closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strap for this?

Strap for this?

Just bought this nice looking piece. I’m not a fan of rubber straps really so wondered if anyone has suggestions as what could work on it. I’m thinking maybe a green Phoenix nato or maybe black... probably not leather but maybe cordura type?

If anyone has a watch with this case shape I’d be interested to see what you have yours on!

P.s not a fan of bracelets

Cheers

Strap for this?

Erika’s original. Try to grab the Corsa Limited Edition one she has - would look perfect
    Or the normal black ops one if you don’t want the splash of red

Thanks yes maybe a black one with PVD fittings but I do find the hardware on them a bit much. Only one way to try though... will get one bought!

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Thanks yes maybe a black one with PVD fittings but I do find the hardware on them a bit much. Only one way to try though... will get one bought!
    be aware she charges an additional €25 for pvd hardware !

That's one extremely cool watch! Congrats!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought one of these for my black Gshock.

https://www.thestrapshop.co.uk/colle...fittings-black

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I bought one of these for my black Gshock.

https://www.thestrapshop.co.uk/colle...fittings-black
    They are a bit thin for a heavy steel watch.

I'd say a charcoal-coloured kevlar strap would be the best bet. I came near to buying a Meylan-branded one of these a few months ago - very cool, especially with a bit of wabi. How easy would it be to find a Lemania-branded buckle or deployant?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Big sale here grab a few and experiment.

https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/

That would look good on a Haveston canvas, especially when worn in enough to match the case.

https://www.haveston.com/10-corp-canvas-series
    F.T.F.A.

Distressed canvas or denim perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That would look good on a Haveston canvas, especially when worn in enough to match the case.

https://www.haveston.com/10-corp-canvas-series
    Duh, beat me to it, great minds think alike!

I know you said no leather... but... when did anyone ever listen to OP in a forum thread? This Pattini would look mint on that (size notwithstanding):

And Perlon suits a vintage watch (personally prefer a 2-piece):

Little splash of colour:

Or go green:

Lovely watch, deserves a good strap.

Thanks guys some great suggestions there. I did wonder about on elf these even though I said no leather
    https://www.autodromo.com/straps/20mm-ribbed-straps/

It's coming from Switzerland and probably will take ages with the current issues so won't hold my breath or get frustrated; we've recently been given a wake up call that makes you realise what we take for granted!

Cheers

I wondered about a sailcloth strap with white stitching?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Nice congratulations

Look after that, the SAAF chrono-second hand alone is a rare thing.
    Strap wise i would ensure that what you try has a taper. The near hexagonal nature of those cases likes a taper.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Strap wise i would ensure that what you try has a taper. The near hexagonal nature of those cases likes a taper.
    D
    Thanks yes I love a taper; main watch is a Longines Legend Diver on a 22/18.

Was thinking about this:

Here's a few more pics of the watch:

D
    I was hoping you'd see the watch as I wanted to pick your brains - is this a 5100 movement? Look like one but most look like they've got three subdials, but assume they can be made with less if desired.

Unfortunately the seller was a little light on specifics but I just had to have it!!

Strap for this?

I was hoping you'd see the watch as I wanted to pick your brains - is this a 5100 movement? Look like one but most look like they've got three subdials, but assume they can be made with less if desired.

Unfortunately the seller was a little light on specifics but I just had to have it!!
    2 subdials I believe normally as the double Chrono hand centre mounted doubles as the second and minute counter (see second pic) so eliminates the need for a running minutes subdial. First pic is another strap option - the fold over chronissimo waterproof. the bulk of the strap at the case end absorbs a lot of the watch’’ height
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 23rd March 2020 at 09:39.

GGB new website is open for business, plenty to choose from there.

More likely the slower beating 5012 movement, which most commonly omits the 24-hr scale at 12. It could be a 5100 with a removed sub-dial, but as Lemania had both to hand, I would see no need to modify one if you had the other.
    A beat rate of 21,600 would settle it as the 5012. The 5100 uses 28,800.
    You will probably find that the case is aluminium. Not steel.
    And also, these bezels usually rotated, but this one shows all the signs of having been fixed in position.
    It dates from some time in the 1980s (possibly early 90s) if you tell me the movement serial number I may be able to be more specific.

It is a good-looking thing, I like its monochrome simplicity. A very quietly competent chronograph.

Dave

Thanks Dave I'll let you know. Can you tell me a little more about the SAAF (South African Air Force?) second hand, trying to track down as much as I can about this watch...

Sure
    It does stand for South African Air Force. They issued Lemania chronographs to their pilots, and the last one they issued was a Lemania 5012 powered one.
    Rikus Basson runs the definitive site for these watches (look it up), but HERE is a Fratello watches article on the watch. There are a couple at least owned by forum members here. Andy I know still has his.
    The SAAF is now a very rare and valuable chronograph, and Lemania only used the chronograph seconds hand on the SAAF and a few other random models (I owned one a while back). Yours is another. Spares do not exist for SAAF watches, and there are plenty of examples of the SAAF Lemania that lack the distinctive hand. The SAAF had a fairly robust attitude towards repair (and eventual disposal) of these watches. It is not an exaggeration to state that batches were buried at the point of disposal, and that spares were found and used however they could.
    So I would imagine that there would be (amongst a limited but very commited audience) a strong demand for such a hand.

But I strongly recommend that you keep it on your watch, it is original to that too.

Dave

so here is a forum post from 2017 showing a guy who has got 2 SAAF chronos, both with the wrong hands

Last edited by sweets; 23rd March 2020 at 19:27.

How interesting, thanks for that. I had no idea it was a special model - I nearly bought one a while back with orange hands but prefer the simple look of this version. The bezel looks slight off centre so maybe it does rotate, will let you know. So the central minutes hand, does that slowly advance with the seconds or jump forward one minute every 60s? It does make a lot more sense than a small subdial. Guess the dial at 6 is chronograph hours?

Now I'm wondering about the pros and cons of an aluminium case - guess it's fairly light?

I've ordered tons of straps (feel a bit bad, I'm sure the posties have more important things to deliver) so will try it on several - although the design of the rubber strap it comes with is growing on me I must say.

Cheers

It’s a lovely looking watch and the SAAF watch was the first thing that came to my mind
    I am jealous it’s right up my street, I hope the bezel does move, if not I would look to get it freed if possible.
    I am looking forward to seeing pictures when it arrives.
    Enjoy

Thanks, will do.

I think I’ve found the perfect strap
    https://www.xeric.com/collections/20...rap-gun-buckle

Shame it’s in the US but think I'll still go for it

Last edited by ped; 24th March 2020 at 00:30.

How interesting, thanks for that. I had no idea it was a special model - I nearly bought one a while back with orange hands but prefer the simple look of this version. The bezel looks slight off centre so maybe it does rotate, will let you know. So the central minutes hand, does that slowly advance with the seconds or jump forward one minute every 60s? It does make a lot more sense than a small subdial. Guess the dial at 6 is chronograph hours?

Now I'm wondering about the pros and cons of an aluminium case - guess it's fairly light?

I've ordered tons of straps (feel a bit bad, I'm sure the posties have more important things to deliver) so will try it on several - although the design of the rubber strap it comes with is growing on me I must say.

Cheers
    Special model may be pushing it a little. Rare, certainly.
    Lemania were/are known for a bit of a parts bin manufacturing philosophy. They seem to have tried out most of the combinations of parts that fit themselves, withe even more combinations being made for other brands. This is another example, but one that happens to work particularly well. This case version of a 5012 watch is often seen as a sponsor watch, I have seen this done for Mistral (the windsurfers) and Philip Morris, as well as for other makers such as Meylan.

Yep, the Lemania minute hand advances slowly, as does the one on the DD module that apes this functionality. The 7750 based versions like Sinn and Damasko (and Tutima's new one I think) all jump forward on the minute like the 7750 does.

Don't worry about the ally case, it'll be fine. You can see that the PVD is not the "soak in" type, it is more of a surface coating, and it is wearing off in a very nice "just on the high spots" manner. That'll be the thing that shows more age than the case.

Go mad with the straps, there is something very satisfying about getting the right strap for a watch.

I think this one from Barton may also work, I have just got the black/orange version for a watch of mine, and am blown away by how good it is for £18. You get a long and short slip section, 2 keepers and the further one has a locator to keep it at the end of the strap. It is also slightly pre-curved, and you can get it with a PVD buckle. It is great. And for £18? Makes RubberB and the like look like the thieves they clearly are.

Dave

Cheers Dave, that strap looks great - but as with lots of other rubber straps I always find the keepers quite chunky and too big, though I'd have to try it to be sure and £18 is worth a go.

I wondered if anyone is at home bored with a copy of photoshop - I'm deciding which of these two (black) straps to buy and hoped someone could photoshop them onto the watch for me?

Cheers!

Master
    I'd certainly not rule out leather. My pvd Carrera is on a leather made by Pav (the previous owner had good taste!).

Ped
    Looking at picture you just posted the watch looks to be on a lesser spotted version of an isofrane (or a copy at least) if it is that strap could be worth a few quid on its own!
    Back to the strap question I quite like the padded straps posted but I PAV rally style strap on the similar to that on the Carrera would be my choice (all black no contrast stitch)

Thanks yes it looks great on that Heuer but for some reason one of my 'red lines' are those straps with the thread around the ends like that; don't know why but I'm sure I can find one similar without the stitching. Thanks for the suggestion.

The only reason I'm not a fan of rubber straps is because I've only tried a few and found them quite thick and bulky, particularly at the keepers. The only exception being a vintage Tropic which was lovely. Maybe this one will be fine but will have to see. It does fit the style of the watch quite well I have to say.

WHat's the WR on these? I'll most likely have it serviced and tested when it arrives (if my watchmaker is still working). I'd never swim in it but would be good to know it's splash proof.

Cheers

You're right, the strap on it does look quite 'valuable' - it's a Tropic 2000. Given my favourite rubber strap I've tried was a Tropic, I'm hoping it's nice and supple like the one I used to have.

How about a Hirsch performance strap
    The sailcloth pattern in grey with black edging/underside would look fantastic on that.
    Or the olive green version

It’s here!!! Finally! The package wasn’t labelled properly so I had to submit proof of value etc which added several days delay but just managed to get it before bank holiday!

It’s beautiful. Just live the case shape.

Just a quick pic for now on a nice green NATO with PVD fittings. Normally I hm find green ones way too shiny but this is totally matte.

So very quickly - yes the bezel rotates. And yes the strap is a Tropic 2000 which might be kept but not sure yet.

Seems to be keeping time bang on for the last hour at least although I’ll probably have it serviced as a matter of principle when the covid situation is under control.

Haven’t checked the lume yet - I assume it’s dead but you never know!

Cheers more pics tomorrow!!

Green NATO with black fittings is [Rodia-approved].

It’s here!!! Finally! The package wasn’t labelled properly so I had to submit proof of value etc which added several days delay but just managed to get it before bank holiday!

It’s beautiful. Just live the case shape.

Just a quick pic for now on a nice green NATO with PVD fittings. Normally I hm find green ones way too shiny but this is totally matte.

So very quickly - yes the bezel rotates. And yes the strap is a Tropic 2000 which might be kept but not sure yet.

Seems to be keeping time bang on for the last hour at least although I’ll probably have it serviced as a matter of principle when the covid situation is under control.

Haven’t checked the lume yet - I assume it’s dead but you never know!

Cheers more pics tomorrow!!

Result all round then
    Very nice

I am glad it arrived, is keeping time and with a rotating bezel.
    Enjoy.
    I really love the high-spot wear on that watch, it really suits it.

D

I am glad it arrived, is keeping time and with a rotating bezel.
    Enjoy.
    I really love the high-spot wear on that watch, it really suits it.

D
    Thanks! Yes indeed, and the case shape is very clever. Quite subtle the way it tapers towards the end of the lug.

Thanks! Yes indeed, and the case shape is very clever. Quite subtle the way it tapers towards the end of the lug.

I like it even more from that angle .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Lemania GGB

Congrats on the cool watch. A GasGasBones might look good with it.

Thank you. Yes they do look interesting and nicely customisable too. Just not sure about Velcro. Is that your watch in the pic?

Master
    A lovely watch well worth waiting for.

As well as the taper to the lugs I like the cutaway for the bezel at six o'clock. I assume there is a corresponding one at twelve o'clock too?
    Last edited by Wimm; 10th April 2020 at 19:25. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    A lovely watch well worth waiting for.

As well as the taper to the lugs I like the cutaway for the bezel at six o'clock. I assume there is a corresponding one at twelve o'clock too?
    Thanks! Yes indeed - the bezel is a simple friction spring type but it has a nice feel and of course it's very difficult to knock as it's countersunk the rest of the way round.

Looks quite nice on this sand colour strap too - in the flesh it matches the colour of the lume perfectly

Beautiful watch - I love Lemania chronos. A great find - well done!