closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 58 of 178 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,900 of 8872

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Paul Krugman on gold. The comments are also interesting.

No serious economist talks about a money-like utility of gold. It doesn't exist.
    What about Lambos though? When moon?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What about Lambos though? When moon?
    Soon enough.

Craftsman
    Paul Krugman on gold. The comments are also interesting.

No serious economist talks about a money-like utility of gold. It doesn't exist.
    With likely low bond yields for the foreseeable as governments can't risk putting up interest rates, does that infer potentially 2-3 years of increasing gold prices based on the 2008-9 comparison and our current situation?

Should be a big rise for silver today. Like c 5% or more

Should be a big rise for silver today. Like c 5% or more
    LOLZ, is that a forecast?

Given that the future is up about 4%, you are forecasting something which has happened in the past.

The SEC is on it now, opened an investigation after a letter from Liz Warren.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/the...of2&yptr=yahoo
    Federal loan put on hold until all allegations have cleared. KODK down another 45% pre-market.

Can't believe I couldn't borrow stock when I wanted to short this at $45. Actually, it isn't too late as I predict it will close the week at $2.

Master
    Federal loan put on hold until all allegations have cleared. KODK down another 45% pre-market.

Can't believe I couldn't borrow stock when I wanted to short this at $45. Actually, it isn't too late as I predict it will close the week at $2.
    From Twitter: Interesting to see what develops :-)

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Interesting to see what develops :-)
    Would you care to enlarge on that?

From Twitter: Interesting to see what develops :-)
    Jeez. I'll bet a load of bedroom hodlers just got wiped out

Jeez. I'll bet a load of bedroom hodlers just got wiped out
    Only if they were overexposed. (OK, OK, I'll stop now.)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Only if they were overexposed. (OK, OK, I'll stop now.)
    Looks like this thread got a bit snappy.

I sense that something is happening in the markets right now. Nasdaq rolling over, some of the nonsensical Robinhood darlings falling apart. Watch out.
    Everything in reverse again this morning, NKLA +14%

Interesting that TSLA seems to be looming around directionless, noticed that for a couple of days already. Unchanged today while all the Robinhood darlings are strong.

Master
    Raffe, can professionals (like yourself) still make money in times like these with markets being so unpredictable? Common sense seems to have no bearing, which must make it twice as difficult?

Raffe, can professionals (like yourself) still make money in times like these with markets being so unpredictable? Common sense seems to have no bearing, which must make it twice as difficult?
    I am not a day trader and do not depend on trading income for my day to day. But I have a 30 year history in the money management industry: I started with trading, then managed money, then people who manage money and finally became the CEO and board member of fund management companies. I thought that I had seen it all, but what's happening right now can only be compared to the 1999/2000 dotcom bubble. We will obviously only know it was a bubble after it burst, so just a theory so far.

To answer your question: I am struggling big time, have racked up losses during the past couple of months and my year would be deeply red if it wasn't for my short positioning during the February/March selloff. Still, very frustrating to have traded the crisis so well initially and then seeing it all disappear through a black hole. With hindsight, I should have been much smarter and should have understood what was going on in terms of herd behaviour/FOMO trading much earlier. I fear it's a bit late to enter the long side of the market now, but it certainly wasn't too late in May/June.

Master
    ^^ So it would probably follow that there must be a hell of a lot of amateurs losing money, if the people who know what they're doing are finding it difficult.

I'm remaining completely out of the market with my SIPP until there's some sort of fall back.

^^ So it would probably follow that there must be a hell of a lot of amateurs losing money, if the people who know what they're doing are finding it difficult.

I'm remaining completely out of the market with my SIPP until there's some sort of fall back.
    We are still 20% under March high

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I don't think this clip has been posted yet.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CC4Y05lgKtP/
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 10th August 2020 at 15:36.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    We are still 20% under March high

The big question is ... is this it or will the economic reality drag the market down more than central banks can prop it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The big question is ... is this it or will the economic reality drag the market down more than central banks can prop it up?
    Well a SIPP is a long term investment after all, yet it seems many want to make profits every week

My SIPP is back to March value and we've still got 20% to go, so peaks and troughs are to be expected

The five biggest stocks in the S&P500 are aggregating almost 25% of its total market cap.

Craftsman
    Whatever happened to good old Pareto 80 - 20 rule

The five biggest stocks in the S&P500 are aggregating almost 25% of its total market cap.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Whatever happened to good old Pareto 80 - 20 rule
    Close enough: the largest 100 companies (20% of the S&P500 constituents) are representing just over 70% of its marketcap.

I am not a day trader and do not depend on trading income for my day to day. But I have a 30 year history in the money management industry: I started with trading, then managed money, then people who manage money and finally became the CEO and board member of fund management companies. I thought that I had seen it all, but what's happening right now can only be compared to the 1999/2000 dotcom bubble. We will obviously only know it was a bubble after it burst, so just a theory so far.

To answer your question: I am struggling big time, have racked up losses during the past couple of months and my year would be deeply red if it wasn't for my short positioning during the February/March selloff. Still, very frustrating to have traded the crisis so well initially and then seeing it all disappear through a black hole. With hindsight, I should have been much smarter and should have understood what was going on in terms of herd behaviour/FOMO trading much earlier. I fear it's a bit late to enter the long side of the market now, but it certainly wasn't too late in May/June.
    Fair play for being honest

I'm one of those amateurs and I know 3 other people dealing in this crisis, only one of them has a history of buying/selling stocks, so many people must be trading blind, they will either leave their money in and follow the loss or will sell whats left if markets take a dive..

After last weeks and today's rises my main investment is getting to a level where I'll sell the majority to secure my core money, the rest I'm happy to leave long term.

As Raffe said previously, it feels like something is going on, it must be a matter of time before the markets and economies right themselves to equal levels..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I'm one of those amateurs and I know 3 other people dealing in this crisis, only one of them has a history of buying/selling stocks, so many people must be trading blind, they will either leave their money in and follow the loss or will sell whats left if markets take a dive..

After last weeks and today's rises my main investment is getting to a level where I'll sell the majority to secure my core money, the rest I'm happy to leave long term.

As Raffe said previously, it feels like something is going on, it must be a matter of time before the markets and economies right themselves to equal levels..
    So I read that as you are trading even. Why on earth did you bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Well, like you I have too much money so thought I would have a play at trading

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Well, like you I have too much money so thought I would have a play at trading
    Understood!

Understood!
    In all honesty I done well for the amount of money I was investing but a recent drop has left me hanging for a few weeks, as I said before it looks like at some point there will be a market correction, with that in mind I'm hoping to keep my profits in shares and take my investment out, not quite at 7 figures yet though

Dow is 6% away from it’s all time high.

FTSE is still 23.5% away from it’s all time high.

Craftsman
    Love that. And he gets the reward after flinging it.

Craftsman
    Just sold out (auto sell@414) of one of my sipp buys pre covid in codemasters, great run gaming company. At 42% I'm happy as it was a speclative pre covid due to them being underpriced, really should have topped up when covid brought the price down to 220.

Lucky its in my pension or the returns would go on a new VC.

Only 5 shares in the red

Only 5 shares in the red

I hear the Russian vaccine will save the world. Don't tell Ryan.

Trump stymlus package 3 million billion trillion trillion

Trump stymlus package 3 million billion trillion trillion

More like zero?

The tax holiday won't reach employees as companies will withhold the money until it becomes due in December and the jobless benefits are contingent on states setting up a new state programs which will take months until operatioonal.

My bold prediction: not a penny of fresh federal money will go to US families before November 3rd.

Yeah but as long as the US banks are ok

Yeah but as long as the US banks are ok

As long as the Fed is buying Apple bonds and makes the Apple CEO a billionaire...

Master
    Blog Entries
    As long as the Fed is buying Apple bonds and makes the Apple CEO a billionaire...
    Why would Apple issue bonds, they are swimming in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Why would Apple issue bonds, they are swimming in cash.
    They famously have huge, huge loans because their cash is overseas and to access that cash they need to bring it to the US and pay big taxes. The interest rates on the loans is negligible compared to the tax on cash repatriation. My guess is bonds are a variation of this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    They famously have huge, huge loans because their cash is overseas and to access that cash they need to bring it to the US and pay big taxes. The interest rates on the loans is negligible compared to the tax on cash repatriation. My guess is bonds are a variation of this.
    What a farce. Perfect opportunity for the US to enforce them to repatriate their cash and contribute to the tax take.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Apple actually repatriated 285 billion Dollars in overseas cash to the US following Trump's tax cut, costing them about 40 billion Dollars in tax. After a special dividend, they are now still holding over 200 billion Dollars in cash domestically - which hasn't kept them from borrowing 7 billion Dollars in a 3% 30-year bond sale in 2019.

Dow Jones now back to 28k and s&p 500 within 1% of its all time high precov19.
    Has the US sorted its covid problem ? (its worse now than it was 4 months ago) & over 30 million people are claiming unemployment benefit if you includes gig workers & self employed claimants.

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/08/06/nu...rket-collapse/

what could possibly go wrong?

Heavy profit-taking in silver , currently down 7% at $27.10 an ounce - still more than double March levels. Gold down approx 4% at $1953 an ounce.

Also interesting: third day in a row with Dow Jones up and Nasdaq down. Since market open on Friday, the performance gap between Dow and Nasdaq has been 5%.

Heavy profit-taking in silver , currently down 7% at $27.10 an ounce - still more than double March levels. Gold down approx 4% at $1953 an ounce.

Good to see some profit taking, healthy in any bull market - i can't imagine it will continue to dip under $30 for that long. I like a bit of volatility - often a sign that things are getting more interesting..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Good to see some profit taking, healthy in any bull market - i can't imagine it will continue to dip under $30 for that long. I like a bit of volatility - often a sign that things are getting more interesting..
    True. What are your thoughts on gold/silver price end of this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rutger View Post
    True. What are your thoughts on gold/silver price end of this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mmmmm...tricky i think theres two possibilities- one we blast through $50 and therefore go to low 60s or we get bogged down the run up to $50 in the mid 40s. It’s a massive historic target and it failed last time and everyone will be nervous and profit taking (as i will be).

Anyone for a silver bet for the end of the year? The loser puts 50 quid into the forum charity.

Anyone for a silver bet for the end of the year? The loser puts 50 quid into the forum charity.
    State your bet then I'll let you know