closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 48 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,400 of 8872

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Amazon shares this year +60%

Almost like we've gone online being stuck at home or something

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

yep I moved all my Standard Life Pensions into a HL Sipp and whacked it all (yes stupid / brave / daft) into Amazon on August 5th last year total gain since then = 50.01 % and today 4.1 %.....

In trading account I took a bath on ASI UK Smaller companies 10 days ago after it doing so well for so long I just got the jitters on a full recovery and on June 25th shoved all that on Amazon also...its up 9.68%....

A predicted second wave of lockdowns and changing buying habits really do favour the business model...

Bezos wow can probably buy Bermuda and Seychelles....

anyway watch it go tits tomorrow....haha...

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    yep I moved all my Standard Life Pensions into a HL Sipp and whacked it all (yes stupid / brave / daft) into Amazon on August 5th last year total gain since then = 50.01 % and today 4.1 %.....

In trading account I took a bath on ASI UK Smaller companies 10 days ago after it doing so well for so long I just got the jitters on a full recovery and on June 25th shoved all that on Amazon also...its up 9.68%....

A predicted second wave of lockdowns and changing buying habits really do favour the business model...

Wow, nice one

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well played that man.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Well played that man.
    still have a wee dent to fill on Trading account but Amazon has helped recover it nicely.

Its very much all eggs in 1 basket so not exactly fool proof and if something big hits (legislation / taxation / TRUMP) then that's a problem, but Amazon seems to be the best of the FAANGS imho.

I don't get Facebook period (age thing) and if advertising revenue evaporates hmmm.

got a bit of FOMO on Tesla but i just don't see the Market Cap , the volatility of CEO and threat from main stream manufacturers getting their act together on EV's....but one hell of a ride for those brave enough....

fingers & toes crossed Amazon keeps rocking...Team 'Jeff'...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    still have a wee dent to fill on Trading account but Amazon has helped recover it nicely.

Its very much all eggs in 1 basket so not exactly fool proof and if something big hits (legislation / taxation / TRUMP) then that's a problem, but Amazon seems to be the best of the FAANGS imho.

I don't get Facebook period (age thing) and if advertising revenue evaporates hmmm.

got a bit of FOMO on Tesla but i just don't see the Market Cap , the volatility of CEO and threat from main stream manufacturers getting their act together on EV's....but one hell of a ride for those brave enough....

fingers & toes crossed Amazon keeps rocking...Team 'Jeff'...
    I say stick with it!

Tesla, up another 13.5% today.

Or simply speaking, Tesla adding on more market cap today than the combined total value of Peugeot and Fiat, including Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Citreon, Opel and Vauxhall. Absolutely normal.

One day we wake up and Tesla will gap down 80%.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

Or simply speaking, Tesla adding on more market cap today than the combined total value of Peugeot and Fiat, including Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Citreon, Opel and Vauxhall. Absolutely normal.

Like a modern day Charles Ponzi ! So many people buy into what he says.

Maybe in years to come this will be the 21st centuries tulip mania.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Maybe in years to come this will be the 21st centuries tulip mania.
    I reckon months.

Master
    Blog Entries

Tesla seems to be the poster boy for the markets as a whole.

When will the mania stop?

Master

Ouch Raffe. Did you add to your short? I've been watching this stock for a while now and still can't comprehend how its reached this level. Completely out of whack with the underlying fundamentals.

Anyways, how are you doing the short trade on this? Particularly how are you hedging the upside risk?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Ouch Raffe. Did you add to your short? I've been watching this stock for a while now and still can't comprehend how its reached this level. Completely out of whack with the underlying fundamentals.

Anyways, how are you doing the short trade on this? Particularly how are you hedging the upside risk?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    I bought outright puts and am down over 50% on the principal premium. I was actually considering hedging with buying put and calls, but the crazy volatility kept me from doing it - should have known better that whatever the implied volatility on Tesla is, reality will be worse. Well, will just sit this out, another couple of months to go until the options expire. Lots can/will happen until then.

10 X

So which is which?

And before you are talking about hypergrowth:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some of the Tesla shorts must be in big trouble now ...

To be honest Raffe having worked with Ford for 20+ years and seen how they err spend money and looking at Tesla price MKT Cap vs financial reality..

I think I will stick with Amazon & Netflix and maybe a dash of JD Sports....hey only 1 hour 39 mins till open !

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Some of the Tesla shorts must be in big trouble now ...
    https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...20-7?r=US&IR=T

They seem to be holding up OK on ebay.

Master
    I bought outright puts and am down over 50% on the principal premium. I was actually considering hedging with buying put and calls, but the crazy volatility kept me from doing it - should have known better that whatever the implied volatility on Tesla is, reality will be worse. Well, will just sit this out, another couple of months to go until the options expire. Lots can/will happen until then.
    Unusual times, Raffe, the Roulette wheel is still spinning!!

Do you think part of the issue is that investors are using historical financial models that state along the lines of 'when x happens, y happens 90% of the time' and basically 'following the model' even though those models were based on financial markets influenced by financial events and not a once in a lifetime pandemic? Basically I'm getting at the fact that the historical 'book plays' that many people might be following might not be appropriate in this situation and what you have left is basically human sentiment which is totally unpredictable?

I'm pretty sure the plot for the next 'The Big Short' type movie is being played out now and a few people may get very rich whilst a lot of us will be left in our sh*t-stained underpants at the end of it all?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Do you think part of the issue is that investors are using historical financial models that state along the lines of 'when x happens, y happens 90% of the time' and basically 'following the model' even though those models were based on financial markets influenced by financial events and not a once in a lifetime pandemic? Basically I'm getting at the fact that the historical 'book plays' that many people might be following might not be appropriate in this situation and what you have left is basically human sentiment which is totally unpredictable?

I'm pretty sure the plot for the next 'The Big Short' type movie is being played out now and a few people may get very rich whilst a lot of us will be left in our sh*t-stained underpants at the end of it all?
    Isn't it a fact that 80% of retail investors in CFD trading lose money

Master
    Blog Entries

I suspect there are a number of chartists/technical analysts saying the trend is up follow the trend ... and they maybe correct as the trend reflects the Fed printing money but the whole thing does not seem to match up with the employment and small/medium business issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Isn't it a fact that 80% of retail investors in CFD trading lose money
    Yes, and is not like the 20% are making what the others are losing. The only one really making money is the market maker.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Yes, and is not like the 20% are making what the others are losing. The only one really making money is the market maker.
    10 for 1 share split, apparently he has said he is thinking about it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another tactic to pump up the market cap.

Another tactic to pump up the market cap.
    If that is the tactic to pump up the market cap, there isn't much left other than the hope of retail investors giving it a last push.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If that is the tactic to pump up the market cap, there isn't much left other than the hope of retail investors giving it a last push.

Share splits usually give a little boost.

Share splits usually give a little boost.
    Any evidence for that claim?

Master
    The Bull market is still running, it may have stuttered but the sentiment is still there

I'm just waiting to sell the rest of "everything" ..........hasn't the DOW just fallen by 300 points

This satisfies as evidence these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only anecdotal based on personal experiences but google suggests it’s relatively neutral.

Master
    It depends on the company and the financial climate

It may get Tesla into the Dow 30, because of how it is made up/weighting, (and all these "bits and pieces" of corporate games add credibility), and of course would probably increase the number of retail investors, with little effect on the Institutional shareholders

But as far as the share price is concerned, other factors, at the present time, are far more important than a share split

But I would think that from Elon's POV it may not be a bad thing to do
    Last edited by BillN; 7th July 2020 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Chr1stof View Post
    This satisfies as evidence these days.
    Now I am a believer

Master
    The Mrs seems to have done quite well on NIO in the last week. Riding the Tesla wave, or...?
    Last edited by gcleminson; 8th July 2020 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    The Mrs seems to have done quite well on NIO in the last week. Riding the Tesla wave, or...?
    Number 1 rule when trading absolute garbage: don't forget to sell before you are the one left holding the bag.

Master
    I just don't know how to describe what's happening with Tesla, it's a phenomena, but not really good - I'm sure there's some value there, but nowhere near the US$1300 a share, but I suppose it has more value than a crypto.

Elon has been quiet recently - not put his foot in it - and the share price is on the up
    Last edited by BillN; 8th July 2020 at 20:14.

Master
    are people shorting AML?

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    I revisited this thread to see what date my side bet with Passenger was due. I guess a lot can happen in 4 days.....
    I just put 50 quid in the TZ fundraiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Same here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I thought you’d both win those bets.

Blog Entries
    What happened this afternoon, the markets looked to tank pretty heavily?

I'm one of the new covidinvestors, started using HL after spending about a year playing with various demo share accounts. So far only invested in two shares. Being always on my computer with work I have alerts for when I reach a certain percentage above what I want. So far I'm up ~£600 on a £2k starting amount which seems ok. Could all go wrong but I won't go to 0, just may lose money. This afternoon's antics don't seem to have hit me luckily.

FiL is a long time share player and has managed to fund a couple of cars using his shares. He has yet to embrace online dealing and still uses brokers so I'm hoping to tempt him across so he can react a bit quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by tomp View Post
    I'm one of the new covidinvestors, started using HL after spending about a year playing with various demo share accounts. So far only invested in two shares. Being always on my computer with work I have alerts for when I reach a certain percentage above what I want. So far I'm up ~£600 on a £2k starting amount which seems ok. Could all go wrong but I won't go to 0, just may lose money. This afternoon's antics don't seem to have hit me luckily.

FiL is a long time share player and has managed to fund a couple of cars using his shares. He has yet to embrace online dealing and still uses brokers so I'm hoping to tempt him across so he can react a bit quicker.
    Do you pay per trade? How many trades do you expect to do with your £2k?
    I’m a novice but it seems not worth the risk if all you’re doing small amounts?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    What happened this afternoon, the markets looked to tank pretty heavily?
    Not my mate Jeff go Amazon 😉

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking about Tesla and looking at this list over breakfast.

https://www.corporateinformation.com...aspx?topcase=b

In the 90s I worked in technology and followed the tremendous growth of Cisco who I believe topped this list in 2000.

They were a great company and yet their share price is still some way off the 2000 peak 20 years later.

The bubble burst but it still took over a year for the real value to be found. Som 80% off the peak in 2001.

The markets can creat monsters that can survive for long periods and see enormous growth but eventually reality arrives and spoils the party.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Do you pay per trade? How many trades do you expect to do with your £2k?
    I’m a novice but it seems not worth the risk if all you’re doing small amounts?
    It's £11.95 a trade so if you're doing trades for small amounts with small percentages it will end up costing you money. I'm up at the minute and enough that it covers the cost and I have made some money so if I stop here I'm happy. Hopefully I'll be able to make enough to keep going. I'm more focusing on the low value shares that are high risk at the moment instead of the big ticket ones.

I thought you’d both win those bets.
    Well done chaps, worthy cause too so everyone is a winner. I 'won' the bet but I too will stick £50 in as I'm sure charities are getting less money now

Just bought some Boohoo stock and Micro Focus stock. Both seem cheap

Master
    Anyone any thoughts on where the bottom is for Cineworld and Rolls Royce? I don't self manage much at all but these two are runaway losers for me, I don't have a large amount invested so letting it run but interested in how low folk think they'll go.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Master
    I wonder what Raffe would advise...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I wonder what Raffe would advise...hmmm
    +1

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just bought some Boohoo stock and Micro Focus stock. Both seem cheap
    Boohoo. Good luck with that. Lots of speculation about mismanagement of suppliers, some of whom actually owned by senior directors.