closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current state of our shops

Blog Entries
    We now have a "COVID responders and volunteers" local page on social media. Post this morning telling people the local supermarket has eggs on the shelves.

Wonder how long it took the hoarders to descend on it and clean them out?

I know people mean well but.................
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    My local tesco was turning people away this morning apparently as it was full. People queuing in their cars back to the main road and the queue of people was just as long. All this was supposed be during the NHS / elderly hour. I'm amazed at the herd mentality displayed by these morons. Yet in town folk are queuing at the correct distance apart etc just seems its a mad free for all in the supermarkets. I really hope it calms down this coming week.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    The differences between the UK and Spain couldn´t be more stark.

What happened to British common sense, manners and pragmatism, was it all only ever a convenient ´myth´, can´t be though as I know I was brought up that way...christ, I´m really not as old as this makes me sound.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

What happened to British common sense, manners and pragmatism, was it all only ever a convenient ´myth´, can´t be though as I know I was brought up that way...christ, I´m really not as old as this makes me sound.
    As you well know, and seem to be happy to ignore in your thousands of posts on the subject, there is plenty of common sense, manners and pragmatism left here. You just never see it reported, because it’s not going to get clicks or sell papers.

You are genuinely sounding more and more like Cilla as the days and weeks pass. If that’s where you want to be, great. But if not, maybe worth considering

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    As you well know, and seem to be happy to ignore in your thousands of posts on the subject, there is plenty of common sense, manners and pragmatism left here. You just never see it reported, because it’s not going to get clicks or sell papers.

You are genuinely sounding more and more like Cilla as the days and weeks pass. If that’s where you want to be, great. But if not, maybe worth considering
    Duly noted.

Thatcher - "......who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first."

Apologies for mentioning politics in the G&D, but the solutions to this madness are political. It's no good appealing to peoples better nature, and common sense aint that common any more. The minute the government announced the closure of the pubs the stripping of beer from the supermarket shelves began! It requires the government to clamp down, NOW - and if that means rationing then bring it on!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Morrisons nr. me was quiet at 12.30. Staff were stocking shelves and were relieved as the madness had gone (for the moment). Some things not in, yeast, flour, paper goods eg loo roll, tinned goods eg butter beans, tuna etc Milk limited to 3 pp (good). Went past the Tesco in Greenfield nr.Oldham and the car park looked full at 9.30am. Supermarkets knocking their hours back to 8-8 (not sure about 24hr ones). Apparently notebooks were a popular item - sold out!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Thatcher - "......who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first."

Apologies for mentioning politics in the G&D, but the solutions to this madness are political. It's no good appealing to peoples better nature, and common sense aint that common any more. The minute the government announced the closure of the pubs the stripping of beer from the supermarket shelves began! It requires the government to clamp down, NOW - and if that means rationing then bring it on!
    i suspect this wont (be allowed) to happen again. Call it a test for a bad brexit. Rationing will be applied right away. Thank god the public dont believe there is a shortage of fuel! Interestingly I read that Citadel a hedge fund has made a $1 billion shorting airline shares. Hoard toilet rolls that's bad, make money from peoples misfortunes, that business!

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post

Just my view Peter but fwiw I think Maggie was counselling against men and women abdicating personal and familial responsibility and becoming overly reliant on being told what to do and think and blaming their ´problems´ on Society-Government. In a similair vein to Kennedy´s ´ask not what your country can do for you...

At least thats´my interpretation, the lesson if you like, I took away from what she said.

Needed to walk into town and pop into Superdrug to get some ...never you mind... first thing.
    In town is very quiet but they’ve restocked a shelf with paracetamol and a chap queuing behind me had two packs. Behind him his young son also had two packs. Cue the row at the till when they refused to serve the lad as he’s too young to buy the paracetamol.
    They just can’t help themselves.

In times of real difficulty the supplies that people have laid in will be taken from them, by force if necessary, and shared out amongst the people, from distribution centres. A move that will come after rationing failing to work. It's a sad state the the weak-minded can't control their bulk-buying urges for the benefit of the rest.

Look at this way. Loo roll is what we see selling out so it makes us thinks things are in short supply, put 200 jars of jam on a shelf it takes up maybe 1m on two shelves, 50% of that sells it still looks like there’s loads. Put 200 packs of loo roll out it takes up half an aisle, 50% of that sells and It looks like there’s a shortage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    i suspect this wont (be allowed) to happen again. Call it a test for a bad brexit. Rationing will be applied right away. Thank god the public dont believe there is a shortage of fuel! Interestingly I read that Citadel a hedge fund has made a $1 billion shorting airline shares. Hoard toilet rolls that's bad, make money from peoples misfortunes, that business!
    Yes but the largest group of investors are pension funds and that makes surviving in your old age a bit more likely.

I am 71, so the downside is that I am in the high risk category, so there is an higher than average chance of me popping my clogs. Not a nice thought as my wife is a similar age.

However as I am now in lockdown and cannot go beyond my gate without good reason, I am not spending the usual £130pw on restaurants that I normally do and my car travel is all but non existent. I reckon my expenditure is down by £600 each month.

We all have downsides and upsides in any thing like this. Just got to make the most of it.

Just my view Peter but fwiw I think Maggie was counselling against men and women abdicating personal and familial responsibility and becoming overly reliant on being told what to do and think and blaming their ´problems´ on Society-Government. In a similair vein to Kennedy´s ´ask not what your country can do for you...

At least thats´my interpretation, the lesson if you like, I took away from what she said.
    You may be right as to what she meant P, but I don't think the majority of the UK public saw it that way - based on the way they have behaved since, right up to, (and especially), now. The ME ME ME attitude in this country is all pervading!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    In times of real difficulty the supplies that people have laid in will be taken from them, by force if necessary, and shared out amongst the people, from distribution centres. A move that will come after rationing failing to work. It's a sad state the the weak-minded can't control their bulk-buying urges for the benefit of the rest.
    Strange notion - it won't happen.

Rationing may be a reality, but I doubt it - the issue is greed, not shortage of supply. Once your house is full, it's full.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Not too late to get some spuds planted.

Stocking up on compost ready for tomatoes in case garden centres/B&Q etc closed in a month. Worth getting anything needed for a summer of gardening in now.

There's more than enough to go around. Once everyone realises that they can still get everything that they need they will revert to normal shopping patterns and the shelves will refill. The supermarkets can expect a bit of a downturn when this eventually comes to an end and the stockpiles get used.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    There's more than enough to go around. Once everyone realises that they can still get everything that they need they will revert to normal shopping patterns and the shelves will refill. The supermarkets can expect a bit of a downturn when this eventually comes to an end and the stockpiles get used.
    I hope you're correct and people do realise there is enough to go round. I don't see it though. People are very selfish and self centered these days (not everyone obviously but enough to influence things). I honestly blame social media for a large part of it. The "look at me" nature of everything, people don't care about anyone outside their immediate circle

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I read this and makes a lot of sense to me. Especially paired with my own anecdotal experience of visiting shops this week.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Master
    I agree with the above model regarding shift from dining out to home cooking etc. I also agree supermarkets have stunning replencement soft ware. However what I believe people are thinking is, “ I could be ill for two weeks, so Ill buffer up 2 weeks” . This is substantially more than £5/6 per shop.

Also the buying mix changes hence the run on staples beans pasta etc. The replenishment model for supermarkets probably says 1 packet of pasta per 5 shoppers, now you have 5 shoppers buying 3 each, a 15 fold increase. No supply chain is set up for that shockwave.

Lastly Tesco and Asda run out of mince pies on Christmas eve and have hundreds of boxes of quality street on Boxing day and they have talented buyers spending probably 3 months planning Christmas which incidentally repeats :)

Steve

Tesco today. Small wait outside separated by 2m lines.

Most items is stock but obviously no hand-gel, tinned tomatoes, pasta, proper rice, anti-bac spray, sugar, toilet rolls, flour or yeast etc. No problem as have plenty of those and making own hand sanitizer.

Not sure why no flour as bakery still open and plenty of fresh bread. Limited range of packaged (sliced) bread and obviously some reduced product lines.

A few customers wearing masks and even fewer wearing disposable gloves. What surprised me amongst all these distancing measures was the 4 or so Tesco staff going around in a close huddle for the 30 minutes I was in there discussing and placing markers on the floor where customers were to stand in till queues.

Whole experience shopping experience very strange TBH, slightly scary even, with people behaving as if the next person has the virus.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Whole shopping experience very strange TBH, slightly scary even, with people behaving as if the next person has the virus.
    Yes, I experienced the same and it feels horrible avoiding other human beings and seeing them avoiding me.

On the other hand that is what social distancing is. Treat others as though they are carrying the virus and avoid them during this ‘lockdown’ period.

Blog Entries
    The UK is a little ahead of us, like hoarding toilet paper when we had plenty in the aisles. A week later - it must have been picked up by some on seeing it on Facebook or similar- it started here as well. Current situation is that the toilet rolls are back and even on sale (no kidding!). The shops are all filled with all sorts of stuff again. Even handsoap is back on the shelves.

Shops need to restrict the number of people inside: 10m2/customer. A 1000m2 shop is restricted to 100 customers inside, with the mandatory use of a trolley.. The shop owners restrict the number of customers inside by putting 100 shopping trolleys outside. The there are no shopping trolleys available, you're not allowed inside. And, only one person with one trolley. Not a family gathering around a trolley.

I've tried to develop a strategy and for now it works: I do my shopping during the morning office hours; between 8 and 9 AM: with the kids at home doing their school chores, at least one parent is 'tied to home' at the same time. So, he or she has no time to do the weekly shopping run. Yesterday, there were 10 or 20 persons inside a very large supermarket!

Having a workshop at hand, it's easy to get gloves we use when working with oil. Normally these things wear and tear every half hour or so, therefore we have tons of these on the shelf! There was a time that they came free with the delivery of oily parts and we didn't want them because we were over-stocked, so the speak. Now, we've distributed half of the stock among ourselves. And I use them when going to the stores!

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The UK is a little ahead of us, like hoarding toilet paper when we had plenty in the aisles. A week later - it must have been picked up by some on seeing it on Facebook or similar- it started here as well. Current situation is that the toilet rolls are back and even on sale (no kidding!). The shops are all filled with all sorts of stuff again. Even handsoap is back on the shelves.

Shops need to restrict the number of people inside: 10m2/customer. A 1000m2 shop is restricted to 100 customers inside, with the mandatory use of a trolley.. The shop owners restrict the number of customers inside by putting 100 shopping trolleys outside. The there are no shopping trolleys available, you're not allowed inside. And, only one person with one trolley. Not a family gathering around a trolley.

I've tried to develop a strategy and for now it works: I do my shopping during the morning office hours; between 8 and 9 AM: with the kids at home doing their school chores, at least one parent is 'tied to home' at the same time. So, he or she has no time to do the weekly shopping run. Yesterday, there were 10 or 20 persons inside a very large supermarket!

Having a workshop at hand, it's easy to get gloves we use when working with oil. Normally these things wear and tear every half hour or so, therefore we have tons of these on the shelf! There was a time that they came free with the delivery of oily parts and we didn't want them because we were over-stocked, so the speak. Now, we've distributed half of the stock among ourselves. And I use them when going to the stores!
    Mrs P nipped out yesterday to the supermarket for us and an elderly friend who is following the self iso advice to the letter, good for her. There is a security guard on the door limiting the number inside at anyone time, people queuing outside observe the 2 m distancing rule, before entering everyone got a squeeze of hand sanitizer aand then dons a pair of disposable gloves before entering, theres' no discernible shortage of anything at present, no not even bog roll, although she had to buy a substitute brand of flour but hey it's not rationing. We chose an area which has several supermarkets because in the summers they get a huge influx of holiday makers, right now and with the shut down considerably less so, makes people thin on the ground.
    Spain is getting clobbered right now but eventually such measures if everyone observes them will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    So you’re telling me that the authorities will go into people’s homes and forcefully take items to distribute to others? That is absolutely rubbish. That is the biggest load of nonsense that I’ve read on here for a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    So you’re telling me that the authorities will go into people’s homes and forcefully take items to distribute to others? That is absolutely rubbish. That is the biggest load of nonsense that I’ve read on here for a while.
    Good luck with trying that one at my house and I suspect a great many other householders would resist such intrusions and commandeering attempts with considerable violence!
    Last edited by KavKav; 28th March 2020 at 10:12.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not too late to get some spuds planted.

Stocking up on compost ready for tomatoes in case garden centres/B&Q etc closed in a month. Worth getting anything needed for a summer of gardening in now.

I have built myself a trough, a bloody big stout over-engineered timber trough and filled it with 20 large bags of John Innes (mixed) and have planted ‘Charlotte’ seed potatoes. Cost to date £310. Estimated amortised production cost of each ultimately recovered spud? I reckon about 12p. Yes, I know how cheap a big bag of Charlotte spuds is in the shop but I don’t care as this whole exercise has been and is very satisfying and very therapeutic and when the zombies, the three horsemen and other roaming undesirables miscellaneous hove into view, providing I can escape/eliminate them I will at least have access to spuds and in that scenario those spuds will be worth more than Rolex watches as you cannot eat a Rolex watch, not without a Rolex AD’s permission anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I have built myself a trough, a bloody big stout over-engineered timber trough and filled it with 20 large bags of John Innes (mixed) and have planted ‘Charlotte’ seed potatoes. Cost to date £310. Estimated amortised production cost of each ultimately recovered spud? I reckon about 12p. Yes, I know how cheap a big bag of Charlotte spuds is in the shop but I don’t care as this whole exercise has been and is very satisfying and very therapeutic and when the zombies, the three horsemen and other roaming undesirables miscellaneous hove into view, providing I can escape/eliminate them I will at least have access to spuds and in that scenario those spuds will be worth more than Rolex watches as you cannot eat a Rolex watch, not without a Rolex AD’s permission anyway!
    Could always use in spud gun to fend them off.

(Tight fitting spud in a drainpipe + lighter fuel!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk