closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 144 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,200 of 8872

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Remember Archegos?

Credit Suisse did today release their 172-page internal report about risk management failures leading to the debacle. At least they get a good read for their $5.5 billion.

https://archive.ph/U14l8
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Well NKLA has been in trouble since last year, and the stock has already suffered for Trevor's lies (remember Hindenburg, we discussed it at length in this thread at the time). Since Trevor has left the company already last year, this shouldn't have a material impact on the stock - but then I have been struggling to understand what about NKLA justifies that it still trades at a $5bln market cap. Maybe the last of the faithful are leaving the ship now? For me, this company is a donut, and has been for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Epic thread by Chris Bloomstran about the Robinhood IPO today:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBloomstran/...55137197215745

I will be looking for an opportunity to go short today. If you liked the COIN IPO, you will love this one.
    HOOD now past $50. Wonder if it’s an orchestrated pump?

Will probably get heavily shorted from here.

Bloody hell. Robinhood hit $84!!

Some serious pumping!!

Craftsman
    One for Raffe

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    One for Raffe

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    I moved away from Moto.

For the record, I sold the SP500 short at 4,440. Looking for a couple of hundred points down.

Maybe I am wrong and the dip must be bought once again, but I have a feeling the next one could be a bigger one.

Also tempted to short bitcoin, but holding off for the moment.

Yesterday I evaluated the 20 or so stocks/funds in my retirement portfolio. I ended up dumping three non-performers and adding two possible stars. Since I cashed in my winnings on those cheap airline stocks, my picks have only performed so-so. Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Yesterday I evaluated the 20 or so stocks/funds in my retirement portfolio. I ended up dumping three non-performers and adding two possible stars. Since I cashed in my winnings on those cheap airline stocks, my picks have only performed so-so. Time for a change.
    Same here, very poor trading results during the last three months, to the point that I have put almost whole portfolio in cash.

Thinking that we need a new trigger for some action, looking at China and the looming Evergrande default/restructuring as a candidate. Could become wobbly.

Will the new $1.1tn spending in infrastructure and the continued global money printing not keep it all afloat for longer and longer?

I concluded that the crash will only be a possibility once the governments all start tapering their QE.

Hopefully there won't be any destabilising event in the mid-east/Indian subcontinent that raises the risk of a humanitarian crisis and terrorism.....

Oops.

Argo Blockchain's journey to £4 has taken the leap I've been waiting for.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...5473-11_f1.htm

Pick all the holes you can, Raffe. (I'm sure there are a few. The dilution is not ideal, but it's pretty standard for a Nasdaq listing.)

ETA - That F1 document is longer than the bible! Do people have to read and digest every word!??
    Last edited by mr noble; 19th August 2021 at 21:27.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

Pick all the holes you can, Raffe. (I'm sure there are a few. The dilution is not ideal, but it's pretty standard for a Nasdaq listing.)

Not sure I have seen secondary listings with a combined capital increase before, but what do I know. The dilution is manageable and they certainly need the cash, so I would say that is rather positive news (provided they can sell at a decent price, which I don't have much doubts about).

What would concern me if I was long the stock that it has been falling during the past weeks while bitcoin and other cryptos were rallying. Some bigger accounts selling out, me thinks. After all, there is a lot of 'believe' in the share price, it could easily fall a lot and still be richly valued.

Good luck with your journey to 400p, my target remains at zero.

ETA - That F1 document is longer than the bible! Do people have to read and digest every word!??
    The risk disclosures are something to behold, all 50 (!!!) pages of them. Wow.

This is actually a disaster no? Going to be a huge diluted fund raise at a discount, just like the directors did before but now on a larger scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    This is actually a disaster no? Going to be a huge diluted fund raise at a discount, just like the directors did before but now on a larger scale.
    Is it?

$75 mio (before overallotment) is a good 10% dilution - but $75 mio on the account is crucial.

What the directors did was criminal: sell all their shares at the top while publicly pumping the stock.

Just checked: they replaced the full board of directors in July. What???
    Last edited by Raffe; 19th August 2021 at 22:14.

Oooo, that could be big news tomorrow.

I bought another 2500 shares this afternoon, on the dip.

(Also bought a load more TIGR @ $13.10)

Longer term, a Nasdaq listing and $75m in the bank with which to build their 200mw Texas data centre, ought to bring a massive uptick.

They didn’t replace the board of directors, they created one. They’ve brought some seriously top quality staff on board. Proper top flight people. £4 here we come. 😃

ARB is up a whole 3% on that news. TBH I hope it pumps as I am back in the stock but in a much smaller way than before. I bought back in at 118p so if it goes to 400p that would be very handy indeed

Longer term, a Nasdaq listing and $75m in the bank with which to build their 200mw Texas data centre, ought to bring a massive uptick.

They didn’t replace the board of directors, they created one. They’ve brought some seriously top quality staff on board. Proper top flight people. £4 here we come. 

Massive uptick this morning, have to give it to you:

They obviously had a board of directors or would have been in breach of requirements for a public limited company. They paid the old board (here a screenshot from the Wayback machine from one months ago) millions and then they replaced them all but one from one month to the other - with just a small news item on the website (interestingly this wasn't pushed out through all the marketing channels as they usually do). Very odd and probably cost a lot of money in redundancies again, only 20 months after they did the same with the former board. I suppose the old directors needed to be removed because they weren't good enough for the due diligence of US institutional investors. I am curious for director remuneration and share dealings in their upcoming regulatory filings. This stinks big time.

Not sure why you think the new directors are top flight people? They are certainly a more modern board (replacing the sad old white men with younger women), but none of them have any big credentials as company directors or executives. They may prove to be good, but they certainly aren't top flight people.

And now, onwards to 400p. Only 277p to go.

Massive uptick this morning, have to give it to you:
    To be fair, I did say that I expect an uptick after they’ve listed on Nasdaq and built the new facility in Texas. That’s a good 12-18 months away. Obviously the news in this last RNS was already expected so priced in.

Also, they did release an RNS, tweet and Peter Wall did a video giving a full intro to the new team and saying farewell to the outgoing members. (Who probably retired now they’ve made millions!)

So they did release the news via all their usual methods.

https://youtu.be/TUNTFR5a8vI

To be fair, I did say that I expect an uptick after they’ve listed on Nasdaq and built the new facility in Texas. That’s a good 12-18 months away. Obviously the news in this last RNS was already expected so priced in.

Also, they did release an RNS, tweet and Peter Wall did a video giving a full intro to the new team and saying farewell to the outgoing members. (Who probably retired now they’ve made millions!)

So they did release the news via all their usual methods.

https://youtu.be/TUNTFR5a8vI
    I never knew that is how being a director works: Being appointed, getting a truckload of shares, pump the stock and sell to bagholders, then retire for the next generation of directors to do the same.

I must be doing something fundamentally wrong then.

I know that nothing will be able to taint your rose-tinted view of Argo, let's wait for the remuneration/holdings disclosure and determine then how much of the new-found riches will have to be deployed into this board about-face. If they continue to replace the board every one and a half years, that'll be a material drag on future performance. But what do I know about corporate governance?

Finished the day up rather more.

Finished the day up rather more.

Yep Happy Days. BTC could hit above 150 this weekend so let's see.

That F1 document is longer than the bible! Do people have to read and digest every word!??
    The risk disclosures are something to behold, all 50 (!!!) pages of them. Wow.
    Lawyers, innit.

What would concern me if I was long the stock that it has been falling during the past weeks while bitcoin and other cryptos were rallying.
    Whilst MicroStrategy might not be the best yardstick I've just run a comparison of its recent correlation with BTC, alongside that of Argo Blockchain's using a 40 day moving window. If I've got it right then it would appear to provide some degree of support for your observation.

(It was a wet Saturday afternoon here in rural Worcestershire if you hadn't already guessed.)

Maybe the old directors needed to dump their stock...?

Took profits on ARB at 140p. May go up past 150p but with volatility I'm sure I'll get a chance to buy in Sub 100p again soon. Rinse and repeat

You. Could. Not. Make. This. Up.

MICROSTRATEGY INC FILES FOR POTENTIAL STOCK SHELF OFFERING

How do they find the bagholders? Honest question.
    And now all up and running by the look of it.

https://www.microstrategy.com/conten...08-24-2021.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    And now all up and running by the look of it.

https://www.microstrategy.com/conten...08-24-2021.pdf
    Have to give it to them: if they managed to sell at an average of $753.21 then they pretty much top-ticked it and screwed a maximum amount of their bagholders.

The fall could be massive

The fall could be massive
    Care to explain the graph you have shared?

What does it say, what do you expect to happen next and what exactly could be falling massively and why?

Care to explain the graph you have shared?

What does it say, what do you expect to happen next and what exactly could be falling massively and why?
    This is a decent explanation of what that graph is referring to (re the REPO/Reverse REPO market)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=H_wwzyAGPZw

The fear is that this amount of liquidity needed to prop the whole thing up isn't sustainable and/or could trigger hyperinflation.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 30th August 2021 at 14:52.

This is a decent explanation of what that graphis referring to (re the REPO market)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=H_wwzyAGPZw

The fear is that this amount of liquidity needed to prop the whole thing up isn't sustainable and/or could trigger hyperinflation.
    I know what a repo is.

Is the above graph showing liquidity that is provided or something for which liquidity needs to be provided? Why is this linked to hyperinflation? And again, what could be falling massively?

I know what a repo is.

Is the above graph showing liquidity that is provided or something for which liquidity needs to be provided? Why is this linked to hyperinflation? And again, what could be falling massively?
    Well obviously I'm a stable genius but not an economist but that being said assuming that graph is an indicator of money in the market, and the upward pointing line indicating lots of it in the market then more money in the market = less value of that money vs the same number of goods in the market = increase in the price of these goods. Now with reverse repo it could be that this is also an indication of banks buying treasuries to stash away excess cash but in any case so much liquidity has inflationary risks associated with it

Well obviously I'm a stable genius but not an economist but that being said assuming that graph is an indicator of money in the market, and the upward pointing line indicating lots of it in the market then more money in the market = less value of that money vs the same number of goods in the market = increase in the price of these goods. Now with reverse repo it could be that this is also an indication of banks buying treasuries to stash away excess cash but in any case so much liquidity has inflationary risks associated with it
    You said: "The fall could be massive"

What is it that we should expect to fall?

You said: "The fall could be massive"

What is it that we should expect to fall?
    Well if inflation is too high one would expect central bank action in the form of increasing interest rates and curtailing market liquidity which in an economy propped up on low interest rates and printed money could see a huge drop on equity valuations as a result. Many equities have all time high P/E ratios which has been explained away as specific to the low interest rate/high liquidity market we operate in. What if it no longer is a low interest rate/high liquidity market?

Well if inflation is too high one would expect central bank action in the form of increasing interest rates and curtailing market liquidity which in an economy propped up on low interest rates and printed money could see a huge drop on equity valuations as a result. Many equities have all time high P/E ratios which has been explained away as specific to the low interest rate/high liquidity market we operate in. What if it no longer is a low interest rate/high liquidity market?
    Wow.

All that you see in that chart?

You know what I see? The Fed is busy using reverse repos in order to put a floor under interest rates as excess liquidity is pressuring overnight interest rates.

The rest is the conclusion of some reddit economist hyperventilating about hyperinflation, repeated on a watch forum by somebody who has no clue what he is talking about.

Now put your money where your mouth is: what is your target price for your choice of S&P500 or FTSE100 for 31/12/2021? £50 charity bet?

Wow.

All that you see in that chart?

You know what I see? The Fed is busy using reverse repos in order to put a floor under interest rates as excess liquidity is pressuring overnight interest rates.

The rest is the conclusion of some reddit economist hyperventilating about hyperinflation, repeated on a watch forum by somebody who has no clue what he is talking about.

Now put your money where your mouth is: what is your target price for your choice of S&P500 or FTSE100 for 31/12/2021? £50 charity bet?
    Well let's see.

I'll take the bet. S&P at or above 4700 on 31/12/2021

Well let's see.

I'll take the bet. S&P at or above 4700 on 31/12/2021
    You don't seem to be too concerned about a massive fall in equities then?

Alright, I take the lower side of the bet.

You don't seem to be too concerned about a massive fall in equities then?
    Nope because I have a cunning plan to sell just before the drop and buy just before the rise. ;)

Nope because I have a cunning plan to sell just before the drop and buy just before the rise. ;)
    Great idea!

You should work in money management.

Ryan, Raffe - love that little financial battle, you tried Ryan but from this side you got owned

Indeed thanks Raffe...interesting debt comparison with 2000, today it's at almost 6 times higher...bubblicious, stagflation around the corner?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Indeed thanks Raffe...interesting debt comparison with 2000, today it's at almost 6 times higher...bubblicious, stagflation around the corner?
    I don't know, people always going for the extremes: hyperinflation, Japan-style deflation, stock market crash. Maybe it's neither one of them, just a few years of a volatile sideways consolidation? It's called a 'correction in time', just let time catch up with the exuberance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangloss
    ’It is demonstrable,’ said he, ‘that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for all being created for an end, all is necessarily for the best end.’