closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does This Happen With All Mechanical Watches ?

Journeyman

Does This Happen With All Mechanical Watches ?

Last Christmas, I got my first proper mechanical water - a Stowa Flieger, and I really pleased with it.

Shortly after buying it, at night in bed when it was really quiet my wife and I could hear what sounded like a pump, feint and in the distance.

Thinking my central heating pump was failing I checked that - no not that. For days I searched all over for the source of the noise. What made it hard was it wasn’t continuous, at night we could hear but later in the day when I investigated the next morning it wouldn’t be there.

Eventually, I found the source. At night I take of my watch and put it on my bedside cabinet. It was the vibration of the watch mechanism that was reverberating in the bedside cabinet which was creating the audible sound.

The solution is simple, now I lay my watch on top of a book that is on the bedside cabinet.

I’ve just been reminded of it now at work at my desk. The watch case was touching the desk and there was the pump sound again. Lift my arm and the noise stops instantly.

Wondering if this is a common feature or a peculiarity of Stowas.

Cheers,

Nigel

Not all, no, but I think it's a combination of movement and case design/material/size.

I have a couple of watches that make a noticeable noise (not ticking) when laid on my bedside table - Like you I usually lie those on a book.

'Worst' are 'hummers' (Tuning Fork electronic watches) as I can hear those across the room in my watch box (which sits on a sheet of polystyrene!), but I'm used to it, so it's not a problem.

I guess, too, it depends how good your hearing is...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Definitely the case with my Everest - it’s really quite loud when on my work desk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard complaints from my other half about loud ticking at night. Worst offenders usually are those with hand winding movements - ETA6498 clone and chinese Seagull chronograph. Luckily I have problems with hearing, so it does not bother me at all :)

Two loudest watches I've had were an Everest and an Omega DSOTM. Couldn't wear either in bed.

I could never work out if it was my mind playing tricks or of it was really happening but I swear my U1 got louder as it got closer to midnight then quietened when the date ticked over.

Maybe the mechanism engaging, maybe just my mind but I heard it every time.

The problem was solved by selling the U1 and developing a mild case of insomnia, so no longer an issue.

I have a CW Super Compressor and if I lay it on a cabinet about four foot away from the sofa it’s ticking/reverberations are so loud I have to move it! Weird thing is I have poor hearing and can hear it easily, my wife has no such problems and can’t hear it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've noticed this.

Interestingly my Rolex Explorer II has a definite quietening and then loudening (I definitely just made that word up!) of the movement as it goes through the minute cycle. It has always done this since new. It's not audible when left on a hard surface (per the OP's experience), except if I have it on in bed, and pressed against the memory-foam pillow, which transmits the sound directly into my ear bones! But it's a definitely cyclical noise, over 60 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I've heard complaints from my other half about loud ticking at night. Worst offenders usually are those with hand winding movements - ETA6498 clone and chinese Seagull chronograph. Luckily I have problems with hearing, so it does not bother me at all :)
    I have a Novus (engraved on the back with a 1962 date, so of that era) and it's by far the loudest ticking watch I have.

I can't leave that on the wooden bedside table without a book under it as it really is loud!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I've noticed exactly the same thing (reverberation on the bedside table) with pretty much all of my mechanical watches. Modern or vintage, it doesn't seem to matter although a vintage Tissot chronograph with a valjoux 7734 seems to be particularly loud. I've noticed that it has quite a pronounced "plink plink" noise to it, rather than "tick tick" even when wearing it

Master
    I also have an an Explorer 2 with the aforementioned cyclic increase/decrease in volume when on a hard surface. I often alternate with my Tudor gmt and I never hear that at night wherever placed

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I've noticed this.

Interestingly my Rolex Explorer II has a definite quietening and then loudening (I definitely just made that word up!) of the movement as it goes through the minute cycle. It has always done this since new. It's not audible when left on a hard surface (per the OP's experience), except if I have it on in bed, and pressed against the memory-foam pillow, which transmits the sound directly into my ear bones! But it's a definitely cyclical noise, over 60 seconds.
    It would be be interesting to see what happens to the amplitude and whether it follows a similar cycle, if it does there’s something not quite right. I suggest you get it checked. It may be worth noting whether the seconds hand always stops in the same position when the watch runs down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It would be be interesting to see what happens to the amplitude and whether it follows a similar cycle, if it does there’s something not quite right. I suggest you get it checked. It may be worth noting whether the seconds hand always stops in the same position when the watch runs down.
    I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie since it's done it since new (2011/12 ish I think) and it keeps good time. It's my daily wearer so it never runs down, but I will perhaps do some testing to satisfy my/your curiosity - thanks!

Craftsman
    I have a fabric bowl on the table to stop the annoying noise, some seem worse than others.

Craftsman
    I have the same thing with my Smiths Navigator when in wooden bedside cabinet. A natural resonance at a certain spot.

Not a watch but this Lemania 12hr Timer has a very audible tick! I actually quite like the sound, find it relaxing.