closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cat bites, serious things, who knew

Cat bites, serious things, who knew

So ten days ago I was picking up our kitten (he’s. A year old but we still call him a kitten) he panicked and jumped, out of my hands, long story short he stuck his tooth in a mole in my forearm, it bled for a few seconds then stopped. Few days later I had a red around the mole so went to the doctor, antibiotics and cream all good. Four days later the red has spread its now a 6 inch diameter round my wrist, call 111 and emergency doctor appointment who gives me another two stronger antibiotics. Tonight’s it’s redder, starting to swell and burns.

Anyone else had the same?

Master
    Nope.

Regarding any cats or kittens I have always taken the approach of you're not having fun until you're bleeding. Numerous cuts and punctures, but never experienced anything like you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Nope.

Regarding any cats or kittens I have always taken the approach of you're not having fun until you're bleeding. Numerous cuts and punctures, but never experienced anything like you suggest.
    I stopped Googling because it got to scary!😂

Craftsman
    My colleague’s mother was bitten by her cat and is lucky to have her arm....keep a close eye on it and seek medical assistance ASAP if you feel it’s not improving or getting worse.

I hope you are feline better soon

Sounds like it might be infected.. think you need to call 111 again. You don’t want sepsis..

Cheers,

Plug

Have you considered an A&E dept.visit? Better safe than sorry - have the wound infection properly diagnosed by an experienced doctor … you should have blood test to determine the type of infection and appropriate treatment. If the infection is spreading you risk potential serious consequences.
    Last edited by sundial; 14th March 2020 at 22:57.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

A & E as soon as you can tonight. It may cost you your arm, or worse, or turn out to be just a bad reaction. Say you suspect sepsis.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    most superficial bites and scratches are fine, but anything deeper causing a puncture should be properly checked out as cats mouths are quite full of nasty bacteria and can cause things like sepsis. most cat bites are just warning nips but if the teeth have punctured quite deep it will probably need treating. one of our old mogs once came in after rolling in poop somewhere outside and in the ensuing fight to get him in the bath he managed to hook a claw through the skin alongside my eyelid and rip a hole in it! he was a powerfully built cat and he also smacked me so hard in the eye he blacked it. the mrs was howling with laughter until she saw all the blood, i definitely came off worst that day!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I know a guy that got bit by a Pallas Cat, through the nail.
    I'd deffo get to a hospital if I were you!

Maybe cellulitis and may need IV Antibiotics. I’d recommend a trip to A+E urgent especially if it’s hot and swelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife is an NHS Consultant (although not a medical doctor) and she strongly suggests an A&E visit asap, especially given that the bite was into a mole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I hope you are feline better soon
    Well, I thought that was funny

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Well, I thought that was funny
    Thanks! And go get the wound sorted OP!

Craftsman
    Yes, visit A and E.

Cats have something like a mild poison on their teeth which is a throwback to their wild days.

Craftsman
    My Dad was bitten by a gun dog many years ago. Similar puncture wound as yours, and reaction.

Was given strong antibiotics as the doctor explained that animal teeth contain bacteria that are very problematic if not treated

Get it looked at again and best wishes

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/animal-and-human-bites/ … note advice ref 'red streaks'

dunk

Thanks guys, although you’re not making me feel any better. To date I’ve had first visit to doctor and antibiotics that didn’t seem to work, as of yesterday I’m on two lots of stronger antibiotics, no change this morning. I’ve got a job interview tomorrow if it’s no better after that then I’ll be driving tomA&E.

Good news is, I’ve got plenty of toilet paper.

Master
    Many moons ago one of our cats came in bleeding from the mouth. We suspect he had been hit by a car, but as I was loading him into the crate for a high speed dash to the vets, he was obviously in considerable pain and he sunk his teeth into my forearm.
    I thought very little of it until I started to feel really rather ill the very next day and so took my self off to the doctors. When he asked me to roll my sleeve up I was really quite shocked. It didn’t hurt that much, but the wound was really red and the veins in my arm were almost black looking all the way up to my shoulder. The doc gave me a couple of injections of antibiotics I presume, which sorted it all out within a couple of days.
    Apparently cats really do have a massive amount of bacteria in their mouths which can be really nasty if it enters the bloodstream - even through a pinprick from a kitten tooth. You’ve done the right thing getting it checked out. I hope it gets better soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Thanks guys, although you’re not making me feel any better. To date I’ve had first visit to doctor and antibiotics that didn’t seem to work, as of yesterday I’m on two lots of stronger antibiotics, no change this morning. I’ve got a job interview tomorrow if it’s no better after that then I’ll be driving tomA&E.

Good news is, I’ve got plenty of toilet paper.
    Good luck, though why not go to A&E immediately if it’s still not getting better?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Good luck, though why not go to A&E immediately if it’s still not getting better?
    My thinking is I only started the new antibiotics yesterday day late afternoon, thought I’d give them 48 hours to see if they kick in.

Does that sound reasonable?

Our old girl had to have and X-ray, vets took her off and a few mins later we heard a noise that sounded like a steam train in their clinic. A min later the vet asks if we can extract cat from under their cabinets as she was a bit pi**ed off with them. Anyway wearing gloves and using a towel I got her out but found out the hard way that the amount of pressure a cats jaw can exert is tremendous. Cue a trip a A&E for a single puncture wound in my little finger. By goodness it hurt but the vet was absolutely insistent get the cat home and then A&E now, don't wait for the GP in the morning - A&E now.

Nasty things cat bites, still took 2 weeks for the finger to recover but all is well - and the old girl was right as rain a few days later too, looking very pleased with herself.

I’d get straight to A & E - I don’t think you’re taking it seriously enough I’m afraid. Sepsis kills more people than cancer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yeah I had a cat bite. Poor old boy got hit by a car and as I lifted him to get him to the vet he fastened on to my thumb. I could feel his teeth on the bone - ouch. The vet made me wash it out with their super strong disinfectant and then straight to A&E to get it sorted. Hope all goes well.

As a long time cat owner, I know this. I spent 6 hours in A&E earlier this year with red lines running up my arm.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

My thinking is I only started the new antibiotics yesterday day late afternoon, thought I’d give them 48 hours to see if they kick in.

Does that sound reasonable?
    Unreasonable … you could lose your arm … SERIOUSLY !! Arm more important than a job interview and antibiotics might not remedy the infection. You can be selected for another job interview … you cannot get another arm after amputation. You already know this from you internet searches but still you hesitate to visit A&E … get there quick before their facilities are redeployed for Coronavirus cases
    Last edited by sundial; 15th March 2020 at 15:32.

Master
    If you google there was a woman in the UK last year who nearly died after getting flesh eating disease from a cat scratch. I have seen other stories too I believe a young girl scratched by a cat on vacation and returned to the UK nearly died as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Journeyman
    Sorry about this get well soon

I got a puncture wound when giving our then kittens tablets. I followed advice and went straight to GP who administered a tetanus shot. I self monitored afterwards and I was fine.

I had a spontaneous Olecranon Bursitis (Popeye Elbow) last year. Following NHS online guidelines went to GP who gave me antibiotics. My takeaway from this is to have a pen line drawn around the demarcation line of inflammation. That way it’s easy to see if inflammation is getting worse. Probably a bit late now, but it’s worth remembering.
    Last edited by Matt London; 15th March 2020 at 22:44. Reason: See

Thank you all for your advice and concern, I have now been to A&E advice was monitor, if getting worse or any type of temperature over the next 12 hours then go back straight away. It does seem to be getting less red and hasn’t spread any further as the day went on.

Again thank you all.

Master
    Thank you all for your advice and concern, I have now been to A&E advice was monitor, if getting worse or any type of temperature over the next 12 hours then go back straight away. It does seem to be getting less red and hasn’t spread any further as the day went on.

Again thank you all.
    Good news.

How’s the cat bearing up?

Craftsman
    That’s good and peace of mind for you. Hope you fully recover soon.

Blog Entries
    Am really surprised no docs gave you an immediate tetanus injection - SERIOUSLY !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Am really surprised no docs gave you an immediate tetanus injection - SERIOUSLY !!!
    Sorry, should have said, did have a tetanus jab at first appointment, well when I say first. Because of the way my local doctor works, I had a tetanus jab with the nurse at one practice 09:45 then saw a doctor at a second practice at 11:00 (apparently doctors don’t do injections anymore)?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear things are improving/under control. ATB Jon

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

The vet we go to send staff with a cat bite to A&E immediately. Good to hear you are on the mend.

My old flat mates psycho cat randomly went for my arm as i was slumped in a chair - he really meant it too, full grip and took a fair old chunk out of my wrist. Even the A&E doctor couldn’t believe it was a house moggy and thought I worked at a bloody zoo. Tetanus and antibiotics for 2 weeks.......

Master
    My last bite had me in hospital for two days getting antibiotics intravenously every 6 hours, admiited to hospital approx 18 hours after the bite since the red zone was getting bigger, animals have nasty stuff in their mouths.
    Blooming culprit was none the worse.
    Last edited by Pitfitter; 16th March 2020 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    My last bite had me in hospital for two days getting antibiotics intravenously every 6 hours, admiited to hospital approx 18 hours after the bite since the red zone was getting bigger, animals have nasty stuff in their mouths.
    Think human bite is one of the worst.

Cat bites are especially bad, because their needle like teeth inject nasty bacteria deep in the bite.

Best wishes for your recovery, OP. It sounds as though you would be better off with a Komodo Dragon as a pet!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.