Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
It’s now dipped below the point it was at in 2010. That’s 10 year of growth wiped off in 2 weeks. Frightening.

Well done to those who sold up in February.

Like so many others, I’ve been painfully watching my pension and savings value plummet over the last 2 weeks, unable to do anything about it with any level of confidence.

Luckily, with around 20 years until I’ll draw on the pension, by then it’ll just be another blip, but what a difference we all could have made if we’d acted to sell up at the 1st signs of trouble.
in previous "major events" you could safely rely on everything halving; my gut feeling is this is bigger than anything before and coming in an era of greater globalisation we are all in it together & that it could half again ie down to a quarter of Jan 2020 levels….. and then a 5 to 10 year recovery. I am not sure it will be just "another blip" - I was hoping to retire in 10 years and those illusionary assumptions we make when we look at our investments are looking rather shattered.

my accountant emailed me this morning saying I could top up my SIPP before April 5th - I may well do that to get the tax benefit..... but will I actually know what to buy with it... not a chance ! BA have a cash pile of 9 billion GBP, and once they start burning through that and other airlines go bust it may be many months before we see how a whole new economy starts again.

I think residential property might be the safe defensive play, but you can't buy that with your pension funds.