closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nespresso Capsules - Options?

Master

Nespresso Capsules - Options?

As I'm stuck working from home, my supply of coffee capsules is dwindling at a rapid rate.
    Just went to order some more from the Nespresso website & looks to me like they are reducing the options of original style capsules.

I've only ever tried an alternative capsule once a long time ago & really didn't rate it - but are there any other decent options that aren't made by Nespresso out there??

I like some of the Starbucks options available from Sainsbury's.

Only marginally cheaper, but do appear on offer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’m reading the website that it’s the 200 of those single flavour packs that are the last chance to buy, not all the single flavours available below.

Would be outrage if they culled all of those, think it is just a poor design, certainly on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find Grind coffee capsules which can also be purchased from M&S and Sainsbury are very good.

https://grind.co.uk/products/nespressopods

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post

They are made by Nespresso - same packaging just branded Starbucks. Sometimes available 2 for £5. Really nice

The L'OR ones are good and often decent deals direct from them.

Blog Entries
    For one of the nespresso machines at the office I buy these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capsules-Bo...grocery&sr=1-7

and is excellent.

Also use Borbone (but another type of capsules) from Amazon for another machine at the office, which is not Nespresso but lavazza "a modo mio", also excellent.

TK Max often have Nespresso compatible capsules in at excellent prices, way cheaper than the supermarkets, various brands and all the ones we've tried have been excellent.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    They are made by Nespresso - same packaging just branded Starbucks. Sometimes available 2 for £5. Really nice
    The Starbucks capsules look a good option & can be had for £22.40 (80 capsules) on Amazon - so only 28p each as opposed to 36p min. from Nespresso.
    I usually go for the Ristretto (black pods) & Apreggio (purple pods) from Nespresso - which ones of the Starbucks pods would be similar?
    I'm guessing the Espresso Roast & Caffe Verona??

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The L'OR ones are good and often decent deals direct from them.
    We like these

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Ive just finished a box of Café-Pod Superchargers - not bad but boy are they strong (strength 12) - they certainly give you a caffeine hit. Some of their lower strength brews aren't bad either.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Yep we do the Starbucks ones too, very nice. The machine seems to like them too - many of the plastic pods (like the supermarket own brands) seem to have less than ideal results. L’or were also good.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The L'Or ones are good, I usually go for the ristretto (11) or onyx (12). 2 boxes for £5.00. Another option is the ones in Lidl, 2 boxes for just over £3.00 (I think). They're good too and exceptional value.

Craftsman
    I use these from Amazon - 100 Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules Espresso Italia (1. Mixed Pack)

The strong ones are too strong for me and usually get drunk last. I should really decide on a colour and stick with them.

Good value at £18.99 (mixed) or £16.99 (single).

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux View Post
    The L'Or ones are good, I usually go for the ristretto (11) or onyx (12). 2 boxes for £5.00. Another option is the ones in Lidl, 2 boxes for just over £3.00 (I think). They're good too and exceptional value.

Exactly the same, morrisons tend to have them on offer, Tesco had them for 2 quid a box, so bought 10 of them a couple of weeks ago, amazon also do 100s at good prices now and again.

Craftsman
    Of the third party alternatives to the classic style (I.e. smaller) I’d stick with aluminium pods where possible. The L’Or ones are quite enjoyable and I preferred their strongest ones over Nespresso’s own strongest ones.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Master
    Thanks for all the input - plenty of decent options out there to try.
    Think I'll try a few Starbucks ones from Amazon & then move onto some of the other brands after.
    Won't take me too long to get through plenty of options - being stuck trying to work from home with 2 kids in the house!!

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Yep we do the Starbucks ones too, very nice. The machine seems to like them too - many of the plastic pods (like the supermarket own brands) seem to have less than ideal results. L’or were also good.

I had 80 of the Starbucks capsules turn up yesterday from Amazon. I am not sure if my Nespresso machine is particularly finicky, but I find the Starbucks capsules work well in it. Some of the others don't work so well, resulting in a lot of water being deposited in the tray. It's a shame, as I have actually found Aldi's nespresso-compatible capsules to be pretty good taste-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    I use these from Amazon - 100 Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules Espresso Italia (1. Mixed Pack)

The strong ones are too strong for me and usually get drunk last. I should really decide on a colour and stick with them.

Good value at £18.99 (mixed) or £16.99 (single).
    Just ordered 100 now that TK Max has closed its doors.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I had 80 of the Starbucks capsules turn up yesterday from Amazon. I am not sure if my Nespresso machine is particularly finicky, but I find the Starbucks capsules work well in it. Some of the others don't work so well, resulting in a lot of water being deposited in the tray. It's a shame, as I have actually found Aldi's nespresso-compatible capsules to be pretty good taste-wise.
    Agreed, I found the Sainsburys own-brand ones didn't get punctured properly so most of the the water didn't go through the capsule & I've had issues with the Aldi ones as well. The Starbucks ones are good, especially the Colombia Single Origin type. £2.50 a box is my limit though.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Exactly my experience too, and why I also use the Starbucks pods (plus they taste good)

After 9 faultless years use from our Krups machine, We just got a new vertuo machine that uses the bigger capsules.

We got a mega deal in John Lewis. £79 for the migimix machine with 100 capsules and another starter pack with 20 odd capsules in it.

That’s £60 worth of caps and a £125 machine for £79!

We used to always have two of the original style capsules each time so it now works out loads cheaper with the new ones.

I also find it tastes better and seems to make a lot more crema as the capsules gets spun really fast as the water is pumped through.

Just another idea for an option.

The deal is still on their website.

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/home...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like a good crema on my coffee, and the Vertuo machine is excellent.

Naturally, the capsules are only available from Nespresso.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

My favourite are Aldi’s Espresso pods, SB ones are good too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I like a good crema on my coffee, and the Vertuo machine is excellent.

Naturally, the capsules are only available from Nespresso.
    I believe the patent on the originals expired and surprise surprise they managed to come up with a new version...

Illy do some for Nespresso. Aluminium and very nice.

Think Waitrose sell them

Anyone else here drink a lot of decaf? I just spoke to Nespresso customer service about an order that went missing. It seems they are discontinuing most of the decaf capsules, notably the Vivalto Lungo Decaffeinato which is what I use the most, as it's about right for one cup of Americano per capsule.

Fortunately they are still selling Volluto Decaffeinato, which is the other good one. But I'll need to find another source for decent Americano, preferably without doubling the cost by using two capsules per cup. Otherwise I'll have to stick to filter coffee.

Master
    I’ve just purchased some of the new aluminium capsule Cafe Pods. I drink mostly decaf, and the couple I’ve had have been very nice.

I also like the Starbucks branded Decaff Espresso Roast.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Anyone else here drink a lot of decaf? I just spoke to Nespresso customer service about an order that went missing. It seems they are discontinuing most of the decaf capsules, notably the Vivalto Lungo Decaffeinato which is what I use the most, as it's about right for one cup of Americano per capsule.

Fortunately they are still selling Volluto Decaffeinato, which is the other good one. But I'll need to find another source for decent Americano, preferably without doubling the cost by using two capsules per cup. Otherwise I'll have to stick to filter coffee.
    The L'or decaffs are fine - we very rarely buy Nespresso anymore.

Craftsman
    Tried a whole bunch but I keep coming back to L'Or. The capsules work 100% of the time and thy do a nice decaff.

Also worth knowing, Terracycle have a recycling scheme with L'Or. .. I have 18 months worth in a box ready to go to Romford Tesco as my closes pick up place.

Master
    I ended up buying the Starbucks capsules from Amazon, Espresso Roast, Caffé Verona & Pike Place - all pretty good to be honest.
    Not sure I like them more than my favourite Nespresso equivalents, but could just be that they are slightly different & need a bit more milk if making an Americano.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The L'or decaffs are fine - we very rarely buy Nespresso anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    Tried a whole bunch but I keep coming back to L'Or. The capsules work 100% of the time and thy do a nice decaff.
    Thanks both, I'll give those a try if I see them in stock anywhere. They don't seem to do a lungo decaf though, unfortunately.

We use these from Amazon
    Not being any sort of coffee expert they are good for a standard morning brew

Amazon Brand Solimo Nespresso* Compatible Lungo capsules- UTZ certified, 100 capsules (2 x 50) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C6T3D..._jH1JEb4AJXC2D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks both, I'll give those a try if I see them in stock anywhere. They don't seem to do a lungo decaf though, unfortunately.
    I just use them interchangeably for espresso or lungo sizes.. never really noticed any difference between them tbh.

As well as the Starbucks capsules, Tesco also sell Costa branded ones (at about the same price). Both are perfectly drinkable.

Another vote for the new Starbucks ones (the ones in the long Nespresso style box and not the previous ones). I pick these up when on offer to supplement the official ones which are still my favourite. If you set up a monthly subscription with Nespresso you get an extra 10% credit that helps to offset the extra cost a little and can cancel at anytime.

Most of the others are ok in an emergency and I’ve probably tried most of them. Find the plastic capsules don’t work as well and try to avoid those now.

Master
    Starbucks order turned up from Amazon last week and wife is enjoying the 80 decay and I am enjoying my 120 multi variety pack. Thanks for the tip of worked out at .20 pence per capsule. So far no complaints, like the espresso very much.

Craftsman
    I've used these guys for a number of years now
    Great coffee
    Great Price
    www.finecoffeeclub.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    I just use them interchangeably for espresso or lungo sizes.. never really noticed any difference between them tbh.
    I might try that. The Nespresso ones don't generally hold up well to overdrawing. Makes them taste bitter and/or weird tasting. Their lungo capsules have about 40% more coffee than the normal ones and I think the grind size is different too. Might not be the same with other manufacturers.

It seems to vary with the coffee as well. The only non-decaf I drink now is the Master Origin India one (formerly called Indriya). That one really does not like being overdrawn even a tiny bit. Completely ruins it. Others seem to hold up a bit better, but drawing twice as much is usually too much for any of them.

I should note that I don't normally add milk to coffee, so I'm either drinking these as straight espresso or as black Americano (generally with equal parts water added). YMMV a lot more if you add milk, since that tends to offset any extra bitterness.

Apprentice
    Another vote for L’Or here - often on offer with Amazon.

Master
    The Nespresso ones don't generally hold up well to overdrawing. Makes them taste bitter and/or weird tasting. Their lungo capsules have about 40% more coffee than the normal ones and I think the grind size is different too. Might not be the same with other manufacturers ... YMMV a lot more if you add milk, since that tends to offset any extra bitterness.
    Completely agree with this (I also don't add milk to coffee), i.e. I find a lungo made from a [Nespresso] espresso pod or vice versa really doesn't work well.

Craftsman
    I've seen a stainless steel reusable capsule advertised online. Fill with own coffee.

Tried rave and colonna,

For espresso colonna tastes better for me. But if you are doing latte, cappuccino or milky then not much difference.

I had 160 capsules arrive yesterday from colonna, very quick turnaround at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by vertex View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    I've seen a stainless steel reusable capsule advertised online. Fill with own coffee.
    I’ve got some reusable pods, plastic and stainless steel, they’re a bit of a faff to clean out, and you have to experiment with the tamping and ground size, but they do the job.

Mind you, most people have plenty of time to faff at the moment don’t they!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    Of the third party alternatives to the classic style (I.e. smaller) I’d stick with aluminium pods where possible. The L’Or ones are quite enjoyable and I preferred their strongest ones over Nespresso’s own strongest ones.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV
    Aluminium pods are a must, the machine struggles to dispense plastic capsules. The machine at work developed a fault after somebody consistently used plastic capsules.

In additional to the original Nespresso capsules, L’Or and Starbucks are good quality, I would avoid the Lidl and Aldi offerings, I found the coffee to be quite weak and the plastic capsule is a deal breaker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    Aluminium pods are a must, the machine struggles to dispense plastic capsules. The machine at work developed a fault after somebody consistently used plastic capsules.

In additional to the original Nespresso capsules, L’Or and Starbucks are good quality, I would avoid the Lidl and Aldi offerings, I found the coffee to be quite weak and the plastic capsule is a deal breaker.
    I stopped using Cafe Pod capsules for similar reasons, the coffee was good but the plastic capsules hit and miss, used to get at least one fail per box and a lot of waste coffee in the tray.

Now they’ve switched to aluminium ones, I’m a happy bunny!