closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watches you will buy when the bottom falls out of the market

Watches you will buy when the bottom falls out of the market

Speaking with a fellow member, I think this should be a fun one!

If/when the a*se falls out of the market, what watches are you eyeing up? I've got an Urwerk on the radar, but be interested to see what brands and watches you're cheekily thinking you'll be able to get on the cheap!

Journeyman
    I’m sure I’ll be able to bag a Jacob & Co piece for a couple of quid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm looking for a 6105 8110 Proof/Proof and a 6105 8000 Proof/Proof

I'm hoping the Casio F91 will hit sub £5.

Master
    H Moser for a bag of sand and I'm in.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Any 9f grand seiko plus 5 digit GMT if they drop enough.

Genuinely it would be some kind of limited Speedmaster. I sold my hesalite moonwatch (the first proper watch i ever bought) and have never really recovered.

Possibly the new 321 / ultraman / tintin

Journeyman
    All of them! But in reality maybe a polar 16570 for possibly up to a hundred quid less then I'd get it today. If I'm lucky. And not dead.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMango View Post
    All of them! But in reality maybe a polar 16570 for possibly up to a hundred quid less then I'd get it today. If I'm lucky. And not dead.

Master
    Plenty of WTBs out there and I have a few

Craftsman
    I can't afford it at the moment, but if they becae really cheap, I'd like a Harrods Tudor.

Casio F91 as we will all be living in the Stone Age once again when this is all over...

There are a few vintage divers that I would like to get hold of, possibly a newish BPFF or variation such as the milspec but there is not actually a new currently released watch on sale currently that I am lusting over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Casio F91 as we will all be living in the Stone Age once again when this is all over...
    I think people will give a kidney for a solar g-shock

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

There are a few vintage divers that I would like to get hold of, possibly a newish BPFF or variation such as the milspec but there is not actually a new currently released watch on sale currently that I am lusting over.
    We could very much see a market correction with vintage. Worth keeping your eyes peeled!

Re-edition speedy mk2 racing or a skywalker on a bracelet or cheap flightmaster

Calatrava
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Calatrava
    Speaking of Patek, anyone willing to put a figure on where the Nautilus will be in 3 months? WF have it currently at £70k

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I'm hoping the Casio F91 will hit sub £5.
    I hope not, I just paid £5.50 for one. Better flip it quick.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Speaking of Patek, anyone willing to put a figure on where the Nautilus will be in 3 months? WF have it currently at £70k
    It's not where it will officially be but for how much one will be able to get one... I'd say around £40k.

A 16800 or 16600 when they hit the £4K mark.

I think we're kidding ourselves, nothing apart from hugely priced stuff has any chance of much reduction IMO, but we'll see.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I doubt prices will fall that much down the market for sought after or high end pieces.

Master
    I think that it will depend were they are being sold - online retailers v eBay v watch Forums

A couple of Adolf Lange pieces, but more realistically an X-33 and a Speedy non-LE if such a thing exists!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It's not where it will officially be but for how much one will be able to get one... I'd say around £40k.
    I did mean the grey market.

BUT Patek do have form for lowering the retail price for watches.

Master
    Always wanted a Breitling, so either an Avenger of sorts or an Emergency.

With everything going on I've limited myself to a grand, don't know if it will happen but we'll see!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Navitimer.

I was hoping to track down a nice vintage one this year. Realistically, I was thinking the end of the year but who knows now? As I’ve been told to go and sit in the naughty boys corner for 3 months, I might have plenty of time to contemplate things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking forward to getting a fifty quid Fifty Fathoms

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Patek will likely stop production for a period of Corona, but whether demand stays as high remains to be seen.

My best guess I’d that these types of lower production models won’t be affected as much, and we have already seen the correction.

I was considering selling mine a short while ago. WF were just over £40k, a couple of others just over, or under £45k, and a couple of £38k-39k offers. One dubious estimate of closer to £60k (or even more on consignment) from Watchmaster.

If I could have guaranteed £50k I would have let it go, as I’d have made a big dent in the new mortgage but looks like that is no longer a possible price, and I doubt I’d sell for less (as with mortgage rate of 1.3% I’m happy to owe the bank a little more for the next 5 years), unless I ever really needed the money of course - than all bets are off.

Personally I’d love an AP ROO, keep looking at them!

In the mean time I’m hoping to swap my 2005 SD for a GMTII!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Patek will likely stop production for a period of Corona, but whether demand stays as high remains to be seen.

My best guess I’d that these types of lower production models won’t be affected as much, and we have already seen the correction.

I was considering selling mine a short while ago. WF were just over £40k, a couple of others just over, or under £45k, and a couple of £38k-39k offers. One dubious estimate of closer to £60k (or even more on consignment) from Watchmaster.

If I could have guaranteed £50k I would have let it go, as I’d have made a big dent in the new mortgage but looks like that is no longer a possible price, and I doubt I’d sell for less (as with mortgage rate of 1.3% I’m happy to owe the bank a little more for the next 5 years), unless I ever really needed the money of course - than all bets are off.
    Just to get on a waiting list for a aquanaut would be a start for me!!!!!!

Master
    How about boutique British brands? I think we should support small UK businesses who may experience challenging times ahead.

won’t take long till the “instagram rich” feel the pinch and need to dump.
    RM010 or RM030
    An Urwerk
    Maybe a CS or CB when they hit 2015 prices.
    Last edited by endo; 18th March 2020 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by cannondale View Post
    Just to get on a waiting list for a aquanaut would be a start for me!!!!!!
    I'm on the list for one and I don't know if I'd buy if I got the call today. Worrying times.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A lange for me.

All seems rather trivial at this point though.

Given the big names have - or will - cut production, it's surely far more likely that used prices will turn the current bubble into absolute foam?

In the unlikely event, I'd like a good, modern non-LE speedy and a ceramic PO chrono...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm on the list for one and I don't know if I'd buy if I got the call today. Worrying times.
    That's a good point, you can't buy toilet roll or pasta but you could maybe buy a 15k watch......still, would be a nice call to have!

I will certainly stump up for a 16710 once they dip below £4k for a 2000 transitional with SELS, lugholes and luminova.
    As a watch, it simply isn't worth any more than that.
    But I can't say I'm holding my breath though.
    D

Master
    I think Rolex are up for a correction because the people who buy them tend to be asset rich and cash poor. They are probably maxed out on their credit cards and mortgages and are the sort to make distress purchases when the going gets tough.

PP owners tend to be the type of people who buy and hold on to the watch and can ride out an event such as this.

The membership of WIS fora probably account for less than 1% of watch owners and the way we act is not typical of a normal person.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Looking forward to getting a fifty quid Fifty Fathoms

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I’m there with you!!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This is most likely the scenario for a lot of people. Omegamanic's assessment is also quite revealing - we could see a lot that need to sell for liquidity reasons, that is when prices would drop.

2015-ish pricing seems to be a good indicator for what to aim for, but inherently there is little reason not to see things drop to 2010 levels...

When steel Daytona's hit 10k I'm game. Or a Longines 13ZN for 5k.

I think whatever watch it was I would have to run it past 12manywatches first for his approval as he has set himself up as the forums leading authority on everything - tit 😂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think whatever watch it was I would have to run it past 12manywatches first for his approval as he has set himself up as the forums leading authority on everything - tit 😂
    Haha I did laugh at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Craftsman
    Wouldn't mind an overseas if they become available with a discount

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Local sale has begun

50% off Oris and all Rado

& so it begins.

Admittedly not the exotics that some are hoping for at bargain prices.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

Start

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Local sale has begun

50% off Oris and all Rado

& so it begins.

Admittedly not the exotics that some are hoping for at bargain prices.
    This will probably be what most AD's start to put on sale to maybe shift some stock to pay the wages but will look to hold out as long as possible before having to put the high profit into a sale. Having been in the centre of Edinburgh the past few days it was an absolute Ghost with every shop empty of people, multiply this every week for the next 4-8 weeks and something is going to have to give in regards sales of any luxury item.

Do enough luxury stores have the financial reserves to go 4-8 weeks with minimal sales, are they thinking that if they just sit tight and ride this out that everything just goes back to normal and people splurge the cash. After nearly every major worldwide crisis people take a pause for thouight about what they thought was important to them or made them happy etc and i feel the same will happen here, the normal just ain't going to happen the way the luxury market would like it too or believes it will.

This threat has scared and continues to scare everyone, with that always comes a change of focus on how you live life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I think Rolex are up for a correction because the people who buy them tend to be asset rich and cash poor. They are probably maxed out on their credit cards and mortgages and are the sort to make distress purchases when the going gets tough.

PP owners tend to be the type of people who buy and hold on to the watch and can ride out an event such as this.

The membership of WIS fora probably account for less than 1% of watch owners and the way we act is not typical of a normal person.
    That is quite a generalization to make about Rolex. It might be true in some cultures but they are very much a global brand.

Craftsman
    White gold Daytona on oyster flex.