closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Promising News thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I got two grand children who are now on 80% of a job as part of their uni training. They can stay on this until September. They are staying my my house in the UK rent free and are now actually saving money as they can't go out to spend it. They communicate on social media, so they are ok.

I have a son who works from home in IT and he is loving being home all the time with a new born baby. He has no more commuting and it looks like there will be more home working when all this is over. So he is one happy bunny.

Another son is also now working from home and he has managed to re decorate the kitchen so he is well happy.

It looks like I am trapped in Spain with all its sunshine and I will soon be using the pool. Also we face time a lot of the time so we know what's going on. Sitting on my bum is no big hardship

This being confined to home really is no deal deal and the people who moan about it should just need to grow up. The main thing is to take no risks and stay indoors. Forget about walking the dog or riding a bike, the NHS is more important than the pleasure seeking activities of a few selfish people.
    So it's going to be okay for you to enjoy the sunshine and use the pool Mick but you want others to stay indoors.
    Seems fair.

Master
    Yes I am lucky but if I was back in the UK I would still be saying the same thing. The restrictions are a lot more draconian over here and lots of the Spanish live in flats without gardens but they still support the lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    A wake up call and an opportunity to continue the heal once normality resumes - maybe unrealistic but we can hope
    And how nice that would be - but, alas, I don't see it happening. China is ramping up again, as will others (including good ol US of A) as soon as possible, and pollution will continue unabated. All IMHO.

. It looks like I am trapped in Spain with all its sunshine and I will soon be using the pool. ... Forget about walking the dog or riding a bike, the NHS is more important than the pleasure seeking activities of a few selfish people.
    Sun and pool sounds idyllic - enjoy your good fortune! Not easy to forget about dog walking when you own a dog - dog walkers are not the problem, it's the rest of the idiots bending the outdoor rules.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    And how nice that would be - but, alas, I don't see it happening. China is ramping up again, as will others (including good ol US of A) as soon as possible, and pollution will continue unabated. All IMHO.

Sun and pool sounds idyllic - enjoy your good fortune! Not easy to forget about dog walking when you own a dog - dog walkers are not the problem, it's the rest of the idiots bending the outdoor rules.
    Dog walkers and cyclists along with any other idiots sunbathing or wanting to pop down to a local beauty spot are the problem. You can argue until the cows come home on whether it spreads the virus or not, the main thing is that if a draconian lockdown saves only 100 people dying an unpleasant and needless death, then it is worth it.

Dog walkers and cyclists along with any other idiots sunbathing or wanting to pop down to a local beauty spot are the problem. You can argue until the cows come home on whether it spreads the virus or not, the main thing is that if a draconian lockdown saves only 100 people dying an unpleasant and needless death, then it is worth it.
    You're lumping a lot of things together there. What's your solution for the dogs...toilet training, nappies, euthanasia? I don't have a dog, by the way, but interested to know how you'd deal with it.

Keep it on track people - it’s the positive news thread

Got confirmation that I’m not going to receive a penny due to being over the 50k and being self employed. However since it’s the promising news thread, here’s a thought for you...

This is the first time in living memory that the earth has had a chance to heal itself - vastly reduced carbon emissions, pollution in cities at record lows, bird song louder and more prevalent. A wake up call and an opportunity to continue the heal once normality resumes - maybe unrealistic but we can hope
    An admirable sentiment, but you are doomed to disappointment I fear. When this crisis is over it'll be business as usual. "Where there's muck there's money", as they say. The pigs will be back at the trough.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Exactly, we don’t need another thread lecturing others again on what they should be doing when they know nothing of their personal circumstances.

Anyway, promising news, looks like the weather this Easter Weekend looking less warm for most. Fewer people tempted to congregate at honey pots...

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    An admirable sentiment, but you are doomed to disappointment I fear. When this crisis is over it'll be business as usual. "Where there's muck there's money", as they say. The pigs will be back at the trough.
    I’m not so sure. I think a lot of companies will realize they can actually work from home - might allow them to reduce premises size etc. we might see a bit less congestion on the roads going forward. Hey call me a glass half full kind of guy lol

I’m not so sure. I think a lot of companies will realize they can actually work from home - might allow them to reduce premises size etc. we might see a bit less congestion on the roads going forward. Hey call me a glass half full kind of guy lol
    I too, am for the moment, maintaining a sense of cautious optimism as regards the possibility of there being some positive outcomes when the dust finally settles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Exactly, we don’t need another thread lecturing others again on what they should be doing when they know nothing of their personal circumstances.

Anyway, promising news, looks like the weather this Easter Weekend looking less warm for most. Fewer people tempted to congregate at honey pots...
    Yes I can see where you are coming from but sitting here in Spain where its a €600 fine for just stepping out of your front gate, it does seem that the UK is being a bit slack in trying to tackle the problem and it is, in all fairness, a breeding ground for barrack room lawyers to argue the toss on what is ok or not.

Much better to have a clear cut set of rules which incidentally has massive support from nearly everyone. I think anyone taking their dog for a walk in Spain is either very brave or stupid. They can expect people to come out on their balconies and shout at them accusing them of being selfish and reminding them that their actions will not be forgotten.

Anyone think it might cause government to consider whether spending £200 Billion+ to get even more people into an overly-congested capital city quicker, might not be such a good idea after all?

Master
    Yes I can see where you are coming from but sitting here in Spain where its a €600 fine for just stepping out of your front gate, it does seem that the UK is being a bit slack in trying to tackle the problem and it is, in all fairness, a breeding ground for barrack room lawyers to argue the toss on what is ok or not.

Much better to have a clear cut set of rules which incidentally has massive support from nearly everyone. I think anyone taking their dog for a walk in Spain is either very brave or stupid. They can expect people to come out on their balconies and shout at them accusing them of being selfish and reminding them that their actions will not be forgotten.
    Whilst I hope that our Government is looking at what is happening in Spain and elsewhere and taking whatever learning can come out of it, the rules/laws in the U.K. are different. But I also recognise yours and others views on them.

Berating people for adhering to those rules is neither necessary nor helpful, and just breeds bad feeling.

The goodwill between most on here has already evaporated enough.

To try and get this back on track with the thread title.

Mercedes F1 produced 600 CPAP machines yesterday and should be up to 1,000 today and should be delivering to
    the NHS this week.

Master
    Tesla ventilator made entirely from Model 3 parts.

https://youtu.be/zZbDg24dfN0

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Travis Perkins branches countrywide have collected every single pair of gloves, respirators and ffp3 masks and delivered them to their local hospitals.

Master
    My conservatory is in the process of having a new valley gutter. The lockdown and good weather has allowed me to strip out the old (rotted) gutter and rebuild it properly, with suitable damp proof courses and flashings that will not allow water to run (capillary attraction) into the conservatory but outside! I have spent several days head scratching, repointing and sealing before realising that water can flow uphill if conditions are right! I also won't be replacing the fibreglass insulation which was dripping wet! It's a conservatory, not a bedroom. The tell-tale white fur on the outside wall should have told me of the problem! Stepped damp course, proper lead joint seals and a bit of fall will do the job nicely thank you. Happy days!

On Sunday, whilst roasting a chicken, the “fan element” in our cooker blew. Sunday night I removed said element and ordered a new one on line, for the massive sum of £12.50. The replacement arrived today and will be fitted tomorrow.

Once installed and tested, the wife will be grateful, thus winning me brownie points. Huzzah!

A small win, but a win all the same.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    My conservatory is in the process of having a new valley gutter. The lockdown and good weather has allowed me to strip out the old (rotted) gutter and rebuild it properly, with suitable damp proof courses and flashings that will not allow water to run (capillary attraction) into the conservatory but outside! I have spent several days head scratching, repointing and sealing before realising that water can flow uphill if conditions are right! I also won't be replacing the fibreglass insulation which was dripping wet! It's a conservatory, not a bedroom. The tell-tale white fur on the outside wall should have told me of the problem! Stepped damp course, proper lead joint seals and a bit of fall will do the job nicely thank you. Happy days!
    Interesting your view on insulation. We changed out conservatory that was either too hot or too cold for 9 months a year to a fully insulated solid roof one, now used all year round. I think you may regret a lack of insulation & unless it is blocked off by double glazed doors vs open plan then you will definitely regret.

Master
    Apologies failed to spot the thread I replied to & was not positive. Great news you have worked out the sealant and removed the chance of capillary action.

Just watch out washing the roof, our only leak pre change was with a long brush and a hose...as you said, water doesn’t flow uphill but you can make it do so if you’re not careful...we only did it the once!!

Craftsman
    My brother and I received (it's in the bank) the £10,000 for our workshop premises based on the fact we are eligible for small rate relief, was very smooth and easy to do, hope it can be all the same for those eligible as it is down to each council on how they distribute it!

Air pollution reported to be reduced by over 60% in UK cities. Might that have a positive effect on the number of people admitted to hospital for respiratory conditions, unconnected to Covid-19?

I'd be interested to know how the lockdown is affecting other critical services -A&E must be seeing a very different Saturday night for example. What about burglaries, robberies and assaults? They have to be down don't they? Road deaths? It's going to take a long time to unwind (maybe years) but it will be interesting to see what the net economic and health effect will be.

Might be lower levels of No2 but dangerously high PM10 levels across Europe right now, particulate are far more dangerous for those with difficulties breathing.

http://macc-raq-op.meteo.fr

Visits to A&E down 29%. Visits to A&E with suspected heart attack down from 300 a day to 150.

Good news or bad news? Impossible to say without more information, but interesting nonetheless.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Visits to A&E down 29%. Visits to A&E with suspected heart attack down from 300 a day to 150.

Good news or bad news? Impossible to say without more information, but interesting nonetheless.
    This is something that's bothering us. Anecdotally we're seeing less heart attacks, strokes, appendicitis etc and eventually I suspect we're going to have to deal with the delayed presentations with severe complications as well as the expected COVID surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    This is something that's bothering us. Anecdotally we're seeing less heart attacks, strokes, appendicitis etc and eventually I suspect we're going to have to deal with the delayed presentations with severe complications as well as the expected COVID surge.

The A&E generally is more understandable...less alcohol fueled violence/accidents...less people turning up with relatively trivial stuff. (No idea why they do anyway, but they do). But heart attacks? The only figure I've seen is for a reduction in SUSPECTED heart attacks presenting. What would be more instructive is the figure for the number of actual heart attacks presenting. If that's down by the same amount, it's either very worrying or an indication that sitting at home not doing much is good fo you!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    The A&E generally is more understandable...less alcohol fueled violence/accidents...less people turning up with relatively trivial stuff. (No idea why they do anyway, but they do). But heart attacks? The only figure I've seen is for a reduction in SUSPECTED heart attacks presenting. What would be more instructive is the figure for the number of actual heart attacks presenting. If that's down by the same amount, it's either very worrying or an indication that sitting at home not doing much is good fo you!
    Where I work and in the region the vast majority of admissions to hospital come through ED which is why we're bothered by the apparent drop off in the things you'd expect to see independent of COVID. Agree actual objective data would be useful on the absolute numbers, but it's been relatively pleasant not dealing with the usual non emergency stuff though people are still managing to drink too much at home and injure themselves but admittedly to a lesser degree!

Given were all seemingly ...old gits.

It would appear that being a recipient of the BCG jab to stop us getting Tuberculosis is offering a meaningful protection against Covid-19..

I remembered mine well in 1984 and people fainting stood next to you at thought of having it, many of us will still have the wee scar and also recall the pin stamp in wrist..

U.K. stopped BCG in 2005 because..there were very few cases.....”chicken- egg”.

97% of Indias population have had it ...

================================================== ============/===============

Most countries in the world vaccinate children with something called BCG which stands for Bacillus Calmette-Guérin and it protects people from getting tuberculosis. India states that 97% of it's population has received the vaccination since it began giving them in 1949. Most countries on the planet have been giving the vaccine for the last 50-60 years, including every African country, Mexico, central and south American countries, Russia, southeast Asia, almost everybody. Now take a guess which countries don't offer the vaccinations, and instead decided decades ago to treat active tuberculosis cases instead of preventing them. Well, the US, Canada, Italy, the UK, Spain and Australia. China didn't start giving the vaccine until the early 80's, so much of their older population is unprotected. As it turns out, all of these countries that appear to be doing so well with the virus were never going to get many cases anyway. There will always be some vaccinations that don't take, or newborns that fall through the cracks and don't get the shot, which probably explains why some of these countries have a handful of cases with few or no deaths.

The Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine to prevent tuberculosis, which has been given to Indian children since 1949, and which around 97% of the 26 million Indian children born every year received last year, appears to offer protection against coronavirus disease (Covid-19), according to US researchers who analysed the wide variation in the intensity of the disease in different countries. It also helps lower cases of Covid-19 in a country, the researchers found.

The study, which will need large scale clinical testing, could, if it holds, explain why the spread of Covid-19 has been muted in India.

The new study, by researchers at the biomedical sciences department, NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine at the New York Institute of Technology found Covid-19 cases and deaths are higher in countries that do not have or have discontinued universal BCG vaccination of children, such as the US, Italy, Spain and France, compared to countries with universal and long-standing immunisation policies, such as India and China.

Covid-19 cases and deaths in the United States, Italy and Spain have outpaced China, which was the epicentre of the outbreak that was first detected in Wuhan city in early December.

BCG vaccination significantly reduced deaths from Covid-19, with the strongest reductions in countries that established a BCG vaccination policy earlier, found the study, published in the preprint health sciences server, medRxiv. The BCG vaccination benefits held after factoring in cultural norms, mitigation efforts, and health infrastructure.

The study found a direct correlation between how early the policy was established and the elderly population that would be protected. “Countries that have a late start of universal BCG policy, such as Iran in 1984, also had high mortality, consistent with the idea that BCG protects the vaccinated elderly population. We also found that BCG vaccination also reduced the number of reported Covid-19 cases in a country,” said the study titled “Correlation between universal BCG vaccination policy and reduced morbidity and mortality for Covid-19: an epidemiological study”.

The study recommends BCG vaccination as a potential new tool in the fight against Covid-19.

Australia, Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom have already announced that they will begin large-scale human trials to see whether BCG vaccination protects health workers from Covid-19 by triggering an immune response to reduce symptoms, prevent severe illness or prevent infection.

Australia announced on Friday that it will begin BCG vaccine trials with around 4,000 physicians and nurses, who are at higher risk of becoming infected with the respiratory disease than the general population, and in older persons, who are at higher risk of serious illness.

Netherlands has recruited around 1,000 health care workers in eight Dutch hospitals to either receive the BCG vaccine or a placebo.

================================================== ==========================

Master
    Still remember everyone punching everyone else on the arm after getting the BCG jab...blood on the school shirts. Ouch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Still remember everyone punching everyone else on the arm after getting the BCG jab...blood on the school shirts. Ouch.
    Oi mind me BCG

Holby City have donated their ventilators to the NHS (really)!
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 11th April 2020 at 21:34.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Given were all seemingly ...old gits.

It would appear that being a recipient of the BCG jab to stop us getting Tuberculosis is offering a meaningful protection against Covid-19..

I remembered mine well in 1984 and people fainting stood next to you at thought of having it, many of us will still have the wee scar and also recall the pin stamp in wrist..

U.K. stopped BCG in 2005 because..there were very few cases.....”chicken- egg”.

97% of Indias population have had it ...

================================================== ============/===============

Most countries in the world vaccinate children with something called BCG which stands for Bacillus Calmette-Guérin and it protects people from getting tuberculosis. India states that 97% of it's population has received the vaccination since it began giving them in 1949. Most countries on the planet have been giving the vaccine for the last 50-60 years, including every African country, Mexico, central and south American countries, Russia, southeast Asia, almost everybody. Now take a guess which countries don't offer the vaccinations, and instead decided decades ago to treat active tuberculosis cases instead of preventing them. Well, the US, Canada, Italy, the UK, Spain and Australia. China didn't start giving the vaccine until the early 80's, so much of their older population is unprotected. As it turns out, all of these countries that appear to be doing so well with the virus were never going to get many cases anyway. There will always be some vaccinations that don't take, or newborns that fall through the cracks and don't get the shot, which probably explains why some of these countries have a handful of cases with few or no deaths.

The Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine to prevent tuberculosis, which has been given to Indian children since 1949, and which around 97% of the 26 million Indian children born every year received last year, appears to offer protection against coronavirus disease (Covid-19), according to US researchers who analysed the wide variation in the intensity of the disease in different countries. It also helps lower cases of Covid-19 in a country, the researchers found.

The study, which will need large scale clinical testing, could, if it holds, explain why the spread of Covid-19 has been muted in India.

The new study, by researchers at the biomedical sciences department, NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine at the New York Institute of Technology found Covid-19 cases and deaths are higher in countries that do not have or have discontinued universal BCG vaccination of children, such as the US, Italy, Spain and France, compared to countries with universal and long-standing immunisation policies, such as India and China.

Covid-19 cases and deaths in the United States, Italy and Spain have outpaced China, which was the epicentre of the outbreak that was first detected in Wuhan city in early December.

BCG vaccination significantly reduced deaths from Covid-19, with the strongest reductions in countries that established a BCG vaccination policy earlier, found the study, published in the preprint health sciences server, medRxiv. The BCG vaccination benefits held after factoring in cultural norms, mitigation efforts, and health infrastructure.

The study found a direct correlation between how early the policy was established and the elderly population that would be protected. “Countries that have a late start of universal BCG policy, such as Iran in 1984, also had high mortality, consistent with the idea that BCG protects the vaccinated elderly population. We also found that BCG vaccination also reduced the number of reported Covid-19 cases in a country,” said the study titled “Correlation between universal BCG vaccination policy and reduced morbidity and mortality for Covid-19: an epidemiological study”.

The study recommends BCG vaccination as a potential new tool in the fight against Covid-19.

Australia, Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom have already announced that they will begin large-scale human trials to see whether BCG vaccination protects health workers from Covid-19 by triggering an immune response to reduce symptoms, prevent severe illness or prevent infection.

Australia announced on Friday that it will begin BCG vaccine trials with around 4,000 physicians and nurses, who are at higher risk of becoming infected with the respiratory disease than the general population, and in older persons, who are at higher risk of serious illness.

Netherlands has recruited around 1,000 health care workers in eight Dutch hospitals to either receive the BCG vaccine or a placebo.

================================================== ==========================
    Bad Science.
    Not peer-reviewed.
    We've had BCG in the UK from the early '50s to 2005 so most people over 30 and under 80 have had it (or been exposed to TB).
    I do not believe that 97% of the Indian population have had BCG.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Bad Science.
    Not peer-reviewed.
    We've had BCG in the UK from the early '50s to 2005 so most people over 30 and under 80 have had it (or been exposed to TB).
    I do not believe that 97% of the Indian population have had BCG.
    If it’s not been peer reviewed it should be read with caution. But it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad science! It’s increasingly common to ‘pre-release’ papers.

I’ve not read the paper so can’t pass comment.

As an aside, just because a paper has been peer reviewed doesn’t mean it’s good science either!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    As an aside, just because a paper has been peer reviewed doesn’t mean it’s good science either!
    Absolutely.
    And let's not forget 'bad reporting of good science' which happens a lot.

But that, based on the premise that 97% of the Indian population have had the BCG jab, looks a lot like bad science to me.

We're in the 'nature abhors a vacuum' phase at the moment. It all about BCG, blood group, baldness etc etc.

edit: and as someone who has had the BCG I would be happy if it were true
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 11th April 2020 at 22:56.

This would count as good news as if proven would mean a vaccine would potentially be very effective as the virus does not react badly to antibodies even if a slightly different viral variant is present. For example some diseases such as Dengue have multiple strains and antibodies to 1 strain can actually trigger a more severe reaction if you get infected with a different strain. Does not appear to be the case with COVID.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...04.10.036418v1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Perhaps Jet2 know more about the current situation than the rest of us, but good news if it's true and they seem confident that I should pay the £5k balance I have for our holiday to Cyprus in July.

Below is a reply to my email about the balance that is due in a few weeks.

Thank you for your email,

Please note, understandably we’re currently experiencing unprecedented amounts of calls and emails from our customers.

If you are contacting us about your booking and you are due to travel with us up until and including 16 June, we will be unable to respond to this. However, please don’t worry. If your holiday has been cancelled, we will be in touch with you to discuss all available options. If not there is no need to contact us as your holiday or flight will operate as normal. Thank you so much for your continued patience during this very unsettling time, we’d like to assure you that we are doing everything we can to take care of our loyal & values customers. Please bear with us as we will be contacting customers in date of departure order.

If you are contacting us for any other reason we will do our best to contact you as soon as possible.

Kindest regards
    3 months time?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Perhaps Jet2 know more about the current situation than the rest of us, but good news if it's true and they seem confident that I should pay the £5k balance I have for our holiday to Cyprus in July.
    I am in a similar situation with a trip to Mallorca with Jet2 in July. I wouldn't mind paying the balance if they either offer the trip as booked or if they cannot, they refund the full balance in cash. I realise that no-one knows what the travel (or any other) situation will be in July however for the sake of a £60pp deposit I am not going to lend them £00's and end up with a voucher I may not be able or willing to use even if they are in business going forwards.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Delaying refunds. Probably don't have the cash to refund everyone just yet. Will have paid hotels, airlines etc and be trying to recoup what they can.

I wouldn't pay a penny more personally, and would try to get my money back.

I wouldn't put a penny on their survival either, unfortunately, and you can be sure you will not be one of the privileged creditors, so your money will be used to fill the pockets of the liquidators, and would possibly not be protected by travel insurance. In any case, should you feel you need to fulfil, I would recommend speaking to your travel insurance first to understand where you stand.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    3 months time?
    The Jet2 statement leaves very little wriggle room, but I still think it's 50\50 at best.
    I meant do you think in 3 months time everywhere will be open again, like nothing happened? And people will be sitting in restaurants and bars and enjoying themselves on holiday, mingling in close contact with lots of other people? I don't think I'd want to.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I am in a similar situation with a trip to Mallorca with Jet2 in July. I wouldn't mind paying the balance if they either offer the trip as booked or if they cannot, they refund the full balance in cash. I realise that no-one knows what the travel (or any other) situation will be in July however for the sake of a £60pp deposit I am not going to lend them £00's and end up with a voucher I may not be able or willing to use even if they are in business going forwards.
    This ^^ (although I still wouldn't want to go to be honest even if they offered the trip as booked.)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

See that Public Health England have started serology testing yesterday, first results should be reported tomorrow.

I'm not sure you are up to speed on how things work. Firstly the deposit is always non refundable, and second the holiday was booked some time ago and is fully protected by ABTA\ATOL.
    My point in my post was that Jet2 feel that no matter what the holiday in July is going ahead, and I just wondered what gave them the confidence to make that statement.
    If you know better, please don't mind me. I seem to have read that the ABTA /ATOL guarantee was not such a gold standard in this crisis. But in any case it is not my money so I am out and genuinely wish you can sort it to your satisfaction.

I'm not sure you are up to speed on how things work. Firstly the deposit is always non refundable, and second the holiday was booked some time ago and is fully protected by ABTA\ATOL.
    My point in my post was that Jet2 feel that no matter what the holiday in July is going ahead, and I just wondered what gave them the confidence to make that statement.
    They're not confident that your holiday is going ahead.
    They want your money in the bank so they can refund people for cancelled holidays in May.
    They will worry about your refund nearer the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    They're not confident that your holiday is going ahead.
    They want your money in the bank so they can refund people for cancelled holidays in May.
    They will worry about your refund nearer the time.
    Correct

NEW VENTILATOR APPROVED FOR USE
    A new type of ventilator has become the first approved for use in treating Covid-19 patients.
    Made by a small Welsh company and designed by an NHS surgeon, it has beaten bigger players such as Dyson and Formula One to getting the green light.
    Consultant Dr Rhys Thomas, from Glangwili Hospital, West Wales, designed the device with the help of Maurice Clarke of CR Clarke & Co, an engineering company in Ammanford.
    The Covid CPAP machine has been approved by the Medicines and Health products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). It will now undergo clinical trials.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    NEW VENTILATOR APPROVED FOR USE
    A new type of ventilator has become the first approved for use in treating Covid-19 patients.
    Made by a small Welsh company and designed by an NHS surgeon, it has beaten bigger players such as Dyson and Formula One to getting the green light.
    Consultant Dr Rhys Thomas, from Glangwili Hospital, West Wales, designed the device with the help of Maurice Clarke of CR Clarke & Co, an engineering company in Ammanford.
    The Covid CPAP machine has been approved by the Medicines and Health products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). It will now undergo clinical trials.

No matter how often it's posted, A CPAP is no ventilator.

However, I may help some of the virus patients and most importantly keep the real ventilators for those who need them. As such this is good news, but there are no shortages in working design, the problem is in the manufacturing capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

However, I may help some of the virus patients and most importantly keep the real ventilators for those who need them.
    It's actually more than that, Raffe: Ventilators are very traumatic, and it's no surprise there are about 50% who do not pull through. CPAP allows to delay, and hopefully avoid, the moment the patient cannot breath on his own.
    The supply hurdle you mention remains, though.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

However, I may help some of the virus patients and most importantly keep the real ventilators for those who need them. As such this is good news, but there are no shortages in working design, the problem is in the manufacturing capacity.
    Thanks for the info, wasn't aware of the difference myself. But equipment that helps someone is still good news, and indicative of how companies with little or no previous medical experience are stepping up to the plate.

Mercedes have been producing up to 1,000 CPAP devices a day since last week and believe quite a few of the 10,000 ordered have already been delivered, the government have also ordered 10,000 RMVS (rapidly manufactured ventilation system) machines which I believe are already being made by other F1 teams.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 14th April 2020 at 12:09.