closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car hire in Spain (Costa Blanca)

Craftsman

Car hire in Spain (Costa Blanca)

We're, hopefully, off to Spain late next week and intend to hire a car whilst there. I've checked previous threads but they're quite old and possibly out-of-date. Can anyone recommend a car hire company in the Torrevieja/Playa Flamenca area who are reliable, i.e. won't subsequently try to charge several hundred euros for non-existent or pre-existing damage!

Also any advice on taking out CDW v taking out separate cover in the UK and any other tips would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance for your help.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    SixT.

If you book the full CDW at the same time as the car, it’ll be far cheaper than when you pick the thing up.
    Insurance4carhire are the ones I’ve always used to avoid the higher charges. Be aware though , in case of a claim, the hire company will take the excess off your card and you have to get it back from the insurance firm.
    All Id suggest is check , check and check again when you pick the car up. Photos are a must for any subsequent damage they might try and pin on you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    If you book the full CDW at the same time as the car, it’ll be far cheaper than when you pick the thing up.
    Insurance4carhire are the ones I’ve always used to avoid the higher charges. Be aware though , in case of a claim, the hire company will take the excess off your card and you have to get it back from the insurance firm.
    All Id suggest is check , check and check again when you pick the car up. Photos are a must for any subsequent damage they might try and pin on you.
    This ^^, I buy my yearly cover from icarhireinsurance.com

Cool

https://www.doyouspain.com/index.htm

I have used these chaps dozens of times. select on airport and full full for the fuel.
    Get your own insurance https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/

Off season I have had cars for nine euros for the week. (Record)

Have fun.
    Last edited by Barry; 10th March 2020 at 20:59. Reason: Missing link

Craftsman
    Where are you picking up the car from? If Alicante Airport then a good choice in the arrivals hall. I've used Europcar or RecordGo many times and decent new cars. Be aware of the T&C's - you can get caught out with fuel charges. I tend to bring the car back full, that way it's not a discussion point. Just do a decent check of the car's condition before you leave the airport and take pics of any damage and get them acknowledged.

I always use EDI. No fuss, no big deposits, they encourage you to buy the CDW in the UK before you travel. They meet you at Alicante or leave the car in the car park for you to pick up. Very trusting and english speaking. Rates are pretty good as well.

https://www.edirentacar.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    https://www.doyouspain.com/index.htm

I have used these chaps dozens of times. select on airport and full full for the fuel.
    Get your own insurance https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/

Off season I have had cars for nine euros for the week. (Record)

Have fun.
    Have also used doyouspain on a number of occasions, not just in Spain, have found the cars and service to be very good, also the queue seemed a lot shorter than at the other rental sites

Craftsman
    I'd just like to thank everyone who responded to my query, some useful information which I'll follow up.

i always pre-book and use Goldcar when we head to Javea via Alicante and book on a full fuel to full fuel plan.

i never take their additional insurances which does mean they block my card for about £1500 but I take separate CDW insurance in the UK for about £40 annually.

never had any problems whatsoever - my only gripe is the size of the line waiting at the booking desk but guess COV-19 might see to that.

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    Have also used doyouspain on a number of occasions, not just in Spain, have found the cars and service to be very good, also the queue seemed a lot shorter than at the other rental sites

I was worried by their name when I first heard of them but they are great.

Very cheap at the moment, lots of cars for two euros for the week, a Nissan Qashqai is 15 euros for the week..

Cheaper than a taxi.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The last time I did this (with SixT I think), i was charged about 150% of pump price for the initial full tank.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The last time I did this (with SixT I think), i was charged about 150% of pump price for the initial full tank.
    That’s pro level gouging. I have never used them.

Record have been great, but there are rogues at lots of rental companies. I have seen some very unhappy people at rental desks when they see some of the additional charges slipped in.

I thought i was doing the right thing by booking car hire well in advance of our Spanish villa break in September by booking a few weeks ago.
    Thanks to this thread i re-visited Doyouspain to find that the cost of hire similar to what i`ve already booked with them has dropped by nearly 40%.
    I`ve cancelled my booking and got a refund and hope to book again later this year at a keener price - if we ever get to go thanks to this worldwide outbreak of namby-pambyness and common cold hysteria they call C****a. At least it`s saved me some wedge.