closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedy Or Pam233?

Smile Speedy Or Pam233?

Good sunday to everyone, Firstly I'd like to say that I hope this reaches you well and that family, friends etc are ok too during these difficult times. Ok there is a decision that I would appreciate the fellow gentry to help me with, this is the final decision on a purchase, between these 2 gorgeous watches, IMHO..

OMEGA SPEEDMASTER 311.30.42.30.01.006 - Brand new £4000

Panerai 00233 - 4 years old superb condition £5500

The Omega is safe. The Panerai is risky. It depends on what kind of man you are. Do you want to play safe or risky?

If you have to ask, I'd say go with the Omega.

You'd get a speedy new for less than £4k without even trying.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You'd get a speedy new for less than £4k without even trying.
    going for brand new and making my own stories with scratches and dings, this is a very good price, chrono you'll struggle to get for less than 4

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The Omega is safe. The Panerai is risky. It depends on what kind of man you are. Do you want to play safe or risky?

If you have to ask, I'd say go with the Omega.
    I don't want to buy for investment, I want to enjoy and wear daily apart from my job, as this does not afford for me to wear a watch as nice as these 2.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedTaff View Post
    going for brand new and making my own stories with scratches and dings, this is a very good price, chrono you'll struggle to get for less than 4
    4.7 down to 4 is just below 15% off. If you accept that they'll have done you over. 20% minimum on that.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    4.7 down to 4 is just below 15% off. If you accept that they'll have done you over. 20% minimum on that.
    Well I can ask tomorrow at my local AD, thanks.

That’s an interesting choice between two drastically different watches.

I very much suspect that if you put it to a majority vote, most here would suggest the Speedmaster.

I will beg to differ. I’ve owned variants of both - a limited edition Speedmaster Gemini 4 and a (very) limited edition Panerai 00156. Neither are still with me but the difference is that I sold the Speedmaster because I never really bonded with it and I will not buy another. In contrast I sold the PAM only because I wanted to fund the purchase of a Rolex... and if I had the opportunity to buy another Luminor I would love to do so.

So if I was making your choice for myself I would buy a Panerai - although personally I would buy an 88 rather than a 233!

Simon

Journeyman
    Have you tried both? As they fit differently

The speedy fits small and thin while Panerai fits a bit on the big and thick side due to the domed crystal

I’ve gotten so used to Panerai so I’ll pick the 233 but the older dot version

Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    Have you tried both? As they fit differently

The speedy fits small and thin while Panerai fits a bit on the big and thick side due to the domed crystal

I’ve gotten so used to Panerai so I’ll pick the 233 but the older dot version
    Yes I've tried both, they each have their appealing factors for me, the story behind the Omega is obvious, the clear case back to see the wonderfully designed movement, nice bracelet and will look good on any strap.

The pam233 has the Crown guard mechanism that you have to use quite often, massive power reserve, date, domed glass and the fact that I may never bump into another owner....ever..and also looks fantastic on a multitude of straps???

Decisions decisions!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Mmm tough one, owned 2 speedys and loved them both, but both now gone due to one reason or another. Would I get another one, yes but only the 57 Trilogy one.
    As for Panerai, yes I own a 795 and love it, but in rotation. If I was in your position I would get the speedy and as said make your own stories with it. Pick up a panerai when funds allow further down the line.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

For me I’d go 233 ,but if I was you I’d get both,ok you can’t get both if you want a 233 ,but for 5500 I recon you can get another model and a speedy .
    Speedy 2500
    Pam 111,176 ,3000
    Should be doable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Speedmaster - Rock solid safe design, like a little black dress, always looks good and has been around for ever. The chrono makes it perfect for timing eggs or seeing how long you can hold your breath for.

Panerai 233 - 1950’s case, super cool design and feel, one of the all time Panerai classics, The cool kid

If your decision involves any financial considerations then make them the last reason you buy, personally I’d have the panerai but have to say that’s a really hard choice as both are superb classics so you just need to decide if you’re routine cool or quirky cool.
    RIAC

I’ve owned both & it would be the 233 for me over the Speedy. I’ve had four of the moon watches both vintage & modern & no doubt I will buy another at some point. However the Panerai just felt more special. Both are incredibly versatile when it comes to looking good on different straps and can be adapted to both formal & casual wear. There are many things I don’t like about the direction Panerai has taken over the last few years but there is always a model that draws me back in, the 373, 389, 424 & currently the 670 equation of time which is my latest obsession.
    The 233 is a great example of the brand & all the Panerai you could ever need, this would be my choice.

I have owned a couple of each and would definitely go for the 233. As others have said, it's a Panerai classic and that price looks pretty good to me, so your money should be safe. You can also dress it up/down with different straps, so it's a very versatile watch.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    That’s an interesting choice between two drastically different watches.

I very much suspect that if you put it to a majority vote, most here would suggest the Speedmaster.

I will beg to differ. I’ve owned variants of both - a limited edition Speedmaster Gemini 4 and a (very) limited edition Panerai 00156. Neither are still with me but the difference is that I sold the Speedmaster because I never really bonded with it and I will not buy another. In contrast I sold the PAM only because I wanted to fund the purchase of a Rolex... and if I had the opportunity to buy another Luminor I would love to do so.

So if I was making your choice for myself I would buy a Panerai - although personally I would buy an 88 rather than a 233!

Simon
    Well, yes I guess the speedy is the very safe option, isn't it a vast majority of collectors first purchase, or at least the very beginning of a collection?
    I'm a kind of "contrast" man, I do like very different cars, watches etc and my choices are very much a contrast, chalk and cheese if you like. I'm not buying for investment, if I were it would be a Rolex for sure, or the like...If I'm being honest with myself, the Panerai is a heart choice, and the speedy is the head one. So for example, I've never liked bracelets on watches, always leather or rubber. but the speedy looks very nice with anything, the pam looks awful on a bracelet imho. This could be a decider for me to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    Mmm tough one, owned 2 speedys and loved them both, but both now gone due to one reason or another. Would I get another one, yes but only the 57 Trilogy one.
    As for Panerai, yes I own a 795 and love it, but in rotation. If I was in your position I would get the speedy and as said make your own stories with it. Pick up a panerai when funds allow further down the line.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Yes kinda agree.....with my head at least

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    For me I’d go 233 ,but if I was you I’d get both,ok you can’t get both if you want a 233 ,but for 5500 I recon you can get another model and a speedy .
    Speedy 2500
    Pam 111,176 ,3000
    Should be doable

trouble is for me, there's a very few Pam's I truly like, the speedy I've always been interested in, one model or another. I can easily get influenced and lately it was the 233 all the way, have one on wait for me in an AD to collect Wednesday, and I seen a really cool speedy vid on yt yesterday and it's brought me back to the fold, and of course with the whole historical nature it is a fascinating watch series.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Speedmaster - Rock solid safe design, like a little black dress, always looks good and has been around for ever. The chrono makes it perfect for timing eggs or seeing how long you can hold your breath for.

Panerai 233 - 1950’s case, super cool design and feel, one of the all time Panerai classics, The cool kid

If your decision involves any financial considerations then make them the last reason you buy, personally I’d have the panerai but have to say that’s a really hard choice as both are superb classics so you just need to decide if you’re routine cool or quirky cool.
    Yes there are some financial implications, but both are affordable, just that as far as I can see the difference is around £1500, and I need to workout if the Pam is worth that extra cash, they're both classics as you say, but will I ever meet another 233 wearer, I doubt it...I also thought I'd never see Liverpool win a prem league either, and I still hope they don't lol.

Master
    Late to this debate but would have to say 233 every day. That domed crystal is mesmerising and you can dress up or down with different straps. I am also a fan of bigger watches so more inclined towards the PAM.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ferrari 488 or BMW X7? It's the same kind of question, really.

Two totally different watches, so very hard to compare.

I probably wouldn't buy a Panerai - I do kind of like them, but not that much.

I do own a Speedmaster, but I wouldn't pay the current new price for one.

Chalk and Cheese, so it's down to which you like best or how much you want to spend, I feel.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Ferrari 488 or BMW X7? It's the same kind of question, really.

Two totally different watches, so very hard to compare.

I probably wouldn't buy a Panerai - I do kind of like them, but not that much.

I do own a Speedmaster, but I wouldn't pay the current new price for one.

Chalk and Cheese, so it's down to which you like best or how much you want to spend, I feel.

M
    Well I've budgeted for the Pam at £5500 and is mint but without papers but this is still a very cheap price and a recent model only 4 years old, and the speedy I can get at £4000 new, maybe more room for bargaining too at possibly 20% discount.

I do have a pretty brand new Omega PO that I used to adore until......my first PAM..(932) followed shortly by a Luminor.372..
    Guess what?
    No more D3 vitamine for Omega at all.....

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk
    Last edited by marius; 16th March 2020 at 17:09.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    id go panerai between those two I think.

the 233 is a brilliant reference, plus has added WR over the omega which for me is a consideration as I do enjoy giving my watches a scrub under the tap. cant do that with the speedmaster.

Master
    233 all day long, albeit they are two completely different animals.

I've tried to like the Speedmaster but never have been able to. The 233 would be one of my last to go, stone cold Panerai classic, the 1950's case, the brushed and polished finish, the 8 day manual, the fantastic domed sapphire, the sandwich dial, its just my favourite.

The 233 is a fantastic watch - definitely worth trying. One observation - I find the 1950 case a bit uncomfortable in the 44mm size. For 44mm I prefer the standard Luminor and in 47mm the 1950. It was why I sold the 233. But this is very much a personal preference.

And after all.....try them both and listen to your heart
    Forget about investments these days...

Craftsman
    Do you like to wear a watch in the water ? PAM if so.

Speedy otherwise.

The PAM. Be cool rather than obvious ;)

If anyone interested please let me know the model and I can ask the dealer for a potential big discount.

https://helvetia.com.ro/ceasuri.html?manufacturer=212

No affiliation or anything to do with them but they were more than nice at my last aquisition and offered me a bine big discount on my 372

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post
    Do you like to wear a watch in the water ? PAM if so.

Speedy otherwise.

I probably won't wear the Pam in the water, if I went for that, I would wear the speedy, however. But this really isn't a deal breaker for me

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    233 all day long, albeit they are two completely different animals.

I've tried to like the Speedmaster but never have been able to. The 233 would be one of my last to go, stone cold Panerai classic, the 1950's case, the brushed and polished finish, the 8 day manual, the fantastic domed sapphire, the sandwich dial, its just my favourite.
    Have to agree totally, there's so many different factors on the 233 in comparison to the Omega, but it is "The first watch on the moon"!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    id go panerai between those two I think.

the 233 is a brilliant reference, plus has added WR over the omega which for me is a consideration as I do enjoy giving my watches a scrub under the tap. cant do that with the speedmaster.
    The speedy is 50m so of course you can wash it.....

The 233 all day long for me. Uber cool and different. Speedmasters don’t do anything for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    The 233 all day long for me. Uber cool and different. Speedmasters don’t do anything for me though.

Thanks, me too!!

Journeyman
    If I were you and planning to get both down the line,I’d go with 233 first as I heard they’re already discontinued

As for speedy to complement the 233,I’d pick speedy but with brown dial for something different

If I were you and planning to get both down the line,I’d go with 233 first as I heard they’re already discontinued

As for speedy to complement the 233,I’d pick speedy but with brown dial for something different
    That's a really smart advice !
    One step at the time....
    PAM first :)

Craftsman
    At one stage I had 3 speedmasters and 1 panerai
    Now its 5 panerais and 1 speedmaster at that one just sits in the box not being worn
    Panerais are quite infectious then you start strap buying its a whole new world and yes they are unique
    They might not hold to there money that well but they give me more smiles per pound than any other brand ive owned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I peaked at ten, had reduced to seven, but a recent new arrival had crept that up to eight. My OH says they all look the same, which is fine by me as she has no idea how many I own.
    It is far from an investment brand but I just love the character and feel of the pieces.

Love the two last answers!!!
    Good ideea with the OH :)

Panerai are a lovely watch and the speedmaster a classic.

Would love a Pan when money allows. Like others on here I have an issue with letting them go otherwise I’d swap my Speedy for a Pan!

I think my option to start is swaying more for the 233 for sure, but no matter what watch I look at I always seem to keep a close eye on the speedy, I don't necessarily think it's a looker either, but with it's deep history and what it stands for, surely it's a must for any collector, in whatever form they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by cfranklin View Post
    Panerai are a lovely watch and the speedmaster a classic.

Would love a Pan when money allows. Like others on here I have an issue with letting them go otherwise I’d swap my Speedy for a Pan!
    I understand, there's been a few friends of mine that have owned up to 3-4 speedies, then they sell, and regret and I dont want to fall into that category tbh, I have always resold watches, but I now really want to try hard and start a collection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I peaked at ten, had reduced to seven, but a recent new arrival had crept that up to eight. My OH says they all look the same, which is fine by me as she has no idea how many I own.
    It is far from an investment brand but I just love the character and feel of the pieces.

What Pam's do you own? and what are your thoughts on the 233?

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    At one stage I had 3 speedmasters and 1 panerai
    Now its 5 panerais and 1 speedmaster at that one just sits in the box not being worn
    Panerais are quite infectious then you start strap buying its a whole new world and yes they are unique
    They might not hold to there money that well but they give me more smiles per pound than any other brand ive owned

Hey, what pam do you own, and what are your thoughts on the 233?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Master
    I understand, there's been a few friends of mine that have owned up to 3-4 speedies, then they sell, and regret and I dont want to fall into that category tbh, I have always resold watches, but I now really want to try hard and start a collection.

- - - Updated - - -

What Pam's do you own? and what are your thoughts on the 233?
    I currently have PAM refs 49 231 249 372 587 614 720 & 721. I have never owned a 233 but a Paneristi pal of mine has and I have worn it and much admired it. It oozes PAM DNA, the domed crystal is gorgeous, and the size is more wearable for smaller wrists. If I got one at the right price I would snap it up.

Craftsman
    Hey, what pam do you own, and what are your thoughts on the 233?

- - - Updated - - -

At the moment i have pam25 Old and battered but irreplaceable 1351 stunning dial 913 so lovely on the wrist
    1389 big daddy makes me feel like arnie and a pam 753 my only radiomar
    The 233 is a lovely old school style pam and don’t worry when you buy it it wont be your last !!

Craftsman

I think my option to start is swaying more for the 233 for sure, but no matter what watch I look at I always seem to keep a close eye on the speedy, I don't necessarily think it's a looker either, but with it's deep history and what it stands for, surely it's a must for any collector, in whatever form they choose.
    Had not looked at the 233 for a number of years until your post. Went to revisit the piece via online images and would agree with many here that it really delivers everything you would want in a Panerai.

The speedy is the classic allrounder and like many, i have owned numerous different editions over the years but they have never stayed that long. The fit has always been an issue with regards the bracelet and something that Omega should have addressed years ago with a micro adjust. The watch was either too tight for daily wear or too loose to be comfortable but if you can get the perfect fit it is a great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I currently have PAM refs 49 231 249 372 587 614 720 & 721. I have never owned a 233 but a Paneristi pal of mine has and I have worn it and much admired it. It oozes PAM DNA, the domed crystal is gorgeous, and the size is more wearable for smaller wrists. If I got one at the right price I would snap it up.

Very nice admirable collection of Pams there for sure, there are some real good deals on the 233, I was searching for months and found one and contacted the store, they had only marked the price considerably lower than what it should have been, even on chrono24 where it was, and they honoured the best price for me, and even with the extra money I can afford to send it to Panerai for a full service and polish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Had not looked at the 233 for a number of years until your post. Went to revisit the piece via online images and would agree with many here that it really delivers everything you would want in a Panerai.

The speedy is the classic allrounder and like many, i have owned numerous different editions over the years but they have never stayed that long. The fit has always been an issue with regards the bracelet and something that Omega should have addressed years ago with a micro adjust. The watch was either too tight for daily wear or too loose to be comfortable but if you can get the perfect fit it is a great watch.
    As you say though, without a micro adjust there won't ever realistically be the perfect fit, due to whether your hot or cold, I like the bracelet strap on them too, and it's only the recent models, certain models that have that in their straps now, but you can always replace the strap as they look so good on anything really.

Master
    Go for the Speedy. It's an everyday watch which I think is what you want. Oh, and you get 2 watches as on the bracelet and NATO (assuming big box version) they are very different. Formal everyday watch on bracelet and casual on NATO.
    Last edited by watchmad; 18th March 2020 at 15:29.