closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 55

Thread: What’s on your wall?

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9

    What’s on your wall?

    Now that we are all spending a bit more time at home, what do you use to tell the time around the house? Any interesting, weird or fun clocks out there? I’ll get the ball rolling with my “LIMAX” quartz wall clock. I got it for £7.25 in a junk shop in Dalbeattie.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    10,508
    Astral (Smiths) Radio Room Quartz clock in the hall



    In the kitchen I have a modern reproduction radio controlled RAF Sector clock. Picture was taken ages ago before the sticker was removed.


  3. #3
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    1,817
    I bought this lovely Metamec for a few quid off eBay a long time ago. Then the original electric mechanism packed in (it looked like the moving parts had simply worn out). Pleasingly, I bought a quartz movement and repaired it myself. It's been working fine every since.

    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

  4. #4
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,599
    Aircraft






    Nixies






    Radio Rooms






    Interesting Japanese



    Don't Panic

  5. #5
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    1,817
    Definitely some interesting clocks there, but I bet they're a bit of a bugger when it comes to dusting your desk!

    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

  6. #6
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,599
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Definitely some interesting clocks there, but I bet they're a bit of a bugger when it comes to dusting your desk!
    Yeah, not all on the wall! Here's another one that is though. There are a fair few more Smiths dotted around the place.

    Last edited by Mr Curta; 22nd March 2020 at 17:04.
    Don't Panic

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    1,199
    I haven't set it for a while but it does tell me if the tide is coming in or going out.


  8. #8
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yeah, not all on the wall! Here's another one that is though. There are a fair few more Smiths dotted around the place.

    I see enough pigging radio room clocks when I'm at work so do t want one in the house. I do like this though.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    147

  10. #10
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    That's a real beauty.

    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

  11. #11
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    That's a real beauty.
    Thank you. I bought it 2nd hand from my second pay-packet when I was 16 (40 years ago). I dreamed of a PP Calatrava or JLC Reverso at the time but these were vastly beyond my means. Even the used JLC clock was more than half of my monthly salary. Friends thought I was crazy. Turned out they were correct.

  12. #12
    Master Andyp1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,000


    I won it in a golf competition years ago. I think it’s from John Lewis. It does have a rather loud tick


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    a wall clock and household clocks.


  14. #14
    £15 got me this horror from a local junk shop, I have grown rather fond of it though


  15. #15
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,599
    That's so bad it's good.
    Don't Panic

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    £15 got me this horror from a local junk shop, I have grown rather fond of it though

    Love it. If you ever deci..........

  17. #17
    Great post, i've just finished renovating my hobby room/man cave and I have been looking round for a clock, something a bit "special", there was a nice Seiko ships chronometer at a watch fair this year that a friend bought, I should have bought it but I was too tight fist'ed :)

  18. #18
    That's just and old cheap wall watch....
    Cannot stand it's tick....so...it's more like a painting :)

    Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,786
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I see enough pigging radio room clocks when I'm at work so do t want one in the house. I do like this though.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    A modern quartz (with sweep hand version)..

    https://www.brookpacelascelles.com/S...ial-255cm.aspx

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    nj,
    Posts
    193
    I wear my wrist watch most times home

  21. #21
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,599
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    A modern quartz (with sweep hand version)..

    https://www.brookpacelascelles.com/S...ial-255cm.aspx
    The originals can be bought for very reasonable sums - this one that only needed a new power cable cost £78. In front of it is a Smiths electric time switch clock, which can turn on and off the Bush DAC90 radio at preset times each day.

    Don't Panic

  22. #22
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The originals can be bought for very reasonable sums - this one that only needed a new power cable cost £78. In front of it is a Smiths electric time switch clock, which can turn on and off the Bush DAC90 radio at preset times each day.
    I'd much rather have an original one Matthew, but the lack of high-level power in most places makes it a bit less practical.

  23. #23
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,599
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    I'd much rather have an original one Matthew, but the lack of high-level power in most places makes it a bit less practical.
    Yes - I've used a lighting circuit for one as they aren't earthed.
    Don't Panic

  24. #24
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yes - I've used a lighting circuit for one as they aren't earthed.
    That hadn’t crossed my mind....


  25. #25
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    A modern quartz (with sweep hand version)..

    https://www.brookpacelascelles.com/S...ial-255cm.aspx
    I actually do like the look of that, thanks

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,599
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    That hadn’t crossed my mind....
    Don't Panic

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    bucks
    Posts
    469

    Now my only rolex


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    How do you set the chronograph?

  29. #29
    Master adesmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2,429
    Seiko everywhere...


  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berks
    Posts
    3,066

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post

    Now my only rolex
    Were you allowed to keep the box and papers?

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    wakefield
    Posts
    278


    Last edited by mitch1956; 23rd March 2020 at 21:37.

  33. #33
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    250
    My kitchen clock

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    250
    Argos do some nice Seiko clocks

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,786
    Got this one in the bathroom, makes a tight racket when it changes at 12:00 and 24:00


  36. #36
    Master pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,063
    Pretty mundane, but the best I could manage.


  37. #37
    Journeyman williemays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Dubuque
    Posts
    202
    Black Forest, early 80s...


  38. #38
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    21,104
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    I haven't set it for a while but it does tell me if the tide is coming in or going out.

    Brilliant - yet another case of - something I never knew I needed
    Last edited by number2; 24th March 2020 at 06:16.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  39. #39
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    bucks
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Black Forest, early 80s...

    Gateaux ??


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,418
    Not on my wall but about 5ft off the ground on a cabinet in my home office. I brought this home a couple of weeks ago long with my laptop and gadgets, ready for the long haul.

    I had it running about +10s a day at work and have to recalibrate it now. I also have had to disable the striking mechanism for domestic harmony.

  41. #41
    Craftsman Arcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Not on my wall but about 5ft off the ground on a cabinet in my home office. I brought this home a couple of weeks ago long with my laptop and gadgets, ready for the long haul.

    I had it running about +10s a day at work and have to recalibrate it now. I also have had to disable the striking mechanism for domestic harmony.
    Very nice do you know what model it is?

  42. #42
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,599
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Not on my wall but about 5ft off the ground on a cabinet in my home office. I brought this home a couple of weeks ago long with my laptop and gadgets, ready for the long haul.

    I had it running about +10s a day at work and have to recalibrate it now. I also have had to disable the striking mechanism for domestic harmony.
    Unsurprisingly I like that a lot.

    Have you built that Nixie tube clock yet?
    Don't Panic

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Very nice do you know what model it is?
    Apparently it is a ‘Troon’ (needless to say made by Smiths).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Unsurprisingly I like that a lot.

    Have you built that Nixie tube clock yet?
    I am not surprised :)

    As for the Nixie, I’m more embarrassed. I still have a half built kit, it is starting to feel more like a future retirement project. Probably if I committed a proper afternoon to it I’d get it done.

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Stockport, UK
    Posts
    2,232
    My QClockTwo which was my surprise 40th birthday gift from my wife. A talking point for every visitor and something I wouldn't have justified buying myself, but am delighted with as I didn't even know they existed at the time! I can even set my watch to it as it syncs to atomic clock signals.



    Ant

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunny Surrey
    Posts
    1,245

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,038
    Some lovely and interesting pieces there!
    We don’t have any wall clocks at the moment though we have tried a few.

    Fancy one for the study though so will need to investigate more. The Smiths radio clocks - any decent sources for original ones?

    Am also interested in the Nixies - have seen them before here but now need to investigate further. Are they difficult/challenging to put together?

  47. #47
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,599
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Some lovely and interesting pieces there!
    We don’t have any wall clocks at the moment though we have tried a few.

    Fancy one for the study though so will need to investigate more. The Smiths radio clocks - any decent sources for original ones?
    Radio Room clocks appear on eBay from time to time.


    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Am also interested in the Nixies - have seen them before here but now need to investigate further. Are they difficult/challenging to put together?
    You need a reasonable level of soldering competence, a knowledge of electronic components and to be able to work safely with electricity; instructions can be downloaded from the PV Electronics website to see exactly what is entailed. The ICs and tubes are mounted in sockets so you don't have to solder the legs directly but they are nevertheless a little bit fiddly, as are the (optional) surface mount LEDs. Although powered by a 12V DC supply, there is a High Voltage Generator circuit (150V - 190V) that has to be safely tested.

    The instructions include the following warnings:

    DANGER: The clock pcb includes a switched-mode voltage booster circuit. This generates nominally 170 Volts DC, but is capable of generating up to 300 Volts before adjustment. Assembly may only be undertaken by individuals who are suitably qualified and experienced in electronics assembly, and are familiar with safe procedures for working with high voltages. If in doubt, refer to a suitably qualified engineer before proceeding.

    The voltages generated by this circuit can give a potentially LETHAL ELECTRIC SHOCK.

    DISCLAIMER: This product is supplied as a kit of parts, intended only for suitably qualified electronic engineers, who are suitably qualified and experienced in electronics assembly, and are familiar with safe procedures for working with high voltages. The supplier, his agents or associates accept no liability for any damage, injury or death arising from the use of this kit of parts.

    This is not a finished product, and the person assembling the kit is responsible for ensuring that the finished product complies with any applicable local regulations governing electrical equipment, eg. UL, CE, VDE.
    Don't Panic

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post




    You need a reasonable level of soldering competence, a knowledge of electronic components and to be able to work safely with electricity; instructions can be downloaded from the PV Electronics website to see exactly what is entailed. The ICs and tubes are mounted in sockets so you don't have to solder the legs directly but they are nevertheless a little bit fiddly, as are the (optional) surface mount LEDs. Although powered by a 12V DC supply, there is a High Voltage Generator circuit (150V - 190V) that has to be safely tested.

    The instructions include the following warnings:

    DANGER: The clock pcb includes a switched-mode voltage booster circuit. This generates nominally 170 Volts DC, but is capable of generating up to 300 Volts before adjustment. Assembly may only be undertaken by individuals who are suitably qualified and experienced in electronics assembly, and are familiar with safe procedures for working with high voltages. If in doubt, refer to a suitably qualified engineer before proceeding.

    The voltages generated by this circuit can give a potentially LETHAL ELECTRIC SHOCK.

    DISCLAIMER: This product is supplied as a kit of parts, intended only for suitably qualified electronic engineers, who are suitably qualified and experienced in electronics assembly, and are familiar with safe procedures for working with high voltages. The supplier, his agents or associates accept no liability for any damage, injury or death arising from the use of this kit of parts.

    This is not a finished product, and the person assembling the kit is responsible for ensuring that the finished product complies with any applicable local regulations governing electrical equipment, eg. UL, CE, VDE.
    That's me out then! I have a soldering iron, but haven't really used it and wouldn't be able to test the voltages.

  49. #49
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    167
    I don't do clocks, can't stand the ticking

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  50. #50
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    High Wycombe UK
    Posts
    250
    Kitchen...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information