closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 103 of 178 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,150 of 8872

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Really? Tesla is at most 12% of SMT, yes there may be a wobble if Tesla heads downwards but its hardly panic stations. In the past day or so we have had comments on SMT varying from 'it is a licence to print money' to 'if you hold you well die penniless'* I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

* I admit I have exaggerated this for comic or at least dramatic effect ;-)

I’m still drip feeding into SMT on a monthly basis but decided to take some profits and employ elsewhere.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Sorry, but can't do that.

There is a number of reasons, it would require both a contractual framework (protecting both sides) and a reporting/measuring system which is simply not worth the effort.
    EToro?

Sorry, but can't do that.

There is a number of reasons, it would require both a contractual framework (protecting both sides) and a reporting/measuring system which is simply not worth the effort.
    Fair enough, I thought as much.

Mrs P's picks for the buy and hold 3 to 5 year timescale, since the start of December have gained 45 per cent, not Lambo buying territory, still pretty good though so will play a few more of her hunches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

Mrs P's picks for the buy and hold 3 to 5 year timescale, since the start of December have gained 45 per cent, not Lambo buying territory, still pretty good though so will play a few more of her hunches.
    That’s great, but only 2 months into your 36-60 month holding time. Fingers crossed they continue to go up over the whole period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

That’s great, but only 2 months into your 36-60 month holding time. Fingers crossed they continue to go up over the whole period.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely though I'll settle for less exciting rates of growth, can't go on like this.

Master

As an aside - is there a good site that lists shareholder benefits? (I'm not proposing buying shares for that purposes but it would be good to know of what possible benefits I might get from my portfolio).

Craftsman

Shareholder Benefits

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    As an aside - is there a good site that lists shareholder benefits? (I'm not proposing buying shares for that purposes but it would be good to know of what possible benefits I might get from my portfolio).
    Google is your friend 😉

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shareholder-perks

https://www.barclays.co.uk/smart-inv...lder-benefits/

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-worth-it.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Be aware that depending where your portfolio is held (ISA, SIPP, nominee account etc.), your stockbroker may not pass on these benefits.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    That’s why I don’t get involved, this type of ‘investing’ is a form of gambling and that’s something that doesn’t appeal to me.

I’m more interested in stable investments that return modest but relatively secure returns.
    I had a little dabble with Wealthify mainly for the bonus code from Money Saving Expert put in £400 and there's a £40 bonus once you've held your investment for 6 months. Not an exciting fund but thought with the bonus I couldn't go wrong. Currently growth since October 2020 is 6.79%

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Elon Musk: again, the bull in a China shop.

Musk should be removed as CEO from any publicly traded company and be banned from holding future positions.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Musk should be removed as CEO from any publicly traded company and be banned from holding future positions.
    He has made himself a small fortune, dogecoin us up 700+ % in the last month. It should not be allowed, he can just do this for any share and keep making huge gains.

TIGR is holding well around $26

Looking to buy back Tiger and KOPN on a pull back...

Bought back into SP500, but only small position so far. Also sold some GBP at 1.3748, but not deeply convinced about the trade.

No comment about TSLA/BTC.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I bought back into SMT at about 12% higher than I sold for.

Very annoying. Cost me a lot, that error of judgement, as well as the stamp duty.

It doesn’t look like the SMTrain is done yet.

Biden announcing more stimulus will be next.....

In other news.....interactive investors continue to excel as one of the worst companies I’ve ever had the misfortune to use.

I’ve now been trying to withdraw my money since last Monday, with no joy.

Countless telephone calls gone unanswered after 20-40 minutes on hold.

Eventually speak to someone who says they’ve made the bank transfer but has not. Start again.

I’ve just spent another 3 hours this afternoon trying to sort it (mostly on hold in the queue) and the lady said she’d done it at about 4pm. Bingo!!

No, not bingo. I’ve just had an email to say my withdrawal request has been cancelled as the address on my ii account and the address on the bank account doesn't tally. (But they’re identical)

My blood is boiling over.

What do I do??

Craftsman
    Did you fund the money to ii from the same account you are trying to withdraw to? I've not had trouble withdrawing the same account when needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    In other news.....interactive investors continue to excel as one of the worst companies I’ve ever had the misfortune to use.

Eventually speak to someone who says they’ve made the bank transfer but has not. Start again.

I’ve just spent another 3 hours this afternoon trying to sort it (mostly on hold in the queue) and the lady said she’d done it at about 4pm. Bingo!!

No, not bingo. I’ve just had an email to say my withdrawal request has been cancelled as the address on my ii account and the address on the bank account doesn't tally. (But they’re identical)

What do I do??

For avoidance of doubt, still in KPTI. Trying to build a base here, may not be the squeeze play that I expected but looked a bit into it and am comfortable holding it.

No fixed plan yet as to target price.

Master
    I bought back into SMT at about 12% higher than I sold for.

Very annoying. Cost me a lot, that error of judgement, as well as the stamp duty.

It doesn’t look like the SMTrain is done yet.

Biden announcing more stimulus will be next.....
    I did the same this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    He has made himself a small fortune, dogecoin us up 700+ % in the last month. It should not be allowed, he can just do this for any share and keep making huge gains.

TIGR is holding well around $26
    His influence/money roll out from Bitcoin too, Argo Blockchain which rises and falls on the BTC prices has today shot up 20% off Elon's spending..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    His influence/money roll out from Bitcoin too, Argo Blockchain which rises and falls on the BTC prices has today shot up 20% off Elon's spending..
    Ryan do you still have Argo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    For those interested in crypto. Take a look at KR1. They are a digital asset investment company that invests in various projects and have a great track record - just have a look through their RNS's. Not the easiest stock to buy as its listed on the Aquis Exchange, but if you have a HL account or Barclays, you could buy it in your ISA/SIPP. I'm following their portfolio of investments and atm the shares are trading below NAV (~10%) and the market is not giving any benefit to their recurring returns of their holdings either.

*disclaimer, I'm holding some, along with miners ARB & MARA.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    For those interested in crypto. Take a look at KR1. They are a digital asset investment company that invests in various projects and have a great track record - just have a look through their RNS's. Not the easiest stock to buy as its listed on the Aquis Exchange, but if you have a HL account or Barclays, you could buy it in your ISA/SIPP. I'm following their portfolio of investments and atm the shares are trading below NAV (~10%) and the market is not giving any benefit to their recurring returns of their holdings either.

*disclaimer, I'm holding some, along with miners ARB & MARA.
    Thanks for the pointer.

I hold Riot, Mara, Mstr and Arb already, but will take a look at KR1.

Ballistic day for the first 2, both 40% up. Then 30% and 20% respectively. Arb will open with a jump if the Bitcoin price stays at current levels or higher.

Big jumps fueled by inability of crypto exchanges to cope with load and demand and long KYC wait time. Investors have likely gone into the stocks as a proxy. Mstr holds 71k BTC so $3.1b but market cap is now $9.65b so a hefty premium (it was $1.5b when I first invested in it). I will likely take some profits later this week if things cool down on the crypto exchange demand.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Thanks for the pointer.

I hold Riot, Mara, Mstr and Arb already, but will take a look at KR1.

Ballistic day for the first 2, both 40% up. Then 30% and 20% respectively. Arb will open with a jump if the Bitcoin price stays at current levels or higher.

Big jumps fueled by inability of crypto exchanges to cope with load and demand and long KYC wait time. Investors have likely gone into the stocks as a proxy. Mstr holds 71k BTC so $3.1b but market cap is now $9.65b so a hefty premium (it was $1.5b when I first invested in it). I will likely take some profits later this week if things cool down on the crypto exchange demand.
    I'm showing my age when I describe crypto currencies as "Monopoly money!"

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Ryan do you still have Argo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I took some profits last week when BTC hit 38k. If only I'd known lol.

Will buy some more when BTC drops back to 35k as surely it will.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    ... or maybe your experience ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I'm 55 but the the long future of crypto makes more sense than the USD to me, at least you can't just keep generating BTC.

Master

What do I do??
    I just tried to set up my ‘nominated bank account details’ and it failed so I expect to be going through the same painful process.

Difference is my account holder name doesn’t tally with what they have so we’ll see if that’s more easily fixable. But from your post I’m not hopeful!!!

*edited to add - they sorted it in about 5 minutes on the phone. He did have to speak to the ‘payments’ team though Mr noble so might be worth mentioning
    Last edited by Peck; 9th February 2021 at 11:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I'm 55 but the the long future of crypto makes more sense than the USD to me, at least you can't just keep generating BTC.
    Why is that a thing?

With wealth creation and population growth, you'd expect the amount of money in circulation to increase.

I just don't get why it is an advantage that the number of BTCs is limited, for me this just means you will exclude large parts of mankind from ever owning the thing, even further increasing the wealth gap. But maybe that's what's it all about?

Closed my short cable position this morning, Dollar looks a little tired at the moment. Still think we will see a huge rally soon, but might need to gather a bit momentum first.

The SP500 also looks tired, but I am still accumulating for a go at 3,950/60 this week. Have more buy orders lined up at 3,900 and slightly below.

For the rest, it's sitting and waiting.

...at least you can't just keep generating BTC.
    The cap on the eventual amount of bitcoin in circulation is the consequence of a deliberate mechanism which is coded into the core software. However given sufficient consensus (or strong enough diktat) the mechanism could be adjusted, altered or essentially removed.

TIGR is having a nice push, lets hope it keeps on going

Master
    Why is that a thing?

With wealth creation and population growth, you'd expect the amount of money in circulation to increase.

I just don't get why it is an advantage that the number of BTCs is limited, for me this just means you will exclude large parts of mankind from ever owning the thing, even further increasing the wealth gap. But maybe that's what's it all about?
    Maybe a trust issue as BTC was the first bitcoin. I imagine it would have been difficult to get the buy in to an endless electronic currency?

Maybe a trust issue as BTC was the first bitcoin. I imagine it would have been difficult to get the buy in to an endless electronic currency?
    I get it why making the number of units finite makes sense if one wanted to create an electronic asset.

I just don't understand how this makes sense in an economy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There must be huge armies of hackers trying to exploit BTC ... as the price goes up the rewards for breaking the blockchain go up ...

The whole gig is based on trust and security and I don't see who is taking ownership of the security of the blockchain and making sure it is both secure and robust.

One day I'm expecting someone will crack it and there will be an almighty crash ...

I'd rather be in regulated investment grade assets not some internet scheme dreamt up by some unknow person.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    There must be huge armies of hackers trying to exploit BTC ... as the price goes up the rewards for breaking the blockchain go up ...

The whole gig is based on trust and security and I don't see who is taking ownership of the security of the blockchain and making sure it is both secure and robust.

One day I'm expecting someone will crack it and there will be an almighty crash ...

I'd rather be in regulated investment grade assets not some internet scheme dreamt up by some unknow person.

will only be a matter of time until some serious hacking/ theft goes on or news comes out the mafia and drug cartels are using it etc. What happens then, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    will only be a matter of time until some serious hacking/ theft goes on or news comes out the mafia and drug cartels are using it etc. What happens then, who knows.
    The Mafia and drug cartels are basically the only real users of it these days (may have forgotten about international arms dealers and Al-Qaeda).

Master
    The Mafia and drug cartels are basically the only real users of it these days (may have forgotten about international arms dealers and Al-Qaeda).
    i bet they couldnt believe their luck when this was created!!

For avoidance of doubt, still in KPTI. Trying to build a base here, may not be the squeeze play that I expected but looked a bit into it and am comfortable holding it.

No fixed plan yet as to target price.
    ... and here we go, trading at $16.98

D'you reckon 25 is overly ambitious Raffe?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    D'you reckon 25 is overly ambitious Raffe?
    Got no idea for the time being, but I like the momentum. I will post if and when I sell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

I don't see who is taking ownership of the security of the blockchain and making sure it is both secure and robust.
    No one person, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    No one person, thankfully.
    Not a single person, regrettably.

Master
    Not a single person, regrettably.
    I’d place more trust in a crowd of tens of thousands than any single person, but each to their own.

Master
    I’d place more trust in a crowd of tens of thousands than any single person, but each to their own.
    "in an avalanche no single snowflake feels responsible"

I'd rather have someone who is in charge when the stuff hits the fan.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    My personal forecast is that one day it will all come crashing down in some huge hack / theft /scandal and we will wonder how it ever got as big as it did...

Edit: Just looked up this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency_and_crime

There have been many cases of bitcoin theft.[8] As of December 2017, around 980,000 bitcoins have been stolen from cryptocurrency exchanges.[9]

One type of theft involves a third party accessing the private key to a victim's bitcoin address,[10] or of an online wallet.[11] If the private key is stolen, all the bitcoins from the compromised address can be transferred. In that case, the network does not have any provisions to identify the thief, block further transactions of those stolen bitcoins, or return them to the legitimate owner.[12]

Theft also occurs at sites where bitcoins are used to purchase illicit goods. In late November 2013, an estimated $100 million in bitcoins were allegedly stolen from the online illicit goods marketplace Sheep Marketplace, which immediately closed.[13] Users tracked the coins as they were processed and converted to cash, but no funds were recovered and no culprits identified.[13] A different black market, Silk Road 2, stated that during a February 2014 hack, bitcoins valued at $2.7 million were taken from escrow accounts.[14]

Sites where users exchange bitcoins for cash or store them in "wallets" are also targets for theft. Inputs.io, an Australian wallet service, was hacked twice in October 2013 and lost more than $1 million in bitcoins.[15] GBL, a Chinese bitcoin trading platform, suddenly shut down on 26 October 2013; subscribers, unable to log in, lost up to $5 million worth of bitcoin.[16][17] In late February 2014 Mt. Gox, one of the largest virtual currency exchanges, filed for bankruptcy in Tokyo amid reports that bitcoins worth $350 million had been stolen.[18] Flexcoin, a bitcoin storage specialist based in Alberta, Canada, shut down in March 2014 after saying it discovered a theft of about $650,000 in bitcoins.[19] Poloniex, a digital currency exchange, reported in March 2014 that it lost bitcoins valued at around $50,000.[20] In January 2015 UK-based bitstamp, the third busiest bitcoin exchange globally, was hacked and $5 million in bitcoins were stolen.[21] February 2015 saw a Chinese exchange named BTER lose bitcoins worth nearly $2 million to hackers.[22]

A major bitcoin exchange, Bitfinex, was hacked and nearly 120,000 bitcoins (around $60M) was stolen in 2016. Bitfinex was forced to suspend its trading. The theft is the second largest bitcoin heist ever, dwarfed only by Mt. Gox theft in 2014. According to Forbes, "All of Bitfinex's customers,... will stand to lose money. The company has announced a cut of 36.067% across the board."[23] Following the hack the company refunded customers.[citation needed] On 6 December 2017, more than $60 million worth of bitcoin was stolen after a cyber attack hit the cryptocurrency-mining platform NiceHash. According to the CEO Marko Kobal and co-founder Sasa Coh, bitcoins worth US$64 million were stolen, although users have pointed to a bitcoin wallet which held 4,736.42 bitcoins, equivalent to $67 million.[24][25]

On May 7, 2019, hackers stole over 7000 Bitcoins from the Binance Cryptocurrency Exchange, at a value of over 40 million US dollars. Binance CEO Zhao Changpeng stated: "The hackers used a variety of techniques, including phishing, viruses and other attacks.... The hackers had the patience to wait, and execute well-orchestrated actions through multiple seemingly independent accounts at the most opportune time." [26]

Thefts have raised safety concerns. Charles Hayter, founder of digital currency comparison website CryptoCompare said, "It's a reminder of the fragility of the infrastructure in such a nascent industry."[27] According to the hearing of U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Small Business on April 2, 2014, "these vendors lack regulatory oversight, minimum capital standards and don't provide consumer protection against loss or theft."[28]
    Last edited by Montello; 9th February 2021 at 18:33.