Thread: The COVID-19 Promising News thread

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I’ll wait until others more vulnerable than me get it
    I’ll be using that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I’ll be using that one too.
    Scared of vaccines?

Grand Master
    A vaccine will stop you being symptomatic with Covid it may not stop you getting it and it may not stop you from passing it on to people so the vaccine isn’t actually the cure it is one of the measures which will assist in getting it under control. The real winner is in track and trace the ability to test people on the spot in every scenario not just a clinical one so that includes entering retail premises and pubs and clubs and supermarkets and being able to identify those who are positive within a couple of minutes that layer will be significant in reducing the R rate and driving down the risk to the NHS. A lot of misinformation here Covid Killing you isn’t the true issue although it is a very serious one Covid patience overwhelming the NHS is and with a good track and trace system plus the vaccine things should be well and truly under control as we enter into next year
    RIAC

Looks like the tech stocks are bouncing back

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    A vaccine will stop you being symptomatic with Covid it may not stop you getting it and it may not stop you from passing it on to people so the vaccine isn’t actually the cure it is one of the measures which will assist in getting it under control. The real winner is in track and trace the ability to test people on the spot in every scenario not just a clinical one so that includes entering retail premises and pubs and clubs and supermarkets and being able to identify those who are positive within a couple of minutes that layer will be significant in reducing the R rate and driving down the risk to the NHS. A lot of misinformation here Covid Killing you isn’t the true issue although it is a very serious one Covid patience overwhelming the NHS is and with a good track and trace system plus the vaccine things should be well and truly under control as we enter into next year
    If a vaccine is 90% effective it will reduce the number of people who have the virus making track and trace much easier.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If a vaccine is 90% effective it will reduce the number of people who have the virus making track and trace much easier.
    Not quite. It may stop you getting it or symptoms which means you may not chose a test (which is why mass testing is a very positive move) but doesn’t necessarily mean you wont be a carrier of it and have the potential to spread. Thats the unknown.

Regardless there are now some extremely positive measure in place. The main aim of the vaccine will be to keep as many NHS workers and key workers active as possible and also to reduce the amount of people who would become a burden on the NHS. The mast testing is designed to drive down the R rate and complement the vaccination program
    RIAC

Moderna vaccine joins the 90%+ club
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54902908

Blog Entries
    Thats at least two vaccines that appear to have a good success rate. Good news indeed.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    If you've had the vaccine will you then test positive?

Gov.uk link...Preparing for winter: vitamin D.

To me this seems like an inadequate half-measure...too little, too late.

Scotland wrote offering the same target audience tablets for 10 μg a day a month ago. HMG has today announced the same for England. In the press release it says "The government is taking action to ensure vulnerable individuals can access a free supply to last them through the darker winter months". It's November...the darker months are here and now, not when they've sent letters and got replies. If the vulnerable are Vitamin D deficient it will take more than this to put it right. And the announcement says:

Evidence of the link of vitamin D to COVID-19 is still being researched with larger scale trials needed. In the meantime, the Secretary of State has asked the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and Public Health England (PHE) to re-review the existing evidence. The government will publish its findings towards the end of the year.

As I've read the reporting higher levels of vitamin D, not merely the base level required for bone health, may help people fight all sorts of infections, not just Covid. This may or may not be the case but there have been several reports that suggest that it is. Vitamin D is cheap enough so why not up the dose they're providing? Surely it would be worth it given that they're going to the expense of writing out about, administering and delivering this scheme.

Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine approved for UK use by the MHRA.

I'd call that promising news.

https://apple.news/AAkwXLPhKS2mNX0uR992BTQ

Within a week. We seem to be entering an interesting phase of things now. I do hope it goes well.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    https://apple.news/AAkwXLPhKS2mNX0uR992BTQ

Within a week. We seem to be entering an interesting phase of things now. I do hope it goes well.
    Well I never. The last 4 weeks preparation now public!!. There is still quite a logistic challenge involved and vaccine prevents you getting the symptoms of it not necessarily having or passing it on so not quite out the woods.

What it will do is ensure that you have the maximum amount of capability at front line and also that you reduce the potential burden on the NHS which fundamentally is what the virus has always been about as a danger.
    RIAC