closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flat white coffee machine.

Flat white coffee machine.

I know there are a lot of coffee loves on here. Anyone know of a machine that makes a good flat white micro foam?

Many can make a good foam for a cappuccino but the foam for a FW is a lot different.
    Not looking to spend too much if possible.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Take a tour of a few coffee forums. For cheap machines, most have the latte wand, but for some a better one can be retro fitted. Nearly all of the better machines they have a different type of milk wand which produces microfoam but you're talking serious coffee drinker cash for them.

The Gaggia Classic can be retro fitted with a wand from a Rancilio for microfoam so that might be the best way, though it's the latest version is not a cheap machine either really. I think the cheapest way to a good machine would be a Gaggia Classic Mk1 off eBay which has the steam wand mod already done.

Journeyman
    The 2019 gaggia classics have the wand already fitted now so no need to retro fit. They also have brass internals again ;)

Journeyman
    Check google

I'm bidding on a Gaggia Classic from eBay - heard about them before eventually buying a Hario V60 for pour over coffee. Now seems a good time to get one of these too for espresso!

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Take a tour of a few coffee forums. For cheap machines, most have the latte wand, but for some a better one can be retro fitted. Nearly all of the better machines they have a different type of milk wand which produces microfoam but you're talking serious coffee drinker cash for them.

The Gaggia Classic can be retro fitted with a wand from a Rancilio for microfoam so that might be the best way, though it's the latest version is not a cheap machine either really. I think the cheapest way to a good machine would be a Gaggia Classic Mk1 off eBay which has the steam wand mod already done.
    I went this route in the past, maybe it was my skill level but I never could produce good micro foam, time I got anywhere near a good foam, the milk was burnt.

Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    The 2019 gaggia classics have the wand already fitted now so no need to retro fit. They also have brass internals again ;)
    That’s good to know, a smart move by them, as above tho not sure it will produce the results I’m after.
    Is this your setup? What results are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by th6252 View Post
    Check google
    Thanks for your input,

I have tried google, very little on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'm bidding on a Gaggia Classic from eBay - heard about them before eventually buying a Hario V60 for pour over coffee. Now seems a good time to get one of these too for espresso!
    I have a great filter machine, De longhi, makes amazing coffee (the beans I use probably play a bigger part in that) just need a machine for milk based drinks now.

Anyone here have a la Pavoni Lever machine? Just came across them, they look amazing, more than I was wanting to pay.
    Couple of questions to any owners out there, how would you rate the steam arm? And what kind of maintenance/service do these require?
    Last edited by jegger; 23rd March 2020 at 16:13.

I have a La Pavoni Professional Lever machine.
    It only has a 2 cup water capacity so it won't produce steam like the Flying Scotsman but it does like nice on your desk!
    I use a Rocket Espresso Giotto as my domestic but also have a Bezzerra BZ35 in the garage that I picked up for £150-they both do a perfect job for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    I went this route in the past, maybe it was my skill level but I never could produce good micro foam, time I got anywhere near a good foam, the milk was burnt.

That’s good to know, a smart move by them, as above tho not sure it will produce the results I’m after.
    To get good milk out of the Rancilio type wand you need 2 things:

(1) Let the machine warm up properly - it'll never make decent coffee or build up decent afterwards in 5mins and as most people use milk direct from the fridge you need full strength steam.

(2) Technique. See Youtube

If the new Gaggia has got the new wand then it's probably the best buy for a new machine

Craftsman
    I have a Nespresso Creatista Plus and it makes a lovely flat white

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    I need to check that out, I’ll see if one of the stores will do me a tester FW.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    Wish I’d not looked here. I feel an isolation spend coming on !

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post

I have a Gaggia Classic pre 2015 with Rancilio wand and Mr Shades Pid, bottomless basket etc etc

Part of the fun fiddling

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I have a Gaggia Classic pre 2015 with Rancilio wand and Mr Shades Pid, bottomless basket etc etc

Part of the fun fiddling

My pre-2015 arrived today. Looking forward to getting it up and running.

May I ask the cost of the Mr Shades PID? I can't find info anywhere on it other than references to it being very useful!

Already ordered a pressure gauge to adjust the OPV given not using the pressure baskets or pre ground coffee etc.

I think they are only about 100 quid but mine was installed for me, the so called easy fitting instructions still need common sense which I haven't got. The internal opv on mine is set at 9 bar.

This is a good thread

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/341...aggia-classic/

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/341...aggia-classic/

Master
    Jura S8 makes good foam and has a flat white option.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    I know there are a lot of coffee loves on here. Anyone know of a machine that makes a good flat white micro foam?

Many can make a good foam for a cappuccino but the foam for a FW is a lot different.
    Not looking to spend too much if possible.
    Foam for a cappuccino is the same for a latte, is the same for a flat white.
    The only difference between a latte and flat white is the addition of a 3rd shot in the latter. That’s it.
    Depending on budget, consider the like of a Sage Barista machine (re-badged Breville) pre-owned or refurb on eBay.
    If you’re looking for a super automatic, then Saeco would be one to look at, although I’m thinking back a good number of years to the Royal and other higher end office capacity models.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Foam for a cappuccino is the same for a latte, is the same for a flat white.
    The only difference between a latte and flat white is the addition of a 3rd shot in the latter. That’s it.
    Depending on budget, consider the like of a Sage Barista machine (re-badged Breville) pre-owned or refurb on eBay.
    If you’re looking for a super automatic, then Saeco would be one to look at, although I’m thinking back a good number of years to the Royal and other higher end office capacity models.
    My understanding of this is different and so I would have to disagree - I can make lattes or flat whites on my espresso machine at home - the amount of coffee that goes into each drink is the same (in my case 18g ground coffee goes in) the difference then between the two is the amount of milk thats added to each one - a latte will have a slightly more foamy milk compared to the flat white but less foamy than a cappuccino and the flat white will have a more thinner milk with consistent microfoam running through it - the latte could be around 240ml total and a flat white around 160-180ml total.

Craftsman
    +1 for an old reconditioned Gaggia Classic with retrofitted steam wand. Also a PID if possible. I had this set up for ages & it's pretty sweet - good espresso, ok foam. The reality is it's difficult to get the kind of consistently good microfoam you're looking for with a cheaper machine. There's just no way round that, whatever anyone says. You can get decent foam most of the time with a properly set up Gaggia, particularly if you know what you are doing, but in my experience there's a big leap in ease, consistency & quality when you go to the next level of machine. Sadly, that next level is a big leap up in price.

I've had this for a year now: https://news.bellabarista.co.uk/new-...resso-machine/ & honestly it's amazing. Took me a long time researching, and several hours at the Bella Barista showroom before I pulled the trigger, but it's been one of the best purchases I've made. Normally I think people go the modded Gaggia route when they first start, then inevitably move onto the £1k+ machines fairly quickly, I was absolutely one of the these people.

I'm sure you're aware of this already, but the grinder is the more important bit of kit to get right weirdly enough. And good beans obvs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    My understanding of this is different and so I would have to disagree - I can make lattes or flat whites on my espresso machine at home - the amount of coffee that goes into each drink is the same (in my case 18g ground coffee goes in) the difference then between the two is the amount of milk thats added to each one - a latte will have a slightly more foamy milk compared to the flat white but less foamy than a cappuccino and the flat white will have a more thinner milk with consistent microfoam running through it - the latte could be around 240ml total and a flat white around 160-180ml total.
    I should’ve qualified the foam aspect better – silky textured milk with micro-bubbles, as seen/stated on the likes of Breville’s own videos, and those of Seattle Coffee. My understanding of it being a stronger coffee taste than a latte came from many years ago whilst on-site at a new Costa being fitted out, mentioning to the barista that I preferred more of the coffee coming through on a latte. It was he that remarked what I’d prefer then was a flat white, and (from memory) stated it was essentially a latte with an extra shot.

Seems there’s no exact definition, and a lot of confusion over whether Australia or New Zealand coined the term, and is in essence nothing more than an Italian Cappuccino. The chains get flak in the comments for producing stiff foam, which is something I’ve never aimed for when using the bean-to-cup machines I’ve had.

https://www.peterjthomson.com/coffee...-a-flat-white/

Really a flat white is best made with an ice cold jug , stick it in the freezer for a bit, and you keep the wand under surface, you don't want bubbles at all, you want a silky texture. And then make with a ristretto imo