closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 150 of 178 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,500 of 8875

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

MSTR will be over $1000 in the next week or month.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Having had the patience of a monk for the last many months....I'd like to exit with a some of the profit I expected when I bought in.

Balls of steel. (Or just stupid?).

I made my exit plan months ago and intend to stick to it. Just like I did with TIGR - doh.
    At least get out of half of it mate. Minimise the risk.

Must be a few Hargreaves Landsdown users on this thread?

Isn't it ridiculous that they don't allow you to set a buy/sell order or stop loss on USA/foreign listed stocks. You can only do it on UK LSE listed stocks.

I called them about it months ago and was told that they do offer all those things but you have to telephone them in the morning to ask for them to set up a buy/sell/limit/stop and they can do so. But.....they all expire at market close on the same day. So for me to have 2 or 3 laddered sell orders permanently set on MSTR, for example, I'd have to call them every morning to ask for it all to be set up.

Bonkers.

It seems common amongst UK SIPP/ISA platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    At least get out of half of it mate. Minimise the risk.
    And halve the return? You were the one advocating "get rich or go home" earlier in the year!

And halve the return? You were the one advocating "get rich or go home" earlier in the year!
    Yep but you nearly had a big loss and must have been tempted to sell up. It is so volatile I'd be tempted to halve the risk. Imagine how you'd feel if you lost it all. That's not beyond impossible with MSTR.

Agreed, yes, you're right.

On a serious note, I am playing very close attention to it, but am currently still comfortable holding on.

I think BTC is only just beginning it's current bull run and where BTC goes, MSTR seems to follow at 2X.

I take on board all the fear, uncertainty and doubt surrounding MSTR, but I’m still bullish that it will continue to perform well for another month or two. Then I expect it hit a spot of bother. Hopefully I’ll be out by then.

Edited as I saw a bit more sense. (Remembered how shite it felt to be underwater for month after month!)
    Last edited by mr noble; 9th November 2021 at 00:20.

MSTR will be over $1000 in the next week or month.
    Is that the faint glimmer of another wager I can see shimmering on the horizon?

Good idea Peter!

It may enable me to break even on the Argo bet I'm looking like losing.

I seem to be ok at breaking even. It's profit that's elusive in my portfolio.

MSTR @ $900 pre market.

Stuff Crypto...still sticking with familiar territory...be honest chaps its a market we know and we are aware they can sell everything they get from Rolex / PP / AP / VC etc ...at full margin 10x times over which is a pretty sound business model..FYE estimates looking good all being well...but will probably now slide.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Stuff Crypto...still sticking with familiar territory...be honest chaps its a market we know and we are aware they can sell everything they get from Rolex / PP / AP / VC etc ...at full margin 10x times over which is a pretty sound business model..FYE estimates looking good all being well...but will probably now slide.

WOS have really done a good job recently and have benefitted from the pandemic ... I wonder if they can keep this performance up?

Tesla predictably .......down 12% today , here's hoping he's selling and buying BTC

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Tesla predictably .......down 12% today , here's hoping he's selling and buying BTC

Elon with a few spare billion to splash around, something will get pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Hopefully he’ll get Doge to $1.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Hopefully he’ll get Doge to $1.
    Don't think so.

He will keep it in good old Dollar cash.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Matt Levine* at his best, again:

At the end of December 2020, Naked Brand Group Ltd. was a public company (ticker NAKD) with a $45 million market capitalization. As its name does not quite suggest, it was in the business of selling “Frederick’s of Hollywood intimates products, sleepwear and loungewear products, swimwear and swimwear accessories products, and costume products” over the internet. It had an annual loss of 73 million New Zealand dollars on revenue of 80 million NZD. (Naked is listed in the U.S., is incorporated in Australia, sells mostly online, and keeps its books in New Zealand dollars. I wouldn’t worry about it!)

At the end of January 2021, all of that was also true except that Naked’s stock price was up 759% for the month. Why? I guess the short answer is “meme stock.” People on Reddit decided it would be fun to buy shares of an online lingerie retailer. There was a lot of short interest in the stock, which attracts meme buyers. When Robinhood restricted purchases of GameStop Corp. and other meme stocks in late January, as the meme stocks were melting up, Naked was on the list; when Robinhood narrowed the list to only the eight memeiest stocks, Naked was one of them. It’s an inner-circle meme stock. One result of becoming a meme stock is that you can raise money. At the end of January, Naked raised $50 million by selling stock at $1.70 per share, higher than the stock had traded in a year. A month later, it raised another $100 million in a private placement at about $0.93 per share. One result of becoming a meme stock and raising money is that you can just do something different. Instead of being an online intimates-and-swimwear retailer, you can be … I am reading here “an electric-car company”?

Reddit-fuelled meme stock Naked Brand Group has acquired US-based electric vehicle startup Cenntro Auto Group in a reverse-scrip deal giving the former lingerie penny stock exposure to one of the hottest new tech themes. The Nasdaq-listed lingerie company, once behind brands such as Loveable and Pleasure State, shot to fame after Reddit traders piled in following “meme-stock” euphoria in early 2021, ballooning its shareholder base to over 900,000 investors. On Tuesday, Naked Brand announced it would swap 70 per cent of its outstanding shares plus $US282 million … for Cenntro Auto, an electric vehicle developer that has built and sold 4,000 commercial electric vehicles.

(...)

I don’t know! Capitalism is different now! It used to be that, if you were a struggling online lingerie retailer, you could try to sell more lingerie, or you could try to cut your costs of selling lingerie, or you could expand into some related apparel business lines, or you could shut down, I don't know, I’m sure there were more options, but if you went to an investment conference and said “I’m tired of lingerie let’s do electric cars” investors would be skeptical. But now sometimes you can be a struggling online lingerie retailer and get hit by Reddit lightning. And if that happens, you gotta seize the moment. “People are paying attention to us, we can raise money, only one choice here: electric cars.” (Honestly two choices: electric cars or crypto.) And off you go. Now you run an electric-car company. Congratulations.

Bloomberg Money Stuff

* If you want to read just one financial market comment per day, make it Matt Levine. You will never miss anything important and on most days will have a good laugh as well.

When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Interesting timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    If you want to read just one financial market comment per day, make it Matt Levine. You will never miss anything important and on most days will have a good laugh as well.
    Exempli gratia: "Much is made lately of Elon Musk's Twitter poll, so I propose writing this newsletter about it. Do you support this?"

And his mother did

* If you want to read just one financial market comment per day, make it Matt Levine. You will never miss anything important and on most days will have a good laugh as well.
    What do you think of ExecSum?

Argo versus Bitcoin.

#somethingnotright

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don't think so.

He will keep it in good old Dollar cash.
    Well he didn’t sit on his PayPal cash he ploughed it into new ventures, I expect the same again.

Must be a few Hargreaves Landsdown users on this thread?

Isn't it ridiculous that they don't allow you to set a buy/sell order or stop loss on USA/foreign listed stocks. You can only do it on UK LSE listed stocks.

I called them about it months ago and was told that they do offer all those things but you have to telephone them in the morning to ask for them to set up a buy/sell/limit/stop and they can do so. But.....they all expire at market close on the same day. So for me to have 2 or 3 laddered sell orders permanently set on MSTR, for example, I'd have to call them every morning to ask for it all to be set up.

Bonkers.

It seems common amongst UK SIPP/ISA platforms.
    You can - but need to complete a US tax form with them in advance (BEN10 or something).

I did it, can but anything on US exchanges, more or less, now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    W-8 BEN is the US tax form

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    You can - but need to complete a US tax form with them in advance (BEN10 or something).

I did it, can but anything on US exchanges, more or less, now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I simply cannot believe that.

As Bondurant has correctly stated, the W-8 forms are about tax status, with the W-8 Ben being a self-declaration by non-US-taxable persons (while the W-9 forms are identifying US-taxable persons, like US residents or US citizens). They have been introduced when the FATCA regulation was rolled out, which is a very smart mechanism to force US-taxable persons into their tax obligations. It basically works such, that the US has introduced a 30% withholding tax on all distributions and proceeds of US securities which can only be avoided when the final beneficiary files a W-8 form with their depositary (= bank, insurance or fund company). When the intermediary is applying for the waiver of the withholding tax, they are self-certifying that they have W-8 forms on file and are also subjecting themselves to audit rights by the IRS. Any intermediary allowing clients to own any US asset (equities, bonds or funds) without having the W-8 form on file, is subjecting themselves to huge costs, both in terms of very costly audits but also penalties of a size that can destroy any business (retroactive reclaim of all withholding tax amongst it).

If HL actually allowes clients to hold US assets without a W-8 on file, they are toast - as any person who would know that could blow the whistle with the IRS and subsequently could personally collect 10% of all penalties levied on HL as a result of the whistleblowing.

What the existence of a W-8 would have to do with the ability of placing longer-dated stock-exchange orders is completely beyond me, as it makes no sense.

You’ve miss understood. I’m not talking about not being able to buy US stocks (did my W8BEN form years ago) I’m talking about the inability to use stop losses or limit buy/sell orders to trade US stocks on Hargreaves Landsdown. It’s simply not possible. They say it’s due to the exchange rate issues with their IT systems, but it actually just because their whole platform is based on an antique computer system and they don’t want to spend the money or time to update it all.

Argo versus Bitcoin.

#somethingnotright

Yes - they had a raise. IPO on Nasdaq raised $120,000,000 so they can build the new Helios facility in Texas. It’s kinda stalled the share price growth for the time being.

Starting to gain traction over the last couple of days though.

They announced another $50-65m debt offering on Monday too, which seems to have had a good reaction and boosted the SP today and yesterday.

You’ve miss understood. I’m not talking about not being able to buy US stocks (did my W8BEN form years ago) I’m talking about the inability to use stop losses or limit buy/sell orders to trade US stocks on Hargreaves Landsdown. It’s simply not possible. They say it’s due to the exchange rate issues with their IT systems, but it actually just because their whole platform is based on an antique computer system and they don’t want to spend the money or time to update it all.
    I commented on the explanation provided by notenoughwrists, which if true would mean they are messing with the IRS. I literally said that it cannot be and is a b/s explanation. What is your point?

Yes - they had a raise. IPO on Nasdaq raised $120,000,000 so they can build the new Helios facility in Texas. It’s kinda stalled the share price growth for the time being.

They announced another $50-65m debt offering on Monday too, which seems to have had a good reaction and boosted the SP today and yesterday.
    So what was the benefit of the capital increase if the business lost substantially against the only benchmark which is relevant?

Huge value destruction, which was exactly my point in the post that you were quoting.

Never mind

Only $5Billion worth?

BBC News - Elon Musk: Tesla boss sells $5bn of shares after Twitter poll
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59243606

Cheers,

Adam.

5 done, 15 to go.

Maybe he’ll sell the next $5bn once it gets to $1500.

Maybe he’ll sell the next $5bn once it gets to $1500.
    Or, just maybe, today.

Or, just maybe, today.
    Correct answer was: He did sell yesterday.

Argo minus 10% since this post.

It will never get back to $1,236 in our lifetime.
    Down 14% since this message, nice shout

Down 14% since this message, nice shout

I am short from 1,155 - no immediate plans to cover. Let's see if we can get to 920 within the next couple of days.

All corner cases, I suppose?

$TSLAQ

Bought some TIGR at $7.29 for a quick Dollar trade.

I am short from 1,155 - no immediate plans to cover. Let's see if we can get to 920 within the next couple of days.
    Closed short and went long Tesla at $1,009 - looking for a bounce to $1,060 minimum until end of week.

Also bought PTON at $47.30 (Mom may also be in that trade, always a good warm feeling to be in her company).

Peleton announcing a shelf offering, not even two weeks ago during their earnings call they said no need to raise cash.

I am out, the first loss is the best.

Peleton announcing a shelf offering, not even two weeks ago during their earnings call they said no need to raise cash.

I am out, the first loss is the best.

Ouch

Ouch

Rather take a small loss than let it grow out of proportion. Don't want to sit with losses that have the risk to grow larger than the profits which I aimed for in the first place..

But then getting very handsomely paid for my Tesla long position, so no complaints.

Rather take a small loss than let it grow out of proportion. Don't want to sit with losses that have the risk to grow larger than the profits which I aimed for in the first place..

But then getting very handsomely paid for my Tesla long position, so no complaints.
    Tesla had to reward your patience eventually!

Lots of volatility right now, my SIPP guy wants me out of Vanguard LS80!

I am up bigly with Tesla. Got paid half of last year's profits on one short Tesla bet when markets collapsed in Feb/Mar 2020. Then have booked a nice almost-6-digit profit on a put position in the summer and numerous smaller longs and shorts. Tesla is my biggest money maker in the portfolio, maybe except for NAKD (would have to check the exact numbers).

Was short last week and long this week (sold half at $1,050 yesterday, have a trailing stop on the rest).

I am up bigly with Tesla. Got paid half of last year's profits on one short Tesla bet when markets collapsed in Feb/Mar 2020. Then have booked a nice almost-6-digit profit on a put position in the summer and numerous smaller longs and shorts. Tesla is my biggest money maker in the portfolio, maybe except for NAKD (would have to check the exact numbers).

Was short last week and long this week (sold half at $1,050 yesterday, have a trailing stop on the rest).
    Musk, the gift that keeps on giving

Wow I'm in LS100 so I'm guessing he wouldn't be a fan of that. What holding is he advising you to move it to?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Wow I'm in LS100 so I'm guessing he wouldn't be a fan of that. What holding is he advising you to move it to?
    Dunno yet, I retired last year at 55 and because I'm in drawdown already with the outlook bleak he is looking at paying an individual find manager, higher fees but better placed to weather a correction which he thinks is likely