closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKX vs Steinhart, opinions?

Craftsman

SKX vs Steinhart, opinions?

Hello,

I've recently been interested in a GMT diver, specifically steinhart pepsi 39mm gmt.

Wondering how this compares to my skx007, as this is the watch I'd sell to part fund the watch, and keep the collection smallish.

Is it worth selling the seiko skx to fund the steinhart? Would love to hear some feedback on people who have owned both!

Also as a little side, is there anyway to get access to the sales corner early? Perhaps sending proof of ID or something to mods?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The Steinhart is the better watch, the SKX is the more classic, an archetypal dive watch whereas the Steinhart just looks like a Rolex take on it.

I'm a fan of Steinhart but not sure I'd sell an SKX in order to buy one.

Journeyman
    Sorry, I haven't owned a Steinhart, but I consider an SKX (and any Seiko, really) to be a cool watch whereas I'd be almost embarrassed to wear a Steinhart - their homages are just too blatant. I realise this is a bit silly, and perhaps not very helpful - and, of course, people should buy what makes them happy - but I'd never switch from Seiko to Steinhart.

I would not sell a SKX to buy a Steinhart
    In terms of quality I don’t think there is much in it. Possibly Steinhart are a tad better but not by much.
    As said the Ocean One is a homage of another watch and in my opinion kind of boring), the SKX is its own thing.
    In addition I found the OMV I owned (for 1 day) to be overly long lug to lug hence I sold it very quickly. In fact I have sold both Steinhart’s I have owned and won’t be buying another one. They make a good enough watch for the price but would take a Seiko any day over one.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 15th March 2020 at 15:13.

Master
    Sorry but owning both, the Steinhart is in a different league in terms of build quality, finishing and accuracy.

At £150 the Seiko represented strong value, but now they're around £225+ and discontinued, they're pushing towards the £350-400 steinhart territory.

If originality is an issue for you, like some previous commentators, then the Steinhart is a non-starter. I couldn't care less about that.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Hello,

I've recently been interested in a GMT diver, specifically steinhart pepsi 39mm gmt.

Wondering how this compares to my skx007, as this is the watch I'd sell to part fund the watch, and keep the collection smallish.

Is it worth selling the seiko skx to fund the steinhart? Would love to hear some feedback on people who have owned both!

Also as a little side, is there anyway to get access to the sales corner early? Perhaps sending proof of ID or something to mods?

Thanks

The restrictions are there for very good reasons, and there is absolutely no way around them. Also, there are no "mods", just the owner whose word is final.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

While I've never owned one of Stainhart's homages, I rate very highly my Steinhart marine watch. Not every Steinhart is a homage, and the quality compares favorably to many more expensive watches. Mine's been been my most accurate mechanical watch!

Master
    I have an SKX009 which is a cracking watch and a respectable and wearable size for those with a sub 7" wrist. I also have a Steinhart Ocean premium 500 GMT ( the titanium one) which is nominal for my wrist size wise, but perfectly comfortable and OK as a holiday watch.
    There is no substitute for physically trying the Steinhart on. I went with the intention of buying the 39mm premium GMT but it really is too small, although the wife ended up with a 39mm ocean one MOP dial. You may find the 39mm too small compared to the 009/7.
    I also discounted the usual suspect Steinhart GMT's such as the pepsi, lovely as it is, because they are too "homage" for my taste. That may also be aimed at the premium 500's as a BLNR lookalike but actually, other than the bezel, they are different enough for me, especially as its titanium.
    Would I sell my 009 for a 500GMT? If you want a GMT, then yes. I suspect I will wear my Steinhart more than my 009, but that's mainly because I have too many watches and some are being neglected.

Ive owned 3 or 4 SKX’s over the last few years; both J and K versions, have owned the Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military (the Mil Sub homage) and currently own the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT.

Obviously the SKX is it’s own thing and something of an icon whereas Steinhart’s are typically homage watches. The two Steinharts I’ve owned are homages to watches that are no longer in production and utterly unattainable to me - as opposed to modern day Sub copies, and I have no problem with that.

So you kind of have three options: 1. A watch with iconic DNA, 2. A watch that homages other watches on the market, 3. A homage of a long discontinued, rare and expensive watch.

If the homage thing is of no concern to you and we’re talking about quality I’d say Steinhart all the way. SKX’s are going for about £300 now, but they come with a pretty dated (albeit very robust) non hacking or hand winding movement, aluminium bezel, Hardlex crystal, cheap bracelet, cheap box, and quite often QC issues around alignment. They were incredible watches for the money when you could pick them up new for £180, but not so much at current rates.

For not much more with a Steinhart you get ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, good Swiss movement, a really nice solid end link bracelet with screwed pins, nice box etc and very good after sales service.

I really think Seiko are losing the plot with some of their decision making. Discontinuing the SKX and replacing it with the fashion watch 5KX was daft. They should have beefed up the SKX with sapphire, ceramic and the 4R movement and had it as their flagship value diver. And have the SLA017 as their flagship luxury diver. Instead of all this endless overpriced limited edition nonsense.

Anyway to answer your question my opinion is if you’re not bothered about having a homage over an icon, then anything from the Steinhart Ocean One range is better quality and better bang for buck than an SKX.

Also, Steinhart’s retain their value really well so if you don’t like it you’ll get most of your money back and can easily pick up another SKX.

Coincidentally I’m having to work today and am wearing my Steinhart - it’s a 42mm model and I have a 6.75” wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned both an SKX & Steinhart. For me the Steinhart is the better watch to me in build quality and accuracy. I managed to buy back my Ocean One after stupidly selling it, but I've never been tempted to buy another SKX (which is also an excellent watch) I also have a Seiko Turtle, Seiko Samurai, and a Seiko Tuna.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've owned both an SKX & Steinhart. For me the Steinhart is the better watch to me in build quality and accuracy. I managed to buy back my Ocean One after stupidly selling it, but I've never been tempted to buy another SKX (which is also an excellent watch) I also have a Seiko Turtle, Seiko Samurai, and a Seiko Tuna.

Is that a SteveO NATO, Rod?

^^^ Yes, I've cut the short piece off as it was adding too much depth. Very comfortable!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    ^^^ Yes, I've cut the short piece off as it was adding too much depth. Very comfortable!
    I love the look but find it adds too much height to any watch I've tried it with. How much did you cut off?

Last edited by stefmcd; 15th March 2020 at 20:11.

Having bought a brand new Skx007 on here recently - I gave to say I’m very impressed with it

It’s made me stop and think about spends v value

I do love the Steinhart range and will buy one soon, but other than the quality feel of the clasp (my only Seiko issue I’ve being picky) I won’t be selling it for a while me thinks.....

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I love the look but find it adds too much height to any watch I've tried it with. How much did you cut off?

I cut the whole length off so it was RAF style.
    Far better now 👍

Master
    I have an SKX013 which I like. or more accurately enjoy again. I was lucky enough to get one with good chapter ring alignment. It;s a solid watch, looks good on a number of straps and is easy to dispose of if you grow bored of it. I also have no problems with a homage especially if it is to a watch that is no longer been manufactured. I own an Everest because I'm not going to drop 10K plus on a Rolex 1016 that I would be too worried to wear, due to its age. If I wanted an original style Explorer II or a Milsub I'd look at Steinhart. Conversely I wouldn't wear a homage to a modern watch, bu that is individual choice.

Journeyman
    For me i'll keep my seiko skx

Craftsman
    I'd keep the SKX too. Maybe look at the Timex Q reissue if you want to scratch the pepsi itch. Price wise it would work out similar to buying the Steinhart.

Craftsman
    Hello all,

Thanks for the replies! Think you've all tipped me to keep the skx, maybe get a steinhart after I've saved abit more.

In terms of the timex q what's the quality like on it, lovely design, but ive heard it has plastic bezel?!

I've also been tempted to just throw a gmt 12 hour bezel on the skx, but not sure.

The comment earlier that Seiko lost the plot the replacing the skx with a Seiko 5 is wrong. The SRP Turtles superceded the SKX.

Steinhart is miles higher quality than the skx in general terms. An important caveat however (based on my personal experience) is that on the 39mm Steinharts I found the bezel of much poorer quality than the 42 version.

Not quite comparable, one is generic and more expensive, skx is a legend by itself...original design, inhouse made from alfa to omega; for me is a winner

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Master
    Today's watch inspired by this thread.

Tricky one for me as I don't particularly like the Seiko styling.

I did own a Steinhart Ocean Black (the DLC one, so a bit less of a homage than most Oceans) briefly, but even that I found to be a bit embarrassing to wear - There's definitely something especially awkward about wearing a watch that makes such overt references to a Rolex in particular, I guess because so many people will recognise what it's trying to look like and you'll have that awkward, "Actually, it's a German watch, a Steinhart" conversation...

To be honest, though, I'm not a big fan of the Rolex original, so maybe I just didn't really like the styling that much.

Whatever the reason, I didnt keep the Steinhart long, although it seemed a nicely made watch and probably better finished than a SKX.

On balance, I might wear an SKX, but I wouldn't buy another Steinhart Ocean.

I don't dislike Steinhart in general, though, as I own one of their 'marmite' Apollons, but that's a watch that doesn't try and be anything it isn't.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 16th March 2020 at 10:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    You can only assess Sales if you have 150 posts. Selling your watch wouldn't raise much cash. As the Steinharts are cheap anyway I would just buy one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Not so. It's 60 days membership + 50 posts to view SC, and 180 days membership + 250 posts to be able to post there.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Fair enough on the SC, I'm not going to just spam post to get access either, look at the forum daily since I've joined and just chip in every now and then!

And in regards to the homage situation, it does bother me slightly that its Rolex homage, not enough to put me off buying one though, it's just that Rolex is the most recognisable watch brand for your average joe, and people I guess will think you are trying to trick them into thinking you have a rolex, which is not the case, I just love the pepsi styling and would like a GMT in my collection.

Just out of interest does anyone have any other suggestions other than steinhart for a gmt?

I have seen tiger concepts black bay gmt homage, uses a DG3804, not really sure on the chinese movement, it's a plus that it's a less recognisable watch to the average joe.

As you can probably tell I would like a gmt

Fair enough on the SC, I'm not going to just spam post to get access either, look at the forum daily since I've joined and just chip in every now and then!

And in regards to the homage situation, it does bother me slightly that its Rolex homage, not enough to put me off buying one though, it's just that Rolex is the most recognisable watch brand for your average joe, and people I guess will think you are trying to trick them into thinking you have a rolex, which is not the case, I just love the pepsi styling and would like a GMT in my collection.

Just out of interest does anyone have any other suggestions other than steinhart for a gmt?

I have seen tiger concepts black bay gmt homage, uses a DG3804, not really sure on the chinese movement, it's a plus that it's a less recognisable watch to the average joe.

As you can probably tell I would like a gmt

Depends on your budget I guess. Christopher Ward make some nice original GMT watches but they are a couple of hundred quid more expensive than a Steinhart - although I’ve seen some on eBay a bit cheaper.

If you’re just wanting to try out the Pepsi GMT look on a budget without having to flip your SKX, why not have a look at the Parnis GMT Master II homage. They come with sapphire, ceramic bezel, a half decent bracelet and a GMT movement (Miyota?) and will probably only cost you about £120. Only problem is I think the water resistance is a bit naff. But you get the look and the GMT, and if you decide it’s for you then you could flip and upgrade to a Steinhart Pepsi further down the line.

Skx for me, not keen on homages.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Depends on your budget I guess. Christopher Ward make some nice original GMT watches but they are a couple of hundred quid more expensive than a Steinhart - although I’ve seen some on eBay a bit cheaper.

If you’re just wanting to try out the Pepsi GMT look on a budget without having to flip your SKX, why not have a look at the Parnis GMT Master II homage. They come with sapphire, ceramic bezel, a half decent bracelet and a GMT movement (Miyota?) and will probably only cost you about £120. Only problem is I think the water resistance is a bit naff. But you get the look and the GMT, and if you decide it’s for you then you could flip and upgrade to a Steinhart Pepsi further down the line.
    Hello,

Yes I've seen the christopher ward watches, they look nice, like the C65 models.

Parnis use a DG3804 movement, what the reliability and overall build quality of that watch is I dont know, it is only about £60 though.

Blog Entries
    I've owned multiple skxs and still have one . Style wise for originality it has the main line up of Steinharts trumped but having owned two Steinhart ocean ones they were definitely of a higher fit and finish. Why did I sell them - probably just small preferences like lume colour but overall knew the Steinhart was the better watch .

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Having owned several of each over the years I would say the Steinhart is superior. Having said that the SKX is iconic and every collection should have one. Noticing they were becoming thin on the ground I bought a SKX007J recently which will stay with me. I partly get the homage criticism of Steinhart but the bronze green bezelled Ocean is currently one of my favourites in my collection - don't recall Rolex doing a bronze ??
    Horses for courses - always going to be an emotive subject.

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Having owned several of each over the years I would say the Steinhart is superior. Having said that the SKX is iconic and every collection should have one. Noticing they were becoming thin on the ground I bought a SKX007J recently which will stay with me. I partly get the homage criticism of Steinhart but the bronze green bezelled Ocean is currently one of my favourites in my collection - don't recall Rolex doing a bronze ??
    Horses for courses - always going to be an emotive subject.

maseman
    The brushed grey/graphite texture on the dial on the bronze one is gorgeous

Craftsman
    I like steinhart and I've nearly bought one in the past, however the homage thing does hang over it somewhat,
    Imagine having to explain to someone that it's not a Rolex it just looks like one
    As for the skx it is a genuine classic and personally mine is probably the only watch I would ever need!!!
    Buy both and keep the one you like the most, you probably won't lose much on either!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Steinhart are a cut above Seiko. Especially the movement and bracelet I feel.

Master
    I've a seiko sumo and a steiny ocean one. the sumo is supposed to be a cut above the skx and in many ways is very comparable to the steinhart in quality and feel. I slightly prefer the screwed links on the steinhart bracelet and the ETA movement is more consistent in time keeping, although the seiko is as or slightly more accurate over time, and has twice the power reserve. the steinhart also has 300m WR to the sumo's 200m but the feel of the head and the dial finishing is marginally better on the seiko. All very subjective, but he steinhart is better VFM.....but the seiko has ousted the steinhart from my collection! its available in sales corner on the fund raiser trade up thread (shameless plug, sorry!)

Master
    Sumo v ocean one is a much more realistic and fair comparison. Having owned both, I'd say they run each other very close.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I've a seiko sumo and a steiny ocean one. the sumo is supposed to be a cut above the skx and in many ways is very comparable to the steinhart in quality and feel. I slightly prefer the screwed links on the steinhart bracelet and the ETA movement is more consistent in time keeping, although the seiko is as or slightly more accurate over time, and has twice the power reserve. the steinhart also has 300m WR to the sumo's 200m but the feel of the head and the dial finishing is marginally better on the seiko. All very subjective, but he steinhart is better VFM.....but the seiko has ousted the steinhart from my collection! its available in sales corner on the fund raiser trade up thread (shameless plug, sorry!)
    Hello,

Interesting, was your steinhart a gmt?
    Cant view the sales corner yet unfortunately, relatively new member here!

Master
    no sorry, not a gmt, just a straight sub homage ocean one in 42mm.

Master
    SKX is a cool watch in its own right, regardless of its price.

The Steinheart is just an knock off in my opinion and a watch I personally wouldn’t aspire to own.

Master
    While I think that’s a bit harsh, I’d still look at the non-homage Steinhart watches first. (E.g. the titanium and other divers.)

Banned
    Keep the SKX. Not worth selling a real classic to buy a Steinhart Rolex homage.

After acquiring my first Seiko (SKX007) I find it really, really cool to wear and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Craftsman
    Hello,

Thanks

I find the Steinhart Ocean Titanium more palatable as the plain hands help it NOT look like an homage

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Steinhart are a cut above Seiko. Especially the movement and bracelet I feel.
    I’m a bit late to this one, but Steinhart movements can be hit or miss. I had a first gen Ocean 500 Ti with the Soprod movement and it went back twice as it stopped completely. On the third time they binned that and put a 2824 in which has been flawless ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    This. The Seiko is a classic. The other one may have better build, better movement, better materials, but in my opinion, will never be the better watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    I’m a bit late to this one, but Steinhart movements can be hit or miss. I had a first gen Ocean 500 Ti with the Soprod movement and it went back twice as it stopped completely. On the third time they binned that and put a 2824 in which has been flawless ever since.

That surprises me, I really wanted the Soprod movements. From the research I did at the time, as far as I could tell they were a superior movement to ETA.
    Something more like a top version of an ETA 2892, rather than a competitor to a basic 2824

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    That surprises me, I really wanted the Soprod movements. From the research I did at the time, as far as I could tell they were a superior movement to ETA.
    Something more like a top version of an ETA 2892, rather than a competitor to a basic 2824
    I don’t know if my experience was unique or not, but they went over to ETA pretty sharpish. I wonder if it was an underlying quality issue, or they saw the ETA as more recognisable and potentially adding value to the watch?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would go with Seiko,not a fan of copy watches.

Master
    I've had 3 x SKX variants and probably half-a-dozen Steinharts over the years.

The SKXs never really stuck with me, and I prefer the Monster series (still have an SKX779 BM).

Steinhart makes a nice watch, without doubt. Swiss movement, nice case and especially the bracelet- all a cut above the SKX. The SKX is, however, a classic. Don't keep the SKX because it's a better watch, keep it because it's an icon (and probably appreciating in value).

If you want a GMT homage, Parnis make a really good BLNR homage, for about £85. Really nice bracelet, decent quality and not a bad movement. Even has a ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal!