closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beard/stubble trimmers

Beard/stubble trimmers

I have a Babyliss beard trimmer but it's pretty awful, more than once I've had to completely shave and start again after trying to trim my beard. What do you use and recommend?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I use this. Not the best but great for the money.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/remington-...ack/p230421142

Master
    Philips Series 7000 - Bargain price at Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7096378

Wahl dog trimmer.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

For daily maintenance I use a battery powered Gillette 'Styler' unit. It cost me £15 from Sainsburys.

Wahl Pocket Pro.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have Ben trimming for 20 years, I have always had good service from wahl trimmers.

mike

Master
    Wahl Battery approx £15 boots. It's a whizz.

B

I've had a Philips 3000 for years and it still works just fine - even comes with a nose hair trimmer.

Now I'm self isolating I'm going to try it on my head. Don't trust Lynn with the scissors, so No 3 here I come!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I'm yet to find the right one but, so far, the best one I've owned is the Braun 5517 (BT3040). I have a more expensive and advanced Braun model but this is the better one IMO. Had several Philips and wasn't impressed at all.
    Last edited by Kutusov; 18th March 2020 at 16:31.

Master
    I've been using this one for the last 6 months https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The way the guard is arranged takes a bit of getting used to but it does a good job and the edge trimmer 'pop-up' blade is great for getting those errant hairs on your top lip and neatening around the edges.

Master
    Another vote for the Philips - I use it to shave my head too.

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Philips Series 7000 - Bargain price at Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7096378

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Another vote for the Philips - I use it to shave my head too.

maseman
    Great shaver and a bargain at that price.

Wahl are what the barbers use, so I have followed their lead with one in rechargeable flavour and the other mains. It's the one that does your head. If beardscaping is your thing then these would probably be too unwieldy. I just want to look unlike a derelict. I'm too old to be hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Wahl are what the barbers use, so I have followed their lead with one in rechargeable flavour and the other mains. It's the one that does your head. If beardscaping is your thing then these would probably be too unwieldy. I just want to look unlike a derelict. I'm too old to be hip.
    ...that's why I recommended the Wahl Pocket Pro in post #6. It's small, lightweight & has an approx. 30mm blade/cutter.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Wahl dog trimmer.

R
    +1 Archie and I shared ours, I used it more frequently than he did, ie fortnightly for me and every six weeks on his coat, although marked for animal use I couldn't see any difference between ours and my hairdresser sisters human model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I've had a Philips 3000 for years and it still works just fine - even comes with a nose hair trimmer.

Now I'm self isolating I'm going to try it on my head. Don't trust Lynn with the scissors, so No 3 here I come!
    If not shaving my head it's clippers without a guard ie No.0, very short stubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    +1 Archie and I shared ours, I used it more frequently than he did, ie fortnightly for me and every six weeks on his coat, although marked for animal use I couldn't see any difference between ours and my hairdresser sisters human model.
    Got to (belatedly) third this advice - Wahl's professional dog clippers are bloody excellent - HOWEVER - their models designed for human use are CRAP! I paid more for their "Aqua Blade 20 in 1 Multigroomer" than I did for the bloody dog clipper, and it's grossly inferior!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Wahl Battery approx £15 boots. It's a whizz.

B
    Bought a Wahl battery trimmer from Home Bargains last summer £4.99
    brilliant bargain.
    Last edited by number2; 18th March 2020 at 21:04.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It depends what you are wanting as the end product

I have a “stubble beard” and that’s easily achieved with a steady hand with any cheap trimmer as no guard is really needed

If however your beard is longer of you need “a number 4” then guards obvs help so I’d look at Braun

Grand Master
    I have this and brilliant, also great on balls and arse
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I have this and brilliant, also great on balls and arse
    Yup. Philips 7000 here too. The vacuum doesn't collect all of the trimmings, but it is better than nothing. Does a super job on the face and, erm, 'other' bits.

Master
    I’ve tried a few over the years. The one I’ve got now is the Phillips one blade pro. Does a good job all over and Is better than a load I’ve had in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A vote for the Remington MB350L.
    I've had mine for 4 or 5 years and the charge still holds for at least two trims. I do the barnet with it too.

Master
    The Remington Barba is great.

These are good - been using one for the last few years.
    Had a Babylis I Stubble before but much prefer this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ph...S-Lg5VCr4JgaNM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I have a Babyliss beard trimmer but it's pretty awful, more than once I've had to completely shave and start again after trying to trim my beard. What do you use and recommend?

Eddie
    I’ve got this one Eddie & never had any issues (aside from user error). Worked well for me for a couple of years until I went back to a long stubble & use the iTrimmer.

https://www.babyliss.co.uk/super-bea...mer-7897U.html

Which one have you been using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Philips BT 5200/16.

Had a few and this is a great mid price one. 100% recommend.

Master
    Panasonic gb86 best trimmer I have ever tried.
    I had the philips 7000 but the cutter retaining lugs broke twice

Master

Trimmer

I used the Babyliss I stubble for years, but now use Panasonic ER GB42. It’s miles better.

Apprentice
    Tried johnlevis it was pretty good

I have a ton of experience with the Philips like on this website oneblade. The dry shave is surprisingly close and will cut closer then any regular bears trimmer you will find. If you then take the time to wet shave with it you will get a result as close (if not closer) then a foil shaver on your neck and almost as close as a foil shaver on your cheeks and chin.

My example/'scale':
    If blade close is a 1, foil close is a 2, and beard trimmer close is a 3... The Philips oneblade is a 2.5 haha
    Last edited by Nennnde; 19th August 2020 at 06:13.

Another vote for the OneBlade here, echoing the comments above. It’s close enough with no graded guards that you could use it instead of a wet shave - your 5PM shadow might just arrive at 3PM though...

As a trimmer it’s very good too, and being so light and compact it’s very comfortable to use too.

Blog Entries
    One blade works pretty good.

I have a Philishave as well. Last month I replaced the circular blades. I'd only cleaned them over-and-over again in 7 yrs. The new blades make all the difference! Smoother, faster. I can recommend changing to new blades when you're under the impression that it's not as smooth as it used to be.

The Wahl corded clippers I got for home haircuts has been the best beard trimmer I've ever had. Use it once a week on a #1 and don't think I could go back to a little battery powered Babylis. I now use that for the neck line and around the ears now.

Master
    You cannot beat a good pair of scissors. The chances of you taking too much off is high with clippers but with scissors you are just constantly snipping away and the results are always much better, especially for a moustache.

Blog Entries
    Yep…. That keeps my face pubes in check… thumbs up here too

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Wahl dog trimmer.

R
    They are just standard clippers with dog written on it…. My wife trimmed my hair with one of these during lock down (after I had stripped it and put it through my vibrating water bath thingy)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You cannot beat a good pair of scissors. The chances of you taking too much off is high with clippers but with scissors you are just constantly snipping away and the results are always much better, especially for a moustache.
    Just put the right guard on…. How can you get it wrong?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Why would you apply deodorant?
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Scissors alway look better and that is why a lot of customers demand scissors over comb haircuts. It's all about the finish. Also you just snip away gradually away with scissors so you can leave some bits long and some bits shorter. The clippers just cut the same length.

It's like comparing having a shave with either an electric or a straight edge razor, we all know which one gives the better shave.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Why would you apply deodorant?
    😝

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Scissors alway look better and that is why a lot of customers demand scissors over comb haircuts. It's all about the finish. Also you just snip away gradually away with scissors so you can leave some bits long and some bits shorter. The clippers just cut the same length.

It's like comparing having a shave with either an electric or a straight edge razor, we all know which one gives the better shave.
    A very fair point…. I wouldn’t let a barber near the top of fine mane with clippers!