closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 55 of 178 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 8872

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Do companies have to make money or do they just have to convince people of future riches?

Seems to me that investors a desperate for a return and p/e’s of 50 or maybe 100 will become the new norms
    We'll see about the sustainability of that. I still remember the 2000/2002 sell-off very well, and what happened to all the stocks that were priced according to the 'new normal'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    We'll see about the sustainability of that. I still remember the 2000/2002 sell-off very well, and what happened to all the stocks that were priced according to the 'new normal'.
    Yeah, but 10-Year Treasury bonds were paying over 5% in that period ... bit different now.

Yeah, but 10-Year Treasury bonds were paying over 5% in that period ... bit different now.
    Just another discount rate for future cash flows, nothing else changed.

I wonder if they will like the news that Christmas came early at KODK this year.

https://twitter.com/JCOviedo6/status...208902658?s=19
    The SEC is on it now, opened an investigation after a letter from Liz Warren.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/the...of2&yptr=yahoo

The disconnect between the economy and the markets cannot go on forever. Ultimately, companies have to make money to justify their valuation. The time will come when we see emperors without clothes (cf Buffet, W.).
    Indeed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just another discount rate for future cash flows, nothing else changed.
    Sorry, I don’t understand the point you are making there.

Sorry, I don’t understand the point you are making there.
    When you do a company valuation, you estimate their future cash flows (profits) and then calculate the net present value of the future cash flows by using the interest rate (plus a risk margin). This process is called discounting of future cash flows. Zero interest rates just means that future cash flows have a net present value of 100% (ignoring the risk premium for a minute), otherwise nothing changes.

This means that stocks are justifiably worth more when interest rates are low - but not anywhere close to what the market allows these days. This will correct at one point.

I currently have a reasonable amount of cash sat in a company that has seen me well so far in this crisis, lately though its dropped a fair bit to make me realise its stormy waters out there and having the cash safe in the bank at the moment is better than trying to eek out some profits.

I'm hoping for a small rise in its share price where I can sell the majority and keep a less risky amount for the long term/vaccine announcement, the markets just seem to be a bit more fragile now than they were a month or so ago and it feels like some big changes are a coming..

Master
    Blog Entries
    When you do a company valuation, you estimate their future cash flows (profits) and then calculate the net present value of the future cash flows by using the interest rate (plus a risk margin). This process is called discounting of future cash flows. Zero interest rates just means that future cash flows have a net present value of 100% (ignoring the risk premium for a minute), otherwise nothing changes.

This means that stocks are justifiably worth more when interest rates are low - but not anywhere close to what the market allows these days. This will correct at one point.

Ah,ok. Understood.

But the point I was making was that in that period if you didn’t fancy putting your capital in equities you could get bonds paying over 5%. That’s not an option now so there is more competition for equities.

Ah,ok. Understood.

But the point I was making was that in that period if you didn’t fancy putting your capital in equities you could get bonds paying over 5%. That’s not an option now so there is more competition for equities.
    I suppose you mean there is less competition for equities.

But this is settled by the discount rate as it addresses your alternative investment alternatives.

I know people have difficulties to accept zero returns, but what counts are real return and in an inflation-free world zero is fine. When bonds were yielding 5%, you also had 5% inflation so the net net is zero (I am simplifying quite a bit here, but the principle stands).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suppose you mean there is less competition for equities.

But this is settled by the discount rate as it addresses your alternative investment alternatives.

I know people have difficulties to accept zero returns, but what counts are real return and in an inflation-free world zero is fine. When bonds were yielding 5%, you also had 5% inflation so the net net is zero (I am simplifying quite a bit here, but the principle stands).
    I mean more capital competing for equities as there are fewer other attractive assets.

CPI in 2001 was about 1% and you could get a bond yielding over 5%

Today it’s about 2% and bonds are yield near zero.

So based on that there is more capital flowing into equities as there are fewer options to generate a return.

I mean more capital competing for equities as there are fewer other attractive assets.

CPI in 2001 was about 1% and you could get a bond yielding over 5%

Today it’s about 2% and bonds are yield near zero.

So based on that there is more capital flowing into equities as there are fewer options to generate a return.
    I don't know where you got your data from, but US CPI was 2.8% in 2001 and the last two readings in May and June were 0.1% and 0.6%.

But anyway, the gap between inflation and real rates is the same for all asset classes and as I said, the low return (whether real or nominal) already leads to a higher P/E ratio through the lower discount rate, so no (logical) reason to bid equities up beyond that. I know reality is different, but my point is all will eventually revert to mean and that correction will be very painful for many.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't know where you got your data from, but US CPI was 2.8% in 2001 and the last two readings in May and June were 0.1% and 0.6%.

But anyway, the gap between inflation and real rates is the same for all asset classes and as I said, the low return (whether real or nominal) already leads to a higher P/E ratio through the lower discount rate, so no (logical) reason to bid equities up beyond that. I know reality is different, but my point is all will eventually revert to mean and that correction will be very painful for many.
    The figures I quoted were UK not US.

The other difference between 2000-2002 and present is the vast amount of QE being pumped into the economy by central banks.

I agree equities seem over valued but I’m looking for reasons why this may be so ...

The figures I quoted were UK not US.

The other difference between 2000-2002 and present is the vast amount of QE being pumped into the economy by central banks.

I agree equities seem over valued but I’m looking for reasons why this may be so ...

No argument there and whatever reason you find, it will be thrown on the ash heap of history when reality kicks in again. Compare Cramer 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Just dipped my toe in and bought £3k worth of iShares Physical Gold SGLN. If it goes up 5% I've double my investment. If it sinks 10% I'll quit.

Gold has appreciated massively against the dollar, but not so much against the GBP, given the GBP recent strength against the dollar. It's only up 7% (only - wouldn't 7% return be nice when a bank pays 0.1%) in GBP terms since April.

If Brexit goes t!ts up then it will be a good investment as GBP will sink.
    Putting in another £3k into a gold ETF tomorrow, as the first £3k I put in only a few days ago is up 3% already.

I was going to wait until 5%, but there’s a lot of money flowing into gold ETFs at the moment.

This crisis has barely started so I see the upside of gold outweighing the downside, especially as gains so far have been relatively modest when compared with the 2009 financial crash.

Money printers are going brrrrrr.

Don’t worry I’ve made a bigger loss on energy shares. I think it’s important to mention this, as you get the feeling everyone wants to tell you their good investment news on this thread, and not their bad investment news

Let's see what today brings
    Last edited by ryanb741; 5th August 2020 at 06:33.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No argument there and whatever reason you find, it will be thrown on the ash heap of history when reality kicks in again. Compare Cramer 2000.
    Question is what will/could cause reality to kick in an when?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Putting in another £3k into a gold ETF tomorrow, as the first £3k I put in only a few days ago is up 3% already.

I was going to wait until 5%, but there’s a lot of money flowing into gold ETFs at the moment.

This crisis has barely started so I see the upside of gold outweighing the downside, especially as gains so far have been relatively modest when compared with the 2009 financial crash.

Money printers are going brrrrrr.

Don’t worry I’ve made a bigger loss on energy shares. I think it’s important to mention this, as you get the feeling everyone wants to tell you their good investment news on this thread, and not their bad investment news

Ah yes plenty of bad investments too. I stuck £20k into IAG a few weeks ago when I was sure it was 'at the bottom'. It went up 7% today so my loss is 'only' 21% currently. Likewise Boohoo seemed stupid cheap 10 days ago. £10k in that. I'm still 10% down. Finally a 'hot tip' was Microfocus. In I went. 10% down still. Thankfully the one tip o did follow was Silver. 34% up in 6 weeks on that.

The only stock I have that I buy on my own personal judgement as something I think will survive the crash (and it is coming and it will be horrendous) is AZN. Not just for the vaccine but for what the new world will look like and spend on.

I know I'm no expert at this but I made a small fortune back in the day on Betfair Sports Market Trading with horses. I'd be interested not in the race but in the price movements before the race. When something happened in the preceding race it would invariably effect the price of the favourites in the following race. All emotions and not reality. I see the same happening in the current equity markets which is why I am essentially day trading with my Sipp lol and scalping increases. I've found it predictable what will happen with certain share prices around 70% of the time and much of the research is on reddit coronavirus forums where there is invariably a heads up on a scientific forum about what's happening with some treatments developed by company X. I invest in company X and the next day it shoots up when that news is press released.m. So does the whole market if it is supposedly going to end the Pandemic. When it shoots up Gold goes down. Then someone says on the same reddits that the treatment from company x isn't tested properly or isn't the magic bullet. I then buy gold. The clickbait media runs with it a few days later, traders sh*t their pants, stocks go down and gold up. Rinse and repeat except instead of Gold (I have some) I mostly use silver
    Who knew Reddit was the key to making money? Somebody tell the fund managers.
    Last edited by Raffe; 6th August 2020 at 08:50. Reason: included part of noTAGlove's post in quote
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Question is what will/could cause reality to kick in an when?
    Honestly I have no idea. You'd think 'irrational exuberance', but we are reaching new levels of that weekly.

But when I see the blind heard mentality in this thread, it cannot end well. Mind you, the dot-com bubble only burst after it bankrupted almost all of its critics.

Master
    Mind you, the dot-com bubble only burst after it bankrupted almost all of its critics.
    When that bubble burst it was horrendous for many private investors. People had actually given up good jobs in the late 90’s to become day traders thinking it was easy. Putting small fortunes into companies like Baltimore Technology as the price had multiplied a ridiculous amount of times so they all thought they would get in on the act. People went crazy over companies like Last Minute Dot Com thinking they would become millionaires. Even investors sticking to funds as opposed to individual shares caught a cold. Invesco Perpertual GT European growth Fund (huge technology weighting that no one seemed to really understand), Jupiter Technology and Aberdeen Technology, all household names that boomed in the late 90’s and literally dropped off the chart as the bubble burst. People blindly invested as the news every night was talking up the markets and nearly everyone caught a cold. I recall a local firm sending execution only letters telling people how these funds were growing at 50% a year or more, enclosing an application form and getting loads of investments. People putting in 10k for example and it being worth 2k or less within a couple of years. The Microsoft’s of the world came through it, the hyped up rubbish just disappeared.

You can see it happening right now everywhere (on here as well), people speculating on high risk individual stocks. Going way above their normal appetite for risk at probably the most uncertain time in recent history. I’d be fairly certain that I’d some people did a risk profile on themselves they would be surprised.

My risk profile was high, the questions seemed quite banal, I wonder now how I could have got a cautious rating, looking back it seems pretty hard, unless I'd have just said please buy me shares in tampons and funeral parlours

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    When that bubble burst it was horrendous for many private investors. People had actually given up good jobs in the late 90’s to become day traders thinking it was easy. Putting small fortunes into companies like Baltimore Technology as the price had multiplied a ridiculous amount of times so they all thought they would get in on the act. People went crazy over companies like Last Minute Dot Com thinking they would become millionaires. Even investors sticking to funds as opposed to individual shares caught a cold. Invesco Perpertual GT European growth Fund (huge technology weighting that no one seemed to really understand), Jupiter Technology and Aberdeen Technology, all household names that boomed in the late 90’s and literally dropped off the chart as the bubble burst. People blindly invested as the news every night was talking up the markets and nearly everyone caught a cold. I recall a local firm sending execution only letters telling people how these funds were growing at 50% a year or more, enclosing an application form and getting loads of investments. People putting in 10k for example and it being worth 2k or less within a couple of years. The Microsoft’s of the world came through it, the hyped up rubbish just disappeared.

You can see it happening right now everywhere (on here as well), people speculating on high risk individual stocks. Going way above their normal appetite for risk at probably the most uncertain time in recent history. I’d be fairly certain that I’d some people did a risk profile on themselves they would be surprised.
    This should be a sticky frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This should be a sticky frankly.
    +1

Are they going to keep printing so people can buy iphones and junk off amazon whilst mass job losses keep happening?

Charles MacKay's 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds' is always a beneficial read imho.

Useful to recall how it was the dotcom boom which really popularised the concept /phrase 'the burn rate'
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th August 2020 at 08:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    BT staff don't even want to hold on their free shares.

Brave on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not unusual for "staff" to sell share and not invest in the company they work for

I agree BT have performed dismally over the past years and of course values can go up as well as down - as I pointed out it dipped below 100p which is when I bought.

The SEC is on it now, opened an investigation after a letter from Liz Warren.

One interpretation would have it that there are a fair number "sitting out the loss" in anticipation of the result.

But when I see the blind heard mentality in this thread, it cannot end well.
    I rather enjoyed that (unintentional?) errant 'a'.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

One interpretation would have it that there are a fair number "sitting out the loss" in anticipation of the result.

I rather enjoyed that (unintentional?) errant 'a'.
    Yes, a joke from my spellchecker.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I always used to think the same... a few years ago mine were worth £4 a share, bought as buy 2 get 1 free, taken at source pre tax, no brainier and can't lose surely.... they have currently recently recovered to a whopping 49p after dropping to around 30p!!
    Ours are at a discount but not quite two for one. Three or five year plans -- most people immediately buy and sell to realise the gain at the end of the period. Can back out at any time. One guy held for about 20 years and he's very happy now.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 5th August 2020 at 11:05.

Craftsman
    Flip side is when a RBS happens, lose your job, put every bonus into RBS shares, go into SAYE schemes and mature out etc...horror stories of cashiers in branches losing £200k in capital

Happy to be all in one basket in the boom years pulling 7% dividend yield

Unless you are sufficiently senior, you’re probably no better informed than the man on the street

Oil on the move

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Reckon it might be the time to start selling tulips, seems like there would plenty of takers . Human nature doesn't change much. (Not directed at anyone posting here btw)

Maybe with the exception of one...?

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    Unless you are sufficiently senior, you’re probably no better informed than the man on the street
    Very true. My plan is to buy and sell immediately to realise the gain or back out if it goes down. Our company is a huge group of businesses all over the world so it's impossible to be informed. From what I've heard it's popular with institutions as it's very stable and diverse but I have nothing to back that up with.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Very true. My plan is to buy and sell immediately to realise the gain or back out if it goes down. Our company is a huge group of businesses all over the world so it's impossible to be informed. From what I've heard it's popular with institutions as it's very stable and diverse but I have nothing to back that up with.
    Be wary of the 'all eggs in one basket scenario' - your salary and you investments tied to one company isn't necessarily a good thing. You also need diversity.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Be wary of the 'all eggs in one basket scenario' - your salary and you investments tied to one company isn't necessarily a good thing. You also need diversity.
    Well said. I see sharesave schemes are being discussed. I dealt with a chap who did rather well with them, did quite a few over the years and was sat on ~£1.2m of the company he worked for. Horribly exposed to that single share along with an enormous CGT liability. Chose to do nothing despite all the evidence being plain to see.

Some quick calcs would suggest, ceteris paribus, that same £1.2m would now be sub £200k. At least his potential CGT liability is probably gone.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I agree. For tax reasons the most we're allowed to buy is £500 per month. You can be in as many 3 or 5 year cycles as you like but the total contribution isn't allowed to exceed £500 per month.

We focus nearly entirely on overpaying our mortgage and putting extra into our work pensions as we're both risk averse.

This thread was meant to give me the balls to jump in but it's taken them from me instead!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    "Much better" meaning only down 10-15% to LY instead of down 32.9%?
    Listened to an NPR podcast the other day and the -32.9% figure is calculated as what would happen if the drop in that quarter was repeated throughout a 12 month period - the actual drop was about -9.5%

The -32.9% figure is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Listened to an NPR podcast the other day and the -32.9% figure is calculated as what would happen if the drop in that quarter was repeated throughout a 12 month period - the actual drop was about -9.5%

The -32.9% figure is misleading.
    It's the American way of calculating GDP: quarterly, then annualised. No other country in the world uses this methodology to the best of my knowledge. Gives nice numbers on the way up, not so nice on the way down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's the American way of calculating GDP: quarterly, then annualised. No other country in the world uses this methodology to the best of my knowledge. Gives nice numbers on the way up, not so nice on the way down.
    Yes, it is USA only (according to the economics professor, who is based in the USA). I think the aim of the podcast was to explain the frightening number!

But European GDP is down a real 12% and the UK 19%. That is real year-on-year change.

Craftsman

Wow. Baltimore Technology. Haven't heard that name in years. I went to school with Fran Rooney's son.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

In the late 80s I joined a tech start up based on the founders mums farm called Madge Networks. The company did an IPO on the NASDAQ in 1993. For a while it catapulted the founder into the Times rich list but the company later filed for bankruptcy in 2003.

Many employees made significant sums from stock options. Some held their options so long they ended up with very little. I did ok but had I joined a year earlier I’d have been made in my 20s.

During the 90s I invested in companies like Cisco, Bay, Nortel, iii, Baltimore, last minute.com and many others. I did well but in reality any stock in the tech category would do ... I sold the lot in 1999 when I’d concluded it had got silly. The final straw was a company I was involved in evaluating for acquisition and concluded they had no IP, no product but a great storey. We disregarded them and their stock went nuts for years ... they never produced anything and at that point I bailed. Was a good shout.

I’ve bailed back in March and I’m holding more cash than I have ever, I’m currently down compared to if I’d held and that’s tough to bear but I still think markets are way over what the economy should justified, central banks have done way more than I anticipated to prop up markets.

I moved to cash to preserve capital, I’m staying here until I see a good reason to re-invest.

I did buy some gold as an inflation hedge which is 22% up which is helpful.

I don’t like being out of the market but it’s not for me at present as it seems to me we are in a dreadful bind and many businesses will fail and there will be more grim economic situations ahead.

I’ve bailed back in March and I’m holding more cash than I have ever, I’m currently down compared to if I’d held and that’s tough to bear but I still think markets are way over what the economy should justified, central banks have done way more than I anticipated to prop up markets.

I moved to cash to preserve capital, I’m staying here until I see a good reason to re-invest.

I don’t like being out of the market but it’s not for me at present as it seems to me we are in a dreadful bind and many businesses will fail and there will be more grim economic situations ahead.
    The Fear of Missing Out is a difficult thing to resist but as JP Morgan said "I made a fortune getting out too soon". Like you I've put some into Gold largely to offset inflation rather than to go for significant capital growth. The majority of my money is in Bonds at the moment, maybe more than would be appropriate for my age but I think that's prudent in the current market.

I did exactly the same and for the same reasons, except for a bit of cryptocurrency which i unloaded a few weeks back.

Craftsman
    In the late 80s I joined a tech start up based on the founders mums farm called Madge Networks. The company did an IPO on the NASDAQ in 1993. For a while it catapulted the founder into the Times rich list but the company later filed for bankruptcy in 2003.

Many employees made significant sums from stock options. Some held their options so long they ended up with very little. I did ok but had I joined a year earlier I’d have been made in my 20s.

During the 90s I invested in companies like Cisco, Bay, Nortel, iii, Baltimore, last minute.com and many others. I did well but in reality any stock in the tech category would do ... I sold the lot in 1999 when I’d concluded it had got silly. The final straw was a company I was involved in evaluating for acquisition and concluded they had no IP, no product but a great storey. We disregarded them and their stock went nuts for years ... they never produced anything and at that point I bailed. Was a good shout.

Was you based in Wexham Springs, Stoke Poges? I remember Madge Networks, worked there for a little while in late 90’s ad sat next/near Robert Madge, he was a decent person.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Was you based in Wexham Springs, Stoke Poges? I remember Madge Networks, worked there for a little while in late 90’s ad sat next/near Robert Madge, he was a decent person.

I started at Lodge Lane in Chalfont St. Giles Which was Robert’s family farm, then we outgrew that and went to Knaves Beech and then the location at Stoke Poges, that was when I left to work overseas. I then return to the company for a year or so in 97. Then I left to work at 3Com.

I liked Robert, I wonder what he’s up to now.
    Last edited by Montello; 5th August 2020 at 21:46.

Value creation, explained:

1. 11/2017: Bytedance buys Musical.ly for USD 1 bln
    2. 08/2018: name change from Musical.ly to TikTok
    3. 08/2020: Microsoft in discussions to buy TikTok US for USD 30-50 bln
    4. 08/2020: Microsoft stock rallys >5% on the news, increasing Microsoft market cap by >USD 80 bln

Value creation, explained:

1. 11/2017: Bytedance buys Musical.ly for USD 1 bln
    2. 08/2018: name change from Musical.ly to TikTok
    3. 08/2020: Microsoft in discussions to buy TikTok US for USD 30-50 bln
    4. 08/2020: Microsoft stock rallys >5% on the news, increasing Microsoft market cap by >USD 80 bln
    Thanks, it all makes perfect sense now.

Put 25% of my SIPP into the Ishares Physical Silver ETC this am. Will be bumpy but I reckon that 25% will become 40% with growth over the next few months.
    Silver went nuts in late UK trading. Shame I was in a meeting else I'd have traded out with a 5% profit on a day's investment
    I view Silver not as a long term hold just something to scalp along the way. Other assets I would hold for a long time
    I agree. A clear strategy about holding intentions is the best starting point.

Also have 15% of the SIPP in Ishares Physical Gold ETF.
    15% sounds so much better than £3k.

I see the same happening in the current equity markets which is why I am essentially day trading with my Sipp lol and scalping increases. I've found it predictable what will happen with certain share prices around 70% of the time and much of the research is on reddit coronavirus forums where there is invariably a heads up on a scientific forum about what's happening with some treatments developed by company X. I invest in company X and the next day it shoots up when that news is press released.m. So does the whole market if it is supposedly going to end the Pandemic. When it shoots up Gold goes down. Then someone says on the same reddits that the treatment from company x isn't tested properly or isn't the magic bullet. I then buy gold. The clickbait media runs with it a few days later, traders sh*t their pants, stocks go down and gold up. Rinse and repeat except instead of Gold (I have some) I mostly use silver.
    Cool story, bro.
    Last edited by Raffe; 6th August 2020 at 08:47. Reason: mixed up quotes