closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing motorbikes in a shed

Mine are in an outbuilding which is just a very big shed. Too big to keep warm so they do definitely suffer from moisture and condensation in the winter. I had them all ACF50'd and that helps.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    that should be a good shed @5k ,my 8x6 shed cost about £200 and i just put it on a slab base i did myself -all i added was a 1" plywood floor over the thin original and put some better felt on it , the main thing was getting power to it so i could leave it on a trickle charger and i put an oil filled radiator on in the winter to stop any moisture building up.
    £5k isn’t just for the shed (I wish!)

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Something like this maybe??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycl....m46890.l49292

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    I love these, actually, but they’re not what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    £5k isn’t just for the shed (I wish!)

must be london prices , a 5k + shed around here is called a house extension :)
    Last edited by pugster; 28th March 2021 at 19:29.

I'm quite surprised at the price of these,, expected them to be a chunk more money.

https://www.birstall.co.uk/products/...e-pent-1-.html

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    must be london prices , a 5k + shed around here is called a house extension :)
    I live in a 3 bed end of terrace with a smallish garden, that cost the same as my friends 6 bed detached plus 8 acres of land oop north. It’s madness.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    I'm quite surprised at the price of these,, expected them to be a chunk more money.

https://www.birstall.co.uk/products/...e-pent-1-.html

They're definitely growing on me.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

Storing motorbikes in a shed

Tony, I have recently had to move house and am in the process of getting a garage mainly for my bike and other storage. I’ve gone for a concrete sectional 9’’foot 6 x 16foot 3 and its coming in at £2519 with Upvc fascias, 4 point locking up and over door and a steel side access door, thats delivered and installed. Obviously smaller sizes would be cheaper I imagine. I have a base down already that just needed extending a bit. Deffo a brick/concrete job is more secure than a wooden/plastic shed imo.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Is the floor likely to be able to take the weight of the bikes, or would I need to reinforce it?
    If it were an R9T then the bike would float just above the ground, obviating the need for a special base.

Just saying.

Funnily enough, I think I was looking at that exact garage. It would be perfect if they could put the door on the long edge.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Tony, I have recently had to move house and am in the process of getting a garage mainly for my bike and other storage. I’ve gone for a concrete sectional 9’’foot 6 x 16foot 3 and its coming in at £2519 with Upvc fascias, 4 point locking up and over door and a steel side access door, thats delivered and installed. Obviously smaller sizes would be cheaper I imagine. I have a base down already that just needed extending a bit. Deffo a brick/concrete job is more secure than a wooden/plastic shed imo.

Stuart

I have an 8m x 6m metal shed, galv frame, 25mm kingspan throughout (inc roof, purlins, every surface) and it’s perennially dry as a bone. 35N concrete base with membrane. Significant ventilation.

But if you like the idea of wood, and in case a small tweak to budget/spec can press extra buttons for what you get out of it, my extremely fussy builder rates these highly:

http://www.lugarde-garden-buildings....e-garages.html

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Concrete is barrier enough for ground misture, ...

D
    What? That has not been my experience. My shed was laid direct on a concrete slab and the base rotted from the dampness. Even if the slab has a dpm membrane in it it will still transmit moisture. Sheds laid direct on concrete slabs rot from base up. Concrete tiles similarly wick moisture from the ground. Ensure there is a damp proof membrane between anything in contact with the slab and ideally also an airgap.

Master
    Funnily enough, I think I was looking at that exact garage. It would be perfect if they could put the door on the long edge.

Don’t see why not. Just ask the manufacturer. I’ve just left a place with a sectional garage and all the panels were the same size all round so I shouldn’t think it will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Don’t see why not. Just ask the manufacturer. I’ve just left a place with a sectional garage and all the panels were the same size all round so I shouldn’t think it will be a problem.

Thanks for that.