closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: An elderly Zenith

  1. #1

    An elderly Zenith

    My Mother in Law, knowing of my interest in watches, very kindly gave me her Father's Zenith recently. I would be interested if anyone would care to comment on it . It seems to be 9ct gold and date from before 1931, going by the inscription. It also seems to have numerous marks inside the case back, which I assume have been made by various watchmakers in its considerable like. Thanks for any insights.






  2. #2
    Grand Master Der Amf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Masham-Beverley borders
    Posts
    11,012
    Dennison was an English case maker, also used for Omega and Longines watches in the UK market. iirc the hallmark should be Birmingham.

    Here's the inside of mine, from 1922 and sterling silver


  3. #3
    Hallmark is 9ct gold, for Birmingham 1930, Aaron Lufkin Dennison is A. L. D., the case manufacturer. They also made cases for many other movement importers inc Rolex.
    It's a nice little watch.

  4. #4
    Obviously records may not be entirely accurate for this period, but the movement number dates from around the time it was given as well.


  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, UK.
    Posts
    2,286
    That's lovely, OP. Very typical of the period. And because of the square case, wears larger than it would if it were round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Dennison was an English case maker, also used for Omega and Longines watches in the UK market. iirc the hallmark should be Birmingham.

    Here's the inside of mine, from 1922 and sterling silver

    The X for 1922 is thin and has serifs on the end, the X for 1947 is fat, and does not. The X on yours fat and unseriffed, so your watch dates to 1947, not 1922.

  6. #6
    Thanks for the responses. I think it is still on its original leather strap , which is knackered. I need to find a replacement but it has to have both ends of the buckle half, open , as it has a 9ct buckle which is solid and sewn into the strap, any ideas about this would be appreciated as well. It would be nice to wear it but I don't trust the strap as it is .

  7. #7
    Master bobbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Cossethay, England
    Posts
    7,481
    Blog Entries
    3
    Try David Boettcher at vintagewatchstraps.com, He specialises in the sort of thing you want and would probably be happy to incorporate your original buckle.

  8. #8
    Grand Master sundial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    13,875
    Have a word with Vanessa at Antique & Modern, East Barnet … Vanessa has arranged manufacture of custom straps for me to suit existing buckles . Might also be able to source a replacement dial

    https://www.clock-watches.co.uk

    dunk
    "I know not how to abstain from reading" Samuel Pepys

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Have a word with Vanessa at Antique & Modern, East Barnet … Vanessa has arranged manufacture of custom straps for me to suit existing buckles . Might also be able to source a replacement dial

    https://www.clock-watches.co.uk

    dunk
    Many thanks for that hint. I know them as they overhauled an old Omega Constellation for me a year or two ago.

    - - - Updated - - -

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Try David Boettcher at vintagewatchstraps.com, He specialises in the sort of thing you want and would probably be happy to incorporate your original buckle.
    Thanks for that, I'll try David.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information