closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster 300m: 2531.80.00 or something else?

Master

Omega Seamaster 300m: 2531.80.00 or something else?

Evening gents,

After a half year without a watch, I am thinking about buying one again. The question is, what watch? My budget is about EUR 2.500. I don't feel comfortable anymore to spent as much to buy a Submariner like I had before.

A second hand is oke. It has to have a second hand. I am drawn to sports watches and at last I am a one watch guy.

I am thinking about a Seamaster 300m: 2531.80.00, but I am open for other suggestions. What do you guys think?

Craftsman
    Half a year break! Wow that's a long break but it seems you have the bug again.

You can't go wrong with a Seamaster, a great all round watch. If you've found one you like, I'd pull the trigger.

One of the cheapest true classics available. One of the best value for money watches for sure.

This is mine. I've owned it since 2007 or so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    One of the cheapest true classics available. One of the best value for money watches for sure.

That is exactly my thought: best value for money and still avaiable for a normal price.

Great example you have over there!

Craftsman
    Similar but sufficiently different, the 2254.50

Last edited by andyd30; 17th March 2020 at 23:00.

Master
    Your budget should get you a mint 2531.80.00 or 2254.50.00 and, for this money, is probably the nicest classic you can buy. Both still very good value IMO......just compare the current models.

Along with the two above which you can't go wrong with, I'd throw a Gen 1 Planet Ocean 2201 into the mix. 42mm with a less bling bracelet than the 2541 and a little bit more substanstial than the 2254

Apprentice
    it really depends what you like more.

Do you only consider Seamasters?
    I believe that the newest 300m is the nicest in terms of luxury, movement and finishing. But the 253180 wears the best! I have the latter one.

Speedy? PO? or maybe you want something outside Omega?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Along with the two above which you can't go wrong with, I'd throw a Gen 1 Planet Ocean 2201 into the mix. 42mm with a less bling bracelet than the 2541 and a little bit more substanstial than the 2254
    The first generation 42mm PO is a nice watch but the 2254.50/2531.80 are the classics and much less bulky on the wrists and just easier to live with. I actually have all three of them and the 2254.50 is the favourite but the Bond remains the classic Seamaster.
    If going for the 2531.80, Bond Seamaster I would look for one with the earlier ‘painted’ marker dial, rather than the applied markers. Maybe just me but I think it looks best.
    Last edited by TomGW; 18th March 2020 at 15:41.

Maybe a stretch outside your budget. But new & similar to the Sub a Tudor BB58. Sure to be a classic & VFM.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    The first generation 42mm PO is a nice watch but the 2254.50/2531.80 are the classics and much less bulky on the wrists and just easier to live with.

I wouldn't say the 2201.50 wasn't a classis... perhaps not as much as the others (yet), but it's getting there. The bulkiness I mentioned, but it is not difficult to live with IMO

I actually have all three of them and the 2254.50 is the favourite but the Bond remains the classic Seamaster.

I've had all three but got rid of the 2254. Couldn't gel with it on the wrist.

If going for the 2531.80, Bond Seamaster I would look for one with the earlier ‘painted’ marker dial, rather than the applied markers. Maybe just me but I think it looks best.
    That'd be the 2220.80. I've had both but got rid of the 2220. I sometimes wonder if it were the right choice?

The above just goes to show that none of us have the correct answer and the only thing the OP can do is try them on and then make the decision.

Master
    At last. After almost a year without a watch, I bought a Seamaster 2231.80.00. Almost like new and al the bits and pieces. Feels great to wear a watch again!

Master
    ...and a little bit more substanstial than the 2254
    What are the dimensions on the 2254? Having a smaller wrist, less substantial sounds appealing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    At last. After almost a year without a watch, I bought a Seamaster 2231.80.00. Almost like new and al the bits and pieces. Feels great to wear a watch again!
    Congratulations on the new acquisition, if I’m not mistaken, the titanium version of the 2255 Electric Blue ?

My first great watch back in 2004 was the 2254, thought I’d keep it forever

Have missed owning a Seamaster for a while now so just picked up a lovely 2255 via a WTB. Superb watches, I’ve had most of the variations over the years and the Electric Blue is my fave. Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post

Not many examples look like that these days. Most could be best described as horological wreckage.

The 2531.80 was my first luxury watch. So comfortable, cracking watch. Shame I moved it on a year later

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Congratulations on the new acquisition, if I’m not mistaken, the titanium version of the 2255 Electric Blue ?

My first great watch back in 2004 was the 2254, thought I’d keep it forever

Have missed owning a Seamaster for a while now so just picked up a lovely 2255 via a WTB. Superb watches, I’ve had most of the variations over the years and the Electric Blue is my fave. Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes indeed. It is the Electric Blue in titanium, with titanium Bond bracelet. It has the perfect size for my small wrist and it wears really well because of it’s low weight. Great watch!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    What are the dimensions on the 2254? Having a smaller wrist, less substantial sounds appealing.
    41mm excluding crown, and around 12mm thick.

Master
    41mm excluding crown, and around 12mm thick.
    2254 and 2531 share the same case size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    Not many examples look like that these days. Most could be best described as horological wreckage.

The 2531.80 was my first luxury watch. So comfortable, cracking watch. Shame I moved it on a year later
    Hahaha mine certainly doesn't look like that one but I agree on the comfort part.
    Mine is bang on in that department