portions to eak things out!

Good luck with that delivery.

One of my colleagues had pre booked delivery slots and received their online shopping yesterday. Of the 60 something items they ordered for a family of 4 they received only 3 of the things.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Please don't. There are lots of people out there who haven't been given the time off on full pay and REALLY need that job you might take just to keep yourself occupied.

If you really want to do something then volunteer for a charity.
    Nicely put.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master

I would take the advice given by Theiuster above. Those schedules are too full on for 1 to 1 teaching.

My wife and I are both working from home with 2 kids (7 and 9). We're doing 2 hours 1 to 1 teaching with them then 30min to 1hr where we leave them to get on with it themselves. The good thing is being able to teach them stuff beyond the basic literacy and numeracy. I've got them preparing powerpoint presentations based on 1 historic event each for the end of the week and I'm teaching them coding which they both seem to love.

The one thing that has been very disappointing for us is the complete lack of teachers on the online portal. My sister is a primary teacher and I know she's sitting around on her hole doing absolutely nothing like it's a holiday. I know this is not the case for all of them. But it does seem that both my kids teachers have taken this approach.

I am such a social recluse and hermit that I have not noticed any effect of social distancing or isolation at all.

This is my normal anyway sad as that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Good luck with that delivery.

One of my colleagues had pre booked delivery slots and received their online shopping yesterday. Of the 60 something items they ordered for a family of 4 they received only 3 of the things.
    Yep, that's our worry. Friends have advised us to go onto the ASDA web site the day before and check which items on the list are still available and to modify it accordingly. Delivery not till 1st April, so hopefully more things will become available by then.
    Best Regards - Peter

Stopped working today for three weeks as the government advised so went out to walk the dog this morning about 8.30 & work vans etc were everywhere just looked like a normal Tuesday morning.
    I'm self employed so no money for me until back to work & feel like a bit of a mug as everyone else is out & about earning.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I've written this before: I was home-schooled by my mum when I was between 6 and 8. We'd moved from a big town to a small fishing village next to the sea. She had a strict regime: starting a 8 AM, up until 10 AM and then off to the beach. After returning and dinner, I had to do reading. When I think back, this was the most wonderful time ever.
    This is a great sentiment, in years gone by, children were taught for an education, not for the exam meat-grinder. Having spent many years in Asia (mostly Singapore), the exam results are spectacular but there is very little understanding of common-sense, leadership or cultural appreciation.

My daughter might only be six months old but like all new parents I spend plenty of time thinking over her coming education. How best to promote happiness, an ingrained intellectual curiousity, multi-faceted learning (and hopefully a few exam results)?

For those struggling to juggle work and kids, Audible have made loads of kids books free. No log-ins, credit card or passwords needed - just listen direct from the web page.

For as long as schools are closed, we're open. Starting today, kids everywhere can instantly stream an incredible collection of stories, including titles across six different languages, that will help them continue dreaming, learning, and just being kids.

All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet.

Explore the collection, select a title and start listening.

https://stories.audible.com/start-listen

I had a root through one of the freezers yesterday and dug out a number of trout, sea trout and even the last of the salmon.

They have all been in the freezer for a while so we decided to make use of them. I let them defrost yesterday and then filleted them and brined them overnight. There are 15 sides in all that are currently sitting in the fridge whilst the pellicle forms and I will then stick them in the smoker overnight.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow we'll have some home-smoked fish that we can share around the village for those who'd like it. Distribution/collection might be a challenge, so some might go back in the freezer, but doubtless we will find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I had a root through one of the freezers yesterday and dug out a number of trout, sea trout and even the last of the salmon.

They have all been in the freezer for a while so we decided to make use of them. I let them defrost yesterday and then filleted them and brined them overnight. There are 15 sides in all that are currently sitting in the fridge whilst the pellicle forms and I will then stick them in the smoker overnight.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow we'll have some home-smoked fish that we can share around the village for those who'd like it. Distribution/collection might be a challenge, so some might go back in the freezer, but doubtless we will find a way.
    Sounds good, but can you refreeze fish?

Tonight I'm going to have fish fingers and the missus is going to get a wet plaice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Tonight I'm going to have fish fingers and the missus is going to get a wet plaice
    Just be careful you don’t get battered.

We're having Mackerel... errr....

Anyway, been a productive day for a change.

Went to Screwfix to get some guttering fittings for the school where I'm part time caretaker, which I'll replace over the Easter holiday (there are a few key workers' children still in there at the moment).

Popped into the bank to pay in some cheques and then to Waitrose to pick up some food, where I managed to get some things we'd not been able to for a while.

Everywhere was pretty strict about number of people inside (2 at the bank, 30 in Waitrose) and people were being good about keeping their distance when queuing for Waitrose.

Came home and spent a good few hours working online and then had a walk in the local woods.

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Weather beautiful today, sat with Liz on the balcony, chatting, coffee.
    Went for a 2 mile walk this afternoon. Feeling good. People seem to be adhering to advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Sounds good, but can you refreeze fish?
    You can freeze fresh fish (or meat) and once cooked (which this effectively is) freeze again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You can freeze fresh fish (or meat) and once cooked (which this effectively is) freeze again.
    Yes, that’s the case.

We often get raw game out of the freezer, cook up a whole batch of a recipe, have some for that day and then freeze the rest. Very often it improves with subsequent reheating.

We have heaps of game in the freezers to get through, and in the current climate it means we can make and share.

As you also say, curing and cold smoking is a very effective way of preserving food, so we will treat the smoked fish as though it was cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Just be careful you don’t get battered.
    I will be if she sees that post.

Master
    So long as defrosted in a fridge, you don't even have to cook it, but can freeze it again if you wish. In reality there is not a limit to the number of times something can be defrosted and frozen, the quality will simply deteriorate.

Today I made some preparations for winter

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    So long as defrosted in a fridge, you don't even have to cook it, but can freeze it again if you wish. In reality there is not a limit to the number of times something can be defrosted and frozen, the quality will simply deteriorate.

Today I made some preparations for winter

Food won’t last forever in a fridge so likewise can’t be defrosted/frozen limitlessly in a fridge.