closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Promising News thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Have you any links to the 'Loads of studies' re Vit D?
    There has been a lot out there on this, though inevitably given Covid's infancy it is conjectural rather than conclusive. There is a good summary by The Lancet @

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-2/fulltext

'A growing body of circumstantial evidence now also specifically links outcomes of COVID-19 and vitamin D status.'

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    There has been a lot out there on this, though inevitably given Covid's infancy it is conjectural rather than conclusive. There is a good summary by The Lancet @

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-2/fulltext

'A growing body of circumstantial evidence now also specifically links outcomes of COVID-19 and vitamin D status.'
    So no Loads of Studies evidencing anything then?

The facts are that BAME people have had poorer outcomes when contracting Covid-19. It is really important to understand why that it is.

There is circumstantial evidence that social-economic factors may also be a factor, but I wouldn't post 'Loads of studies evidence that rich people are highly likely to bat off the illness as if it wasn't even there'

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I’m glad you’ve solved the Covid-19 problem for us. Presuming that one is white, doesn’t wear sunscreen, and it isn’t lashing it down.

Marvellous.

I think I’ll stick to evidence based reasoning.
    Me too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fxw3nTZYlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oza9kjcXCRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Hnl7iRvpo

Science via YouTube? Oh, I see.

This is the ‘Good News’ thread so I won’t comment further. If you think this is good news then great.

Science via YouTube? Oh, I see.

This is the ‘Good News’ thread so I won’t comment further. If you think this is good news then great.
    No the science from doctors referencing real world studies. You obviously haven't watched the videos, you're not interested in finding out real information, you just want to win a silly argument with no reasoning at all. Bizarre. Or just swallow the screwed stats that we are drip fed from Sky/BBC etc

I know many people who have unfortunately died of other causes, but have had Covid 19 written on their death certificate. Friends and family are baffled.

Take your head out the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    No the science from doctors referencing real world studies. You obviously haven't watched the videos, you're not interested in finding out real information, you just want to win a silly argument with no reasoning at all. Bizarre. Or just swallow the screwed stats that we are drip fed from Sky/BBC etc

I know many people who have unfortunately died of other causes, but have had Covid 19 written on their death certificate. Friends and family are baffled.

Take your head out the sand.
    I watched the videos and the presenters come over a little David Icke.

Sadly, your posts are making you sound a bit of tin foil hat wearer.

I will agree that there still seems a terrible dearth of information about Coronavirus, but none of those videos really seemed to add anything of credence to it.

I'm not convinced that other causes deaths aren't being attributed to Covid, where people HAVE Covid - The continual obsession with the death rate doesn't make a lot of sense either, surely we need to be highlighting new cases to understand what is happening with regards to the measure in force and removed, but that's always relatively hard to find and unclear to what it actually relates to.

Are you a funeral director by any chance? I don't know MANY people who have died recently, whether of Covid or anything else (The one person I do know, was recorded as Covid, but to be honest she had been very ill for a long time, so it's questionable whether that was the reason she died when she did or just a complication - I don't suppose we'll ever know)

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I watched the videos and the presenters come over a little David Icke.

Sadly, your posts are making you sound a bit of tin foil hat wearer.

I will agree that there still seems a terrible dearth of information about Coronavirus, but none of those videos really seemed to add anything of credence to it.

I'm not convinced that other causes deaths aren't being attributed to Covid, where people HAVE Covid - The continual obsession with the death rate doesn't make a lot of sense either, surely we need to be highlighting new cases to understand what is happening with regards to the measure in force and removed, but that's always relatively hard to find and unclear to what it actually relates to.

Are you a funeral director by any chance? I don't know MANY people who have died recently, whether of Covid or anything else (The one person I do know, was recorded as Covid, but to be honest she had been very ill for a long time, so it's questionable whether that was the reason she died when she did or just a complication - I don't suppose we'll ever know)

M
    From your comment, you obviously didn't watch the videos at all. You've repeatedly attacked the source, and started insulting me, and completely ignored the overal message of those doctors and studies.

I am not a funeral director, due to my hobbies and job, I know a lot of people around the country and world. I do not know anyone who has died with Covid-19. I know three people who were tested NEGATIVE for Covid-19, died, and had Covid-19 written on their death certificate.

I have been playing golf now for a few weeks and every time I play I ask the other guys in my group whether they know anyone diagnosed with Covid. So far only one person has said yes and that was the mother of a guy he used to work with and she lived in Kent.

I most have played with over 25 different people of all age groups and so far that’s it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I have been playing golf now for a few weeks and every time I play I ask the other guys in my group whether they know anyone diagnosed with Covid. So far only one person has said yes and that was the mother of a guy he used to work with and she lived in Kent.

I most have played with over 25 different people of all age groups and so far that’s it.
    So are you trying to say hardly anyone catches it?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    So are you trying to say hardly anyone catches it?

Must be all the sunshine on the golf course!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/science/covi...y-breakthrough

Is there a biochemist in the house for some background info?

Menno
    Hmmm:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...States-Di.html

Nope.

Must be all the sunshine on the golf course!
    Must be something on the golf course

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If everyone posting plausible sounding BS from the internet spent the next ten minutes watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X8Xfl0JdTQ

or even this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-sGqBsWv4

If nine minutes is too long

and then went back and watched this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Hnl7iRvpo

especially the bit where he explains how you test a theory from about 24 seconds in, the world might be a better place.
    Last edited by M4tt; 17th June 2020 at 17:26.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    If everyone posting plausible sounding BS from the internet spent the next ten minutes watching this: ...............

or even this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-sGqBsWv4........................
    Seen this one before, in a nutshell...
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

On the one hand: Vitamin D: A rapid review of the evidence for treatment or prevention in COVID-19

Verdict
    We found no clinical evidence on vitamin D in COVID-19. There was no evidence related to vitamin D deficiency predisposing to COVID-19, nor were there studies of supplementation for preventing or treating COVID-19 (Search date upto 4th of April 2020, clinicaltrials.gov searched upto on 23rd April).

There is some evidence that daily vitamin D3 supplementation over weeks to months may prevent other acute respiratory infections, particularly in people with low or very low vitamin D status. This evidence has limitations, including heterogeneity in study populations, interventions, and definitions of respiratory infections that include upper and lower respiratory tract involvement...

On the other: UK public health bodies reviewing vitamin D's effects on coronavirus

Public health officials are urgently reviewing the potential ability of vitamin D to reduce the risk of coronavirus.

It comes amid growing concern over the disproportionate number of black, Asian and minority ethnic people contracting and dying from the disease, including a reported 94% of all doctors killed by the virus.

A delayed Public Health England review into the reasons why BAME people are disproportionately affected, which pointed to historical racism, did not review the role of diet and vitamin D.

The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) began this work last month and is considering recent evidence on vitamin D and acute respiratory tract infection in the general population. Evidence will be considered on specific population groups, including those of different ages and BAME groups.

In a parallel development, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) is conducting a “rapid” evidence review on vitamin D “in the context of Covid-19” with support from Public Health England (PHE).

It is understood the reviews will be published in the coming weeks. The Nice review may be used alongside other available information, such as specific patient circumstances, to inform individual healthcare decisions.

UK vitamin D advice is focused on musculoskeletal health conditions such as rickets and there are fears that its effect on general immune systems has been overlooked...

Can we agree on a verdict of 'Not Proven'?

Blog Entries
    No casualties today here in The Netherlands. Zero people have died as a result of corona in the last 24 hrs. First time in 3 months that we're 'clean' and (only) 2 persons are hospitalized during the last 24 hrs.

Things look good overhere. But we're not 'home' yet, I suppose.
    Last edited by thieuster; 22nd June 2020 at 13:33.

No casualties today. Zero people have died as a result of corona in the last 24 hrs. First time in 3 months that we're 'clean' and (only) 2 persons are hospitalized during the last 24 hrs.

I'm guessing you're either in Switzerland, Germany or Netherlands? Noticed that those 3 countries have reported 0 deaths in the past 24 hours.
    That's definitely good news though.

Edit: ah you mentioned Netherlands

No casualties today here in The Netherlands. Zero people have died as a result of corona in the last 24 hrs. First time in 3 months that we're 'clean' and (only) 2 persons are hospitalized during the last 24 hrs.

Great news.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    I'm guessing you're either in Switzerland, Germany or Netherlands? Noticed that those 3 countries have reported 0 deaths in the past 24 hours.
    That's definitely good news though.

Edit: ah you mentioned Netherlands
    Netherlands, indeed. Despite the low numbers, Germany faces a problem: the current R0-number is >1. That hasn't happened in a while! Lots of people infected who work in a meat packing plant: 1300/2000 employees... And authorities even blocked of a complete apartment building in Göttingen https://www.dw.com/en/germany-göttin...rus/a-53756887

They're not out of the woods yet!

Menno

Isn’t Germany’s huge increase in R down to the low numbers of infections then a sudden outbreak at a factory tripling the numbers overnight? The U.K R may be 3 times lower but I would happily swap for the current German numbers as less cases and less likely deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Isn’t Germany’s huge increase in R down to the low numbers of infections then a sudden outbreak at a factory tripling the numbers overnight? The U.K R may be 3 times lower but I would happily swap for the current German numbers as less cases and less likely deaths.
    Yes, seems odd way to calculate/report R. There's a locally high R but in most places it's still below 1.

Blog Entries
    Seeing the scenes on the beaches this week, I don’t think we’ll have much good news about the R number in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Seeing the scenes on the beaches this week, I don’t think we’ll have much good news about the R number in the near future.

Indeed. Also, just walking about locally there's far more people about, which isn't a problem per se, but distancing seems to be waning and mingling is on the up. So I think there may well be some steep local spikes due to the moronic behaviour seen at the coast etc (although in reality it was a minority on a national scale) and a more general upswing in cases nationally. I can see localised lockdowns happening, perhaps more stringent than the lockdown light we've had so far. All this before we know how people will behave on the Glorious 4th and thereafter. I truly hope I've got all this wrong.
    F.T.F.A.

Promising news thread....

Master
    Well, I suppose it’s good news that we don’t appear to have seen the ‘spikes’ or second waves many were predicting after the Dorset beach scenes, BLM protests, allowing the creation of bubbles and the shops reopening.

I think it’s good news that despite the headlines and shocking pictures, my own observations show that the majority of people’s behaviour has changed and social distancing is being respected. Most of us are responding to the calls to be vigilant.

In other personal good news, one of the benefits of owning a full electric car is that I’ve not had to go to a petrol station for over a year now, my own personal ‘fuel’ pump being behind my house on the wall. If you can, buy one!

Blog Entries
    Promising news thread....
    Did you not see the previous posts referring to the R number? Or did you think they were ‘promising news’ perhaps?

Did you not see the previous posts referring to the R number? Or did you think they were ‘promising news’ perhaps?
    The positive news thread makes me happy, arguing with you does not.

Blog Entries
    The positive news thread makes me happy, arguing with you does not.
    Strange you never seem to miss an opportunity to do so then. :-)

Blog Entries
    Sorry - not sure where to post this...

I was pretty certain I had COVID back in March... wasn't a huge deal (had one day of fever, a sore throat, and a cough... also felt quite tired) symptoms lasted for about 8-10 days... no time off work (at home!) and generally OK to function quite normally... I have had trickier colds frankly... I was supremely careful to isolate me and my and family - my wife had similar symptoms and my daughter was sent home from school with a temperature...

A friend of mine is a social worker encouraged me to apply for a therapeutic blood plasma programme, so, i did my civic duty and signed up. as i am male and 35+ i got the call and went in last week and did a sample donation.

I got a note a letter today stating "When we tested the levels of COVID-19 antibodies in your blood we discovered that they were below what is currently below what is currently thought to be necessary to treat patients"

A shame really, as i would like to have helped. Turns out that only 34% of people on this scheme have antibodies high enough...

Is it reasonable to deduce from the note that I have had it? otherwise they would presumably have put that I didn't have any antibodies. How might I find out definitively?

Also, is there any good news for us coming out the other end of this? is there any evidence of us being immune to a degree... from what i have read, it is still proceed with caution (which i will do), but, is there any evidence building up either way?

Any thoughts gratefully received...

Ben

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Cannot you ask for the test results? They may well have been copied to your GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I got a note a letter today stating "When we tested the levels of COVID-19 antibodies in your blood we discovered that they were below what is currently below what is currently thought to be necessary to treat patients"

A shame really, as i would like to have helped. Turns out that only 34% of people on this scheme have antibodies high enough...

Is it reasonable to deduce from the note that I have had it? otherwise they would presumably have put that I didn't have any antibodies. How might I find out definitively?

Also, is there any good news for us coming out the other end of this? is there any evidence of us being immune to a degree... from what i have read, it is still proceed with caution (which i will do), but, is there any evidence building up either way?

Any thoughts gratefully received...

Ben
    Well the good news is it sounds like you have some antibodies. It might not be enough for treatment but hopefully it's enough to ward off personal infections to the virus.

Can you ask for more details or numbers on your antibodies analysis?

I haven't really been reading this thread, I've been going to work on Covid wards and operating on the infected.

The promising news I have is that in my Trust (2 medium sized hospitals) there hasn't been a Covid death for 10 straight days now and there have been 2 deaths in the last 23 days.

The head of our ITUs, in his webinar yesterday, said they hadn't admitted anyone to ITU with SARS-CoV-2 for over a month

Quite a few of my colleagues have tested positive for antibodies having had zero symptoms whatsoever and were very surprised by the results

And I admitted a lady with SARS-CoV-2 yesterday with a hip fracture. (OK not promising)

I wouldn’t assume from what was said you have any antibodies, just that they’re below a certain threshold.

Also, they may not have the resources to discuss individual test results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I wouldn’t assume from what was said you have any antibodies, just that they’re below a certain threshold.

Also, they may not have the resources to discuss individual test results.
    It would be a hugely misleading statement (potentially dangerously so) if there was a complete absence of antibodies I would have thought? Even 30% people admitted to hospital with COVID don’t have the requisite amount of antibodies to donate plasma….

It did make me scratch my head though (hence the post!)…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    I haven't really been reading this thread, I've been going to work on Covid wards and operating on the infected.

The promising news I have is that in my Trust (2 medium sized hospitals) there hasn't been a Covid death for 10 straight days now and there have been 2 deaths in the last 23 days.

The head of our ITUs, in his webinar yesterday, said they hadn't admitted anyone to ITU with SARS-CoV-2 for over a month

Quite a few of my colleagues have tested positive for antibodies having had zero symptoms whatsoever and were very surprised by the results

And I admitted a lady with SARS-CoV-2 yesterday with a hip fracture. (OK not promising)
    That is good news…. And you’re doing a sterling job I’m sure :-)

It’s definitely on a downwards trend and I’m glad you and your colleagues are starting to draw breath a little…

Unless you live near me ! (Leicestershire!)

It would be a hugely misleading statement (potentially dangerously so) if there was a complete absence of antibodies I would have thought? Even 30% people admitted to hospital with COVID don’t have the requisite amount of antibodies to donate plasma….

It did make me scratch my head though (hence the post!)…
    Perhaps open to misinterpretation but I took it to mean as I’ve suggested.

Maybe you never had COVID after all?

Cases are rising exponentially in the US particularly through end May and June

Covid deaths in USA in May - 42k
    Covid deaths in USA in June - 21k

Something seems to be making it less lethal

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Or they’re juking the stats.

Webinar

Sorry for the late notice, but my colleagues at Imperial are hosting a webinar this afternoon that may be of interest:

https://www.synbitech.com/synbitech-live-6th-july-2020

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Does anybody know when the roche antibody tests will be available to the public?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

A friend of a friend, who is a GP, has told my friend the virus is becoming less lethal as it mutates. Not sure if relevant to this.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    A friend of a friend, who is a GP, has told my friend the virus is becoming less lethal as it mutates. Not sure if relevant to this.
    I remember someone saying that was the 'usual pattern' for viruses in an interview a couple of months ago.

I was pretty certain I had COVID back in March... wasn't a huge deal (had one day of fever, a sore throat, and a cough... also felt quite tired) symptoms lasted for about 8-10 days... no time off work (at home!) and generally OK to function quite normally... I have had trickier colds frankly...
    I had similar symptoms in February for about 5 days, as did my daughter (who doesn't live with us anymore), albeit hers were more prolonged and severe (well, less mild, perhaps).

This was before it all kicked off and we put it down to 'a bug' - I actually went out and got fresh air, thinking it would help, and it probably did, a bit.

Whether it WAS Covid or not, neither of us can say, my daughter said there were reports of 'something else going around then'.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th July 2020 at 14:06.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think I had it, but nov/dec 19.
    I really want to see if this was the case or not, but it took 2 courses of prednisolone, gp said no antibiotics as it was a virus, went on for over a month, had the sweats, aches, awful breathing and dry cough for a fortnight/3 weeks which morphed into like a glue mucus which I complained to mrsv about and called "gluey", which later was described as a specific Covid related symptom. Totally f***ed me for about 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Does anybody know when the roche antibody tests will be available to the public?
    Lloyds sell the Abbott test...link. They're out of stock at the moment but that's the other one that is approved by PHE (pdf link). I'm not sure if others have been approved since those two...link.

Edit Another source for the Abbott test in London...link.

And I now see your problem. Roche have specifically prohibited using their test unless a full blood sample is taken by a medical professional. The clinics are taking the path of least resistance and only offering the Abbott test.
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th July 2020 at 15:46.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought that Roche was the only test considered to be accurate?
    (sorry this might be out of date advice now)

Pretty sure i had it back in mid March, me and another fella at work came down with 'something' the first week we started working from home, the week before lockdown started. Both had fevers, both had 'digestive system issues' and he had a cough. My fever lasted a day and the tummy issues 6 days, at the time there were no reports of tummy problems, so i dismissed it, but as the week went on, news of tummy trouble being a common symptom in Wuhan began to emerge, so i started to wonder.

We had a huge outbreak at work in May, we were both in the week that is thought to have done the damage and we were both pretty much the only people in that week that didn't catch it, despite prolonged contact with the 2 known 'patient zero's'

There are other corona viruses out there all with flu like symptoms, most people who think they have had CV19 probably had 229E, NL63, OC43 or HKU1.

There are other corona viruses out there all with flu like symptoms, most people who think they have had CV19 probably had 229E, NL63, OC43 or HKU1.
    I've no idea what those other viruses are but I will say that I have many friends in the US who were convinced they had CV19 but when they had the tests, none of them had had it (and no one they knew tested positive either). A small sample admittedly.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, im sure thats the case. But id still buy a test to find out.