closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Following On From The Rusty Hacksaw Thread

Following On From The Rusty Hacksaw Thread

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...60#post5358460

I thought I'd share my humble attempt at something similar with a vintage fishing reel which I picked up a few years ago as a non working 3 Pillar Fly Reel of American manufacture.

It was in a rather bad state. The front face was rusty....

The back significantly worse....

The foot was both rusty and loose....

The cage was in a very bad state indeed....

And the 'click' was seized preventing the reel from turning....

I don't have access to the kind of tools the professionals do so I dismantled it and set about it with a wire brush, a Dremel lookalike and a lot of wet and dry paper. After a lot of days effort it was starting to look a little better, inside....

and out....

The 'click' was freed, cleaned, refitted and lubricated

Following the removal of all the corrosion on the three brass pillars, (not an easy task!), the reel seat was firmly fixed in place and it was time to mask up the brass pillars and the centre spindle then apply a base primer coat followed by three coats of black gloss. The front face is looking a little better now....

As is the back....

and the cage....

Leave the gloss to dry for a week before polishing the brass pillars, lubricating the centre spindle and reassembling everything before loading with backing and a rather special 3 weight fly line that dates back to the late 50's early 60's and which has a level taper befitting of the period.

Looks a lot better now, and when fitted to my 3 weight glass fibre fly rod works as it did when it was first built. And I'm rather pleased with the result.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Nice job
    A man after my own heart

Great work Peter, well done!
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Excellent

Craftsman
    Really nice job, would never have the patience for a job like this!

Master
    Excellent job and post, love seeing degraded stuff being brought back to life. Very satisfying👍

Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciated.

It was a labour of love as I think old items like this are underappreciated and often simply get thrown away. For anyone with an interest in fishing I also have a vintage Mitchell 300 reel and a pair of ABU 501's, oh and then there's the Hardy Marquis #6 Silent Check, (very rare), and a few old centrepin coarse fishing reels. Mustn't forget all my old wooden Devon Minnows, Archers and other lovely lures - think I need to mount and frame some of them to hang on the wall. Then there's the rods and poles, I have the very first carbon fibre pole model brought into the UK, sadly my glass fibre pole gave up the ghost many years back!

They are all equally adept as their modern equivalents, if slightly heavier - but mounted on the right rod they are the perfect tool. This three pillar reel on a #3 weight glass fibre rod is a dream to fish with on small streams
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.