closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 145 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,250 of 8872

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I don't know, people always going for the extremes: hyperinflation, Japan-style deflation, stock market crash. Maybe it's neither one of them, just a few years of a volatile sideways consolidation? It's called a 'correction in time', just let time catch up with the exuberance.
    Time the great healer, absolutely, alongside tailing off the QE and other extraordinary measures and a gradual return to something akin to 'historic' interest rates

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Indeed thanks Raffe...interesting debt comparison with 2000, today it's at almost 6 times higher...bubblicious, stagflation around the corner?
    Were the fed printing money in 2000 at the rate they did in 2020 (25% more in a year!)?
    Are all these bubbles we are surrounded by asset price inflation due to all these extra dollars that didn’t apply in 2000?

A lot of tweets to say this

For those looking to capitalize on the likelihood of a downturn in broad equity markets while still benefiting from long commodity exposure, we think short positions in overvalued stocks are worthy of consideration.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Were the fed printing money in 2000 at the rate they did in 2020 (25% more in a year!)?
    Are all these bubbles we are surrounded by asset price inflation due to all these extra dollars that didn’t apply in 2000?
    Is the Fed actually printing money? I know it's a popular statement and every Reddit economist likes to bang that drum all day and all night - but it's simply not true.

But who cares about how quantitative easing really works when one can scream hYpeRiNflAtiOn! at the top of their voice.

Sorry for interrupting your rants with my rant, you can carry on now.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    A lot of tweets to say this

For those looking to capitalize on the likelihood of a downturn in broad equity markets while still benefiting from long commodity exposure, we think short positions in overvalued stocks are worthy of consideration.

TSLAQ

Here's another one to sell: MicroTragedy.

At least the insiders seem to agree, CFO, CTO and CAO dumping their shares. I thought the only way was up?

https://www.secform4.com/insider-trading/1050446.htm

Right hand column shows value of shares sold, price, and then “shares owned” which I had assumed meant the number of shares that person still owns after their sale…..but you see that number being zero, then a few days or weeks later the same person is selling more shares….and again and again……so what does that “shares owned” mean if not how many shares they own?

Or are they able to magically give themselves more shares?

SQ
    FTNT

Thinking that we need a new trigger for some action, looking at China and the looming Evergrande default/restructuring as a candidate. Could become wobbly.
    Oopsies.

https://archive.ph/ptWqZ

Here's another one to sell: MicroTragedy.
    It's now just over a year since MicroStrategy publicly started out on its cryptographic adventure. Whilst being somewhat unconvinced by the game plan, I was however impressed by their initial openness. Each bitcoin purchase was explained, duly filed and a press release sent out within 24 hours of the cash being fished out from down the back of the corporate sofa. OK you can always argue that it was a two way street and they made the most of the consequent publicity to push up the share price, which also incidentally happened to do no harm to the value of the director's options. It was still a considerable improvement on the practises and behaviour of some similar organisations and their high profile leaders though.

One of the consequences of this transparency was that modelling and illustrating the values underlying the pricing of the shares was relatively straight forward, as explained by Raffe at the time.

Unfortunately the mood appears to have changed in Tysons Corner and their approach feels rather more clandestine. Currently it seems like considerable effort is going into obfuscating their financials in so far as regulations and legality will allow.

Perhaps it's time to revisit the JP Morgan basket of cryptocurrency related notes - of which MicroStrategy happens to be the heaviest weighted constituent - to see how that's doing. Can anyone confirm the launch, which was scheduled for the end of March this year actually took place or indeed any other recent information?

Evergrande default now pretty much certain. Looks like $300 billion of debt going to disappear into a black hole within the next week or so. That will have ripple effects, unpaid contractors, fire sales of real estate assets in China and elsewhere, banks in trouble. No doubt that China will put a lid on the domestic troubles, but they won't protect non-Chinese creditors.

We may even find out about who is holding their short-dated debt. I have a hunch it may be Tether? The ripple effects could be endless. Buckle up.

'inflationary pressures'

Right

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status...881218050?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    And now all up and running by the look of it.

https://www.microstrategy.com/conten...08-24-2021.pdf
    Not only the company has been a massive stock seller, but also its officers.

Where were the signs?

https://protos.com/microstrategy-sto...hanks-bitcoin/

Clover Health (CLOV) seems to be one of the meme stonks gaining momentum on WSB (over 45k members in the R/CLOV subreddit). For transparency I bought a modest amount last week and only on the basis that I sensed more noise around it and that the business model is more aligned to the kind of thing WSB may get behind and pump. A total gamble basically although I am currently 25% up.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Clover Health (CLOV) seems to be one of the meme stonks gaining momentum on WSB (over 45k members in the R/CLOV subreddit). For transparency I bought a modest amount last week and only on the basis that I sensed more noise around it and that the business model is more aligned to the kind of thing WSB may get behind and pump. A total gamble basically although I am currently 25% up.
    You aren't up anything unless you sell and really why haven't you?

You aren't up anything unless you sell and really why haven't you?

I'll keep it on the very slim chance it does a Gamestop and goes up 100x

Hmm. Today's performance;

The ripples are getting bigger

The ripples are getting bigger

You ain't seen nothing yet.

The equity market is notoriously slow to process news like this. I have been short the SP500 for a couple of days via a bear spread and I am planning to hold this.

Been watching British Airways (IAG) from the sidelines for over a year. Nearly bought on the 2nd dip below 100 and regretted not doing so as it hit 220.

Just took the plunge and bought in at 148. I think upside from here is bigger than downside, and am happy for it to be a long term hold. Will buy more if it dips further.

Crunch time, Evergrande has informed banks that it will miss interest payments due to 20 September. This reminds me of early February 2020, when people were dying from COVID-19 on the streets in China while the US stock markets was at highs.

I have sold a third of my short puts on the sp covering my outlay and now waiting for the rest to go tenfold. Potential big implications for crypto as well, with Tether rumoured to be a big owner of Evergrande commercial paper.

Craftsman
    Anyone have a view on Sainsbury's? Shares went up 15% last month on takeover rumours but have settled back down a bit...

Master
    I’ve gone nuclear with a couple of long term investments - Rolls Royce (Small Modular Reactors) and Yellow Cake (London based Uranium storage). Check back in 5 years to see how I’m doing, well the original title was where to invest.

This ought to help Argo a little.

It’s been a long time coming.

Finally, the Robinhood brigade can buy in.

Next stop Ł4.

https://www.webull.com/quote/nasdaq-arbk

Getting a bit rocky isn't it

Getting a bit rocky isn't it

Where were the signs?

When will we start to see news of Evergrande officially missing their interest payments? I think I read that they're due to pay on 21 and 23 September, so will this be early tomorrow morning?

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul View Post
    When will we start to see news of Evergrande officially missing their interest payments? I think I read that they're due to pay on 21 and 23 September, so will this be early tomorrow morning?
    There are interest payments on both a Renminbi and a Dollar bond due Thursday.

Meanwhile, contagion starts with other property developers listed in Hong Kong (to add insult to injury, Shanghai stock exchange closed for two days of national holiday):

^ ^ ^ If you liked Sinic Holdings two weeks ago at HK$4.17, you must absolutely love it today at HK$0.48

My brother in law bought a focus ST almost a year ago, only just got a build date due to chip shortage. You can read now that some cars are being modified in the factory with less options due to chip shortage .

Sinic Holdings, great company name.

Edit: Any views on energy companies potentially getting "emergency loans" to take on unprofitable customers from the smaller, newer energy companies due to go bust in the coming days? Probably a good thing for utility cos.

https://www.ft.com/content/f3934ef0-...b-21114fc76b53
    Last edited by gingerpaul; 20th September 2021 at 12:19.

So how bad is this Evergrande deal going to affect those of us who only invest through the likes of Vanguard Pensions and ISA's?
    Is it time to cash in for a while?

Cheers,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    So how bad is this Evergrande deal going to affect those of us who only invest through the likes of Vanguard Pensions and ISA's?
    Is it time to cash in for a while?

Cheers,

Adam.
    Pensions have a diversified portfolio , I think LS80 is 56% world equities and 5% in Asia last time I looked for example

Pensions have a diversified portfolio , I think LS80 is 56% world equities and 5% in Asia last time I looked for example

That's true, but in the worst case this is not going to be limited to Asia (Lehman wasn't limited to the US).

Not saying this worst case is going to happen, but diversification is only going to protect you until it doesn't.

Blog Entries
    All I know is tinkering has only ever always cost me more than it saved. So whatever happens I'm sticking with what I have and continuing my monthly top ups.

I just bought some equities, but this is strictly a trading position which I an (and will) sell if it goes lower.

Oh well as my man keeps telling me, stop looking at the pension balance ( worst thing they ever did was give us sign ins he said )

It's a long term investment etc etc

etc etc doing a lot of heavy lifting

Gotta look on the bright side

Pension down, crypto down, savings down

House value up, second hand car price up, watch value up if you bought the right one

As a wise man once said, what counts over the long term is time in the market, not timing the market.

Buying more.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buying more.
    What specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    What specifically?
    ES futures

Master
    Blog Entries
    ES futures
    Is that and S&P500 based product?

Is that and S&P500 based product?
    Sorry, yes. They are the S&P mini futures, suppose the most popular and most liquid equity future there is. One point variation in the S&P is $50 profit or loss.

There are also non-mini S&P futures ($500 per point) and the micros ($5 per point).

Currently long ES and RTY futures, RTY is the mini Russel 2000 (also $50 per point).

Hmmmm....

Bought where the blue arrow is. Not looking to good. Will wait only little longer.

Sorry, yes. They are the S&P mini futures, suppose the most popular and most liquid equity future there is. One point variation in the S&P is $50 profit or loss.

There are also non-mini S&P futures ($500 per point) and the micros ($5 per point).

Currently long ES and RTY futures, RTY is the mini Russel 2000 (also $50 per point).
    What platform do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    What platform do you use?
    IBKR.

Now back in the money with both trades. I am looking to sell into the bounce and go short at higher levels for another leg down tomorrow.

Master
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the explanation; not on my investment radar but good to learn more.

I assume you are hoping for a bounce then a further slide downwards.

Do you ever hold a position for a long timeframe (e.g. years)?

What do you think a sensible value of the S&P500 is? ... wasnt that long ago that the pre-covid peak was 3,400
    Last edited by Montello; 20th September 2021 at 18:59.

Thanks for the explanation; not on my investment radar but good to learn more.

I assume you are hoping for a bounce then a further slide downwards.
    Yep.

Do you ever hold a position for a long timeframe (e.g. years)?
    Not in this account.

What do you think a sensible value of the S&P500 is? ... wasnt that long ago that the pre-covid peak was 3,400
    I have no idea and honestly don't care much. It goes up and down and that is all that I am interested in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not in this account.
    Noted, but I’m curious do you hold any assets long term or are just constantly trading in and out on short timescales?