closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first yellow-dialled watch - transposing a 7T62 movement from a Pulsar to a Seiko

My first yellow-dialled watch - transposing a 7T62 movement from a Pulsar to a Seiko

I have a soft spot for Seiko's 7T62 movement, not least because the alarm hands at the 6 o'clock sub-dial double up as a second time zone, which is always useful when I am travelling. Because of this I have a search set up on eBay to find anything listed related to the 7T62 movement.

Some time last year I picked up a Pulsar that was fitted with the 7T62. It was not a particularly attractive watch, and the bracelet was too small for it to be wearable by me, but the movement was in good working order so I kept it to one side whilst I waited for a suitable destination watch to be listed.

A couple of weeks ago a yellow-dialled Seiko 7T62-0CN0 appeared on eBay - it had no crystal and all the hands were either damaged or missing, but the dial and case looked to be in pretty decent nick, so for 50 pence over a tenner I gave it a go.

The watch turned up on Friday and other than a few specks of dirt and some missing lume on the dial it certainly looked like it would do the job, so I got the Pulsar out and found a new 30mm/3mm crystal in my spares box.

I stripped the Seiko down and gave the case a clean, then fitted the crystal. I also stripped down the Pulsar. Having everything arranged on the desk I then re-assembled the Seiko, fitting the movement from the Pulsar and then getting the hands sorted.

Although the design of the hands is different to those originally fitted to this particular model, I think they suit the watch pretty well. It will serve as yet another beater, and for a grand outlay of under 20 quid if nothing else it has filled in a few hours of a Saturday and distracted me from all the news about Covid-19!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice job looks great

How do you find the hand visibility? I have found that I need black outlined hands on orange and yellow watches, silver hands don’t stand out well enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Very nice job looks great

How do you find the hand visibility? I have found that I need black outlined hands on orange and yellow watches, silver hands don’t stand out well enough for me.
    Thank you.

Interesting point about the hands that I hadn’t really thought about until you made it.

The hour and minute hands are very legible, but mostly because of the large contrasting area of lume.

The larger silver chrono seconds hand is more of a challenge (though it does mean it is largely invisible when just glancing at the time) and I might perhaps try swapping it out for another in black, orange or even red.