closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 544

Thread: The COVID-19 Promising News thread

  1. #51
    Journeyman Paradiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    210
    Report from what I can see from my window:
    - backlog of rubbish collection has finally been picked up today after a strike at my local council
    - deliveries are being made frequently to the nearby Sainsburys local

    Other than that:
    - I appreciate the emails from various supermarkets assuring the us to not panic buy and reserving hours for NHS workers/older folks
    - A doctor friend of mine showed us photos of empty supermarket shelves, however food bank boxes there were completely full
    - Treated ourselves to a takeaway last night. Deliveroo rider was very grateful and smiley

    Stay safe folks!

  2. #52
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,008
    The family run pub we had booked for Mothers' Day lunch has enterprisingly converted to a takeaway service (even includes beer). The waiting staff are becoming delivery drivers. We'll do our best to support them in their endeavour, I will be collecting for my Mum and Dad to drop off as well as our family meals and the will join M&D for a virtual pub Mothers' Day lunch via a video call.
    Don't Panic

  3. #53
    I am based from home anyway as our company HQ is in Newcastle. The whole company is now remote and some are finding the change a bit tricky but I'm sure they will cope quickly.

    I've never really liked video conferencing having much preferred face to face and getting some variety in getting out and about.

    On the positive side the dogs are getting 2 -3 walks a day, me, my wife and the kids take them out individually to get some "me time".
    And my running times have been coming down consistently on Strava!!

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    And my running times have been coming down consistently on Strava!!
    I need to work on this 👍🏻

  5. #55
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639

    The COVID-19 Promising News thread

    Pragnells jewellers (incl Tarratts) sent me a heart warming email. Impressive gesture by an impressive company imho - ps sorry the writing is so small at the bottom

  6. #56
    Craftsman boris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    East Anglia, UK
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Pragnells jewellers (incl Tarratts) sent me a heart warming email. Impressive gesture by an impressive company imho - ps sorry the writing is so small at the bottom
    They were useless in trying to help me when tracing a watch they sold without the correct paperwork. Far less than impressive in every respect. Communication, poor. Management of stocks, awful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #57
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    308
    Hoping to see many positive posts on here the negative ones are not doing it for me on here


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #58
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,866
    Think there are some here that just don’t do, or understand happy. So sad.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #59
    I’m trying to organise a WhatsApp group in my street to coordinate offers/requests for help.
    Today I got the phone numbers of 7 yummy mummies!!!!

  10. #60
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    They were useless in trying to help me when tracing a watch they sold without the correct paperwork. Far less than impressive in every respect. Communication, poor. Management of stocks, awful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you read the thread title? They are doing a positive thing which is why I posted it. Plenty handwringing threads on here if that’s what you like.

  11. #61
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,217
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just had a call from the manager at the hotel in North Wales where I usually take my Mum for Sunday Lunch .
    He said they were shutting up tomorrow and wanted my Mums number to see if she wanted any of their food stocks dropping off.
    A lovely gesture and one I hope to repay when we come out the other side.

  12. #62
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,128
    Latest University of Oxford research is estimating actual fatality rate of COVID-19 at between 0.19% and 0.24% factoring in ALL infections not the ones hospitalised (and therefore known). Their findings are that there are very large numbers of infected people not counting in official infection stats.

    https://www.cebm.net/global-covid-19...atality-rates/

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Latest University of Oxford research is estimating actual fatality rate of COVID-19 at between 0.19% and 0.24% factoring in ALL infections not the ones hospitalised (and therefore known). Their findings are that there are very large numbers of infected people not counting in official infection stats.

    https://www.cebm.net/global-covid-19...atality-rates/
    Thanks for posting. A lot of interesting and scientifically validated information there. If we all took our information from sources like this rather than the sensationalist crap put out by the mainstream media, we'd be a lot better for it. Doesn't really condense down to a doom-laden headline though!

  14. #64
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Latest University of Oxford research is estimating actual fatality rate of COVID-19 at between 0.19% and 0.24% factoring in ALL infections not the ones hospitalised (and therefore known). Their findings are that there are very large numbers of infected people not counting in official infection stats.

    https://www.cebm.net/global-covid-19...atality-rates/
    These figures ease some worry, thanks for the info, but I’m glad in a way they don’t publish these ones as even more people would take no notice of the rules. Keep the good work up ppl!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #65
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Just had a call from the manager at the hotel in North Wales where I usually take my Mum for Sunday Lunch .
    He said they were shutting up tomorrow and wanted my Mums number to see if she wanted any of their food stocks dropping off.
    A lovely gesture and one I hope to repay when we come out the other side.
    Walked passed a “ red phone box” in the Welsh Village of Glyndyfrdwy last week , it was stocked with Books , guides on walks in the area and 3 wrapped toilet rolls.

    Brilliant, small acts of consideration for others shine a bright light these days.

  16. #66
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,128
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...tions-12567840

    Wuhan going back to work. Fantastic news! They locked down on 23th Jan so it took 9 weeks

  17. #67
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639
    Wonder how they will react if a second wave starts. Good that they are going back to work though.

  18. #68
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639
    https://ukinvestormagazine.co.uk/nov...eid=a491d60c97

    Novacyt shares up 45% on the back of announcement that FDA granted approval for covid-19 tests to go ahead.

  19. #69
    Death toll in Italy falls for second day in a row

  20. #70
    Just saw this thread.
    Great idea to put up some positive news. We all need it.
    Hope that Oxford study is validated.

  21. #71
    Britain under lock down.

  22. #72
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,169
    65000 deaths forecast for swine flu in 2009, 500 actual. Maybe it wont be so bad

  23. #73
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639
    Number of new cases in Italy’s worst region finally falling. That’s really good news. Best we’ve had for a while.

  24. #74
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,128
    This is encouraging as the group size is pretty large

    https://mobile.twitter.com/RossFairc...63727325483010

    Scroll down and read the Doctor's letter

    Caveat (huge one!) is it needs to be verified
    Last edited by ryanb741; 25th March 2020 at 08:17.

  25. #75
    Journeyman Paradiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    This is encouraging as the group size is pretty large

    https://mobile.twitter.com/RossFairc...63727325483010

    Scroll down and read the Doctor's letter

    Caveat (huge one!) is it needs to be verified
    That is encouraging news especially for those lucky 350 people that were observed in the study. Hope it can be validated and used more widely very soon.
    What I don't like his how his tweet is turning into a little bonfire celebration for Tr*mp supporters.

  26. #76
    Journeyman Paradiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    210
    2,837 recoveries declared in Germany yesterday although doesn't seem like English language media has picked up on it.

    This is the only source I can find:
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...untry/germany/

    Makes me wonder what triggered such high recovery in 1 day.

  27. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    2,837 recoveries declared in Germany yesterday although doesn't seem like English language media has picked up on it.

    This is the only source I can find:
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...untry/germany/

    Makes me wonder what triggered such high recovery in 1 day.
    Thanks for the link. That is a fascinating site.

  28. #78
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,128
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52033845

    Prince Charles has the virus

  29. #79
    Master raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunstroke capital,Cyprus
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52033845

    Prince Charles has the virus
    Maybe Camila is the solution to treatment

  30. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52033845

    Prince Charles has the virus
    Why promising news?

  31. #81
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why promising news?
    Whoops I posted it in the wrong thread, meant to be in the other one

  32. #82
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    19,803
    Had a walk this morning in the country side, in this glorious weather. Not a human soul to see, but a large number of bumblebees, and with all the meadow flowers they have plenty of food. Compared to last year when every other BB was on the ground and needed a drop of sugary water to restore its energy levels, this is undoubtedly a very good sign. Not virus related, possibly, but still a positive thing for today.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  33. #83

    The COVID-19 Promising News thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Whoops I posted it in the wrong thread, meant to be in the other one
    Far too many corona threads TBH! Which other one?

    Edit: Now got it’s own thread!
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 25th March 2020 at 13:33.

  34. #84
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    17,562
    Wow!

    Some people are really amazing!

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52029877


    405,000 volunteers in just 24 hours.
    So clever my foot fell off.

  35. #85
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Wow!

    Some people are really amazing!

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52029877


    405,000 volunteers in just 24 hours.
    That’s actually amazing

  36. #86
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639
    Did I read English case numbers slowed down ?

  37. #87
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,128
    Further research from Uni of Oxford (remember who indicated an actual fatality rate of around 0.2% based on far more people having been infected than records indicate).

    They have conducted more research based on Icelandic data (where testing per capita is much more widespread) and have a case fatality rate of between 0.05% and 0.14%

    https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global...atality-rates/

  38. #88
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,169
    From the Times.


    “The virus death toll could end up being “substantially lower” than 20,000, with most of the fatalities in people who would have died later this year anyway, a government adviser has said.

    Neil Ferguson, the Imperial College London scientist whose research precipitated tougher government measures last week, told MPs: “It [the deaths of those who would have died anyway] might be as much as half or two thirds of the deaths we see, because these are people at the end of their lives or who have underlying conditions.”

    He told Today on BBC Radio 4 this morning: “We’re going to have a very difficult few weeks in which NHS services will be intensely stressed but won’t break. We will have surge capacity, “

  39. #89
    Master Omegary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    8,630
    A heart warming story from a village near me.
    A crisis really can bring out the best in people (and the worst unfortunately).

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-52047985

    Keep safe out there

    Gary

  40. #90
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    From the Times.


    “The virus death toll could end up being “substantially lower” than 20,000, with most of the fatalities in people who would have died later this year anyway, a government adviser has said.

    Neil Ferguson, the Imperial College London scientist whose research precipitated tougher government measures last week, told MPs: “It [the deaths of those who would have died anyway] might be as much as half or two thirds of the deaths we see, because these are people at the end of their lives or who have underlying conditions.”

    He told Today on BBC Radio 4 this morning: “We’re going to have a very difficult few weeks in which NHS services will be intensely stressed but won’t break. We will have surge capacity, “
    Deaths of over 65s in Italy are only a tiny bit above what the mean daily rate is and below what would be expected at this time of year due to flu. So the disease mostly takes months off a life not years. Yes there are outliers and we hear about younger people dying but that happens with flu too and doesn't make the news.

    I'm not trivialising these older deaths either as these are spouses, parents and grandparents who are much loved but statistically these deaths in Italy aren't adding to overall death rates and it may be that Covid is killing people that the flu would have killed. Also note Italian data says if you have Covid when you die then cause of death is Covid regardless of other comorbidities. German data is based on deaths only as a result of Covid.

  41. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    A heart warming story from a village near me.
    A crisis really can bring out the best in people (and the worst unfortunately).

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-52047985

    Keep safe out there

    Gary
    If it’s near you then you can’t be far from me!

    Have you been to any of the quiz nights at The Fox?

  42. #92
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,370
    Some good news at the supermarket - it was actually a reasonably pleasant shopping experience today. Short queue of about 6 or 7 people with a one-in-one-out policy and a bouncer...I had visions that when I got in it would be like the disappointment of the nightclub that you queue to get into only to find it empty when you get inside. Actually, could get most things we wanted. No loo-roll still but managed everything else on our list. People also seem to be doing the 2 metre thing quite well too.

  43. #93
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,128
    Italian deaths of over 65s still below peak flu season rates

    http://euromomo.eu/outputs/zscore_country_total.html

  44. #94
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639
    I found the applause tonight strangely moving and it was the first time I felt the country was united

  45. #95
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    13,717
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I found the applause tonight strangely moving and it was the first time I felt the country was united
    Same here. The lot that live round here dont normally speak to each other. Before everyone went in there were a number of people calling out "goodnight, look after yourselves"

    Is this a one off or are we doing it every night?
    ''I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
    purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis"

  46. #96
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Same here. The lot that live round here dont normally speak to each other. Before everyone went in there were a number of people calling out "goodnight, look after yourselves"

    Is this a one off or are we doing it every night?
    I don’t know -

  47. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Same here. The lot that live round here dont normally speak to each other. Before everyone went in there were a number of people calling out "goodnight, look after yourselves"

    Is this a one off or are we doing it every night?
    Hope not, don’t want to talk to neighbours.

  48. #98
    Master Omegary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    8,630
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    If it’s near you then you can’t be far from me!

    Have you been to any of the quiz nights at The Fox?
    It's a couple of miles from me and I've cycled past countless times, always thought it looks like a nice pub but I've never been inside. When things get back to normal I'll take the wife there for something to eat.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  49. #99
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    17,562
    There's not very many houses immediately near us, so went out on the doorstep with the wife and kids not really expecting to hear anything...

    But clearly the whole village was out and we heard the clapping and cheering very clearly.

    It was rather special.
    So clever my foot fell off.

  50. #100
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,981
    I agree it felt good to release some emotion.

    Although one of our neighbours was howling like a werewolf. Is that a Covid-19 symptom?!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information