closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broadband speed to die for!

Broadband speed to die for!

We don't even have fibre where I live and probably never will, so this is but a dream anyway :(

https://www.aston.ac.uk/latest-news/...rage-broadband

That's almost terrifying.

My quick calculation says this is 358 terabytes per second.

Good grief.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Broadband speed to die for!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Good grief.
    Deleted

Master
    It makes me chuckle that they feel 69mbits/sec is the national average! We get 4mbits/sec if we are lucky.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    It makes me chuckle that they feel 69mbits/sec is the national average! We get 4mbits/sec if we are lucky.
    Are your neighbours with different providers getting the same sort of speed ?

We used Orange in France (equivalent to BT) and got 2mbps. Then I thought why am I paying a premium price for a crap service and switched to their cheaper offshoot (Sosh - similar to Plusnet). It saved us about £13 a month and the speed quadrupled.
    Last edited by catflem; 9th April 2024 at 13:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Good grief.

301 terabits according to the article, which in a sense would be 37.625 terabytes of stuff going down the wire every second, but - not all of that would be "payload" or actual transferred data, some of it is protocol overheads Staggering nonetheless. Another consideration is the speed of the hardware attached to the network, I have to wonder how much data they sent across. Even the fastest regular commercial computer memory has data rates measured in GB (not TB) per second.

Good correction. Maths was never my strong point.

Still absolutely staggering.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    The broadband speeds at our new place are pretty poor but if you really need fast broadband, Starlink is available everywhere in the UK now and offers warp-speed compared to the cable providers.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    The broadband speeds at our new place are pretty poor but if you really need fast broadband, Starlink is available everywhere in the UK now and offers warp-speed compared to the cable providers.
    Starlink would be a lot better than what we have here right now. But £75 pm (plus dish cost) ...... ouch, will have to pass on that.

<not a fan of Elon either tbh>

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I would do without before I knowingly pay a penny to Musk.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

BT in their wisdom stopped rolling our fibre to the property at our next door neighbours, so we pay the same price as them for fibre to the cabinet (10 to 15 MBPS). No sign of them restarting fibre rollout anytime soon, unless the road clubs together and pays for it!!!

Looked at Starlink but by-god is it expensive. Don't have the £75 per month to pay for that (but owning a Tesla I've already lined Elon's pockets :-( )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j90rdn View Post
    BT in their wisdom stopped rolling our fibre to the property at our next door neighbours, so we pay the same price as them for fibre to the cabinet (10 to 15 MBPS). No sign of them restarting fibre rollout anytime soon, unless the road clubs together and pays for it!!!

Looked at Starlink but by-god is it expensive. Don't have the £75 per month to pay for that (but owning a Tesla I've already lined Elon's pockets :-( )
    strange. Starlink here is 40€ a month + 250€ for the kit. I’m only getting 40MBps on 4G (I guess trottled by the supplier) - so tempted by Starlink. Any real world data on speeds please? Scrub that - found a site https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-...s-2023-vs-2022
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th April 2024 at 16:35.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I would do without before I knowingly pay a penny to Musk.
    + The light pollution we could do without.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    strange. Starlink here is 40€ a month + 250€ for the kit. I’m only getting 40MBps on 4G (I guess trottled by the supplier) - so tempted by Starlink. Any real world data on speeds please? Scrub that - found a site https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-...s-2023-vs-2022
    40 Euros per month is roughly what I'm paying for standard broadband, so would happily pay that for Starlink. We're obviously being rinsed as usual in the UK.

I have the same problem- City Fibre gave up a few doors before reaching me.

Craftsman
    By coincidence I have just finished setting up the new cablemodem sent to me by Virgin as part of my new contract. Coaxial to the 'modem, then gigabit ethernet to the Mesh hub. 5GHz and a gigabit ethernet connection to my desktop, and I am getting 900Mbps download and 100Mbps upload. Overkill even for WFH, but if I had let my old contract lapse I would end up paying £40pm more for half the speed...

I have never had a copper (or aluminium) telephone line to the house, so no chance to compare, or get it upgraded to fibre.

End to end telecommunications are only as fast as the end devices that use them. So this sort of speed is pointless in every day use. Having said that, if time division or statistical division multiplexing can be developed to operate at such speeds then use as intersite or interexchange would be more useful - likely that is the way it will ultimately go.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

40 Euros per month is roughly what I'm paying for standard broadband, so would happily pay that for Starlink. We're obviously being rinsed as usual in the UK.
    We've just installed Starlink to our rural office after years of 1mb or less download speed, and it's revolutionary. 90mb download out the box for £75 per month, no contract.

I also held my nose and bit the bullet and had Starlink installed. I needed something much better than what Sky could provide.

Equipment is currently half price and pretty much plug and play unless you want to instal the dish on your roof. We added an extra cable to go to the neighbours and they have an access point and a separate network and therefore we split the £75 monthly cost which brings it down to just a tenner more than Sky! The speeds are great but can be bettered by good fibre. Top speed to date was over 300Mbps but currently around 110Mbps. Weather and load can affect speeds.

Also the Starlink WiFi router doesn’t have a great range and so using a TP Link Deco 75e Mesh system to push the signal fully around the house!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Are your neighbours with different providers getting the same sort of speed ?

We used Orange in France (equivalent to BT) and got 2mbps. Then I thought why am I paying a premium price for a crap service and switched to their cheaper offshoot (Sosh - similar to Plusnet). It saved us about £13 a month and the speed quadrupled.
    Yes, it's as good as it gets via cooper cable. We have a fibre option, installed, in the loosest possible way, by one company, they just dig up anything and everything as they have the contract apparently, shame I missed them digging up my front boundary..
    but they then have a complete monopoly once the initial sweetener is finished, but I'm reluctant to use that.
    But, everything works. Very occasionally the TV is slow but it's very rare. We use another place with slightly higher speeds (via a mobile router) which again runs various devices and rarely struggles. Sometimes I wonder about these "speeds"..