closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sell your watch before it's value crashes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Title of threads is irrelevant but all we ever talk about is Rolex...like we don’t care about any other brand and nothing else matters
    most other brands in the main Rolex price range fall in value as soon as you walk out of the AD

(I think if such (Rolex) sales are to succeed in the next few months, that will only happen if advertised prices are 20%+ below what they were before CV)

It will get worse every day as fear takes over - there will be no good news anytime soon
    Last edited by BillN; 20th March 2020 at 22:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I would not sell any of my watches (including Rolex) unless I had to. Their current market value is not of the slightest interest to me. I could never understand people buying watches as investments. Doesn't seem much fun to me. Just my opinion though.
    I currently have 2 watches, both popular Rolex models. The first is a hulk bought in 2018 from an AD. It is worn daily and not babied, worn in the gym, lots of scratches etc. Plan to keep forever.

I was able to mentally justify the purchase of the second watch because I knew it would hold its value if I hit hard times. It’s a BLRO and I’d imagine when I bought it from the Wad, it was worth almost double what I paid. I was never really fussed about resale value (above retail) but I think I would feel a bit disappointed if they start selling at say 80% of retail or below. Having said that, I’m fortunate enough not to be close to hard times (as far as I know) so the value is kind of irrelevant.

I don’t think members should be judged if resale was a consideration when they purchased the watch. I bet there are members here that ‘couldn’t care less’ about the value of their expensive watches, but still would only buy pre-owned cars because they want to avoid the deprecation you get from brand new.

Master

Sell your watch before it's value crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    most other brands in the main Rolex price range fall in value as soon as you walk out of the AD

(I think if such (Rolex) sales are to succeed in the next few months, that will only happen if advertised prices are 20%+ below what they were before CV)

It will get worse every day as fear takes over - there will be no good news anytime soon
    My point is that all we ever talk about in tzuk is Rolex, whether positive, negative, prices, models, supply etc. This proves people are obsessed with the brand and its enduring popularity

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    My point is that all we ever talk about in tzuk is Rolex, whether positive, negative, prices, models, supply etc. This proves people are obsessed with the brand and its enduring popularity
    Rolex - they are good watches, and Swatch high end watches are now retailing at similar prices to mid range Rolex SS - the Rolex offering is far more attractive to many and maybe, just maybe they are far better watches

Master

Sell your watch before it's value crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Rolex - they are good watches, and Swatch high end watches are now retailing at similar prices to mid range Rolex SS - the Rolex offering is far more attractive to many and maybe, just maybe they are far better watches
    Better and pricing doesn’t mean much though, even within Rolex, superior modern watches often cheaper than the inferior vintage equivalent.

Just look at the top threads, we obsessively talk only about Rolex. Nobody care much about supposed higher end brands from swatch and whether there might be bargains such as blancpain, breguet etc, they might get cheaper but nobody would notice and would not buy even if they are 60% off rrp.

In good times we obsess over whether to buy a Rolex and would hardly ever consider a breguet, in bad times we still obsess over Rolex and considering a breguet is completely out of the question.
    Last edited by ac11111; 20th March 2020 at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I currently have 2 watches, both popular Rolex models. The first is a hulk bought in 2018 from an AD. It is worn daily and not babied, worn in the gym, lots of scratches etc. Plan to keep forever.

I was able to mentally justify the purchase of the second watch because I knew it would hold its value if I hit hard times. It’s a BLRO and I’d imagine when I bought it from the Wad, it was worth almost double what I paid. I was never really fussed about resale value (above retail) but I think I would feel a bit disappointed if they start selling at say 80% of retail or below. Having said that, I’m fortunate enough not to be close to hard times (as far as I know) so the value is kind of irrelevant.

I don’t think members should be judged if resale was a consideration when they purchased the watch. I bet there are members here that ‘couldn’t care less’ about the value of their expensive watches, but still would only buy pre-owned cars because they want to avoid the deprecation you get from brand new.
    I won't argue but I do disagree.

I notice theres a lot of mention of face-to-face deals with these sports Rolex SC threads. Not in the spirit of isolation is it.

I think that there are no pockets in shrouds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think that my watches are doing better than all the shares I sold 3 weeks ago! Stop this bloody whinging and trying to talk stuff down...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I won't argue but I do disagree.
    Agree to disagree then! I do think there is a difference between the people buying watches as ‘investments’ and obsessing over their value, as opposed to people like me who like the fact that certain brands are more likely to hold their value.

If by the end of 2020 all popular models are available at ADs with discount, I may well try and add a Daytona to the collection as opposed to selling anything!

There are so many Rolex sales threads we might need a new Rolex Sales sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    There are so many Rolex sales threads we might need a new Rolex Sales sub-forum.
    I just wish all the Rolex fanbois would bog off to TRF and leave us alone to talk about more interesting watches
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I just wish all the Rolex fanbois would bog off to TRF and leave us alone to talk about more interesting watches
    Actually the only people who seem to be talking about Rolex are the self proclaimed non fans. They can’t stopping about Rolex no matter what thread it is. This is Atleast the third time you are talking about Rolex today:-)
    Last edited by RAJEN; 21st March 2020 at 16:30.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Times are good - lots of people want to buy a watch, not many selling =strong prices.
    Now poo has hit fan - Lots of people try to liquidate assets, not many buying = soft prices.
    That’s not what’s going to happen, it already has.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Actually the only people who seem to be talking about Rolex are the self proclaimed non fans. They can’t stopping about Rolex no matter what thread it is. This is Atleast the third time you are talking about Rolex today:-)
    So, I need YOUR permission to post on a thread in an open forum? And YOU are the sole arbiter of how many times I can post in a day on threads that either mention, or are about, Rolex? I can't believe that you've actually gone to the trouble of counting up the number of posts I've made on the subject today - it must mean a lot to you for some strange reason.

You know, this place was so much better before all the Rolex fanbois turned up, with all the 'lists', 'got the calls', 'AD's are keeping this that and the other' and the incessant Rolex 'profiteering'!
    Best Regards - Peter

You know, this place was so much better before all the Rolex fanbois turned up, with all the 'lists', 'got the calls', 'AD's are keeping this that and the other' and the incessant Rolex 'profiteering'!
    ^^^^^ This, I've never bought a watch that I had to join a queue for, nor have I bought one as an investment or on credit, they're just wrist baubles after all.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    ^^^^^ This, I've never bought a watch that I had to join a queue for, nor have I bought one as an investment or on credit, they're just wrist baubles after all.
    Not sure I agree here.. they are a work of art. No mater what price they haven’t changed overnight, they are just less desirable right now as I’m sure people have other more important things to think about.

Journeyman
    I thought the same until the economic announcement yesterday.

If 80% of wages will be protected, I would also expect most peoples outgoings will go down considerably during lockdown.

Will be a few chance bargains crop up no doubt, but whether that will be the general trend is anyone’s guess.

Sure, it's only a watch forum, but I find some of the comments within these types of threads to be verging on the distasteful. Of course a few greedy speculators might be found out, but equally some of the sales will have tales of genuine hardship & sadness behind them. It's an inconsequential hobby really, but schadenfreude is unedifying.

For my part, I'm unconcerned. My watches were not bought as assets but because I like them. Though they were admittedly mostly bought with a careful eye to protect as much as possible against losing money - I don't like to waste money. I've seen hardship at close quarters and it's not somewhere I wish to find myself.

That said, even if a few watches do lose value, they'll financially probably still perform quite a bit better in terms of value retention than whatever else I might otherwise have spent the same money on for pure enjoyment purposes.

Craftsman

Disagreement

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    Not sure I agree here.. they are a work of art. No mater what price they haven’t changed overnight, they are just less desirable right now as I’m sure people have other more important things to think about.

I feel that and have heard this probably more so during the past 5 years of the, Work of Art being tagged onto watches. Being an Art collector, the Work of Art tag is something which has been added I feel to create a extra layer of lustre in justifying the prices or just to oneself to what is in general practical engineering on a mass produced level.

There are some quite exquisite movements put together and as a engineering manufacture they have to be admired but watches as a Work of Art, No but as a constructed design of purpose, then Yes.
    Last edited by Flasher; 21st March 2020 at 18:10. Reason: Error

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I feel that and have heard this probably more so during the past 5 years of the, Work of Art being tagged onto to watches. Being an Art collector, the Work of Art tag is something which has been added I feel to create a extra layer of lustre in justifying the prices or just to oneself to what is in general practical engineering on a mass produced level.

There are some quite exquisite movements put together and as a engineering manufacture they have to be admired but watches as a Work of Art, No but as a constructed design of purpose, then Yes.
    It’s just a saying.. I’m basically saying it’s more like a work of art than a wrist bauble ?!

I see watches as marvels of mechanical engineering, that's the main attraction. Some see them as jewellery, some as a status symbol, some as art, etc. Boring if we were all the same.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman

20%

Quote Originally Posted by The Journey View Post
    I thought the same until the economic announcement yesterday.

If 80% of wages will be protected, I would also expect most peoples outgoings will go down considerably during lockdown.

Will be a few chance bargains crop up no doubt, but whether that will be the general trend is anyone’s guess.

Unfortunately for quite a lot of people, Employers will just not have the capital or willing to take up the remaining 20% of the wage bill, especially if income is zero and business rents still need to be paid. Unless people are willing to take the 20% paycut then ten of thousands of people are loosing their jobs over the coming weeks. With personal bills still needing to be paid a 20% paycut for many would hurt. Then add on the fall in profit or losses for finance sectors and they as they always do will quickly let thousands go over the coming months.

Bargains may not be the nicest term to use when many will have to release assets just to keep a roof over them but the market will be impacted by personal circumstances.

Craftsman

Appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    It’s just a saying.. I’m basically saying it’s more like a work of art than a wrist bauble ?!

Completely understand and appreciate were you were coming from on this😊

Blog Entries
    Vacharon Constantine

there I said I!!

Blog Entries
    So, I need YOUR permission to post on a thread in an open forum? And YOU are the sole arbiter of how many times I can post in a day on threads that either mention, or are about, Rolex? I can't believe that you've actually gone to the trouble of counting up the number of posts I've made on the subject today - it must mean a lot to you for some strange reason.

Why don't you start a thread to talk about the "more interesting watches", then us Rolex fanboys can pursue our watch hobby without you and number2 butting in? (bet nobody would post in it though)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why don't you start a thread to talk about the "more interesting watches", then us Rolex fanboys can pursue our watch hobby without you and number2 butting in? (bet nobody would post in it though)
    There are plenty to be fair, and well supported, but they do tend to get swamped by the modern Rolex stuff which is unbelievably soulless and repetitive. It would be nice to hear more about the history, or movements, or design aspects instead of values and waiting lists. I avoid opening those threads but wish that there was a way of simply filtering them so that they don't appear.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    There are plenty to be fair, and well supported, but they do tend to get swamped by the modern Rolex stuff which is unbelievably soulless and repetitive. It would be nice to hear more about the history, or movements, or design aspects instead of values and waiting lists. I avoid opening those threads but wish that there was a way of simply filtering them so that they don't appear.
    Some brands are more popular than others no doubt about that. I normally decide which threads to read from the titles. Some I'm not interested in but other people no doubt are, so I don't mind them being there. All part of life's rich tapestry!

Master
    I see that the local dealer and forum sales are still working, but definitely more watches for sale and Rolex prices for "regular" watches such as SubC and GMTII LN getting closer to the actual RRP's.

I'm not too worried, I didn't go for the hype watches. My watches are for my enjoyment and if the prices go down... well, I'll just wear the watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Bloody hell!! With my body I’d be lucky to get enough for a Mcd’s value cheeseburger.
    I don’t know ... functioning spare kidney has got to be worth something though value is probably affected by The Chinese Communist Party’s ‘murder a falung gong member/Uighur Muslim to order’ policy.

And holders of Rolexes-as-liquid-investments think they have problems.

I should have stockpiled these five years ago -

If I had to choose one that may sink, I think this may be it

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    If the crazy world of watches provides a small distraction from current issues then that’s good. If you overpaid a bit for a watch you like, just keep it, in the long term it’s of no consequence. For those with unstable incomes and a bit too much in assets that are less liquid then they were, then I’m sorry for the stress. For those that speculated on growth forever then if you are going to get out, then do it sooner rather than later, but I think it won’t be that easy
    ^That’s well put.

These sorts of thread give the lie to the idea of watches as investments; whilst I’m sorry for anyone who’s in difficulties as a result, it will be welcome if watches are no longer seen as such.

Master
    It’s a hobby with a bit better value retention perhaps than most other hobbies, in the long term, but the investment tag is mainly there to justify to ourselves and our wives!

I’m not selling my Panerai, the secondary price had already factored in a global disaster from the retail price before I purchased it.

Rolex supply will have gone down especially with the factory shut. Demand will be the driving force and how many people need to sell to pay the mortgage.

I think many people didn’t buy their expensive watch purely as an investment but bought thinking it wasn’t spending money....justifying buying it because they could wear their watch and get 100% of their cash back when necessary. These will be the panic sellers, probably with other debt that needs servicing (big mortgage, interest free credit, car loan)...they couldn’t really afford to buy it rather temporarily own it.

Master
    OP, I do wish you’d change the title of this thread!

Still activity on SC. whilst more watches appear to have been listed, especially Rolex, a fair few have sold in the last 24 hours. I think when people list sensibly and offer a good deal there are still people interested, but I noticed a few heavily over priced listings that have died a death or been withdrawn, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would have bought those watches before all this madness began.

Funilly enough all the crap seems to have disappeared - maybe people can't get out to TKMax

There is still a healthy flow WTBs being listed.

Craftsman

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Rolex supply will have gone down especially with the factory shut. Demand will be the driving force and how many people need to sell to pay the mortgage.

I think many people didn’t buy their expensive watch purely as an investment but bought thinking it wasn’t spending money....justifying buying it because they could wear their watch and get 100% of their cash back when necessary. These will be the panic sellers, probably with other debt that needs servicing (big mortgage, interest free credit, car loan)...they couldn’t really afford to buy it rather temporarily own it.

One of the reasons I heard from people putting their money into watches was that the bank savings rate was poor and no reason to put money into an ISA etc when the return is negligible. At times of difficulty Gold and Cash are always King.
    I have yet to see on the supermarket checkout when you are paying for the last packet of loo roll a facility alongside payment methods of debit card, credit card etc that allows payment by supposed Assets.

I'm putting all my investment funds into How Right Holsterman And Flasher Are because no matter what, come rain or shine, they're always smack on 100%

Craftsman

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm putting all my investment funds into How Right Holsterman And Flasher Are because no matter what, come rain or shine, they're always smack on 100%

Thank you 😁

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    OP, I do wish you’d change the title of this thread!
    What would you suggest...It's too late if you haven't sold your watch as it's value has crashed...

I was noticing a large amount of Rolex watches apperaing on SC and wanted to judge the opinion of the market according to TZ members and not the general public.

As stated i couldn't give a damm if my Rolex or Omega or Citizen etc dropped in value as i bought them to wear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    What would you suggest...It's too late if you haven't sold your watch as it's value has crashed...

I was noticing a large amount of Rolex watches apperaing on SC and wanted to judge the opinion of the market according to TZ members and not the general public.

As stated i couldn't give a damm if my Rolex or Omega or Citizen etc dropped in value as i bought them to wear.
    I’d suggest ‘Buyers market?’ would have done it, or even, ‘Are collectors liquidating?’ Either way, easier to take than, ‘SELL YOUR WATCH RIGHT NOW!!!!!!’ or whatever it is!

It’s a fair question though so I’ll answer it. I’m seeing a stand off between people who’d like to sell for the prices of three months ago and people who’s like to buy for the prices of three months’ time. The same is happening in property, I’ve noticed a couple of local flats going on sale in the last few days for incredibly optimistic prices ‘before it’s too late’, except it‘s already too late.

It’s too soon to see a flood of motivated sellers, but at some point someone will blink. Personally I don’t want to sell the lovely and unique vintage pieces I’ve found over the years, and certainly not for a discount. Recently obtained new Rolex are interchangeable though, they could be bought back later for less so it’s to be expected. And as a previous post pointed out, the man maths doesn’t work so well when they’re a depreciating asset.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 22nd March 2020 at 16:12. Reason: Autocorrect, as usual!

Master
    I have 8 watches, 5 of which are Rolex and I have no intention of ever selling any of them. I bought them because I wanted them, so I hang onto them and this is a practice I apply to nearly everything else I buy. I am still shooting with the same English shotgun that I bought ages ago and even my miroku O/U was bought in the early 1990s. My fowling piece was bought in 1980 and still goes ok so why replace it.

I must admit I cannot understand why anyone buys a watch today and then sells it on, usually at a loss, a few months later. Buy a watch, keep it and if you want another, just go out and buy it.

Master
    With the value of the pound as it is going, just sell your Rolex to the US, and you’ll still get the same number of pounds for it 🙄

On a more selfish note I’ve never bought as an investment so frankly I’m not too concerned what happens to the values in real terms.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I must admit I cannot understand why anyone buys a watch today and then sells it on, usually at a loss, a few months later. Buy a watch, keep it and if you want another, just go out and buy it.
    A shot in the dark, but I imagine it's so!etching along the lines of not liking it as much as you thought, and I don't know, possibly that most people don't have limitless resources.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    A shot in the dark, but I imagine it's so!etching along the lines of not liking it as much as you thought, and I don't know, possibly that most people don't have limitless resources.
    If a WIS buys a watch he does not like, then that is unfortunate. If he keeps making the same mistake then he needs to rethink his approach.

As regards to not having limitless resources, don't have a hobby you can't afford.

Buy a watch, keep it and if you want another, just go out and buy it.
    Bugger! Now I know why I have so many....
    Best Regards - Peter

Blog Entries
    I have 8 watches, 5 of which are Rolex and I have no intention of ever selling any of them. I bought them because I wanted them, so I hang onto them and this is a practice I apply to nearly everything else I buy. I am still shooting with the same English shotgun that I bought ages ago and even my miroku O/U was bought in the early 1990s. My fowling piece was bought in 1980 and still goes ok so why replace it.

Must admit to selling a few watches (and immediately buying more) but generally speaking I do tend to capture things.

Master
    If a WIS buys a watch he does not like, then that is unfortunate. If he keeps making the same mistake then he needs to rethink his approach.

As regards to not having limitless resources, don't have a hobby you can't afford.
    Usual Tosh.
    A lot of people like to flip watches in the same way petrolheads like to switch cars.
    The fact that you don't does not then become the correct default position.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Usual Tosh.
    A lot of people like to flip watches in the same way petrolheads like to switch cars.
    The fact that you don't does not then become the correct default position.
    Yes if they do switch on a regular basis, let's hope they won't come here bemoaning the fact. Lots of WISs rue the day they sold a certain watch and then come and announce they rue the day that they sold another.

You don't need to sell a watch because they are easy to store, a car is a different case altogether.