closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Now the coffee machine has bust!

Master

Now the coffee machine has bust!

Now that many of the coffee shops etc. are closed, I thought I'd press the old coffee machine back into use.

It's an old Cuisinart one and it hasn't been used for a while. Found a leak in the water tank - fixed that and left to dry. Bought a fresh pack of coffee yesterday (basically whatever was left on the shelves!). Went to make a coffee this morning - feeling pleased that my leak fix had worked - and nothing. It starts, warms up and the buttons stop flashing to show its ready. Press the button and it makes all the noises but no water comes through.

OK, I wasn't necessarily expecting it to work flawlessly but I did think I'd be able to coax a cup of coffee out of it.

Bugger. Now I'm having to look for a new machine. Don't want a bean-to-cup as am happy with buying ground. Any recommendations for around £200-£250?

Cheers

Aeropress and a kettle.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

+1 for the aeropress. Cheap, robust and makes the best coffee of any of the various machines that I have tried...

Aeropress vote for me to

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Anyone tried an Espro, it has a double filter - so in theory you can get a nice long coffee but with a much finer particle (i.e. espresso style).

These seem to get some good reviews.

https://www.rok.coffee/

I've got their grinder which I'm pleased with and they do a press/grinder package for under £250

If it all looks good and sounds like it’s trying, could it be it need priming? Google it and see if there is a way of pre-filling the water pipes. I had an old jura that did the same if ever it ran dry.

Tried descaling it ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    If it all looks good and sounds like it’s trying, could it be it need priming? Google it and see if there is a way of pre-filling the water pipes. I had an old jura that did the same if ever it ran dry.
    Doesn't seem to be much out there for this machine - think it is a Cuisinart EM200 (I found the manual for one of those online and it looks identical to mine). So not sure how to go about priming it.

I checked the water reservoir, it has a small spring-loaded valve and when I press the valve, water flows out. The valve sits onto a small piece of plastic that presses it in and that should make the water flow into the machine. Maybe that isn't working?

It definitely seems to be trying - makes all the noises but no water comes through. Even the cup warmer on the top gets nice and warm.

Worth opening up??

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Tried descaling it ?
    If I could water into the machine I would!

I love my coffee. Here in Edinburgh we have Artisan Roast, a local company who roast for their own coffee cafes and others. All of these are now closed.

But they are still in business online. If you love coffee, find your local roasters and give them an order or two. The staff may have been laid off but the company may be there when all this is over IF orders still come in.

For me a V60 or a Chemex for the win.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

For that you can get a second hand Gaggia Classic

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    That’s what I did, got one off eBay that had the low pressure mod done, been getting daily use for years now. Makes a great brew and fairly easy to repair, swapped a few parts over the years to keep it running.

I had a similar problem to the OP a while back and it was the solenoid needed replacing.
    Last edited by wombleh; 10th April 2020 at 19:59.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Doesn't seem to be much out there for this machine - think it is a Cuisinart EM200 (I found the manual for one of those online and it looks identical to mine). So not sure how to go about priming it.

I checked the water reservoir, it has a small spring-loaded valve and when I press the valve, water flows out. The valve sits onto a small piece of plastic that presses it in and that should make the water flow into the machine. Maybe that isn't working?

It definitely seems to be trying - makes all the noises but no water comes through. Even the cup warmer on the top gets nice and warm.

Worth opening up??

If I could water into the machine I would!
    My delonghi sometimes locks like this, to clear it I set it to the hot water setting and draw off a cup or so of water (Not steam, that doesn’t clear the lock) and all is good, perhaps this would work on yours?

Thomas Reid
    We have a Gaggia and an Aeropress, but I usually use cone paper filters. We are lucky in that Cardews in the Oxford covered market also have an online service, so we still get our beans and tea from them. These days I drink more tea (Lapsang) than coffee. I have two cups of coffee in the morning, then tea for the rest of the day.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Must be an epidemic, mine gave up the ghost this week. Used it Monday, filled it up on Tuesday and it was dead.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post

+1 for this. Although I'd hope you could get a good, modded old Classic for less than that from one of the forums. No point at all in spending that kind of money on a new machine - if you go new, you'll need to spend £1k+ to get something that does a better job than a Gaggia. So a second hand Gaggia/Aeropress/regular French press are your best options by a country mile.

Yeah I have a 2012 with Mr Shades PiD, upgraded screen and the rest of it, and I've bought the gubbins like an IMS basket etc , cost 220