closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Promising News thread

The COVID-19 Promising News thread

Thought it would be a nice idea to create a thread where people can share news of promising treatments, updates on vaccines, indicators of countries controlling infections and so on. Ideally let's try and back it up with sources but hopefully it provides a counterweight to the catastrophising that's going on a lot.

I'll start with (an admittedly small) clinical sample from France

Nice idea Ryan. People need hope.

Modern science is on our side!

"Queensland researcher claims HIV and anti-malaria drugs may be the cure"

That explains why there was no tonic water left in Tesco.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    "[B]That explains why there was no tonic water left in Tesco.
    Bugger i know i had forgotten an essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea

I need something a bit more optimistic to draw me away from (and stop me joining in with) the end of civilisation as we know it threads.

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

i don't have all the details but i read this morning that 2 labs in Aus have now managed to replicate the virus which is one of the big steps in the vaccine process. A U.S company is also starting initial vaccine trials.
    sometimes i think we need to give ourselves a little credit, in herds we are pretty stoopid but there are those at the front of the train dragging the rest of us along.

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    i don't have all the details but i read this morning that 2 labs in Aus have now managed to replicate the virus which is one of the big steps in the vaccine process. A U.S company is also starting initial vaccine trials.
    sometimes i think we need to give ourselves a little credit, in herds we are pretty stoopid but there are those at the front of the train dragging the rest of us along.
    Read that too
    Fingers crossed

There was a story yesterday which I thought ought to have attracted more notice.

A squad from Valencia football club had to play a match recently in Milan. They tried to isolate themselves as much as possible.

On their return they tested the entire group, playing and non-playing and discovered that despite their efforts to keep to themselves 35% were now positive - which sounds like bad news - but of that 35% not a single one was displaying symptoms - which sounds like very good news.

We already knew that CV can spread through a population very quickly, but I think this was the first indication I had read of how many people, admittedly in a very fit young sample, would be left unaffected by being infected.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...or-coronavirus

Master
    Good suggestion Ryan its good to identify a place on the forum where positive news can be placed. Instead of posting a shiny new incoming, folk can post news of a “shiny new” breakthrough.

Given the scale of the pandemic there must be hundreds of high level pharmaceutical R&D bods all over the world working flat out to develop short term solutions.

Steve

Master
    This link was posted elsewhere on one of the two COVID 19 threads that are running atm..

http://www.migal.org.il/Migal.covid

Details some very promising work being done in Israel..Hopefully they have continued to make good progress and this research is a step nearer to finding a cure/creating a working vaccine..

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    This link was posted elsewhere on one of the two COVID 19 threads that are running atm..

http://www.migal.org.il/Migal.covid

Details some very promising work being done in Israel..Hopefully they have continued to make good progress and this research is a step nearer to finding a cure/creating a working vaccine..
    As in my link, a cure has already been discovered but its not that simple.

The problem is they have to do massive trials and safety tests and fill a mountain of paperwork etc,

They have to prove it is safe, reliable and test it against other potential cures to choose the best one.

You cant just use it right after discovering a cure, it doesn't work that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    As in my link, a cure has already been discovered but its not that simple.

The problem is they have to do massive trials and safety tests and fill a mountain of paperwork etc,

They have to prove it is safe, reliable and test it against other potential cures to choose the best one.

You cant just use it right after discovering a cure, it doesn't work that way.
    It might not work that way but perhaps it should. Adults should be able to choose to take or not.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

German company Curevac are confident they will have a vaccine ready to roll out by Autumn

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtscha...-16684254.html

Article in German but Google Translate is your friend here

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It might not work that way but perhaps it should. Adults should be able to choose to take or not.
    It really shouldn't, Ian.
    First because of legal responsibilities: not only are people prone to claiming compensation when they suffered from their own mistakes, but you cannot legally take your responsibilities if you're not informed of the possible consequences and side effects.
    Second because it is a complete, scientific process, not just an admin one. First you have to find something that you think will work, then test it on different animals (you can speed this phase up). then test its toxicity on healthy human being (you don't want a vaccine that disrupt permanently your immune system for instance, by making over sensitive to something, even if it gets rid of Covid-19)... and this is just a pale vulgarisation of the real process.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Don't believe the hype.

I realised I was not positive enough in my post in this thread, so decided to change my state of mind:

The Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled!

There
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I went to school with quite a few kids that had thalidomide... I think it’s best to be sure before it’s dished out to the general population..

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Nice idea Ryan. People need hope.

Modern science is on our side!
    I'd rather have facts than hopeful wishes on the internet .

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

- but of that 35% not a single one was displaying symptoms - which sounds like very good news.
    Sounds like bad news to me... Not displaying symptoms but infected with the virus.

Wonder how many people are wondering around totally oblivious that they're carrying the virus and unknowingly spreading it.

Another day passed with no Greta Thunberg headline on my news app. Things are indeed looking up

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Another day passed with no Greta Thunberg headline on my news app. Things are indeed looking up
    I was just musing how the global recession, maybe even depression will give that young girl reason to finally smile, lighten up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I'd rather have facts than hopeful wishes on the internet .

Sounds like bad news to me... Not displaying symptoms but infected with the virus.

Wonder how many people are wondering around totally oblivious that they're carrying the virus and unknowingly spreading it.
    There are other threads available for you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    There are other threads available for you.
    This.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I went to school with quite a few kids that had thalidomide... I think it’s best to be sure before it’s dished out to the general population..
    True, but I was thinking of the drugs which are currently being prescribed for other conditions as well. They must have been passed safe so surely could be used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It really shouldn't, Ian.
    First because of legal responsibilities: not only are people prone to claiming compensation when they suffered from their own mistakes, but you cannot legally take your responsibilities if you're not informed of the possible consequences and side effects.
    Second because it is a complete, scientific process, not just an admin one. First you have to find something that you think will work, then test it on different animals (you can speed this phase up). then test its toxicity on healthy human being (you don't want a vaccine that disrupt permanently your immune system for instance, by making over sensitive to something, even if it gets rid of Covid-19)... and this is just a pale vulgarisation of the real process.
    True, but I was thinking of the drugs which are currently being prescribed for other conditions as well. They must have been passed safe so surely could be used.

Master
    They’re safe in that they’ve been tested, but having been on ritonavir back in the early days of HIV treatment, it doesn’t come without some significant side effects.

Craftsman
    Great thread Ryan was getting sick of all the doom and gloom ! Let’s be positive !

I like this. Here's my contribution:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9393991.html

A 103 year old woman survived the virus in China. There's hope for all of us.

Last edited by Max...; 18th March 2020 at 23:16.

A successful trial of Chloroquine in France

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/20...rial-professor

Journeyman
    Can't stop myself looking at the full shelves on this page. Ryan, I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea and your initial comment to do the same thing on another forum? Great idea by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    Can't stop myself looking at the full shelves on this page. Ryan, I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea and your initial comment to do the same thing on another forum? Great idea by the way
    No problem at all - some balance against all the end of the world prophecies is needed so please do :)

No new domestic cases in China today. That's great news!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    How long is that since first case ? 10-12 weeks or something? Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel and lessons to be learned in how China controlled it.

Late Nov, early Dec I think for the first cases, 15/16 weeks, either way impressive response when it finally got rolling and positive news....mid Nov according to one source.

Well end of summer should be a watershed then if we handle it correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There was a story yesterday which I thought ought to have attracted more notice.

A squad from Valencia football club had to play a match recently in Milan. They tried to isolate themselves as much as possible.

On their return they tested the entire group, playing and non-playing and discovered that despite their efforts to keep to themselves 35% were now positive - which sounds like bad news - but of that 35% not a single one was displaying symptoms - which sounds like very good news.

We already knew that CV can spread through a population very quickly, but I think this was the first indication I had read of how many people, admittedly in a very fit young sample, would be left unaffected by being infected.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...or-coronavirus
    Well, real situation in Italy is quite opposite. Too many covid positives are collapsing entire medical system which leads to death increase...and what about all the other sick people unable to get treatment, surgery, medicals...

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

A semblance of normality returning to China

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesas.../#4e1262651f24

Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    collapsing death sick
    If this is your contribution to a positivity thread, I'm wondering how your self isolation will be when the time comes?

Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    Well, real situation in Italy is quite opposite. Too many covid positives are collapsing entire medical system which leads to death increase...and what about all the other sick people unable to get treatment, surgery, medicals...

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk
    Situation will get better. Italy is dealing with all the infections from before the country-wide lockdown. It takes up to 12 days to show symptoms and then 10 days plus to sadly pass away. So deaths we saw yesterday were 'created' 3 weeks ago.

Also as another 'positive' it is obvious that hundreds of thousands are infected in Italy (reference the Valencia comment earlier). That will massively reduce the death rate but also positively these people will recover and there is more community immunity as a result.

Some interesting early indicators coming out of Singapore that COVID-19 is mutating into a less deadly strain as a result of human suppression (basically if we suppress a virus which wants to replicate then the more benign/undetectable strains will prosper). Obviously very early days so no need to kiss and cuddle each other in delight just yet (and the link is one for the boffins here) but positive anyway

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...222v1.full.pdf

Blog Entries
    Whilst it is obvious that a certain level of testing is necessary, is it REALLY necessary for antidotes that are ‘very high percentage’ safe and appear to be effective to be subject to all of the laborious mind-numbing tortoise-like crawl though a mountain of certification protocols where each and every protocol must be complied with to the absolute letter? This IS a real emergency FFS!
    Last edited by KavKav; 19th March 2020 at 16:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I like this. Here's my contribution:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9393991.html

A 103 year old woman survived the virus in China. There's hope for all of us.
    Probably treated it with some White Rhino Penis or the like.

I'm self employed, the clients I work for are starting to shut down - so, my garden will be tidy this year, the loft will be cleared, and the garage cleared of scrap metal & junk.
    I have already found an old games controller from 2002 in the loft, and successfully hooked it up to my Raspberry Pi 4.
    Every cloud has a silver lining.

Blog Entries
    Situation will get better. Italy is dealing with all the infections from before the country-wide lockdown. It takes up to 12 days to show symptoms and then 10 days plus to sadly pass away. So deaths we saw yesterday were 'created' 3 weeks ago.

Also as another 'positive' it is obvious that hundreds of thousands are infected in Italy (reference the Valencia comment earlier). That will massively reduce the death rate but also positively these people will recover and there is more community immunity as a result.
    Pretty sobering thought, that someone infected today might only have 20-25 days left.

"It's only like the flu..." they said.

(Sorry it's not good news!)
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 19th March 2020 at 18:43.

1. Of about 80,000 people sick from COVID-19 in China, more than 70% have recovered and been discharged from hospitals
    Per the World Health Organization last week, "Of the 80,000 reported COVID-19 cases in China, more than 70% have recovered and been discharged."

2. Scientists have figured out how the novel coronavirus breaks into human cells, which will help significantly in developing treatments
    After scientists revealed the first picture of how the novel coronavirus binds with human respiratory cells to produce more viruses, researchers in China have solidified images all the way down to the level of the atoms at the binding points, according to Live Science. With this news, understanding how the virus enters cells will significantly aid researchers in finding drugs and vaccines to fight the virus.

3. Due to high levels of self-quarantine, Codogno, one of the two coronavirus clusters in Italy, has reported significantly fewer infections per day
    Compared to 35 cases per day at the beginning of the outbreak, just five new infections were announced last week by Codogno's mayor, Francesco Passerini, according to the U.S. News and World Report. “It is a war. It is a war, but we have every possibility of winning,” Passerini said. “Unlike with our grandfathers, who went physically into battle for our freedom, we are being required to show responsibility — responsibility and calm.”

4. Scientists in Canada have made massive breakthroughs in an effort to develop a vaccine
    A team of Canadian scientists has finally isolated and grown copies of the coronavirus, which may now help scientists study the pathogen to develop better testing, treatments, vaccines, and gain a better understanding of its biology, the team said in a statement alongside the New York Post.

5. China is testing five different vaccine options, claiming it could have a vaccine ready by next month
    Eight different institutes in China are working on five different inoculations to battle the novel coronavirus, according to the South China Morning Post. “According to our estimates, we are hopeful that in April some of the vaccines will enter clinical research or be of use in emergency situations,” said Zheng Zhongwei, director of the National Health Commission’s Science and Technology Development Center. While it's true that it would take at least 12 to 18 months to provide a safe vaccine to general public, under Chinese law, they could be released sooner for urgent use in a major public health emergency, provided the benefits outweigh the risks, noted the New York Post.

6. Vaccination trials in the U.S. are already underway
    A trial of Moderna's vaccine has already kickstarted at Kaiser Permanente under Washington's Health Research Institute in Seattle, of which will hopefully confirm the safety of the vaccine prior to mass production.

7. A team of infectious disease experts calculated the fatality rate of Wuhan's coronavirus outbreak is about 1.4%, drastically lower than earlier estimates
    While this estimate and data applies directly to Wuhan, where the novel coronavirus outbreak began, it offers a hopeful guide to the rest of the world as it notes significantly lower estimate of earlier stats around 3%. A full breakdown of the data can be found at Stat News.

8. Distilleries across the U.S. are making their own hand sanitizers and giving it away for free
    Perhaps many Americans can calm down on the panic buying, as according to the Associated Press, distilleries across the country are using high-proof alcohol to make hand sanitizer, and divvying it out for free, or by donation to combat the novel coronavirus.

9. Air pollution has plummeted in cities with high numbers of quarantined individuals, Venice's waters are running clear
    Analysts from the Washington Post have noted a drastic decrease in major greenhouses gases over Europe as individuals self-quarantine and cars stay parked at home. While it's little comfort to a country ravaged by the novel coronavirus, it highlights the impact humans can make on the environment. "I expect pollution to drop even further as the particles in the atmosphere get either dispersed or absorbed," Emanuele Massetti, an expert on the economics of climate change at Georgia Tech University who has studied Italy's climate policies, told the Washington Post. "In a few days, they will enjoy the cleanest air ever in northern Italy."

10. A Johns Hopkins researcher has claimed antibodies from recovered coronavirus patients could help protect people at risk
    A treatment that can be made readily available under urgent circumstances, a team from Johns Hopkins alongside many other researchers are studying whether or not the antibodies of those recovered from the coronavirus could help protect at-risk humans from the virus. "Deployment of this option requires no research or development," immunologist Arturo Casadevall told Science Alert. "It could be deployed within a couple of weeks since it relies on standard blood-banking practices." Not to mention, a Japanese pharmaceutical company is nearing approval of the treatment.

11. South Korea recoveries are starting to outnumber new infections
    Facing the largest epidemic outside of China, South Korea reported more recoveries from the coronavirus than new infections on Friday for the first time since its outbreak emerged in January, as a downward trend in daily cases raised hopes that Asia's biggest epidemic outside China may be slowing, according to India Today.

12. China is getting its feet back on the ground, opening parks and athletics, loosening travel restrictions
    As the novel coronavirus comes under control in China, parks and tourist attractions have reopened across the country, alongside loosened travel restrictions. "The National Health Commission said on Thursday that the outbreak had passed its peak, and the figures appear to support its claim," said the South China Morning Post. "On Friday, authorities in mainland China reported just 11 new Covid-19 cases, of which four were in Hubei." According to ESPN, even professional basketball has reemerged in Asia.

13. China has also closed its last coronavirus hospital, not enough new cases to support them
    China has shut down all 16 temporary coronavirus hospitals in Wuhan as cases of coronavirus have began to dwindle. "The final group of 49 patients walked out of the Wuchang temporary hospital in the capital of Hubei province on Tuesday afternoon to cheers," according to the Xinhua news agency.

14. Australian researchers are in the midst of testing two drugs as cures to the virus
    Scientists in Australia claim to have identified how the body's immune system fights the novel coronavirus. Published in Nature Medicine journal on Tuesday, the research shows people are recovering from the virus like they would from the flu. "This [discovery] is important because it is the first time where we are really understanding how our immune system fights novel coronavirus," study co-author Prof Katherine Kedzierska told BBC News.

15. Numerous businesses have stepped up to solve the crisis
    Restaurants, sports, and businesses are all stepping up to combat the community effects of the novel coronavirus. The sports world is raising money for stadium employees, Uber Eats is divvying out free delivery to help independent restaurants, professional soccer players are entertaining viewers with a FIFA tournament, restaurants are doling out free food to those in need, and Bill Gates is funneling out millions of dollars to speed up development of a coronavirus treatment, to name just a few out of dozens.

16. Apple, Starbucks reopening all stores in China
    While stores and restaurants across the U.S. have closed up shop, both Apple and Starbucks have reopened all of their stores in China as the novel coronavirus spread slows across the country.

17. MetroHealthMedical Center has developed a coronavirus test that gives results in hours, not days
    "MetroHealth Medical Center becomes the first hospital in the state that can now test COVID-19 samples at its laboratory with results available after just two hours," released News 5 Cleveland. While supplies are limited, it notes a significant step toward expansive testing of the novel coronavirus.

18. Scientists in Israel have also noted the potential to annouce development of a coronavirus vaccine within weeks
    Israeli scientists are nearing development of the first vaccine to combat the novel coronavirus, according to Science and Technology Minister Ofir Akunis. The vaccine could be ready within a few weeks and available in 90 days, according to a release.

19. A San Diego biotech company is developing a coronavirus vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore
    As the race to develop a vaccine for the novel coronavirus continues globally, the San Diego-based biotech company, Arcturus Therapeutics, is working on creating one at its lab. The company is working alongside Duke NUS-Medical School, a partnership between Duke University and the National University of Singapore. While developing a vaccine that works hasn't yet proven impossible, "The major challenge with vaccines is the size of the dose and the feasibility of manufacturing," President and CEO, Joseph Payne, told CBS8.

20. A Japanese flu drug has proven effective in treating the novel coronavirus
    Zhang Xinmin, an official at China’s science and technology ministry, said favipiravir, developed by a subsidiary of Fujifilm, had produced encouraging outcomes in clinical trials in Wuhan and Shenzhen involving 340 patients, according to The Guardian. “It has a high degree of safety and is clearly effective in treatment,” Zhang told reporters on Tuesday.

21. China has reported just one new domestic coronavirus infection for a second day in a row.
    "For the second consecutive day there was only one more fresh infection in Wuhan, the central city where the virus first emerged late last year," said the National Health Commission. New cases in surrounding Hubei province have now been in the single digits for the past seven days, down from a peak of several thousand per day in early February, said Daily Mail.

22. Communities are coming together to help their neighbors
    Neighbors across the country are stepping up to make grocery runs for those who can't leave their homes. Local services have also reached out to the Seattle community to encourage those in need of help, to utilize the opportunities available to them.

23. A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19
    After being treated for less than a week, this grandma is going for the gold as the oldest coronavirus patient to recover in China, and motivating elderly across the globe to retain hope.

Craftsman
    Yep ! Hopefully rest of the world will
    Soon follow ..