closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who can service a G-P modular chrono?

Who can service a G-P modular chrono?

I have just bought back one of my old watches - a Girard-Perregaux F1-2000 - which if I recall aright has an in-house G-P base movement (3300 rings a bell?) with a DD chronograph module. Anyway it needs a service (the crown is slightly loose, and as far as I can tell it has never been serviced) - is this a problematic thing to look at? I have no idea what G-P are like about spares etc., and who would be able to do this?

I have a vague recollection that Simon Freese is accredited for G-P. Obviously you'll need to join the queue but it might be worth exploring.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Not sure where you are Tertius, try Blowers in Hull. They had in house for all they sell apparently so give them a call.

Resurrecting this thread as I am really struggling to find anyone to look at this for me. Any further ideas most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Resurrecting this thread as I am really struggling to find anyone to look at this for me. Any further ideas most welcome!
    Did you have no luck with Simon Freese?

As per the previous post, he is GP accredited and also did a great job on my Chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Did you have no luck with Simon Freese?

As per the previous post, he is GP accredited and also did a great job on my Chrono.
    Didn’t respond.

Spoke to Simon a week or so ago now , hes obviously shut and not taking on any work at the mo . He is sometimes in at the shop so try giving him a ring .

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Spoke to Simon a week or so ago now , hes obviously shut and not taking on any work at the mo . He is sometimes in at the shop so try giving him a ring .
    Thanks, likely why. Though if he’s not taking on any work ... though I would have thought watchmaking was something that could perfectly well carry on?

Both watchmaker I use here in Essex are shut .
    This could be due to goverment restrictions on non essential bussines or could be due to there staff being furloghed.
    I agree that it is a very self isolating job but both places have told me NO new work . I think they are probably catching up on there existing work but that is it !

Grand Master
    Most professional repairers have more work than they can handle. Even the enthusiast/hobbyist types like me could work 25hrs/day!

I don’t know anyone who will work on a GP, the problem is getting access to parts. Suggest you contact Brendan (Webwatchmaker), he will probably be happy to take it on.

Personally, I’m aiming to sort a few of my own out over the next few weeks, together with spending time on other hobbies. Spent a busy day fitting a new exhaust to my MGB yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed getting back to car work and using tools I’ve owned for 40 years. If I had more space I’d get back into car restoration, ideally I’d split my time between classic cars and watch work.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Most professional repairers have more work than they can handle. Even the enthusiast/hobbyist types like me could work 25hrs/day!

I don’t know anyone who will work on a GP, the problem is getting access to parts. Suggest you contact Brendan (Webwatchmaker), he will probably be happy to take it on.

Personally, I’m aiming to sort a few of my own out over the next few weeks, together with spending time on other hobbies. Spent a busy day fitting a new exhaust to my MGB yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed getting back to car work and using tools I’ve owned for 40 years. If I had more space I’d get back into car restoration, ideally I’d split my time between classic cars and watch work.
    Thanks, the parts question does seem to be the sticking point.

Brendan was my first try actually as he did a great job on my Zenith, unfortunately he is too busy to take it on.

It’s very frustrating I love this watch - it’s the first time I’ve ever bought back a watch I’ve previously sold - and the day after I get it back the crown comes loose!

I would give Simon a call; he's quite chatty on the phone.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I think this will be your problem at the moment , the watchmakers that are still open and taking on new work will be very busy ! As Walkerweks post ,there was already a shortage , now with some watchmakers shut this situation will be worse !

As Carlton Browne and I posted give him a call , hes a nice bloke ,very helpful .

Grand Master
    Definitely worth having a chat to Simon, if you convince him the job’s a quickie he may be tempted to take it on.

I would expect the one man band repairers to keep working, no reason not to. Cousins are still supplying parts, but those who have parts accounts with manufacturers might struggle, its the big organisations that are closed.

Unfortunately the one-man-band repairers are a dwindling species that may be faced with extinction. Blame the Swiss for restricting parts supply, the manufacturers are hellbent on killing the traditional repair trade.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Thanks, the parts question does seem to be the sticking point.

Brendan was my first try actually as he did a great job on my Zenith, unfortunately he is too busy to take it on.

It’s very frustrating I love this watch - it’s the first time I’ve ever bought back a watch I’ve previously sold - and the day after I get it back the crown comes loose!
    I am sorry Tertius,
    I am being sent watches which would under normal circumstances go back to Switzerland for in-house repair. This is also an opportunity for me to build up essential spare parts from CH, so currently I am having to turn down some local jobs.
    I will let you know as soon as the situation improves.