closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Promising News thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Please explain how this guy was posing a greater threat to the general public than someone going shopping
    Because it’s an extra journey/meeting of people which doesn’t fall into the allowed categories.
    Oh he’s just selling a bike, oh he’s just selling a car, oh he’s just viewing a house, oh he’s just taking something to a friends house, oh he’s just popping next door to borrow the lawnmower, oh he’s just..............
    What lockdown.....?

Not at all. there is no meeting anyone apart from the idiots that stepped in and broke the rules. The guy was fishing, probably for food.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Not at all. there is no meeting anyone apart from the idiots that stepped in and broke the rules. The guy was fishing, probably for food.
    What if he drove there? Had an accident on the way? Had to go to hospital?

What about the closed season?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...-rivers-starts

The taking of fish for food is subject to rules.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national...ine#when-where
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Thought this was a promising news thread?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That’s a lot of what ifs when he is actually going for food in a way that allows much better social distanciation than going to a shop. And no fishing rule breaking was mentioned. But even if that was the case, it doesn’t entitle those mouth breathers to step in and destroy his gear.

The COVID-19 Promising News thread

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    2 acts of frustration witnessed in Kingston today. First was an eastern European chap insisting on fishing on the Thames. Passers by having none of it and his gear in the river.

2nd is a chap in our development insistent on riding his Ducati motorbike every day for no reason other than just riding it. Repeated complaints (it is a loud bike and he shouldn't be riding it for no reason) ignored - bike found itself deposited in one of the communal skips this PM!
    Oh my the bike was loud - oh dear me. Can someone explain how riding a motorbike outdoors poses a risk (unless he crashes it and needs attention). And while your at it you can then explain how a few closely huddled together lifting a motorbike into a skip ISNT a risk. Moronic comments.

Did he break the rules ? Perhaps he did. Does he deserve his several ‘000£ bike thrown in a skip causing criminal damage ? Absolutely not. It seems you share a street with knuckle draggers who thought this was the right way to handle things. Nice area . We have a hotline to the police for such things.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 31st March 2020 at 07:42.

That’s a lot of what ifs when he is actually going for food in a way that allows much better social distanciation than going to a shop. And no fishing rule breaking was mentioned.
    OK, I'll mention it. If he was fishing in the Thames after March 15th (during the closed season) he's breaking the rules, risking a criminal conviction and a £50k fine.

But even if that was the case, it doesn’t entitle those mouth breathers to step in and destroy his gear.
    I don't think anyone's said they were entitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Oh my the bike was loud - oh dear me. Can someone explain how riding a motorbike outdoors poses a risk. And while your at it you can then explain how a few closely huddled together lifting a motorbike into a skip ISNT a risk. Moronic comments.
    I'll bet there was a bit of argy-bargy with plenty of caontact, coughing and spluttering while the angler had his gear chucked in the Thames too.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I don't think anyone's said they were entitled to.
    It was posted as a good news...

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I'll bet there was a bit of argy-bargy with plenty of caontact, coughing and spluttering while the angler had his gear chucked in the Thames too.
    Correct. I have no idea why this was posted as good news. Maybe the positivity got a bit too much

It was posted as a good news...
    No, it was posted as an 'act of frustration' witnessed.
    Why Ryan posted it in the Promising News thread only he knows, possibly thought it was one of the other CV-19 threads?

Anyway - I was already out of this discussion yesterday so I'm out again today.

Can we have some promising news please?

Blog Entries
    That’s a lot of what ifs when he is actually going for food in a way that allows much better social distanciation than going to a shop. And no fishing rule breaking was mentioned. But even if that was the case, it doesn’t entitle those mouth breathers to step in and destroy his gear.
    You’re right, I’m not excusing their actions at all, although fishing in the close season could lead to confiscation of tackle and a fine.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 31st March 2020 at 08:14.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Which job on the front line do you think a person his age with little training would be able to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I'm pretty sure that, even with his total lack of any training, he could quickly be taught how to wield a brush or a mop with disinfectant - I'm sure these rolls are needed in our hospitals right now ook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Didn't think it would be long before the banal comments would be forthcoming 若
    Nothing banal about my comment at all Rod. Take a look at what our then Heir Apparent did during WWII.

What she did, at a time of grave national troubles, wasn't just a practical job; it sent a message out to the whole country. There's no reason Charles can't do something practical to send out a similar message at this very difficult time.

It's called setting an example.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I’m in the high risk category also so am in isolation with her indoors.
    Otherwise I would certainly be willing.
    Then we are in the same boat Ian. Stay in, stay safe.
    Best Regards - Peter

Nothing banal about my comment at all Rod. Take a look at what our then Heir Apparent did during WWII.

What she did, at a time of grave national troubles, wasn't just a practical job; it sent a message out to the whole country. There's no reason Charles can't do something practical to send out a similar message at this very difficult time.

Do you think that having the future King cleaning floors or refilling bog rolls in a hospital (or anywhere) at the moment, would be a good thing, especially when surrounded by his Royal Protection Squad and no doubt representatives of our wonderful media. Just what a hospital needs! Not.

The best thing he can do at the moment is to sure he is seen to be complying with NHS recommendations. This is setting an example.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Do you think that having the future King cleaning floors or refilling bog rolls in a hospital (or anywhere) at the moment, would be a good thing, especially when surrounded by his Royal Protection Squad and no doubt representatives of our wonderful media. Just what a hospital needs! Not.

The best thing he can do at the moment is to sure he is seen to be complying with NHS recommendations. This is setting an example.
    Future king?

Blog Entries
    Then we are in the same boat Ian. Stay in, stay safe.
    Thanks we’ll try.
    We don’t agree on much but I really do hope you can do the same.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Promising News! - I have a chance of handing back my lease car without getting stung for excess mileage charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Thought this was a promising news thread?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    It was supposed to be.
    But, like many many threads , willy waving, final words and petty arguments trump the original core topic .

Master
    Good news - My sons partner was done for speeding and elected to do the speed awareness course, they can’t run it so she has been let off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

It was anecdotal Andy. There is much that he could 'visibly' be seen to do, just as Princess Elizabeth did in WWII. If you can't see that, well.............. thank goodness this isn't the Bear Pit!

Oh, and as he's had it he's supposedly immune and can go out and do things, he no longer needs to self isolate. Even the NHS are more than happy for nurses etc who have had Covid 19 to return to work - keep up Andy!
    Best Regards - Peter

Back to good news. Well maybe not good news, but cause to question whether the news is as bad as we might think...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...ar-as-we-think

New breathing aids that were designed and built in under a week as part of a collaboration between engineers and doctors at University College London and Mercedes Formula One have been delivered to several London hospitals for clinical trials.

The device can deliver oxygen to the lungs without the need for a ventilator and will help keep covid-19 patients out of intensive care.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-19-patients
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Good news - My sons partner was done for speeding and elected to do the speed awareness course, they can’t run it so she has been let off.
    Do they still have to pay??..... that’ll upset the revenue collectors if they’re missing out on the cash🤪🤪

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Do they still have to pay??..... that’ll upset the revenue collectors if they’re missing out on the cash浪浪
    No, from what my son was saying it’s just been written off, I know when I did mine I had to pay £80 for the course.

I’m guessing if you can’t attend the course then the company doesn’t need paying as its not a fine but a course fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    New breathing aids that were designed and built in under a week as part of a collaboration between engineers and doctors at University College London and Mercedes Formula One have been delivered to several London hospitals for clinical trials.

The device can deliver oxygen to the lungs without the need for a ventilator and will help keep covid-19 patients out of intensive care.

Now that's what I call great news.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

That’s is good news providing she learnt her lesson.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    I feel like crap- bad times.
    None of the symptoms match the COVID guidance- good news!

This is the only COVID thread I read, thanks to those keeping it positive

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I feel like crap- bad times.
    None of the symptoms match the COVID guidance- good news!

This is the only COVID thread I read, thanks to those keeping it positive
    Plenty of other bugs going around and I think it’s only natural to think the worst, I must have had it 3 times in the last few weeks, chin up the chances are you’ll be fine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Plenty of other bugs going around and I think it’s only natural to think the worst, I must have had it 3 times in the last few weeks, chin up the chances are you’ll be fine.
    Fingers crossed- the toads (kids) have both been snotty of late and my trips out have been limited to dog walks and occasional shop runs with precautionary measures being observed (distance, wiping down trolley, surgical gloves, no face touching and antibacterial gel once gloves are off).
    Im classified as high risk (diabetic) but usually don’t pick up the bugs off the toads who frequently bring stuff home from school.
    Time for a large warm Courvoisier with honey before bed

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Back to good news. Well maybe not good news, but cause to question whether the news is as bad as we might think...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...ar-as-we-think
    Quoting this because the article is excellent & thought-provoking.

Another article in the Spectator points out that Iceland has tested a much higher percentage of their population than any other country - out of 360,000 people, 10,300 have been tested, with 1,135 positives. This is one of the highest infection rates (1 in 357) in the world. But only 2 persons have died (BBC, 31st March). And 50% of those who tested positive have been shown to be totally lacking in any symptoms at all. 40 variants of the virus have been found, meaning it is possibly more contagious than first thought but also possibly less dangerous too.

Great idea for a thread. Mental health is very important in these times. Let’s keep it positive on this thread at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post

Another article in the Spectator points out that Iceland has tested a much higher percentage of their population than any other country - out of 360,000 people, 10,300 have been tested, with 1,135 positives. This is one of the highest infection rates (1 in 357) in the world. But only 2 persons have died (BBC, 31st March). And 50% of those who tested positive have been shown to be totally lacking in any symptoms at all. 40 variants of the virus have been found, meaning it is possibly more contagious than first thought but also possibly less dangerous too.

Great idea for a thread. Mental health is very important in these times. Let’s keep it positive on this thread at least.
    "As the WHO’s assistant director-general Bruce Aylward told New Scientist last week, the countries that are best able to control outbreaks of the virus are those extensively testing people who might be infected, isolating them away from their friends and relatives, and tracing who they have been in contact with."

https://www.newscientist.com/article...#ixzz6IIluIv6d

Promising news that UK testing should be ramping up considerably in April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post

That is 2.8% of their population, which is a bit less than the 2.9% which have been tested in Luxembourg - so definetely not 'a much higher percentage than any other country'.

To complete the comparison, in Luxembourg there were 2,178 positives (12.4% vs 11% in Iceland) and 23 deaths (vs 2 in Iceland). Given the more than 200,000 people who commute daily into Luxembourg (about half of which come from the French corona-hotspot Alsace) and the intensive business travel to all other European and Asian hotspots out of Luxembourg (amongst it the busiest Chinese/European air-cargo connection with direct flights to Wuhan), one would have expected a much higher case-ratio in Luxembourg versus the shielded island of Iceland?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Good news and things like this can only help.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    That is 2.8% of their population, which is a bit less than the 2.9% which have been tested in Luxembourg - so definetely not 'a much higher percentage than any other country'.

To complete the comparison, in Luxembourg there were 2,178 positives (12.4% vs 11% in Iceland) and 23 deaths (vs 2 in Iceland). Given the more than 200,000 people who commute daily into Luxembourg (about half of which come from the French corona-hotspot Alsace) and the intensive business travel to all other European and Asian hotspots out of Luxembourg (amongst it the busiest Chinese/European air-cargo connection with direct flights to Wuhan), one would have expected a much higher case-ratio in Luxembourg versus the shielded island of Iceland?
    You would, assuming the testing has been carried out on the same basis...i.e completely randomly. I'm not sure we can assume this though. Different countries appear to be testing in completely different ways so it's mot possible to compare. The 23 versus 2 deaths would suggest incidence in Luxembourg IS much higher and the apparent difference in incidence is down to different testing protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    You would, assuming the testing has been carried out on the same basis...i.e completely randomly. I'm not sure we can assume this though. Different countries appear to be testing in completely different ways so it's mot possible to compare. The 23 versus 2 deaths would suggest incidence in Luxembourg IS much higher and the apparent difference in incidence is down to different testing protocols.
    Valid point, but doesn't change the fact that the Spectator article claims total bullshit about 'a much higher percentage of their population than any other country'.

Luxembourg is now further stepping up the testing: anyone with any kind of symptoms is now eligible for testing.

https://luxtimes.lu/luxembourg/40277...-business-help

Celebrities are doing their best to help bless 'em

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/ar...s-coronavirus/

The UK, France and Germany are bypassing US sanctions to send medical relief to Iran. IMHO absolutely the right thing to do.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...Aohhif5LCY7ako

Master
    Coming out the other side now been in solitary isolation for a while. Stinging eyes, dry cough, light headed and breathless feel 200 % better today
    Hope I have had it all symptoms nearly gone.
    Been hard not seeing my wife and kids.
    So should be good too go home on Sunday that’s 11 days since it began. I was very worried on a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Celebrities are doing their best to help bless 'em

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/ar...s-coronavirus/
    Chuckle, brilliant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    Coming out the other side now been in solitary isolation for a while. Stinging eyes, dry cough, light headed and breathless feel 200 % better today
    Hope I have had it all symptoms nearly gone.
    Been hard not seeing my wife and kids.
    So should be good too go home on Sunday that’s 11 days since it began. I was very worried on a couple of days.
    Good to hear, glad you’re feeling better.

Where did you lock yourself away as a matter of interest?

Master
    We have a static on the end of the dales. I stocked it last month just in case as youngest has asthma and I was still working in the food industry.
    For the last 2 month I have been higher strength vitamin c and multi vitamin every I honestly think this has helped.

Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    We have a static on the end of the dales. I stocked it last month just in case as youngest has asthma and I was still working in the food industry.
    For the last 2 month I have been higher strength vitamin c and multi vitamin every I honestly think this has helped.
    Sheesh fella, good to hear you are out the other side. I hope that whatever you had, and it does sound like COVID-19, has now gone and you get back to full strength quickly. Have you notified anyone? I downloaded an app at the outset of the lockdown and have used it to self report every day, all in the interests of helping the authorities see just how far this thing has spread before the testing regime is bumped up.

The UK, France and Germany are bypassing US sanctions to send medical relief to Iran. IMHO absolutely the right thing to do.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...Aohhif5LCY7ako
    This is fantastic to see, bugger Trump's phoney war with Iran and the lives it must be costing during this crisis.

Craftsman
    https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/...650024448?s=20

Prof Sikora - v distinguished medic, posts quite a lot of reasonable, positive angles on the pandemic. Worth a read to cheer yourselves up a little.

A colleague has set up a fundraiser, with people donating their commuting costs. Proceeds going to scope and red cross, nothing too major but a bit of good amongst the doom and gloom

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Well this is potentially huge

https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=511

A private investor paid for an entire Colorado town to have serological tests for COVID antibodies. The town had recorded zero COVID cases. Tests came back saying that 1% of the town had definite COVID antibodies (meaning they had recovered from the virus) and up to another 2% had indeterminate results but where there was a decent likelihood of them having had COVID. Why is this significant?

Well firstly it indicates that all cases were either asymptomatic or mild enough not to require hospital treatment and a COVID diagnosis. That's point 1. Point 2 is that if a small town in Hicksville Colorado has between 1 and 3% of its population as recovered infections then it isn't a stretch of the imagination to imagine that New York may have 10 or 20% of the population infected meaning that R0 infectiousness figure is high but that Infection Fatality Rate is lower than thought. For example if we take that lower bound of 10% of New Yorkers infected (so around 800k) and we know that 1,900 have died and that of those currently infected double that number are deaths-in-waiting then we get around 6k deaths from 800k infected so around 0.75% Infection Fatality Rate which is of course several orders of magnitude higher than flu but not anywhere as high as some figures being bandied about. In all likelihood though the Colorado study would indicate that New York infections would be higher than 10% bringing IFR down further. This is obviously serious as the infectiousness may be much higher than thought and will swamp health care systems however the positive would be again if this is an indicator that certain cities may be closer to herd immunity than originally thought.

More research of course required but this was interesting based on the first serological study done.

Well this is potentially huge

https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=511

A private investor paid for an entire Colorado town to have serological tests for COVID antibodies. The town had recorded zero COVID cases. Tests came back saying that 1% of the town had definite COVID antibodies (meaning they had recovered from the virus) and up to another 2% had indeterminate results but where there was a decent likelihood of them having had COVID. Why is this significant?

Well firstly it indicates that all cases were either asymptomatic or mild enough not to require hospital treatment and a COVID diagnosis. That's point 1. Point 2 is that if a small town in Hicksville Colorado has between 1 and 3% of its population as recovered infections then it isn't a stretch of the imagination to imagine that New York may have 10 or 20% of the population infected meaning that R0 infectiousness figure is high but that Infection Fatality Rate is lower than thought. For example if we take that lower bound of 10% of New Yorkers infected (so around 800k) and we know that 1,900 have died and that of those currently infected double that number are deaths-in-waiting then we get around 6k deaths from 800k infected so around 0.75% Infection Fatality Rate which is of course several orders of magnitude higher than flu but not anywhere as high as some figures being bandied about. In all likelihood though the Colorado study would indicate that New York infections would be higher than 10% bringing IFR down further. This is obviously serious as the infectiousness may be much higher than thought and will swamp health care systems however the positive would be again if this is an indicator that certain cities may be closer to herd immunity than originally thought.

More research of course required but this was interesting based on the first serological study done.
    What a nonsense.

The county has not tested the entire population but 645 first responders, healthcare providers and their families so far and as of yesterday afternoon there were seven positive COVID-19 test results and less than 2% have antibodies. It's all in the linked article.

Can I ask you were you have taken the conclusions from as they are certainly not from the website?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.