closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The business of the virus

Back to topic: the business of the virus.

Consider AlphaBioLabs, a small private service in northwestern England that was, until now, probably best known for carrying out DNA tests on “The Jeremy Kyle Show,” a tabloid-style daytime TV program in Britain that was canceled last year.
    In a statement published on March 20, the lab said it had been “shocked and saddened to receive so many desperate inquiries from front-line organizations, such as the N.H.S., needing the Covid-19 screening test.” The company pledged to sell its “initial stock” to the National Health Service at cost, but did not say how many testing kits that included.
    Three days earlier, AlphaBioLabs — which has since stopped marketing the test to the public — had announced that it would be selling its kit for £125. One newspaper hailed the news with the headline: “Brit lab’s new finger-prick test can ‘detect virus in 15 minutes.’” But the British lab did not create the test. The one advertised on its website was made by an American company, BioMedomics. Each kit costs around $2 to manufacture and no more than $9 to buy wholesale.
    (...) Dr. Ali, who runs the Private Harley Street Clinic in London, said he was unrepentant about his trading, after taking orders for nearly 7,000 tests at £375 each. He said he had donated 100 tests to the N.H.S. “I’m entirely comfortable with the price, and if somebody else wants to offer it for less, that’s fine,” he said in an interview. “I believe the people should be tested, so I’m going to offer it.” What Dr. Ali is offering for that £375 takes some explanation.
    The Private Harley Street Clinic does not manufacture the coronavirus test kits, nor does it distribute them or process any test results. Yet it has sold the testing kits for more than three times the £120 that the manufacturer, Randox Laboratories in Northern Ireland, charges the public directly. Once ordered on the Private Harley Street Clinic website, the tests are shipped from Randox directly to customers without ever passing through the clinic. Dr. Ali declined to say what he paid for the kits and claimed not to know what profit he had made, but he said that his price included clinical advice.
    Private Harley Street Clinic’s main asset appears to be the marketing value its name brings through an association with the renowned medical street in London — despite company records showing that the “clinic” is actually based at Dr. Ali’s apartment, miles away in North London. The firm was incorporated in 2017 shortly after Dr. Ali’s two previous companies, which had almost identical names, were struck off the government’s register of companies for failing to provide required financial data. Private Harley Street Clinic was also threatened with being struck off until it posted financial accounts last summer, which showed that it had total net assets of less than £200.
    Dr. Ali said that his clinic had delivered orders for tests worth £1 million so far and that he had been so overwhelmed with requests that he had been forced to hire temporary employees to take calls. The doctor said he planned to hire more staff members this week to help cope with the surge.
    (...) Other kits, however, are just fraudulent. Last week, the European Anti-Fraud Office began an inquiry into fake coronavirus products, including counterfeit test kits, masks, medical devices and sanitizers, that were being sold around the world for “potentially huge illicit profits.” A few days after the investigation was opened, a 59-year-old man, Frank Ludlow, appeared in court in Brighton, southern England, accused of making fake kits that he had touted as a treatment for the novel coronavirus but that actually contained potentially harmful chemicals. He was arrested after the law enforcement authorities in Los Angeles intercepted a package containing 60 of the fake kits.
    NY Times

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Nope.

In simple terms, it's the same as receiving a monthly salary and having to pay taxes on that month by month rather than having the opportunity of paying it at the beginning of next year.
    Nope.
    It's a payment on account.
    In simple terms HMRC are saying that you earned that money last tax year so we fully expect you to earn the same this tax year and we want it up front.
    If you don't earn the same of course you will be in credit for that tax year.
    I actually prefer it that way as it lessens the burden of a large tax bill in January or if you have had a lean year gives you a "tax savings account" to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Nope.
    It's a payment on account.
    In simple terms HMRC are saying that you earned that money last tax year so we fully expect you to earn the same this tax year and we want it up front.
    If you don't earn the same of course you will be in credit for that tax year.
    I actually prefer it that way as it lessens the burden of a large tax bill in January or if you have had a lean year gives you a "tax savings account" to fall back on.
    That obviously works both ways, if you are earning more you have the benefit of having to pay later.

A salaried employee will in similar fashion do monthly downpayments, while the final tax bill is only determined when the tax declaration has been filed at the beginning of the next year. Only difference is that the monthly payments are based on actual rather than estimated income.

^^^
    Riley, it’s a shame you’ve quoted what’s he said, as I have to read it.
    The only member I’ve actually put on ignore list/block.

I agree with you somewhat, it’s painful to pay at the time, and have the lump to pay in July, but trying to find the whole lot in January... as well as you know, self employed are not guaranteed income.

So income over 50k - you get nothing
    So self employed less than 3 yrs you get nothing

And next year you will probably pay a higher self employed rate of NI to pay for the help you are not getting. Great.

The business of the virus

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    So income over 50k - you get nothing
    So self employed less than 3 yrs you get nothing

And next year you will probably pay a higher self employed rate of NI to pay for the help you are not getting. Great.
    Self-employed <3 years you will still get something.

(Obviously other criteria still being met.)
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 26th March 2020 at 21:17.

Revisiting this thread as it’s been a couple of months now.

How are we all doing?

still no help from the government for Company Directors, our staff are protected now until October but with us working every hour god sends to keep the business afloat for little to no gain will the staff have something to come back to?

I can’t help but feel there are millions of furloughed people out there at the moment who are unemployed, they just don’t know it yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    I can’t help but feel there are millions of furloughed people out there at the moment who are unemployed, they just don’t know it yet.....
    That's crossed my mind quite a few times of late.

Company Director myself, can't furlough staff as we need "every man at the pump" so to speak. On paper our business is very healthy and we were on target for a "bumper" year, however cash flow has DIED, no salary for myself or my business partner and only option we have available is to seriously consider the BBL to protect the business and employees.

Luckily the world appears to being cranking back into operation and money can start flowing once again (fingers crossed). If this lockdown continues for any longer, I dread how many businesses will not make it, myself included!

The words of my bank manager when we started our business 20 years ago have come back to haunt me daily;

Only 3 words of advice I can give to you Jason - Cashflow, Cashflow, Cashflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    That's crossed my mind quite a few times of late.

Company Director myself, can't furlough staff as we need "every man at the pump" so to speak. On paper our business is very healthy and we were on target for a "bumper" year, however cash flow has DIED, no salary for myself or my business partner and only option we have available is to seriously consider the BBL to protect the business and employees.

Luckily the world appears to being cranking back into operation and money can start flowing once again (fingers crossed). If this lockdown continues for any longer, I dread how many businesses will not make it, myself included!

The words of my bank manager when we started our business 20 years ago have come back to haunt me daily;

Only 3 words of advice I can give to you Jason - Cashflow, Cashflow, Cashflow.
    Isn’t that one word repeated 3 times?

(Sorry!)