closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 169 of 178 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,450 of 8875

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    US CPI print on Thursday. Should make it an interesting gamble.
    Thursday is like next year for me....
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am buying some equities here.
    https://twitter.com/CNBCJou/status/1...LOkX3MJXQ&s=19

Seems to be some value out there in the UK at least

Thursday is like next year for me....
    Silly me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    No one is clever enough to forsee what happened, they haven't got crystal balls

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk
    There is an article about this in the Money Week magazine. The Next CEO was encouraged to convert his company scheme to LDIs and refused as he foresaw the current predicament and it states he wrote to the BoE on the matter in 2017 so they can’t say they weren’t forewarned. No crystal ball required.
    Last edited by Montello; 12th October 2022 at 14:09. Reason: Correction on the year

Lol, ok

Fair enough, interesting article

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lol, ok

Eh?

Fair enough, interesting article

Point is this was for seen and I don’t really see why “we” should be propping up the market. Looks like they have decided to stop, then we will see …
    Last edited by Montello; 12th October 2022 at 14:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Eh?

Point is this was for seen and I don’t really see why “we” should be propping up the market. Looks like they have decided to stop, then we will see …
    I’ve been wondering this too.

It seems that governments currently only exist to facilitate the transfer of taxpayers money to large risk-taking financial institutions

I’m not an expert (obviously) nor aware of everything that’s at play here, no doubt some on here are, but that’s how it appears to an outsider like me

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I’ve been wondering this too.

It seems that governments currently only exist to facilitate the transfer of taxpayers money to large risk-taking financial institutions

I’m not an expert (obviously) nor aware of everything that’s at play here, no doubt some on here are, but that’s how it appears to an outsider like me
    I don't pretend to understand all the complexities of the LDIs but I think it all boils down to creating leverage.

Seems it would have probably been OK for the fully funded DB schemes but it appears some underfunded schemes used LDIs to try and close the gap on their underfunding ... i'e they took risk ... when that risk doesn't work out I don't see why anyone else but those in the scheme and their administrators should carry the cost ...

Bitcoin fixes this, apparently. Best hedge against inflation, ever.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bitcoin fixes this, apparently. Best hedge against inflation, ever.
    Of course ... why did they bother with those government and corporate bonds when they could have gone all in on Bitcoin ...fools.

Master
    they took risk ... when that risk doesn't work out I don't see why anyone else but those in the scheme and their administrators should carry the cost ...
    Absolutely. The balance is weighted heavily in favour of those running the institutions- take risk and win, and they can pay out the pensions as agreed, and extract high fees and salaries. If the risk doesn’t pay off, they turn to taxpayers?

I don’t see how pension companies speculating on markets is the best means to save for ones retirement. I’m not sure what the answer is, just that that ain’t it. In my humble view of course.

But I expect it’s more complex than my simplistic view. My accountant advises me every year about adding surplus company funds to a pension, and the tax advantages of it, and every year he gets a polite no

We'll try and save half your salary every month then, get some interest from an ISA or anything safe

or 8% and use a pension to invest it for you

Easy choice really isn't it

Master
    Blog Entries
    We'll try and save half your salary every month then, get some interest from an ISA or anything safe

or 8% and use a pension to invest it for you

Easy choice really isn't it
    I have had a sceptical view of the pensions industry for years and as such have made my own arrangements.

I'm not happy when the tax payer bails out these institutions ... fair enough the pensioners should be protected(within limits) but the institutions that have let their customers down should take the hit not the tax payer. The pensioners should have to endure some level of "hair cut" IMHO as they chose these people to run their funds for them ... they could have done it themselves.

The people who are running these schemes are facing a margin call and they should have to dip in their own pockets (or those of their shareholders) rather than the BoE go on a buying spree to prop up the market to reduce their margin call ...

Well, if you can afford to make your own arrangements you are in a minority, well done anyway. Most people though require a pension fund to do the heavy lifting

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well, if you can afford to make your own arrangements you are in a minority, well done anyway. Most people though require a pension fund to do the heavy lifting

It’s not about affording to be able to do it it’s a matter of choosing.

Instead of piling contributions at source into a pension scheme I opted to pay tax and receive the income and then invest the money in ISAs and property.

This has some tax disadvantages but it does save fees and give me complete control. Plus I’m not exposed to an institution failing.

If people choose to outsource their retirement investment to an institution that’s fine but if they mess up I don’t see why the government should bail them out.

Tell that to someone on 11 quid an hour

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tell that to someone on 11 quid an hour

That’s a different discussion… what we are talking about here is institutions taking risk and getting bailed out by all when it goes wrong.

Not just institutions, several million people living on pensions .

I have had a sceptical view of the pensions industry for years and as such have made my own arrangements.

I'm not happy when the tax payer bails out these institutions ... fair enough the pensioners should be protected(within limits) but the institutions that have let their customers down should take the hit not the tax payer. The pensioners should have to endure some level of "hair cut" IMHO as they chose these people to run their funds for them ... they could have done it themselves.

The people who are running these schemes are facing a margin call and they should have to dip in their own pockets (or those of their shareholders) rather than the BoE go on a buying spree to prop up the market to reduce their margin call ...
    Hear, Hear...every point.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not just institutions, several million people living on pensions .

Indeed, the pensions should have some level of protection, but I’m not seeing the institutions or shareholders taking any of the hit …

If people choose to outsource their retirement investment to an institution that’s fine but if they mess up I don’t see why the government should bail them out.
    Same also applies to the housing market and the government should not intervene with policies to prop up house prices.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Same also applies to the housing market and the government should not intervene with policies to prop up house prices.
    Agreed, every time they meddle it just makes matters worse, the Stamp Duty holiday in Covid was meant to make property more affordable, what happened it just fuelled more price inflation.

Messing with markets never seems to work.

The average UK pension fund has been bearish on UK gilts (meaning they were underexposed to the long end of the curve) and their asset/liability ratio looks best in years after the recent rout.

The FT has looked beyond the headlines and has some interesting information.

Full article here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The average UK pension fund has been bearish on UK gilts (meaning they were underexposed to the long end of the curve) and their asset/liability ratio looks best in years after the recent rout.

The FT has looked beyond the headlines and has some interesting information.

Full article here.
    I’m not fully following that article as they have increased their bond holdings yet that is described as bearish?

It also acknowledges the leverage is too high in an attempt to close the funding gap.

I don’t really care how the manage these schemes as long as the don’t expect us, the BoE, to bail them out.

What's the thought on the FTSE 250 which is down -30% YTD? Too early to go back in? (FTSE 100 is down only 9% YTD).

Seems like there is little currency risk with the FTSE 250, like there is with overseas ETFs and even the multinationals in the FTSE 100. Significant risk if the £ does ever strengthen.

Anyone else feel like a good option to start drip feeding into the FTSE 250 starting in the next couple of months?

I’m not fully following that article as they have increased their bond holdings yet that is described as bearish?

It also acknowledges the leverage is too high in an attempt to close the funding gap.

I don’t really care how the manage these schemes as long as the don’t expect us, the BoE, to bail them out.
    They must match liabilities with investments, that's a hard requirements from the regulator. But the have some freedom to implement their market views, and the piece shows how successful they were: liabilities and assets matched during ZIRP, while the have gained a substantial advantage in the run-up of yields. That doesn't change the fact that asset values have dropped, but the BoE interventions weren't aimed at propping up the market value of assets but to keep markets orderly.

And again, there is no reason to believe that the tax payers will be left with costs, so far the BoE sists on a healthy mark-to-market profit on their interventions and the cash flow effect between long term interest income and short term expense is massive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They must match liabilities with investments, that's a hard requirements from the regulator. But the have some freedom to implement their market views, and the piece shows how successful they were: liabilities and assets matched during ZIRP, while the have gained a substantial advantage in the run-up of yields. That doesn't change the fact that asset values have dropped, but the BoE interventions weren't aimed at propping up the market value of assets but to keep markets orderly.

And again, there is no reason to believe that the tax payers will be left with costs, so far the BoE sists on a healthy mark-to-market profit on their interventions and the cash flow effect between long term interest income and short term expense is massive.
    So why have the BoE been buying up these gilts? If everything is rosy why not just step away and leave the market to find its own level?

Everything isn't rosy. Not by a long way.

So why have the BoE been buying up these gilts? If everything is rosy why not just step away and leave the market to find its own level?
    The answer is in the post that you quoted.

Buying back my Tesla, first time in weeks I am not massively short. Only keeping some OTM put options.

Trade of the year.

Why is everyone so buoyant?

Why is everyone so buoyant?

US stocks shot higher and Treasuries rallied on Thursday after October’s closely watched inflation data came in cooler than expected, setting the stage for lower Federal Reserve rate rises. Wall Street’s benchmark S&P 500 added 4.3 per cent in afternoon trading in New York, while the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite jumped 5.8 per cent. In government bond markets, the yield on the two-year Treasury, which is particularly sensitive to interest rate moves, slipped 0.3 percentage points to 4.32 per cent. The yield on the 10-year Treasury fell 0.28 percentage points to 3.86 per cent. Yields fall when prices rise. The bounce in markets came after the US consumer price index reading for October came in at 7.7 per cent, marking the smallest 12-month increase since January and a sharp drop in the annual rate of inflation of 8.2 per cent in September. Economists had forecast an 8 per cent rise.

FT

Quite honestly, I think it's B/S - whether the basket is 7.7% or 8% more expensive is noise, the Fed has made clear that they will keep raising until inflation moves back into their corridor of comfort. What we have seen today is an explosive relief rally after a couple of days of selling in low-quality names. Don't think this is a new trend, more a dead cat bounce. I still expect lower before we see a bottom.

Thanks, appreciate your time

“Inflation is actually negative already…..”

https://youtu.be/WqyN3D2pDGQ

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    “Inflation is actually negative already…..”

https://youtu.be/WqyN3D2pDGQ
    That will be good news for MSTR, TIGR and OUST. Time to average down, me thinks.

That will be good news for MSTR, TIGR and OUST. Time to average down, me thinks.
    I’ve been out of cash for months now. I averaged down as far as possible already. I broke all the rules in the “Investing 101” book. You know that already, Ralf.

(I know your post wasn’t serious and was meant as a sarcastic poke. I’m all out of humour just now)

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I’ve been out of cash for months now. I averaged down as far as possible already. I broke all the rules in the “Investing 101” book. You know that already, Ralf.

(I know your post wasn’t serious and was meant as a sarcastic poke. I’m all out of humour just now)
    I know and it was meant as a gentle reminder that risk management does serve a purpose. Some lessons are really painful, and don't think for a minute I haven't suffered plenty of those (and still continue to do). The most important is that we are making sure we learn from our mistakes and keep improving our process with every single one of them.

Master
    Morning All

any "tips" on Bonds that can be included in a SIPP

I need more diversification from Equities

Hah TIGR, pffft, I sure timed that one wrong, oh well never mind lesson learned.
    Last edited by Passenger; 11th November 2022 at 18:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Morning All

any "tips" on Bonds that can be included in a SIPP

I need more diversification from Equities
    some bond funds:
    https://www.ii.co.uk/ii-super-60#s60

Madness everywhere

https://twitter.com/Gareth_Davies09/...wN970SvIQ&s=19

Decent no risk rates here but depending on your tax status or income, might be subject to the personal savings allowance.

https://www.utbank.co.uk/deposits/personal/

Musk has gone over the edge

I thought this was fascinating but am not adept enough to figure out if the guy is talking doo doo or not

https://themarket.ch/interview/russe...x-boom-ld.7606

Tesla not having fun right now

On my work EV salary sacrifice scheme provided by Zenith, the Tesla model 3 is in stock and available for almost immediate delivery.

I don’t know if that says anything.

VW ID range is nearly on a year waiting list.

?

It's up versus yesterday's close.

?

It's up versus yesterday's close.
    Ah was looking at yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    On my work EV salary sacrifice scheme provided by Zenith, the Tesla model 3 is in stock and available for almost immediate delivery.

I don’t know if that says anything.

VW ID range is nearly on a year waiting list.
    They might have bulk ordered