closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Self Isolation Thread

The Self Isolation Thread

A thread for those of us who are self isolating, to help prevent going stir crazy.

I've developed a slight cough and a headache. No fever though. So following the 111 online questionnaire I'm self isolating for a week.

Most of my work meetings are remote anyway and we're going to a Red Team/Blue Team arrangement for WFH as of Monday so no big impact.

Master
    Work stopped all non essential travel 2 weeks ago for me, so despite no symptoms and the worst thing we had was a 2 year old with an upset tummy we have got loads done.

I have found for work that self isolating has actually been rather efficient, add to that the fact mrs macca has been growing my to do list at a handsome rate there is no way I’ll get bored lol.. especially with kids home

Decided to git the study and make it less of a tip and more of a proper office now I’m staring down the barrel of being home a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently getting Zoom setup and working for the whole of the Senior Management Team and Board. Microsoft Teams is proving to be a bit troublesome at the moment.

Master
    I’m lucky enough to be looking after a control system I can use from home at the moment so it’s not all bad, it’s just when physical engineering presence is needed I can’t go

Master
    Sounds like you have a very important job

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sounds like you have a very important job

Not that important in the grand scheme of things - nobody would die if I didn't do it! I'm just helping out the technical teams as they're snowed under building laptops so that everyone can work from home.

My wife is an expert on this, having spent much of 2016 in isolation with our youngest - basically not leaving a small hospital room with a basic ensuite for weeks on end. She had to do similarly last year but in the more comfortable environment of home with access to the garden.

It's nice to see all of these innovative ways of keeping in touch appearing - she's just been invited to a virtual pilates group that didn't exist when she really needed it in the past. Hopefully one of the legacies of this awful global event will be better support for those who live in isolation day-in day-out.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I'm currently getting Zoom setup and working for the whole of the Senior Management Team and Board. Microsoft Teams is proving to be a bit troublesome at the moment.
    Yes we are having trouble with Teams. Perhaps Microsoft senses a selling opportunity and is driving lots of new users into the platform

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well, as a 60 year old diabetic (type 2) with mild asthma I've finally seen enough in terms of advice to realise that I should be self-isolating; at the very least I need to stay away from shops although i'm sure I'll jump on the bike whilst I'm still able to, and have the odd bimble on some local roads. Not really affected work-wise as i was between projects and all the opportunities I was pursuing ground to a halt a couple of weeks ago.

Happy days. Not.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, as a 60 year old diabetic (type 2) with mild asthma I've finally seen enough in terms of advice to realise that I should be self-isolating; at the very least I need to stay away from shops although i'm sure I'll jump on the bike whilst I'm still able to, and have the odd bimble on some local roads. Not really affected work-wise as i was between projects and all the opportunities I was pursuing ground to a halt a couple of weeks ago.

Happy days. Not.
    It's the right thing to do, for yourself and the NHS. We need more people to act as responsibly as you are to slow this bastard down. We're all in this together. Take care, stay positive.

Lynn and I have both self isolated. It brings a whole new phase to our retirement as were no longer free to go where we want when we want and do what we want. Now enjoyment has to be found within the boundaries of our curtilage!

Mowing the lawn and jet washing the patio, jobs which once got in the way of our freedom, are our new freedom from sitting in the house wondering what to do. Happy days.

A great pity many other people in our situation don't follow suit and carry on as normal putting everyone else at risk!

Stay safe folks, this won't be over quickly.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    curtilage
    Word of the season, I'm going to start using it more

Master
    I can see us being "at home" for months and months

we are in our 70's - if we go out in say 6 months time, there will be no vaccine and we will be in almost the same danger as we are now

so wait until the vaccine is readily available , late next year? - before we can move ......... also is anyone going to go on holiday abroad for maybe a year or two

it really is serious

I spend my life self isolating so it won't make much difference to me!

I was flying to the US next month though and that will have to be put on hold.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Word of the season, I'm going to start using it more
    It doesn't mean the area in the display cabinet immediately around a mechanical calculator...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It doesn't mean the area in the display cabinet immediately around a mechanical calculator...
    I thought it might be the ligaments in the hand most strained by the twisting action of using a mechanical calculator.

I was thinking that it could be a term to describe the state of happy senility that mechanical calculator enthusiasts steadily descend into as they age.

I shall make increasingly bizarre requests of my family and demand that they humour me in my curtilage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I can see us being "at home" for months and months

we are in our 70's - if we go out in say 6 months time, there will be no vaccine and we will be in almost the same danger as we are now

so wait until the vaccine is readily available , late next year? - before we can move ......... also is anyone going to go on holiday abroad for maybe a year or two

it really is serious
    Hopefully things move faster for us all buddy and get over this ASAP

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    Hopefully things move faster for us all buddy and get over this ASAP

I really doubt that ..... just watch the news and actions being taken by the Government each day

how long will Schools be closed for?

Master
    Daughter now back from uni so the 4 of us are now self isolating. My son and I are practising our Rubik’s cube techniques and I have been handed a long list of chores. Yay.

Master
    Pleased to see so many of us being sensible, action packed with issues in my house, we have asthma, auto immune conditions and a heavily pregnant one for company so isolation wasn’t exactly a hard decision

SWMBO has stayed at home for the last week and apart from food shopping I'll now be doing the same. I don't think it'll bother me at all, but I suspect she'll get a bit hacked off with it. Hopefully mild weather will allow some overdue gardening and I've got a stack of diy stuff to be getting on with. Do feel sorry for families with young children though.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

From what I've seen and heard on the news, most people who are self-isolating are packed into supermarkets raiding the shelves with all of the other self-isolators...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    From what I've seen and heard on the news, most people who are self-isolating are packed into supermarkets raiding the shelves with all of the other self-isolators...
    Indeed, having been out in the car to get out the house, drive past Homebase at about 9.30 which was rammed with people buying no doubt self isolation gardening stuff, or have worked out what the next loo roll hoarding will be!

First morning of Day 1 on lockdown for me, the 710 and our pre-school spawn.

If I suddenly disappear from the forum you'll know wifey knifed me whilst asleep.

About to jump on the bike (which I still regard as fair game for an isolater) and scout the surrounding neighbourhood (it's the only thing that stops me worrying about what's going on as riding requires 100% focus). All shopping and related duties now delegated to wifey.