closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: XBox One Game recommendations

Master

XBox One Game recommendations

Right, looking for suggestions to pass the time while I self Isolate ( severely compromised immune system).
    I'm 53 and never really got into the gaming scene beyond Sega Megadrive. I did however treat myself to an Xbox One
    for Christmas 2018 because it came with Forza and I could drive around Edinburgh and in particular crash into one of my
    former employer's offices !!!
    Looking for maybe a fun racing game that I could challenge my daughters to (sent home from Uni), or something strategic.
    Lastly - for on my own, something I could shoot the crap out of.
    Any suggestions gratefully received,

maseman

Gears of War 4 and 5, call of duty black ops 4.

Games these days are much better online where you kill other human players which is fun when you get good enough to hold your own.

But at first you get completely destroyed by far higher skill players.

Grand Theft Auto V is about £12 at the moment and must be the best £/hr entertainment ever - driving, shooting, amazing singleplayer and multiplayer - everything in one!

I’ve got an Xbox but sadly find most games don’t interest me in the slightest these days - I would also recommend Hitman though and any of the recent Far Cry games both as really good escapism

- - - Updated - - -

PS - sorry to hear you’re having to self isolate, hope you can stay virus free and manage to find ways to pass the time comfortably

Master
    Forza Horizon of one version or the other 3 and 4 are fun
    COD Warzone is a free Battle Royale game though runs the worse on XB1
    The Division (or Div 2) is cheap and the initial stuff up to end game is excellent
    Battlefield 1 or V if you want a relatively cheap shooter

Or just pony up for Gamepass for a few months and then you will have shedloads to play (you will get the Forza games and Gears of War in that). Similarly EA Access is £20 for a year and you will get Battlefield and the StarWars Battlezone and other to play. TBH these latter things are the cheap way just to play loads and have a decent variety to try. No brainer really.

Yep - game pass is a superb shout, just had a quick look and GTA V is on there as well now so definitely gets my vote

Also, if a couple of you are playing together please have a go on Overcooked 2, brilliantly fun and addictive

Untitled goose game is worth a play too in my opinion

Master
    Red dead redemption if you just want to wander around the old West. Great escapism and a reminder of what American was like just 140 years or so ago...

Master
    Thanks for the suggestions guys - hopefully I'll get on to it. Haven't been able to get near it since my girls downloaded Sims 4 !!!!

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys - hopefully I'll get on to it. Haven't been able to get near it since my girls downloaded Sims 4 !!!!

maseman

Forza 4

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/games/fh4

Master
    Ghost Recon Breakpoint has kept me entertained for some time now. A game you can take at your own pace with plenty to get through.

If you’re into single player shooters with a good campaign and story (and no multiplayer nonsense), you could do a lot worse than the new Wolfenstein series - The New Order and The New Colossus. They’re set in a counterfactual world in which the nazis won WW2. Not the latest or greatest games I suppose, but really, really good for single player blasting.

Craftsman
    Halo master chief collection has the first four in one box.

Sea of Thieves is great fun. It’s a multiplayer pirate game. You get to sail the seas with friends or randoms, raid treasure islands, board other ships etc. If you happen to have 2 XBoxes or an XBox and a PC you could crew a 2 person ship with your daughter. Sea of Thieves also has the best water graphics of any game I’ve ever played.

Master
    List of current GamePass games is https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass/games All 264 of them. Some big games in there inc many from the above posts

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Ghost Recon Breakpoint has kept me entertained for some time now. A game you can take at your own pace with plenty to get through.
    I'm not getting on with Breakpoint , loved Ghost Recon Wildlands though , also Far Cry 5 and New Dawn are a lot of fun and good progression meaning if you are that good at gaming you can still play and not get stuck

The older Assasin Creeds are good AC4 the pirate one is my favourite game of all time , my close seconds are the Fable Series that are free on gamepass

With reference to Sea of Thieves, if you have Xbox Gold membership (not Xbox game pass) it is free to play this weekend. Gives you a chance to try before you buy.

I was having a look last night and I think there’s currently a great offer for games pass

Normal gold 1 yr membership is c£38 (code from cd-keys)

Ultimate (gold + game pass) appears to be £60 per year

If you just have the gold membership and not yet a game pass, you can do a £1 trial - and if so, apparently it converts your existing gold membership to ultimate

So you can load up 3 years worth of normal gold memberships and then convert the whole lot to ultimate for only £1, saving c£60 (albeit not great cash flow wise!!)

I'd definitely agree with above regarding Gamepass. Well worth it even at full up price, but they usually have offers on eg. £1 for first month etc.

Game wise, I'd echo above, any of the COD or gears of war franchise. Battlefield is also a great FPS.

If you like killing zombies and not thinking about much, Zombie Army Trilogy is worth a go.

If you like RPG's any of the Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls franchise will definitely pass some days!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We play Battlefield V online on a Friday night - it's not as fun as Battlefield 4, but the recent Pacific maps have made it fun again. The only annoyance is that there still bugs, and the Time to Die settings keep being "tweeked".
    However, it's miles better than Battlefield 1 which was terrible :( - I also play COD but prefer Battlefield

Journeyman
    Some really good recommendations on here and everyone has a different game that really does it for them , just depends what you like but I have to second what scott594 mentioned , Zombie army trilogy , no nonsense shooter that is a proper challenge at the hardest level but get a good team of 4 and its hard to beat. Very underrated game .

Master
    A game I thought I'd hate, but I really enjoy far cry primal. The map is so stunning that at times you can just wander around doing nothing, as if you were taking a stroll.

Craftsman
    I've just started to get into fortnite. I know I'm probably late to the party on this one but seeing as my son plays it he has been trying to get me to play also. I'm finding it quite fun, fast paced online multiplayer, great fun playing solo or or teams, duos, trios squads etc :)

I’m not into zombies myself, but the makers of the recommended Zombie Army series have also the Sniper Elite series. Sniper Elite 4 is by far my favourite shooting game. The makers are a British outfit to boot, a company called Rebellion.

Disclaimer: I’m on PlayStation and I enjoy the lively online co-op scene very much. I have no idea if there are players on xbox servers.

Craftsman
    What every racing game needs, I think, is a MS 360 force feedback wheel. They dont work of course, but I believe that I have found a device that will make them work on an Xbox One, with the addition of a 360 controller USB adapter, with all FF features operating.

The adapter device costs about £80 BUT... the used wheels can be bought very cheaply now and theyre far better (in my opinion/experience) than current wheels.

Craftsman
    Forza Horizon 4 appears to have doubled in price, like a SportsDirect treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    I was having a look last night and I think there’s currently a great offer for games pass

Normal gold 1 yr membership is c£38 (code from cd-keys)

Ultimate (gold + game pass) appears to be £60 per year

If you just have the gold membership and not yet a game pass, you can do a £1 trial - and if so, apparently it converts your existing gold membership to ultimate

So you can load up 3 years worth of normal gold memberships and then convert the whole lot to ultimate for only £1, saving c£60 (albeit not great cash flow wise!!)
    I just had a look and I can upgrade my current (paid yearly £49.99) gold membership to Ultimate for £1 for the first month and then its £10.99 per month (I assume this is in lieu of my gold membership).

So I guess I would end up paying £1 the first month and then £120.89 for the remaining 11 months? Seems a lot to me unless you are serious gamer?

There’s an explain on this site, US version but worked as described for me on a UK account a week or so ago
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/18/1...-months-how-to

I loaded up two years worth of Gold and it converted to ultimate for the £1, will cancel the auto renew between now and 2022

There’s an explain on this site, US version but worked as described for me on a UK account a week or so ago
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/18/1...-months-how-to

I loaded up two years worth of Gold and it converted to ultimate for the £1, will cancel the auto renew between now and 2022
    Many thanks for that.. so this what I did..
    (1) I had pre-paid CC Xbox Gold Live membership until 5th May.
    (2) Cancelled recurring CC payment, so now says Xbox Gold Live membership will expire 5th May.
    (3) Bought 2x12 months and 1x6 months digital xbox Gold Live memberships.
    (4) Redeemed the codes on my Xbox Live account and now says I have Xbox Gold Live membership until Dec 2022.
    (5) subscribed to the £1 first month Xbox Ultimate Subscription, selected by CC as payment.
    (6) Cancelled recurring CC payment, so now says Xbox Ultimate membership will expire Dec 2022 !!

Now I just had an email from Microsoft
    "We've charged £1.00 to Visa **1003 for your first first month of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. For a full breakdown of charges, see your order details.

You'll be billed every month at £10.99 until you cancel. We'll email you ahead of time if that price ever changes"

I assume that I have now cancelled the recurring payment, I now don't pay anything else until Dec 2022?? - Is this correct??

Great stuff - yep that’s basically what I did, certainly shouldn’t get billed again if you’ve cancelled the subscription

Now enjoy! And let us know if you find any gems

I’d echo the above that sniper elite is good fun

Great stuff - yep that’s basically what I did, certainly shouldn’t get billed again if you’ve cancelled the subscription

Now enjoy! And let us know if you find any gems

I’d echo the above that sniper elite is good fun
    Many Thanks for highlighting the offer :) I do like being a sniper in Battlefield :)

The Division, quite fitting at the moment.

Craftsman
    Might not be to everyone’s taste but wife and I recently got an xbox one x and played through Lego Jurassic park on co-op.

Corny and an old game by name but it was something to do together.

We’re looking for another co-op game now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favourites are the Lego Starwars series games.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I believe the strategic part of the opening post has been overlooked. Civilization VI is available on xbox. A better turn-based strategy game is hard to find. Be warned that it’s highly addictive. I would prefer to play with mouse and keyboard rather than a controller though. If your lap-/desktop can handle it I’d suggest acquiring it for that platform.

I'm playing COD non-stop at the minute.

If you want some multiplayer co op my ID is guzelmisin.

Red face

Witcher 3 is excellent, as is Doom Eternal. :)

We’re now a month on since some of you guys signed up for the £1 deal. Is it all still working without additional payment?
    Thinking of signing up myself now.

I’ve been enjoying several weeks of game pass, all worked out for me as hoped, no further charges - thoroughly recommend

My wife is for some reason not very impressed by me coming to bed late after sessions with mates running into the early hours though!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Witcher 3 is excellent, as is Doom Eternal. :)
    I heartily endorse the recommendation for Witcher 3. It’s is the game of last decade imho.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

XBox One Game recommendations

Ok, you’ve made me do it. Now upgraded for £1 and showing renewal in 12 months, despite mightily confusing messages in the process. Currently downloading Witcher 3, Hello Neighbour and a couple of others. Download time for Witcher, currently showing 3hrs 3 minutes :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't believe no one has mentioned Borderlands 3.

Awesome looter / shooter that I have played almost every day since the end of November

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Ok, you’ve made me do it. Now upgraded for £1 and showing renewal in 12 months, despite mightily confusing messages in the process. Currently downloading Witcher 3, Hello Neighbour and a couple of others. Download time for Witcher, currently showing 3hrs 3 minutes :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Also worth noting that Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to game pass from tomorrow (7th May)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Also worth noting that Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to game pass from tomorrow (7th May)

Mark
    Sad thing about that is GTA V is leaving game pass at same time

If useful to anyone though, there’s a great deal for GTA at the moment on cd-keys for the premium edition plus a ‘whale shark’ for £19, that with the current promos in game get you a whole boat load of virtual currency (c$6m) for a fraction of what it would cost to buy if you were inclined

(I’ve always been against games using virtual currency before, but having played a fair bit of online recently I can see that other people certainly don’t take same approach! From reading a bit I see that it’s an important income stream to rockstar to be able to keep building out more and more content for free for these games though)

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I believe the strategic part of the opening post has been overlooked. Civilization VI is available on xbox. A better turn-based strategy game is hard to find. Be warned that it’s highly addictive. I would prefer to play with mouse and keyboard rather than a controller though. If your lap-/desktop can handle it I’d suggest acquiring it for that platform.
    I’d like to get back to this ’cause Civilization VI is available gratis for PC at the Epic Games Store until next thursday.