closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Promising News thread

Just attempted the supermarket for the first time in a week, had to que outside for about 10 mins, people observing the two metre rule then one at a time let into the store, pleasantly surprised to find the shelves fully stocked with everything except flour and yeast, two things I wanted but never mind...

One thing we Brits are good at is queuing lol...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just attempted the supermarket for the first time in a week, had to que outside for about 10 mins, people observing the two metre rule then one at a time let into the store, pleasantly surprised to find the shelves fully stocked with everything except flour and yeast, two things I wanted but never mind...

One thing we Brits are good at is queuing lol...
    Same here. Went into a big Tesco this morning before the vulnerable people hour. First shop in a week and also had to queue with a 2m gap.
    The lovely cashier was in a pretty good mood and also overheard the store manager talk about doing interviews today.

Lots of fresh veg, fruits, bread and milk.
    Not much stock left of eggs, milk and pasta but they were still available. Only thing still out was loo rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Same here. The lot that live round here dont normally speak to each other. Before everyone went in there were a number of people calling out "goodnight, look after yourselves"

Is this a one off or are we doing it every night?
    pretty sure it was meant to be a one off but let’s see, don’t want to be a party pooper but watching the news last night
    seemed to be quite a few people not sticking to the 2Ms so maybe everyday isn’t a great idea. We did it in our back garden.

Possible good news in America they have it would appear successfully treated some seriously ill people with ‘ Leronlimab’ an HIV drug and its worked very well.

Fingers crossed...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Possible good news in America they have it would appear successfully treated some seriously ill people with ‘ Leronlimab’ an HIV drug and its worked very well.

Fingers crossed...
    Nice to hear some positive news. If the drug has already been tested for use on people perhaps it would be quicker to bring to use than something new?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Another study showing good results using a combo of Chloroquine and Azithromycin.

https://www.mediterranee-infection.c...ID-IHU-2-1.pdf

One of the issues with these drugs trials is that you need a control group where patients take a placebo in order to determine a delta in outcomes. However having a control group of people who think they are taking effective meds but just taking a placebo raises some ethical dilemmas and this is what is causing issues in determining what the best therapeutics are as it is still hard to determine whether patients would have recovered without the drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nice to hear some positive news. If the drug has already been tested for use on people perhaps it would be quicker to bring to use than something new?
    Tested on 7 patients this week 2 now off ventilators 4 doing well 1 no change

Its also proving effective on many cancers ....

They are pushing through approval ....rapidly

https://seekingalpha.com/article/433...-covidminus-19

Looks like someone knew already...

Last edited by TKH; 28th March 2020 at 11:15.

Medical researcher here, not in the UK but another country which has handled this rather better.

We started looking at this at the end of Jan - I work on a large research site (5,000+) people, since the end of Jan our site alone has:

synthesized two different antiviral agents with high enough quantities/purity for local hospitals to test
    produced a 15-20min MAb test that is so accurate it can show Covid-19 but does not react to SARS
    Obtained Covid-19 and started to reproduced it under BSL-3 conditions (ie safely)
    Analysed Covid-19 sequence and identified 3 target proteins and a FDA approved compound that can disrupt that proteins
    Obtained 2 of those proteins and started running tests to see if the compound disrupt it
    Started testing Covid-19 to check it does use those proteins

Our next step is if the compound works against the proteins to test it in people - since the compound is already a drug we already know side-effects/dosages.

This is one sites work in 8 weeks. I am sure other sites are doing better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    That's good the hear. Are the different sites\countries sharing their finding on their progress?
    We have had superb cooperation with other labs/hospitals at that level, we also have very very good relationship with our Government people, partly because we are the their pride and joy research campus in the country.

Nowadays lab-to-lab contact is easy with email, facetime, zoom, skype etc and while their is obviously a lot of respect to be won by being 'first' pretty much everyone we have had contact with has been more interesed in someone/anyone finding a working drug than be the one to find it.

I think there is a lot of cooperation going on under Government level - because to be honest politicians are not the sort of people who should be in charge at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eldrich View Post
    We have had superb cooperation with other labs/hospitals at that level, we also have very very good relationship with our Government people, partly because we are the their pride and joy research campus in the country.

Nowadays lab-to-lab contact is easy with email, facetime, zoom, skype etc and while their is obviously a lot of respect to be won by being 'first' pretty much everyone we have had contact with has been more interesed in someone/anyone finding a working drug than be the one to find it.

I think there is a lot of cooperation going on under Government level - because to be honest politicians are not the sort of people who should be in charge at the moment.
    Sincere congratulations and thanks for your vital work, we are relying so much on you and your colleagues efforts. Many Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Sincere congratulations and thanks for your vital work, we are relying so much on you and your colleagues efforts. Many Thanks.
    Absolutely +1.

Keep at it guys, you are the heroes we need right now.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Thanks Eldrich

thats some number of people working on the problem / solution....

great to have your input / insight and hopefully a resolution...

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Thanks Eldrich

thats some number of people working on the problem / solution....

great to have your input / insight and hopefully a resolution...
    Sorry if I mislead people, out of the 5,000+ on site I would guess 500 ish are working on Covid-19, which is still a fair amount of scientists all working on the same thing. To make things crystal clear I am not personally working on Covid-19, half of my lab is but I work in a different area and so my help is essentially to support them, provide what they need (I am the lab manager) and take over many of the day to day routine things to free them up to do their work. So I see a few have thanked me, thank you, but want to you know I am just supporting those doing the research and I don't want to deceive anyone to that regard.

Many of the others on site that are working on scientific research that is unrelated e.g. plants biology, physics etc etc so there isn't much they can do to help out but most of our BioMed, BioChen, Bio, Chem and Genomics Institutes have dedicated groups to Covid-19 and have done for 2+ months already. The cross pollination between the buildings here is unprecedented, the site president has appointed a team to get things done and they are 'getting it done'.

WRT to Intl cooperation, I read in the local papers today that one country has purchased 300,000 testing kits from China that essentially don't work, our Govn has reached out to that country and we have apparently promised them a number of our testing kits and given them the knowledge to make their own based on ours. This is why I became a BioMedical scientist in the first place, so that we can share knowledge to save lives. I applaud the 1st line medics they are incredibly brave but when I look at what is happening on campus I am proud to see what we are doing so the medics will have the ability to save more people and more quickly.

My lab specializes in protein structure and protein binding, hence we are the lead on compound design at the moment, I was asked if we could purchase some new computers for additional in-silico compound refinement work (I run the lab budget and am sys admin too). I obtained a quote on a Monday, refined it on Tuesday, applied on Wed, was approved the same day and delivery is due next next week. This is 16x 20-core rack amount machines at around US$ 5,000 each, normally purchases like this that take 1-2 months here.

Hope this clarifies some things.
    Last edited by eldrich; 28th March 2020 at 15:48.

All the best to you and your colleagues Eldrich!

This is brilliant news! Amazing tech from the F1 companies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    I know -first hand- that the major producers of ventilators & other leading industries had a (virtual) GTG last week, trying to accelerate the production of vital components. Leading industries like health tech companies, F1, big European & Asian car manufacturers and leading soft and hardware companies sat around the 'table'. "It was the biggest high tech conference in history! So many CEOs and CTOs sitting around a virtual table." A few companies are even willing to give up patents so that others can copy their products.

Biggest problems are the governments: they've locked their countries/borders. As a result, some parts cannot be manufactured or shipped. Those big-name companies are trying to persuade certain governments to re-open the factories and allow shipment of produced parts.

A secundaire problem is maintaining all the equipment: every manufacturer has a certain number of (field) engineers for maintenance. The larger number of machines need to be maintained as well. There are simply not enough engineers at the moment! And every real-life check of a ventilator takes more time than normal: every engineer needs to dress like he/she is IC personnel. That takes time as well. All ventilator sellers are busy training new engineers.
    Then there's the production: now a 24/7 production line. "We need 3x or 4x the number of staff compared to a normal production run. We need to train those new people as well. (Most components are Asian-made)

Again, first hand: "What normally takes a year, will now be done in weeks. Provided every link in the chain will do its job. We've dusted off the wartime production manuals for this!"

Finally, who gets the machines first? First come, first serve? Or is there another key to distribute those machines around the world? Is that the producers' dilemma or is it the WHO's?

M

Good to hear Prince Charles has recovered and is out of self isolation 👍

Isnt self isolation for 14 days ? Prince is out of isolation within 7 days .

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

Quote Originally Posted by turbomolwi View Post
    7 days if he's the one with symptoms. 14 days if you're isolating with someone else symptomatic.

The good news is that now he has immunity he can volunteer on the front line.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomolwi View Post
    14 Days if in contact with someone who has it. If have it 7, because will have had it for 7(?) days before that. Unless I'm mistaken...

Terrific news though, just the fillip that the country needs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    fillip should probably keep well away
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Simple question as I just can't think of a method to stop the spread quickly enough.
    Everyone is pushing for a lot of people to be tested which is fair enough.
    If they test me (I don't mind BTW) and the result is negative, I can go out potentially catch the virus after a while.
    Before I'll start getting the well known simptoms, I can easily spread the virus to a lot of other people.
    So how often and when do we need testing ?! Weekly, monthly? There is no ideal solution to this IMO.
    That's why self isolation is very important as soon as someome has any kind of simptoms.
    BTW, BBC has a documentary about Wuhan...quite impressive but I just can't see that kind of lockdown being possible here or another developed democratic country.

Its a bit confusing . So if you have any symptoms then you need to selfisolate for 7 days . But symptoms can last for 12 to 14 days . how long can you be contagious after 7 days ? Some say that you can be contagious after symptoms have disappeared for upto 2 weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    14 Days if in contact with someone who has it. If have it 7, because will have had it for 7(?) days before that. Unless I'm mistaken...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    7 days if he's the one with symptoms. 14 days if you're isolating with someone else symptomatic.

The good news is that now he has immunity he can volunteer on the front line.
    Which job on the front line do you think a person his age with little training would be able to do?

Which job on the front line do you think a person his age with little training would be able to do?
    I'm pretty sure that, even with his total lack of any training, he could quickly be taught how to wield a brush or a mop with disinfectant - I'm sure these rolls are needed in our hospitals right now ook.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I'm pretty sure that, even with his total lack of any training, he could quickly be taught how to wield a brush or a mop with disinfectant - I'm sure these rolls are needed in our hospitals right now ook.
    Have you applied?

Have you applied?
    I would have, but I'm in the high risk category and am in self isolation at the moment. I know a number of people who have though, how about you?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

2 acts of frustration witnessed in Kingston today. First was an eastern European chap insisting on fishing on the Thames. Passers by having none of it and his gear in the river.

2nd is a chap in our development insistent on riding his Ducati motorbike every day for no reason other than just riding it. Repeated complaints (it is a loud bike and he shouldn't be riding it for no reason) ignored - bike found itself deposited in one of the communal skips this PM!

Didn't think it would be long before the banal comments would be forthcoming 🥴

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    2 acts of frustration witnessed in Kingston today. First was an eastern European chap insisting on fishing on the Thames. Passers by having none of it and his gear in the river.

2nd is a chap in our development insistent on riding his Ducati motorbike every day for no reason other than just riding it. Repeated complaints (it is a loud bike and he shouldn't be riding it for no reason) ignored - bike found itself deposited in one of the communal skips this PM!
    Suppose the self-proclaimed policemen are the same who told us a couple of weeks ago it was just a flu? Why wouldn't anyone be allowed to fish?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Suppose the self-proclaimed policemen are the same who told us a couple of weeks ago it was just a flu? Why wouldn't anyone be allowed to fish?
    Well, he was Eastern European, so there!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman

Great shame that people feel the need to attack other people’s possessions. Whilst some might feel someone is following the spirit of the governments wishes, I’m not sure fishing or riding a bike is that likely to harm anyone else.

Wonder if these vigilantes would like to take on real criminals now they have the taste for it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Why do the "yoofs" think that they can ride their unlicensed trail bikes down the main road and along the beach paths congregating together smoking who knows what? (I know what it smells like!) Reported via 101 but didn't really want to bother the overworked bobbies in our area. It is not "just an old persons disease!"

The Angling Trust suggest all anglers refrain from fishing, so on what basis are you suggesting it should be allowed?

https://www.anglingtrust.net/default.asp

Because regardless of what the angler’s trust says, until the government has forbidden it, it’s authorised. Even more so when it’s ideal for maintaining social distanciation. Unless of course some busybodies feel entitled to break that distanciation.

Statistically though, I suspect it will turn out like any respiratory disease to be a 99.9% “old person” killer with 0.1% of younger people that die and get individually reported on by the papers. These kids are probably low risk themselves but are showing absolutely no thought for the older generation that they are potentially helping to spread the disease to.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Because regardless of what the angler’s trust says, until the government has forbidden it, it’s authorised. Even more so when it’s ideal for maintaining social distanciation. Unless of course some busybodies feel entitled to break that distanciation.
    It is forbidden isn't it? It's not one of the legitimate reasons for leaving the house. My angling days are behind me but I do understand why people find it relaxing, enjoyable etc but it's not 'exercise'.

From the gov.uk 'full guidance'...

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
    one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
    any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
    travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home.

The appointed police are bad enough (drones over deserted Derbyshire) without the self-appointed ones. Hard to see what harm a bloke fishing is going to do. You COULD make a case for stopping the guy on his bike (he might crash it and need hospital treatment) but the real reason these people get involved is they don't want to see someone else having a more bearable time than them. Dare say it took more than one person to get the bike into the skip. Suppose they must have been from the same family.

Master
    Actually it is currently the 'close season' for coarse angling in the uk;
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...hing-commences

edited to add that on still waters and some canals it might be permitted..

https://www.anglingtrust.net/news.as...ing+Trust+News
    Last edited by bry nylon; 30th March 2020 at 20:12.

It is forbidden isn't it? It's not one of the legitimate reasons for leaving the house. My angling days are behind me but I do understand why people find it relaxing, enjoyable etc but it's not 'exercise'.

From the gov.uk 'full guidance'...

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
    one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
    any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
    travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home.

Ever heard about people fishing in order to eat the fish? That could almost be considered as providing for food on the table.

But I get the point if the perpetrator was Eastern European....

Ever heard about people fishing in order to eat the fish? That could almost be considered as providing for food on the table.
    I have and I've done it but I do think pulling fish out of the Thames at the moment is stretching the definition "shopping for basic necessities" a little far.

But I get the point if the perpetrator was Eastern European....
    I'm not sure why the fact that he was an Eastern European makes any difference (either to you or Ryan).

Anyway, let's get back to 'Promising News' on this thread. There are two other threads where we can discuss the rights and wrongs of throwing peoples belongings into the river/skip.

Quite right. Well it's surely positive news that UK deaths of people with Coronavirus have fallen for consecutive days and new hospital admissions have levelled off. By no means certain that the tide has turned but a welcome indication nonetheless.

I have and I've done it but I do think pulling fish out of the Thames at the moment is stretching the definition "shopping for basic necessities" a little far.

I'm not sure why the fact that he was an Eastern European makes any difference (either to you or Ryan).

Anyway, let's get back to 'Promising News' on this thread. There are two other threads where we can discuss the rights and wrongs of throwing peoples belongings into the river/skip.
    I never understood why those incidents were posted in this thread in the first place, that's why I commented.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Quite right. Well it's surely positive news that UK deaths of people with Coronavirus have fallen for consecutive days and new hospital admissions have levelled off. By no means certain that the tide has turned but a welcome indication nonetheless.

Great news indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    They will go up a LOT tomorrow as it is the first day where they will retrospectively count all the deaths that occurred outside of hospital (so at home/care home etc). I believe the count back will be to Jan. Then after tomorrow we will have at least consistent daily numbers outlining true numbers of COVID deaths

The fact that he was Eastern European matters: they don’t do ‘catch and release’. What they take out of the water goes in the pan.

Blog Entries
    Have you not seen the news for the last few weeks? Really?

Blog Entries
    I would have, but I'm in the high risk category and am in self isolation at the moment. I know a number of people who have though, how about you?
    I’m in the high risk category also so am in isolation with her indoors.
    Otherwise I would certainly be willing.

Have you not seen the news for the last few weeks? Really?
    Please explain how this guy was posing a greater threat to the general public than someone going shopping

Please explain how this guy was posing a greater threat to the general public than someone going shopping
    He isn't. People are getting a hard time for partaking in all sorts of outdoor pursuits, but without creating an almost infinite list of things we can or can't do, we've got a blanket approach. Personally I'd like a common sense approach to out door activity, but as proven on a daily basis there are a huge amount of people in this country that don't possess the tiniest bit of common sense.