closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 35 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 8872

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Just made another attempt at shorting the market. Sold at 25,395.

I am still sitting on a fairly large option position but that looks like it will expire out of the money unless we see a big selloff.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Feels like a late Friday sell-off will come today...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Feels like a late Friday sell-off will come today...
    Based on what?

I can’t see much major new news.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Based on what?

I can’t see much major new news.
    The Dollar is already reacting strongly to the civil war which is starting in Minneapolis.

Maybe just some profit taking so they can all buy new watches

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The Dollar is already reacting strongly to the civil war which is starting in Minneapolis.
    Tragic though that is it’s not the first time and isn’t significant in the context of global markets.

Tragic though that is it’s not the first time and isn’t significant in the context of global markets.
    We will see how significant it is/becomes in the context of global markets. I found it already remarkable that the de-facto annexation of Hong Kong by China didn't register in risk sentiment. Lots of people seem to be relying on the Fed bailing them out no matter what. I suppose we will find out.

Just had my last trade complete and am now 95% cash with just 5% gold (SGLN) that I bought about 6 weeks ago. (Plus the odd half a million QFI shares that are dormant)

Never imagined cashing in my SIPP, ISAs and Fund accounts all at once. Crazy times!

I had stayed put and followed the passive investors mandate up till now, and thank god I did as I nearly bailed at the bottom! It just feels like things may be about to start to turn in the coming days/weeks as the Q2 figures and true extent of the furlough/redundancy crisis hits the planet. I’ve read a number of bearish commentaries from “experts” recently.

As was said above, I felt the upside from here simply has to be limited whereas the downslope could easily be bigger than the first dip.

If I end up buying back into the markets a few months from now at the same level or even slightly higher, so be it, but my bet is on buying back in a reasonable %age lower than today.

I think a few more bounces yet. Market crapping itself because they think Trump is going to mouth off at China today and escalate the Hong Kong crisis. Then next week some agreement will be made and up goes the market again. Then another ill judged tirade will happen and down we go. Up down up down. All divorced from actual reality.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is new cases per day, globally.

Ok so lots of the newer cases are not in the major economies but this is far from over.

This is new cases per day, globally.

Ok so lots of the newer cases are not in the major economies but this is far from over.

A lot more testing now though. % of tests that are positive is a better indicator IMHO

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    A lot more testing now though. % of tests that are positive is a better indicator IMHO
    Link?

Link?
    Seriously? Lol. Pretty sure it's obvious many more tests are happening daily across the world now and a link really isn't needed in this case.

Seriously? Lol. Pretty sure it's obvious many more tests are happening daily across the world now and a link really isn't needed in this case.
    Is it?

How much testing is being done in the current hotspots (USA, Brasil, Africa)? A lot less than in Asia or Europe, where numbers are dropping. So tests are increasing, but not where the action is.

I heard that pork bellies were down, and orange juice was up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I heard that pork bellies were down, and orange juice was up.

Is it about now that Jamie Lee Curtis takes her top off? Probably not as compelling as it used to be sadly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I thought you were referencing some data or source.

How much testing are Brazil and Russia doing?

Sorry I thought you were referencing some data or source.

How much testing are Brazil and Russia doing?
    Brazil not enough, Russia a lot more than the UK (6m more). According to their data (pinch of salt perhaps) they have done 69k tests per 1m inhabitants. UK is 60k per 1m inhabitants. Brazil is 4k per 1m inhabitants. Info can be found here

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Is it about now that Jamie Lee Curtis takes her top off? Probably not as compelling as it used to be sadly.
    It was on telly a few days ago, just as compelling if not more

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    It was on telly a few days ago, just as compelling if not more
    I don't think that was what Pads meant....

Fantastic movie, I use some stills from it as background for zoom meetings these days.

Master
    I think a few more bounces yet. Market crapping itself because they think Trump is going to mouth off at China today and escalate the Hong Kong crisis. Then next week some agreement will be made and up goes the market again. Then another ill judged tirade will happen and down we go. Up down up down. All divorced from actual reality.
    Is this the reason the market has been diving every Friday during this madness? Maybe an easy way to make money if it continues.

I've just received an inheritance as sadly my mother passed away last year, and though I do have an existing ISA I've held for many years I've not paid much attention to it... I'm well out of the game, and now I need to think how to invest this money.

Any advice? I presume buy-to-let is totally dead now, even if you buy the property outright with no mortgage?

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I've just received an inheritance as sadly my mother passed away last year, and though I do have an existing ISA I've held for many years I've not paid much attention to it... I'm well out of the game, and now I need to think how to invest this money.

Any advice? I presume buy-to-let is totally dead now, even if you buy the property outright with no mortgage?
    I'm not qualified as much as many on this thread to give advice, and I'm sure others will advise in due course but I just wanted to extend my sympathies for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Is this the reason the market has been diving every Friday during this madness? Maybe an easy way to make money if it continues.

Okay, here are all Friday Dow performances for 2020. The bold line divides the data into before/after the market low (23 March).

If you would be so kind and advise how to make money from it?

Last edited by Raffe; 30th May 2020 at 14:18.

Master
    Blog Entries

Sorry for your loss.

Why would you assume buy to let is out?

I was gradually exiting it but in recent weeks I’ve become perhaps more keen. Houses can not go bust and end up worth zero. Plus the yield is always there, assuming tenants pay up, where as many dividends are getting cancelled.

Master

Sorry for your loss.

With regard to buy to let, it’s not dead at all (tax regime gradually implemented over last 4 years has made it far less tax efficient, especially if you have a large mortgage on it and extra 3% stamp duty on purchase as well), it’s still a solid return. Personally I’d ‘wait and see’ if that’s a route you’re considering, for two reasons. First off, there’s going to be a big rush of buyers initially as we’ve got 3 months of people wanting and needing to move house so we’ll possibly see an artificial market for now and there’s less likely to be any deals out there. Secondly the ‘furlough scheme’ means the true extent of the economy is simply unknown. It’s holding off any real unemployment changes, which in turn would knock the housing market. Only then will we start to see what the real economy is like. So I’d wait for both those reasons.

FWIW we’ve got quite a few buy to let’s and we were fully prepared to drop rents if tenants were struggling, but touch wood, everyone has paid and we’ve not had any problems. Commercial rents - now that’s a market I’d avoid. Lots of issues.

Personally, depending on how much you’ve got, I’d recommend one thing - diversify, diversify, diversify!

Master
    Okay, here are all Friday Dow performances for 2020. The bold line divides the data into before/after the market low (23 March).

If you would be so kind and advise how to make money from it?

I must be wrong but I got the impression the FTSE seemed to go down on Fridays recently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s where the graph you quoted came from.

The stats for Brazil are shocking.

That’s where the graph you quoted came from.

The stats for Brazil are shocking.
    Yes but Brazil is lead by a president who openly cites Trump as his hero and who pretty much denies that Covid is an issue. Half the Brazil tests are coming up as positive for Covid which indicates spread in the community must be enormous. Russia appears to be testing more than UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I must be wrong but I got the impression the FTSE seemed to go down on Fridays recently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes but Brazil is lead by a president who openly cites Trump as his hero and who pretty much denies that Covid is an issue. Half the Brazil tests are coming up as positive for Covid which indicates spread in the community must be enormous. Russia appears to be testing more than UK.
    I know what is going on in Brazil, shocking ... hard to see what happens next there, I can only imagine the crisis that they must be enduring in their hospitals.

Trouble is we need a global effort to move past this virus.

The US is slowly descending into anarchy. So what shall we all do? You guessed it folks, buy more equities!!!!

(Nasdaq, Dow, SP500 all slightly up....)

Master
    I haven't bought any equities since 2008. I got absolutely hammered and sold, lost a chunk of cash. Decided it wasn't for me.

Unfortunately, I am not tempted again - been doing more and more reading. Slippery slope...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I haven't bought any equities since 2008. I got absolutely hammered and sold, lost a chunk of cash. Decided it wasn't for me.

Unfortunately, I am not tempted again - been doing more and more reading. Slippery slope...
    I cam across a video the other day of a guy who borrowed $50k or there about and then ended up losing it all in minutes. At 00:42 you can see his reaction as the numbers/total returns start to change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=A-tNkuYV4_Q

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I cam across a video the other day of a guy who borrowed $50k or there about and then ended up losing it all in minutes. At 00:42 you can see his reaction as the numbers/total returns start to change.

LOLZ, that was me on the day when the oil futures went negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

Classic r/wallstreetbets

Dow will be 30k in another 4 weeks lol 40 million unemployed, riots and throw in a bit of Covid....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    Dow will be 30k in another 4 weeks lol 40 million unemployed, riots and throw in a bit of Covid....
    Seems the only thing that matters is how much money the fed will pump into the system. The answer seems a lot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Classic r/wallstreetbets
    That would have freaked a lot of people out.

Quick question, the $6,986 total return he had before trading opened, is that likely to be from the premium of offering the options?

Im reading up about options, margins, futures etc but its all very confusing - just like it probably was for this guy lol

There's a whole subreddit dedicated to showing off your losses like a badge of honour...

I you posted your loss on that sub, you'd at least earn some reddit karma from it.
    Last edited by Christian; 3rd June 2020 at 12:58.

I dunno guys...I'd hate for the candy train to leave the station without me. Despite my fears that the "bottom" hasn't been reached yet, I just plunked down over $40K into some tech stocks. Gulp!

Craftsman
    This does play into the Fear of Losing Out mindset when you see moves like this.

Sold out of Restaurant Group with a very good return at 60p, up a further 12% today

Increased my cash holdings, on the basis Q2 results should be a car crash and beach going idiots will drive a second lock down

Let’s see.........

Just think this is madness it could well go on for a while yet but for sure there is a day of reckoning ahead

Master
    some of the price increases in the last 2 weeks seem just crazy - I don't think that I have seen anything like it before and I'm into my 70's

there seems to be a "feeding frenzy" for certain company shares when such companies would appear to be in for a very difficult future, at least

Its a bit like the late 90's the dot con era, but what it really reminds me of is 2007.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    some of the price increases in the last 2 weeks seem just crazy - I don't think that I have seen anything like it before and I'm into my 70's

there seems to be a "feeding frenzy" for certain company shares when such companies would appear to be in for a very difficult future, at least
    I had thought the same. Few prices close to or more than March pre lockdown which makes no sense for a lot of these companies.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Airlines and cruise companies like the mass population is going to jump back on next month......

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

The share seems to be the product not the company.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I dunno guys...I'd hate for the candy train to leave the station without me. Despite my fears that the "bottom" hasn't been reached yet, I just plunked down over $40K into some tech stocks. Gulp!
    Good luck. My decision to move to cash has currently cost me a lot of money, but it was a capital preservation tactic and as such is working well and I’m not ready to start rejoining the party yet.

I want to see the Q2 results first, if the markets are still up I will start to feed back in from July assuming no second wave and continuing easing of lockdown.

I think my error was to underestimate how much Central banks would be willing to pump liquidity into the system to save the markets.

My record of market timing is now running at 2:2 I probably should not get into these games, when politicians start messing with the markets wacky stuff happens.