closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current state of our shops

Current state of our shops

Firstly I realise we’re all in the same boat and we have to all do our bit, I’m fully behind anything in place to ensure that the elderly and vulnerable get the best opportunities to get the items they need, it goes without saying. There is however a massive failing for the vast number of working families which needs to be addressed. Most people work and so going to the shops beforehand is difficult especially now with the shops only being open at this time for the elderly etc. During the day the shops are being cleared of virtually everything, meats, breads, eggs, toilet rolls, cleaning products to mention a few. By the time most get home the pickings are small. Tomorrow I’m due to go the shops to purchase bread and milk and basics which I’ve been without all this week and I know that I’ll either be unlucky or will have my normal amount for a family of 4 for the week placed to a bear minimum which will likely last a day or so. This isn’t me panic buying or taking more than I need it’s the amount myself and other families need for a realistic week. There is something very wrong in my view and the current situation for the vast number of working families.

There are now 2 types of bulk buyers. The selfish, scum ridden panic buyer and the normal person forced to buy in bulk because of the former. Sad state of affairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it’s a crap situation. I now think us lot who took advice and didn’t panic buy over the last two weeks will be washing our behinds in the shower and using water instead of milk whereas those who immediately bought 3-months supply of loo roll and stocked their freezers full of bread will be just fine.

It won’t get any better either. There will be plenty of people who now see the empty shelves and will start stocking up more than they need at any opportunity. Maybe we were the idiots for not realising that we are an individual in a population that is predominantly stupid and selfish and that if you don’t play by those rules you will lose based on sheer numbers.

I have found it interesting which products I buy that seem to be unpopular. Microwave rice is easy to get hold of despite it being a long-life item. Perhaps the masses associate it with China? I’ve also managed to buy avocados no problem.
    Last edited by Christian; 20th March 2020 at 22:56.

I genuinely think we’ll see proper rationing soon. And that’s probably a good thing.

Civilisation is a thin veneer.

My local pub is now offering groceries from their wholesalers because of these idiots. Great community spirit but shouldn’t be needed!

I'm off to weekly shop tomorrow, I will go early but I bet there will be nothing or I will have to wait in line!
    It is absolute madness and something needs to be done!
    Is this going to go on all YEAR potentially .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    My local pub is now offering groceries from their wholesalers because of these idiots. Great community spirit but shouldn’t be needed!
    In a small town of 11000 people ( last census ) with 7 shops of varying sizes there’s not 1 sheet of bronco to be had, a mate of a mate has been wiping his chad with the local gazette for the past week.

Without being rude I am quite surprised that some folk are surprised, regarding the panic buying bog roll and for some reason, eggs. Perhaps they are hoping to become egg bound and save on the bog roll.

Supermarkets should reserve overnight stock and close at 3pm to reload the shelves for those who can only visit after work. Lidl had most things that are being panic bought at 8:30am yesterday morning (bog paper, hand wash, pasta, baked beans, paracetamol, fresh veg) and were rationing it strictly, but I bet it was all gone by 10am regardless.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Why are people stock piling fresh veg - it'll end up in the recycle bin soon enough??? I bet most of them don't even know how to boil a carrot, or know the difference between a courgette or a cucumber. Madness - it really is.

Save a thought for all those working in PCWorld etc - not all shops are closed (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Mine to (Elite pubs) - along with takeout delivery / collection , beer and wines.

Also some of the local butchers/grocers (if you still have them) are teaming up to provide such food hampers.

Current state of our shops

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Why are people stock piling fresh veg - it'll end up in the recycle bin soon enough??? I bet most of them don't even know how to boil a carrot, or know the difference between a courgette or a cucumber. Madness - it really is.

Save a thought for all those working in PCWorld etc - not all shops are closed (yet).
    Any recipes for onion (Tesco) and melon (M&S)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 21st March 2020 at 00:10.

Craftsman
    As a tight yorkshireman I've always bought more than needed whenever it's been cheap. As a side effect we've always got enough to last probably a good month or so without any deliberate stocking up. That people are worried about not having loaves of bread on demand amazes me. The bog roll is ludicrous, if it really hits the fan stick the shower head on full blast.

People should be avoiding shopping, to that end stockpiling (to a reasonable extent) makes sense.

If you want to be able to shop every other day then social distancing isn't somthing you're that invested in.

All those knobbers living on canned foods will be easy to spot by their scurvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I genuinely think we’ll see proper rationing soon. And that’s probably a good thing.

This. On both counts.

I struggle to understand the whole toilet roll thing, it's not like the squits is a normal symptom of coronavirus. But it's silly, I've been out to the supermarket a couple of times this week (as I normally do, because we only buy for a few days at a time and steadfastly refuse to stockpile) and the shelves are bare. Madness.

We've got enough arsewipe to last for a few more days, so I'm not worrying yet. Hopefully things will stabilise. Failing that, as a last resort we've got literally hundreds of books in the house, and they're just going to have to take one for the team. Tens of thousands of nice thin sheets of paper. I doubt the sort of mouth-breathers who are hoarding at the moment are big readers, so good luck to them trying to wipe their backsides on their smartphones.

Strange times.

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    As a tight yorkshireman I've always bought more than needed whenever it's been cheap. As a side effect we've always got enough to last probably a good month or so without any deliberate stocking up. That people are worried about not having loaves of bread on demand amazes me. The bog roll is ludicrous, if it really hits the fan stick the shower head on full blast.

People should be avoiding shopping, to that end stockpiling (to a reasonable extent) makes sense.

If you want to be able to shop every other day then social distancing isn't somthing you're that invested in.
    You have to shop every other day or so, hows a family of 4 getting enough in their trollies to last a week?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...paper-11952397

I put the panic buying of toilet roll down to the fact that the majority of people are fundamentally controlled by their “inner chimp”, particularly in a situation of uncertainty. They act emotionally and impulsively, without rational thought or consideration. There is no reason to require excess toilet roll but the fear of going without (driven by others buying it because it’s something we can buy that wont go off) drives the impulsiveness to stockpile.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I put the panic buying of toilet roll down to the fact that the majority of people are fundamentally controlled by their “inner chimp”, particularly in a situation of uncertainty. They act emotionally and impulsively, without rational thought or consideration. There is no reason to require excess toilet roll but the fear of going without (driven by others buying it because it’s something we can buy that wont go off) drives the impulsiveness to stockpile.
    Exactly - a couple of days ago a friend (who admittedly is a bit of a lush) put 3 bottles of Cava in her trolley, a few others seeing her doing this came over to see and started putting the same bottles into their trolley..madness..exactly "without rational thought"....

Our local asda receives stock at night time . So most products are available by morning . Morning first hour is only for elderly
    Me and some other friends do shopping at the moment for elderly 80+ or working single women with kids in our community / locality for supply of their food needs on 2 days basis .

Maybe its best to start this in your local area, community so everyone have food on table .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    You have to shop every other day or so, hows a family of 4 getting enough in their trollies to last a week?
    3 of our 5 are only little but still, this must beat weight watchers hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Family of four here, plus a bit of shopping for elderly family - I'm finding small local shops a godsend with reasonable stock levels and not many customers at any one time. You can't do a 'big shop' as quantities are still restricted but I can quickly grab enough for the next few days. Shopping for a week is out of the question.

I've been to most 'big' supermarkets in the past few days to see the differences, anticipating the need to be quick and targeted as this thing spreads. Around here Tesco and Sainsburys were by far the worst for selfish grabby vultures, Aldi and Lidl were very well stocked in the mornings but crowded with people who seemed to have no concept of social distance and checkout queues were long. Asda fell somewhere in-between. Waitrose was fine if you wanted Lindt chocolate, avocados and fresh tulips; I bought a lovely honeydew melon. Actually the bread and vegetables on offer were very good but there were no basic items. Our local Coop is always quiet and will definitely have something that can be rustled up into a decent meal so I can always swing by there and take pot luck.

I've been to countries with a lot less on the shelves.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 21st March 2020 at 01:20.

Banned

I put the panic buying of toilet roll down to the fact that every time someone sneezes ten people around them shit themselves.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

Scary thought.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The toilet roll thing was explained to me as something along the lines of human and animal intuitive behaviour. There’s a psychological connection between disease, dirt, bodily acts and emissions, disgust and wanting to clean to stay safe. So I guess the behaviour is buy bog roll, it helps to keep you clean and therefore safe from what’s happening. Similar to ritual ablutions, dog licking its arse, have you cleaned behind your ears, have you got a clean hanky.

Have no idea whether this is right or wrong, I’m sure one of the forum polymaths will pull me up if it’s twaddle.

Don’t use anything else it blocks the foul water drains. I’m thinking an improvised bidet with the garden hose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Family of four here, plus a bit of shopping for elderly family - I'm finding small local shops a godsend with reasonable stock levels and not many customers at any one time. You can't do a 'big shop' as quantities are still restricted but I can quickly grab enough for the next few days. Shopping for a week is out of the question.

I've been to most 'big' supermarkets in the past few days to see the differences, anticipating the need to be quick and targeted as this thing spreads. Around here Tesco and Sainsburys were by far the worst for selfish grabby vultures, Aldi and Lidl were very well stocked in the mornings but crowded with people who seemed to have no concept of social distance and checkout queues were long. Asda fell somewhere in-between. Waitrose was fine if you wanted Lindt chocolate, avocados and fresh tulips; I bought a lovely honeydew melon. Actually the bread and vegetables on offer were very good but there were no basic items. Our local Coop is always quiet and will definitely have something that can be rustled up into a decent meal so I can always swing by there and take pot luck.

I've been to countries with a lot less on the shelves.
    How many supermarkets have you been to!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Picalilli makers perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    I'm off to weekly shop tomorrow, I will go early but I bet there will be nothing or I will have to wait in line!
    It is absolute madness and something needs to be done!
    Is this going to go on all YEAR potentially .
    Never did weekly shop and certainly won’t work in these circumstances.

We have all the big supermarkets bar Asda and Morrison’s fairly close to us but we usually just walk to the local baker (British Pie Award winner 2020 ), a wonderful butchers & a small Co-op. The Co-op has started to run low on fresh fruit and veg but there’s a decent farm shop a short drive away. The only thing we will run low on soon is loo roll.

That is our usual shopping habit, item for item it probably works out slightly dearer but we find we only buy things we need rather than things the big supermarkets want us to buy, plus we get a little bit of exercise into the bargain.

The wife returned from Lidl this morning, no queue and with everything she wanted. Seems it’s no quite big enough for the dedicated shelf clearers and too much of a walk for everyone else.

She’d been very upset by the state she found Waitrose in last night.

Just returned from shops and was pleasantly surprised, busier than normal and some stuff missing Toilet rolls being 1, but with a little bit more running around to other shops, we got everything need.

Lady at the tills in the local Morrisons said they were queuing half way down the carpark at 7 am this morning ,waiting for the store to open. Very quite when I got there , the good news is they are limiting customers now in most shops .

What’s the toothpaste situation like? Not really too concerned about loo roll but would be worried about running out of toothpaste.

Do the masses worry about brushing their teeth or is it just their arses they get concerned about?

Master
    Went to Aldi this morning and apart from pasta and bog roll pretty much everything was available.
    Fingers crossed things are getting back to normal.

Master
    The shops will get back into a routine, There has been a lot of restrictions lifted over deliveries into supermarkets so they are getting more, the hauliers are dragging all driver and wagons into use. Give it a week and the situation will be a lot better. The problem will start when folk run out of money and can’t shop.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I needed to get a few bits of essentials for us and the elderly in-laws this morning. I drove past Aldi and the queue was unbelievable outside. That’s where I would normally shop but wasn’t prepared to stand in the queue. I drove on to Sainsbury’s and it was dead! I managed to get everything I went in for except Corn Flakes which I got at Tesco local.

The in-laws are a 50 mile round trip from us and I’m driving over midweek and on a weekend to deliver supplies.

We have big Tesco , ASDA, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose all about 10-15 minutes drive away but have found the small local co-op and independent store has most things so we have been using them. We are also trying to support local businesses as much as we can.

Our local pub is run by a Thai family and they are doing takeaway so might treat ourselves to that tomorrow as we now have mother in law AND mum living with us.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    We have big Tesco , ASDA, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose all about 10-15 minutes drive away but have found the small local co-op and independent store has most things so we have been using them. We are also trying to support local businesses as much as we can.

Our local pub is run by a Thai family and they are doing takeaway so might treat ourselves to that tomorrow as we now have mother in law AND mum living with us.

Good luck!

Got 90% of shopping at Sainsbury's yesterday but there were no loo rolls (not a problem), bread, toiletries or tinned stuff (other than soup!), very few biscuits and low frozen foods etc. Bakery was working, but no good to me as I don't have transport to call every day. Lots of other empty shelves that looked like they had not been restocked for days. Can't believe they were all emptied in the morning (could be wrong though!). Not many staff about re-stocking shelves either. Majority of people fannying about wondering what to buy instead of their usuals. As has been said, unstocked shelves are a clear signal for people to stockpile. Poor show by the supermarkets, but the cynic in me thinks panic buying helps boost profits. Supermarkets could, and should, have pulled their fingers out much sooner.

Tesco and NHS employee’s get an hour tomorrow morning before opening time but they are not opening the tills till 10.00 because of the licensing laws, that is going to cause chaos when the stores open fully.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Tesco and NHS employee’s get an hour tomorrow morning before opening time but they are not opening the tills till 10.00 because of the licensing laws, that is going to cause chaos when the stores open fully.
    Why? Some stores already open before 10 for 'browsing'.

Just watched a video taken in one supermarket, (didn't say which), which showed all the beer shelves stripped bare by customers except for one beer - Corona! Boxes of the stuff.

How stupid are people? Don't answer that..............
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I remember a couple of weeks ago on Facebook a few Nuckle draggers showing pictures of half a supermarket they had just bought and boasting how they were going to be fine for the next 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I remember a couple of weeks ago on Facebook a few Nuckle draggers showing pictures of half a supermarket they had just bought and boasting how they were going to be fine for the next 6 months
    Knuckle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Just watched a video taken in one supermarket, (didn't say which), which showed all the beer shelves stripped bare by customers except for one beer - Corona! Boxes of the stuff.

How stupid are people? Don't answer that..............
    I am British and have always been proud of that but here in Spain you can just walk into a shop and get pretty well anything you want. I am watching the news of you lot back home queuing up for half a mile and stripping the shelves bare. This is not the Britain or the British that I remember. Same as the sad Brexit debacle, the Brits just seem to have lot the plot.

ive been shopping at my local market (no probs at all and can get almost everything) , tried local lidl in the week and gave up after just looking in the window as it looked like lord of the flies .

laughing at my pensioner neighbor this morning after he had just been shopping at the local supermarket , he was mad as hell (out of all the things i thought he would say - no toilet roll, milk, bread etc - it turned out they had no beer (panic buying after pubs closure announcement) and he'd been forced to buy 24 cans of cider (the only booze left) - which he didnt usually drink , being the responsible neighbor i told him he better get back and buy up all the acid reflux tabs they had for all the cider .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The toilet roll thing was explained to me as something along the lines of human and animal intuitive behaviour. There’s a psychological connection between disease, dirt, bodily acts and emissions, disgust and wanting to clean to stay safe. So I guess the behaviour is buy bog roll, it helps to keep you clean and therefore safe from what’s happening. Similar to ritual ablutions, dog licking its arse, have you cleaned behind your ears, have you got a clean hanky.

Have no idea whether this is right or wrong, I’m sure one of the forum polymaths will pull me up if it’s twaddle.

Don’t use anything else it blocks the foul water drains. I’m thinking an improvised bidet with the garden hose.

It's apparently to do with a perceived lack of control or knowledge. I.e. what will happen and how long it will last. The governement messages have been fairly woolly as opposed to decisive and commanding. People want to have some sort of control over something. Bog roll is big and stand out in shelves and non-perishable. Then once a certain thing goes there is a cascade effect as more news appears and more things start to vanish. At worst you could probably cover 14 days worth of stuff to cater for any isolation period.

I find it hard to believe that life has deteriorated to the extent where anyone would trust the word of a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I find it hard to believe that life has deteriorated to the extent where anyone would trust the word of a politician.

Master
    The mrs went to our local Sainsbury’s in north Herts and found the place pretty much fully stocked. She did our usual weekly shop. Maybe things are starting to settle a little (sure one data point but fingers are crossed!)

My local tesco was turning people away this morning apparently as it was full. People queuing in their cars back to the main road and the queue of people was just as long. All this was supposed be during the NHS / elderly hour. I'm amazed at the herd mentality displayed by these morons. Yet in town folk are queuing at the correct distance apart etc just seems its a mad free for all in the supermarkets. I really hope it calms down this coming week.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk