closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 113 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,650 of 5892

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

  1. #5601
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    We had Tandberg systems installed all over the organisation after 9/11. WebEx also existed at the time.
    I’ve put email and VC systems into global companies for 30 years. Every time I did, travel increased as people started working more with people in the other offices.

  2. #5602
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Think I sold too much of CCIV too soon.
    Still think so?

  3. #5603
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I bought a little INO just to join in the fun and whilst it's gone down of late I'm happy to hold for the long term if needs be. Just wondered if the view on this stock had changed at all?

    The majority of my SIPP is in managed funds and changes rarely, although I did convert a significant percentage to cash last year for a few months but reinvested when the anticipated big crash didn't happen. Glad I did but I missed out on c5% growth as a result.

    I self invest a small amount from time to time, mainly with well established stocks like Lloyds, Rolls Royce etc primarily because I enjoy the risk/reward involved but the last 3 stocks I've held for several months have only returned to profit in the last week so I won't be giving up the day job just yet!
    I must admit my buy wasn't built on strong conviction, it was supposed to be a momentum play. I have trimmed the position a last week and am looking to add if it shows more weakness. Maybe just below $10 or so.

  4. #5604
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I must admit my buy wasn't built on strong conviction, it was supposed to be a momentum play. I have trimmed the position a last week and am looking to add if it shows more weakness. Maybe just below $10 or so.
    Raffe, thanks for that and I'm happy to see where it heads over the next few weeks as it's an affordable risk. I don't comment often so will take the opportunity to say I've appreciated you sharing your knowledge and thoughts on the thread, as I have others who are well informed (although I still have a complete aversion to crypto currencies despite the 'to the moon' price).

  5. #5605
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    920
    +1 to the above...all very much appreciated

  6. #5606
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I bought a little INO just to join in the fun and whilst it's gone down of late I'm happy to hold for the long term if needs be. Just wondered if the view on this stock had changed at all?

    The majority of my SIPP is in managed funds and changes rarely, although I did convert a significant percentage to cash last year for a few months but reinvested when the anticipated big crash didn't happen. Glad I did but I missed out on c5% growth as a result.

    I self invest a small amount from time to time, mainly with well established stocks like Lloyds, Rolls Royce etc primarily because I enjoy the risk/reward involved but the last 3 stocks I've held for several months have only returned to profit in the last week so I won't be giving up the day job just yet!
    I also got some INO, almost sold at a small loss last week when it peaked again but left it (maybe a mistake). I Will just wait it out and see what happens does seem to just be heading south. I am very new to this but the markets seem all over the place, some quick wins but also some huge losses. I don't have the money or time to invest heavily at the moment.

  7. #5607
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    HL still not letting me sell more than £1000 worth of SMT.


    It feels like it's HL not allowing it.


    Don't fancy paying the fees on doing 275 trades to get rid of it all.



    Will just have to let it ride now and hope it's picked up before I retire in 20 years.
    have you called them? they might be able to do the full trade at one time.

    Reading this thread makes me feel like I need a better job with the huge sums you guys invest.

  8. #5608
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Also got a fill on a $8.60 buy order for KOPN a little earlier (traded at $12.55 yesterday morning). Crazy world.
    Just sold KOPN again at $10.10. Crazy indeed.

  9. #5609
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,548
    SMT and BTC will go back up again. I'm holding and just not looking at the portfolio for a while. I'm tempted to buy more Argo. Tesla is hardly getting routed, unless folks here consider a 20% drop in a couple of weeks a 'rout'? And SMT is just at the point it was in Jan. It'll rose again sure as eggs is eggs. One day this week it'll rise 10% in a day I reckon.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  10. #5610
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    920
    Lol...'a while' in your case is 8 minutes Ryan!

    A volatile last few days

  11. #5611
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,475
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm tempted to buy more Argo.
    I went into Argo this morning, when I couldnt get money to Binance to buy bitcoin directly.

  12. #5612
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    SMT and BTC will go back up again. I'm holding and just not looking at the portfolio for a while. I'm tempted to buy more Argo. Tesla is hardly getting routed, unless folks here consider a 20% drop in a couple of weeks a 'rout'? And SMT is just at the point it was in Jan. It'll rose again sure as eggs is eggs. One day this week it'll rise 10% in a day I reckon.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Let's have a look in two weeks time to see how often you have bought/sold your positions by then.

  13. #5613
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Let's have a look in two weeks time to see how often you have bought/sold your positions by then.
    Sure so it is a case of do what I say and not what I do but there will be people out there looking at this as a huge opportunity to buy

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  14. #5614
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Sure so it is a case of do what I say and not what I do but there will be people out there looking at this as a huge opportunity to buy

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Bitcoin being down >20% from Monday's all-time high is quite a drop - but let's not forget that only puts it back where the all-time high was two weeks ago. Anything can happen, but you know what my view on crypto is.

  15. #5615
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It'll rose again sure as eggs is eggs.
    You may be right but I think we are eating different eggs.

  16. #5616
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Just found this: a reddit thread about shorting Tezzler. I think he is spot on.


    https://www.reddit.com/r/thecorporat...la_best_trade/

  17. #5617
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    256
    Lost my nerve this morning with ITM and sold my holding at a 3x exit. Rolled a bit into IAG hoping to catch the recovery momentum and gonna take the rest of the profit out

    Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

  18. #5618
    Can't seem to short on IG (regular) or HL (SS ISA). Maybe shorting is just for the CFD/DFT accounts?

  19. #5619
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Just sold KOPN again at $10.10. Crazy indeed.
    ...and bought again at $8.45

  20. #5620
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,658
    I think my comment about INO was clearly the kiss of death as it's heading downwards quickly

  21. #5621
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Tesla option up another 140% today. Nice.

  22. #5622
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    UK, Maldives, Singapore
    Posts
    401
    CCIV

    Dropping like a led balloon

    A lot of people will have got burned.

    Good example, Not all spacs pop on Confirmation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #5623
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    CCIV

    Dropping like a led balloon

    A lot of people will have got burned.

    Good example, Not all spacs pop on Confirmation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well not all SPACS trade at 500% premium pre-announcement. This was the craziest SPAC ever. Wouldn't have touched it with a borrowed one.

  24. #5624
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Microstrategy under $700

  25. #5625
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Tesla option up another 140% today. Nice.
    Oii. Lost half of the premium in the last 30 minutes.

    Apparently volatility works both ways.

  26. #5626
    Ouch. At least Acacia Research is making a little money.

  27. #5627
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    ...and bought again at $8.45
    ... and sold again at $10.10

  28. #5628
    Master petethegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,184
    Not for the first time in this thread I find myself thinking of Milo Minderbinder and his eggs in particular.

  29. #5629
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Not for the first time in this thread I find myself thinking of Milo Minderbinder and his eggs in particular.
    Haha, very good!

  30. #5630
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    If Tesla and BTC get hit hard by the incoming US traders this could become really ugly.
    There was an article in The Times a few days ago, reporting Tesla made more from its 1.5 billion punt on Bitcoin in January alone than it did from the whole of 2020 selling cars (edit selling carbon credits) surely for a company that's supposedly worth 700 billion dollars or the 5th highest market cap stock in the US,would send alarm bells ringing and that something is seriously wrong with Tesla valuation.

    Why do you think Tesla ran out of steam?

  31. #5631
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,548
    I guess Elon is no longer the Alpha Wolf when it comes to richest man. Bezos will have taken the honours?

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  32. #5632
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    There was an article in The Times a few days ago, reporting Tesla made more from its 1.5 billion punt on Bitcoin in January alone than it did from the whole of 2020 selling cars (edit selling carbon credits) surely for a company that's supposedly worth 700 billion dollars or the 5th highest market cap stock in the US,would send alarm bells ringing and that something is seriously wrong with Tesla valuation.

    Why do you think Tesla ran out of steam?
    Best guess for the average price for Tesla's bitcoin position is about $38k - which would mean that their profit on that was bigger than all combined profits from selling cars (about zero) and sale of emission rights since the company was founded. However, due to their accounting policy, they cannot book gains on that position until it is realised, but have to writeoff as soon as it falls below purchase price. At the lowest point today, that was only about 15% away. So the bitcoin bet may actually become Tesla's biggest problem.

    The other problems are well known: crashing market share in Europe and China, no growth, quality problems, callbacks, accounting fraud, looming legal cases because of FSD and also this and this.

  33. #5633
    I wonder what would happen if it turned out in their next filing that Tesla had sold all of their Bitcoin.

  34. #5634
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul View Post
    I wonder what would happen if it turned out in their next filing that Tesla had sold all of their Bitcoin.
    Nothing would happen.

    Even if they booked a billion profit on that deal, will do nothing to justify their valuation.

  35. #5635
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    ... and sold again at $10.10
    ... and bought again $ 9.10

  36. #5636
    Master stoneyloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sunny Stoney by the Sea!
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    ... and bought again $ 9.10
    Is that a record for most deals in a day of the same stock?

    Cheers,

    Adam.

  37. #5637
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Nothing would happen.

    Even if they booked a billion profit on that deal, will do nothing to justify their valuation.
    Mightn’t help the bitcoin price though!

  38. #5638
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Best guess for the average price for Tesla's bitcoin position is about $38k - which would mean that their profit on that was bigger than all combined profits from selling cars (about zero) and sale of emission rights since the company was founded. However, due to their accounting policy, they cannot book gains on that position until it is realised, but have to writeoff as soon as it falls below purchase price. At the lowest point today, that was only about 15% away. So the bitcoin bet may actually become Tesla's biggest problem.

    The other problems are well known: crashing market share in Europe and China, no growth, quality problems, callbacks, accounting fraud, looming legal cases because of FSD and also this and this.
    So its currently down 25% from it all time high ($900),Am I right in saying that a lot of Robin Hooder traders/reddit trades/Tesla fanboys etc mostly buy Tesla shares on leverage (is
    the standard 10 x leverage?)either Margin or puts/call options so a lot of these people will be starting to sweat or are seriously screwed as there positions get closed and this will push the price down further and further ?

  39. #5639
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    So its currently down 25% from it all time high ($900),Am I right in saying that a lot of Robin Hooder traders/reddit trades/Tesla fanboys etc mostly buy Tesla shares on leverage (is
    the standard 10 x leverage?)either Margin or puts/call options so a lot of these people will be starting to sweat or are seriously screwed as there positions get closed and this will push the price down further and further ?
    I think it will take a little more downside before the big forced selling begins. Don't think 10 times leverage is what the YOLO traders do, the aggressive ones are sitting on call options which will soon lapse worthless (which is probably the first time they experience that).

    Once Tesla is below $500 there is no stopping, $420 looms large.

  40. #5640
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Loading up TSLA $500 puts.

  41. #5641
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    UK, Maldives, Singapore
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Well not all SPACS trade at 500% premium pre-announcement. This was the craziest SPAC ever. Wouldn't have touched it with a borrowed one.
    Totally agree with it being crazy I've been selling out for weeks on the position.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #5642
    Master Bernard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

    Once Tesla is below $500 there is no stopping, $420 looms large.
    I believe the Reddit folks like 420.69 😉

    I think you are right btw. Tesla is grossly overvalued, 1.4 million per car they produced in a year in valuation iirc.

  43. #5643
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    BUY NOW. Don't ask. Buy (not Tesla).

  44. #5644
    Master ~dadam02~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    3,488
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quite a recovery from TSLA today, which is annoying.

  45. #5645
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Quite a recovery from TSLA today, which is annoying.
    Somebody bought 35,000 $700 FEB26 calls when the stock was in free-fall around $610. They bet $30 Mio on that Tesla will be $100 higher in three days. Elon?

    Congress would better spend their time examining that kind of market manipulation than going after Roaring Kitty.

    Disclosure: cost me $50k. I am furious.

  46. #5646
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Somebody bought 35,000 $700 FEB26 calls when the stock was in free-fall around $610. They bet $30 Mio on that Tesla will be $100 higher in three days. Elon?

    Congress would better spend their time examining that kind of market manipulation than going after Roaring Kitty.

    Disclosure: cost me $50k. I am furious.
    Geez. That sucks. Sorry to hear about that loss and that does stink a lot like manipulation.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  47. #5647
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    920
    Not good...sorry to hear that

  48. #5648
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    13,517
    OUCH.

  49. #5649
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Somebody bought 35,000 $700 FEB26 calls when the stock was in free-fall around $610. They bet $30 Mio on that Tesla will be $100 higher in three days. Elon?
    Wouldn't be surprised, he really does seem the type. £30m for a 3 day bet during free fall is worthy of investigation.

    On a separate note I just saw this and can't belief what the Robinhood kids are doing.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLPrnj8Aj1w/

  50. #5650
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised, he really does seem the type. £30m for a 3 day bet during free fall is worthy of investigation.

    On a separate note I just saw this and can't belief what the Robinhood kids are doing.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLPrnj8Aj1w/
    This lad is actually a super smart kid.

    Has a YouTube channel where he does all these challenges. Made his money in E-commerce by dropshipping and stuff.

    I do agree though the access people have to trade on margin now is scary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information